Sign in to follow this  
Bibliogryphon

Not Today Mister Death

Inspired by a conversation I had in the PMs with another poster I was thinking about who those deaths were that were important to me from a cultural perspective. Those people whose work has shaped me into the person I am today. I wanted to keep this separate from the National Treasures posts because that is more about a cultural collective consciousness whereas these will be individual.

I have kept it to 20 as my first list contained almost double the number and I have kept it to the living but there are many people who have gone already who could have gone on the list in particular Terry Pratchett and Terrance Dicks

Please post your own lists I have added mini explanations as to why they are there.

1.       Rowen Atkinson (First comedy gig)

2.       Tom Baker (You know why)

3.       Johnny Ball (Stimulated my interest in science and maths)

4.       Floella Benjamin (Televisual Joy)

5.       Kate Bush (My favourite music artist)

6.       Phil Collins (Genesis was the first concert I attended)

7.       John Craven (Important part of growing up)

8.       Harrison Ford (Brilliant actor whose popular status is deserved)

9.       Stephen Fry (Comedian and actor who is brilliant)

10.   Derek Griffiths (Children’s TV later saw at the RSC)

11.   Bernard Hill (Macbeth on my first Theatre date with my now wife)

12.   Michael Keating (B7 is almost as important to me as DW)

13.   Stephen Lawhead (The living author I have read most book by)

14.   Hazel O’Connor (First single I bought)

15.   B A Robertson (First album I owned)

16.   Michael Rodd (Made me pay attention to TV)

17.   Patricia Routledge (Was in the first RSC production I saw)

18.   J Michael Strazynski (B5 sits with DW & B7)

19.   David Thacker (Theatre director who stunned with several RSC productions)

20.   Julie Walters (Lady Macbeth on my first theatre date)

• Like 9

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

No Claudio Ranieri on there @Bibliogryphon:lol:

Good idea though.

My interest in sport is very passive

Might consider a cricketer but there were none even on my shortlist

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 13:29, Bibliogryphon said:

Inspired by a conversation I had in the PMs with another poster I was thinking about who those deaths were that were important to me from a cultural perspective. Those people whose work has shaped me into the person I am today. I wanted to keep this separate from the National Treasures posts because that is more about a cultural collective consciousness whereas these will be individual.

I have kept it to 20 as my first list contained almost double the number and I have kept it to the living but there are many people who have gone already who could have gone on the list in particular Terry Pratchett and Terrance Dicks

Please post your own lists I have added mini explanations as to why they are there.

1.       Rowen Atkinson (First comedy gig)

2.       Tom Baker (You know why)

3.       Johnny Ball (Stimulated my interest in science and maths)

4.       Floella Benjamin (Televisual Joy)

5.       Kate Bush (My favourite music artist)

6.       Phil Collins (Genesis was the first concert I attended)

7.       John Craven (Important part of growing up)

8.       Harrison Ford (Brilliant actor whose popular status is deserved)

9.       Stephen Fry (Comedian and actor who is brilliant)

10.   Derek Griffiths (Children’s TV later saw at the RSC)

11.   Bernard Hill (Macbeth on my first Theatre date with my now wife)

12.   Michael Keating (B7 is almost as important to me as DW)

13.   Stephen Lawhead (The living author I have read most book by)

14.   Hazel O’Connor (First single I bought)

15.   B A Robertson (First album I owned)

16.   Michael Rodd (Made me pay attention to TV)

17.   Patricia Routledge (Was in the first RSC production I saw)

18.   J Michael Strazynski (B5 sits with DW & B7)

19.   David Thacker (Theatre director who stunned with several RSC productions)

20.   Julie Walters (Lady Macbeth on my first theatre date)

Most of the names I would have included are long dead (some longer than others) so not sure I can come up with 20 straight off the bat, but I can edit as and when.

I'm not saying they've shaped my life or changed it in any significant way, but these are living people that I want to live forever.

1. Bernard Cribbins; the older I got, the more I appreciated this man's output.

2. Dennis Amiss; my favourite player when I started watching cricket; I could have watched him bat all day (not against the Aussies though, for obvious reasons);

3. Katy Manning; if Jon Pertwee was 'my' doctor, she was 'my' companion.

4. Billy Connolly; how could you not?

5. Dame Maggie Smith; as a youngster I saw The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and have loved her ever since.

6. Sir Michael Caine; not the greatest actor, perhaps, but he's had some great roles in some of my favourite films, but the reason I like him is that many years ago, he was doing a Q&A session on a TV arts show (Omnibus?? South Bank Show??) and someone asked why he'd been in so many lousy films; his answer was (and I paraphrase) that he was an actor and that''s his job, he doesn't write them and he suggested the guy write a brilliant script and he'd act in it. See also his response to the Jaws: The Revenge criticism.

7. David Byrