machotrouts

Inverse Dead Pool 2022

Turnbull was not as high as ONJ for me but still midtable

Pretty much waved goodbye to this one unless everyone else had Gorby in their No.1 slot

• Like 2

On 18/01/2022 at 14:17, msc said:
  1. Bill Turnbull

873026609acf2c9371f20b8f8b7e9f91.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Well, that is probably my game over with Turnbull's death.

He who hesitates on an update on the leaderboard though. They have the real challenge ahead, 4 deaths and it's still morning here. :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Turnbull was not as high as ONJ for me but still midtable

Pretty much waved goodbye to this one unless everyone else had Gorby in their No.1 slot

This, word for word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After a quick look at the teams I think that the best teams in ranking atm are:

Pedro67 (3 PTS )

Theoldlady and newjack (6 PTS)

Macthrotous and Sean (7 PTS)

But I could have missed something or someone...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let Me Hear Your Body Cark

olivia-foster-kane.png

Call her "Oia", because she won't be needing that second syllable anymore – Olivia Newton-John, British-Australian-Xanadian pop icon, isn't feeling very well-a well-a well-a, uh, anymore, anymore, as she has died at the age of 73, after a 146-year battle with cancer. Now when one is asked "did she put up a fight?", one can simply answer "yes", without it being a tacit admission of sexual assault.

She's our biggest landmine yet – insofar as every unsuspecting modern pop fan who dares to explore her discography on the strength of 'Physical' is horrified to find it full of Hot AC country ballads. But yes, she's also a landmine in this contest, as this year's 15th most popular Inverse pick. It's bad news for 35 of you, but amongst the lowlights are former Inverse Dead Pool champions @Bibliogryphon, @Spade_Cooley, @TQR, and @BabyBlue all slumming it in the bottom 13, and five evictions from the Zero Points Club, including a devastating 20 points for @Death Impends, and an even more devastating 7 points for your poor host @machotrouts – can you blame me for dragging my feet on this update? But congratulations to last remaining 0-pointers Seany Zuko and thepinklady, who go together like ramma lamma lamma ka dinga da dinga dong and are now flying their car into space to crash into the Sun or whatever it is that's happening at the end of Grease.

Tell me more! Tell me more! Yes, I know I've got three more of these to write, but I need a nap or two, so hopefully this was the one that you wanted (the one that you wanted) ooh ooh ooh.

GAINED TOTAL
1. Sean   0
1. theoldlady   0
3. YoungWillz   1
4. Nick   2
5. Pedro67 +1 3
6. BuffaloPhil +2 6
6. Newjack +2 6
8. machotrouts +7 7
9. Sideik +9 9
10. YorkshireBanker +10 10
10. Grim Up North +10 10
12. Sir Creep   11
13. msc   12
14. Funeralopolis +11 14
14. GuyFromFuture   14
14. An Fear Beag   14
17. CaptainChorizo +7 15
17. gcreptile   15
19. drol +9 17
19. Book   17
21. wannamaker +11 18
21. Joey Russ +3 18
21. Philip   18
24. The Unknown Man   19
25. Death Impends +20 20
26. LizLemon +16 21
27. MariNisia +16 22
27. Predictor +15 22
27. Banana +10 22
30. Toast +12 23
30. Pedro67's wife +2 23
32. Perhaps +17 24
32. deadsox +5 24
34. ThereWillBeDeaths7   25
35. MortalCaso +19 26
36. Bibliogryphon +16 27
37. CastAway +17 29
38. Annami +17 30
39. The Old Crem +8 31
40. Spade_Cooley +19 32
41. TQR +16 33
42. Great Uncle Bulgaria +19 38
43. BabyBlue +15 39
44. Doulton +8 50
45. chilean way +23 54
46. Neobrakeon +1 56
47. machotrouts' mum +23 58
48. Hell +19 64
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, machotrouts said:

Let Me Hear Your Body Cark

olivia-foster-kane.png

Call her "Oia", because she won't be needing that second syllable anymore – Olivia Newton-John, British-Australian-Xanadian pop icon, isn't feeling very well-a well-a well-a, uh, anymore, anymore, as she has died at the age of 73, after a 146-year battle with cancer. Now when one is asked "did she put up a fight?", one can simply answer "yes", without it being a tacit admission of sexual assault.

She's our biggest landmine yet – insofar as every unsuspecting modern pop fan who dares to explore her discography on the strength of 'Physical' is horrified to find it full of Hot AC country ballads. But yes, she's also a landmine in this contest, as this year's 15th most popular Inverse pick. It's bad news for 35 of you, but amongst the lowlights are former Inverse Dead Pool champions @Bibliogryphon, @Spade_Cooley, @TQR, and @BabyBlue all slumming it in the bottom 13, and five evictions from the Zero Points Club, including a devastating 20 points for @Death Impends, and an even more devastating 7 points for your poor host @machotrouts – can you blame me for dragging my feet on this update? But congratulations to last remaining 0-pointers Seany Zuko and thepinklady, who go together like ramma lamma lamma ka dinga da dinga dong and are now flying their car into space to crash into the Sun or whatever it is that's happening at the end of Grease.

Tell me more! Tell me more! Yes, I know I've got three more of these to write, but I need a nap or two, so hopefully this was the one that you wanted (the one that you wanted) ooh ooh ooh.

Beautifully crafted - love it!

• Like 5

The Only Good Kopf Is A Dead Kopf

Tom Weiskopf, the second most famous golf player in this year's Inverse Dead Pool after Donald Trump, has died of pancreatic cancer – very much the "maybe it would save time just to write the Inverse obit in advance" of cancers – at the fairly on-par age of 79. Fortunately, he dies at a boom time for golf course burials, so he'll no doubt be swapping maggots with Ivana as we speak.

Weiskopf (which is apparently pronounced "why scoff", if you made the mistake of thinking the headline was a good pun) proves to be this pool's fourth most mortal Tom, after Parker, Smith, and your host, who currently has, idk, flu or covid or something, and is being a very brave sweaty boy for you all right now.

As this year's third least popular Inverse pick, he's very much the eye of our recent death storm – only 5 players picked a bogey here, and none of them has truly been driven out into the rough, so why scoff at that?

GAINED TOTAL
1. Sean   0
1. theoldlady   0
3. YoungWillz   1
4. Pedro67   3
5. Nick +3 5
6. BuffaloPhil   6
6. Newjack   6
8. machotrouts   7
9. Sideik   9
10. YorkshireBanker   10
10. Grim Up North   10
12. Sir Creep   11
13. msc   12
14. Funeralopolis   14
14. GuyFromFuture   14
14. An Fear Beag   14
17. CaptainChorizo   15
17. gcreptile   15
19. drol   17
20. wannamaker   18
20. Joey Russ   18
20. Philip   18
23. Death Impends   20
24. LizLemon   21
25. Book +5 22
25. MariNisia   22
25. Predictor   22
25. Banana   22
29. Toast   23
29. Pedro67's wife   23
31. Perhaps   24
31. deadsox   24
33. The Unknown Man +6 25
33. ThereWillBeDeaths7   25
35. MortalCaso   26
36. Bibliogryphon   27
37. CastAway +1 30
37. Annami   30
39. The Old Crem   31
40. Spade_Cooley   32
41. TQR   33
42. Great Uncle Bulgaria   38
43. BabyBlue   39
44. Doulton   50
45. chilean way   54
46. Neobrakeon +2 58
47. machotrouts' mum   58
48. Hell   64
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

No One Out-Pizzas the Reaper

Pizza Hut mascot Mikhail Gorbachev has died at the age of 91. Gorbachev, a figure from a happier time when pizza was a symbol of international cooperation in politics and not satanic paedophile cellars, also had a little-known career as the Soviet Union leader who presided over his country's liberalisation and ultimate dissolution, noted for his policies of glasnost (openness), perestroika (restructuring), and margherita (cheese and tomato). Gorbachev, winner of the Nobel Pizza Prize for his role in ending the Cold War era and starting the Hot Pizza era, leaves an ambivalent legacy among the left – was he the heroically doomed but necessary reformer of Soviet communism, or the fool who sold out a flawed but worthy cause to shill pizza for American capitalist pigs? What we do know is, he was undeniably that guy with the big purple thing on his head.

Gorbachev also proves to be a great reformer of the Inverse Dead Pool leaderboard. @Sir Creep and @msc, who were quietly creeping up on the top 10, are suddenly banished to oblivion in exactly the kind of Stalinist erasure poor Gorby hoped to put a stop to, and we also have a new bottom 2, thanks to @Doulton and @chilean way gambling big on the continued survival of the regularly hospitalised nonagenarian who everyone seemed to think was long dead already (that's three people doing worse than my mum now, so thanks everyone!).

Furthermore, five of the pre-Gorbadeath top six are hit with points (only @Pedro67 comes away unscathed), which means ol' Mikky Gorbo also presides over the dissolution of the Zero Points Club, with @Sean and @theoldlady receiving their first points of the game. But, with Sean receiving 8 points and theoldlady only 1, we finally have our first leaderboard with an individual leader – congratulations, theoldlady! Of course, if we're to see through this dissolution of the Soviet Union analogy, that probably makes her... Russia? So she's responsible for all that shit in Ukraine? theoldlady, you should be ashamed of yourself.

GAINED TOTAL
1. theoldlady +1 1
2. Pedro67   3
3. YoungWillz +4 5
4. Newjack   6
5. machotrouts   7
6. Sean +8 8
7. Sideik   9
8. YorkshireBanker   10
8. Grim Up North   10
10. Nick +9 14
10. Funeralopolis   14
10. GuyFromFuture   14
10. An Fear Beag   14
14. BuffaloPhil +9 15
14. CaptainChorizo   15
14. gcreptile   15
17. drol   17
18. Joey Russ   18
19. Philip +2 20
19. Death Impends   20
21. LizLemon   21
22. Book   22
22. MariNisia   22
22. Predictor   22
22. Banana   22
26. Toast   23
26. Pedro67's wife   23
28. msc +13 25
28. ThereWillBeDeaths7   25
30. MortalCaso   26
31. wannamaker +9 27
31. Bibliogryphon   27
33. The Unknown Man +3 28
34. Sir Creep +18 29
35. CastAway   30
35. Annami   30
37. deadsox +7 31
37. The Old Crem   31
39. Spade_Cooley   32
40. TQR   33
41. Perhaps +12 36
42. BabyBlue   39
43. Great Uncle Bulgaria +3 41
44. Neobrakeon   58
44. machotrouts' mum   58
46. Hell   64
47. chilean way +17 71
48. Doulton +22 72
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Ask Not for Whom the Bill Turns... It Turns for Bull

British radio and TV presenter Bill Turnbull has died of prostate cancer at the age of 66 – 4 years out from announcing his diagnosis and disclosing his fears that he might only have 12 years to live. Best known for presenting BBC Breakfast, that weirdly tense thing your dad has on in the morning where it's nominally a light-hearted magazine show but everyone consistently dresses and behaves like they're afraid they might have to announce a major royal death any second, he also made various other TV appearances, including a stint on Strictly Come Dancing you don't remember at all, and Richard Osman's House of Games, where he's only the second contestant to die, after Carlos Menem was taken out by a particularly brutal Answer Smash.

(You know how usually terminal cancer patients get really skinny near the end, but sometimes they get really bloated instead? I don't know the science, all I know is it seems like change of shape = imminent doom. In any case, it looks like 18 of you didn't see the 2021 House of Games where he looked like he'd been fished straight out of the ocean before shooting. Still, he won his week, so there's a legacy for you.)

Some of you are paying a hefty Bill on Turnbull – including @msc, who incurs the first 25-point penalty of the year, @Hell, who reclaims the bottom spot where they at least thematically belong, and poor dependable thread updater @YoungWillz, who plummets from a promising podium placement to middle-of-the-board misery. But it's only 5 points that see fortunes turn to a load of bull for @theoldlady – she falls to joint 2nd with a rising @Newjack, and we have a new leader in @Pedro67. Congratulations, Pedro67! And this time, it won't be immediately superseded by another update I'm already supposed to have written, because I think we're caught up!

GAINED TOTAL
1. Pedro67   3
2. theoldlady +5 6
2. Newjack   6
4. machotrouts   7
5. Sean   8
6. Sideik   9
7. YorkshireBanker   10
8. An Fear Beag   14
9. BuffaloPhil   15
9. gcreptile   15
11. CaptainChorizo +3 18
11. Joey Russ   18
13. Funeralopolis +6 20
13. GuyFromFuture +6 20
13. Philip   20
16. LizLemon   21
17. Nick +8 22
17. Book   22
17. MariNisia   22
17. Predictor   22
17. Banana   22
22. Toast   23
23. YoungWillz +19 24
23. Grim Up North +14 24
23. Pedro67's wife +1 24
26. ThereWillBeDeaths7   25
27. MortalCaso   26
28. wannamaker   27
29. drol +11 28
29. The Unknown Man   28
31. deadsox   31
31. The Old Crem   31
33. Death Impends +12 32
33. Spade_Cooley   32
35. TQR   33
36. Sir Creep +8 37
37. CastAway +8 38
38. BabyBlue   39
39. Annami +10 40
40. Bibliogryphon +14 41
40. Great Uncle Bulgaria   41
42. Perhaps +8 44
43. msc +25 50
44. Neobrakeon   58
45. machotrouts' mum +12 70
46. chilean way   71
47. Doulton   72
48. Hell +17 81
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Top 3 for 8 months, and it comes to this, lol.

Thanks @machotrouts, those update commentaries were well worth the wait!

Next one imminent I feel, keep your quill to hand. :lol:

• Like 4

It was going unusually well until the last few weeks!

• Like 2

I appear to be doing them in order, bottom upwards. Jerry Lee Lewis is doomed I tell ya !

• Like 2

On 22/01/2022 at 03:46, Sir Creep said:

Sir Creep (will buy you 5 lbs coffee if any of his top 10 die)

1. Shane McGowan

2. Donald Trump

3. Phil Collins

4. Ghislaine Maxwell

5. Clint Eastwood

6. Linda Nolan

7. Billy Connolly 

8. Mikhail Gorbachev image.gif.a94eea7057971639faee6351ac9a8308.gif

9. Paul Gascoigne

10. Yoko Ono

11. Mel Brooks

12. Rupert Murdoch

13. Eva Marie Saint

14. Rolf Harris

15. Angela Lansbury

16. Dick Van Dyke

17. Tim Bilton

18. Bill Turnbull

19. Sir Bobby Charlton

20. Tom Parker

21. June Brown

22. James Whale

23. Willie Nelson

24. Harry Belafonte

25. Jerry Lee Lewis

Sub: Françoise Hardy 

Please donate my 5 lbs of coffee to a Food Bank in the USA. Thank you Sir Creep. @Sir Creep

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 22/01/2022 at 02:46, Sir Creep said:

Sir Creep (will buy you 5 lbs coffee if any of his top 10 die)

8. Mikhail Gorbachev 

So that’s 5lbs of coffee to, I suppose, each of us in the game. 235lbs total. That’s almost half the weight of the average American!

I know you don’t read your notifications (well, why would you? That’d mean revisiting the horrors of some of the shite you come out with) but if on the off-chance you do, I echo @theoldlady’s sentiments re: my due coffee payment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 18/01/2022 at 07:26, TQR said:

9) Queen Elizabeth II 

Well, she may be fine yet, and hopefully she will be, but just in case, may I be the first of many here to say FFS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TQR said:

Well, she may be fine yet, and hopefully she will be, but just in case, may I be the first of many here to say FFS.

Got her in the exact same spot. So it may be a case of all boats sink

• Like 2

I have her at #8 myself. 

43 out of 48 teams have her somewhere on the list. Talk about a landmine 

• Like 3

Yeah, I think the end result will be something totally different, especially if the Angela Lansbury rumours are true.

On 18/01/2022 at 07:26, TQR said:

11) Angela Lansbury

58 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, I think the end result will be something totally different, especially if the Angela Lansbury rumours are true.

Oh piss and shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2022 at 21:27, Sideik said:

7 Queen Elizabeth II

Damn...

Only had her at 21, not that big of a deal

• Like 2

At 7. Damn. 

• Like 1

Ma'amageddon

In 1932, psychologist Harry Harlow conducted a famous experiment on the nature of maternal bonds. Infant rhesus monkeys were presented with two inanimate surrogate mothers – one made of wire, which provided milk, and one made of cloth, which did not. Overwhelmingly, the monkeys bonded with the cloth mother, visiting the wire mother only to feed, thus demonstrating the importance of contact comfort to an infant's development. Harlow then conducted a follow-up experiment with a third mother, this one made of stolen diamonds. This mother would too be inanimate, possessing no identifiable personality traits or intelligence, but would also provide no nourishment and not be physically accessible – the monkeys would simply be shown a picture, and told "this mother is richer and more powerful than you". While monkeys with self-respect and dignity naturally rejected the diamond mother, an unusually deferential contingent of monkeys genuflected before her, instinctively subservient in the face of power, accepting and even craving their own personal immiseration in her name. Harlow, harrowed by his findings, abandoned the experiment and deported this profoundly maladjusted monkey contingent to a rainy and inhospitable island to keep them away from the civilised world. That island later became known as "Britain", and the monkeys evolved into what we now know as "British people".

Queen Elizabeth II, socialite and tabloid star, has died at the age of 96. If there's one vaguely nice-sounding thing that every obit struggling to come up with a tangible positive fact about the Queen has to say, it's that she was "always there" – and that's certainly true when it comes to the Inverse Dead Pool, where she appeared on a majestic 43 out of 48 teams, this year's 6th most popular pick. This means revolution on the leaderboard, with former top 3 @Pedro67, @theoldlady, and @Newjack all finding themselves guillotined for the treason of ranking her too high. They're succeeded by @Philip, who gallops from 13th to 3rd as one of the few players who evidently knew his grieving widow well enough not to pick her at all; @Sean, who "only" incurs a 10-point penalty and returns to 2nd in the line of succession; and @YorkshireBanker, whose measly 4-point gain anoints them to the current Inverse Throne. Hopefully they're the banker in charge of updating all the currency, because they clearly know what they're doing.

They're not the only ones benefitting from only slightly not thinking the Queen would die – just 5 points for @Joey Russ, who arises to 6th, just 3 points for @ThereWillBeDeaths7, who rides a gilded carriage from 26th to 10th, and just 0 points for @Sir Creep and @CastAway, who make like Prince Andrew and jump into the teens. Meanwhile at the bottom of the leaderboard, @Hell has not been burnt by the Queen (though one can't say the reverse is true). This means our new last in line to the throne is @chilean way, who falls down like London Bridge, their 25-point penalty bringing them to an apropos number of doom: 96.

As we're almost all red-faced this week, let's experiment with a new column to signal who the actual risers and fallers are:

GAINED TOTAL
1. YorkshireBanker +4 14
2. Sean +10 18
3. Philip   20
4. = machotrouts +14 21
5. Pedro67 +19 22
6. Joey Russ +5 23
7. BuffaloPhil +10 25
8. theoldlady +20 26
9. Newjack +21 27
10. Sideik +19 28
10. ThereWillBeDeaths7 +3 28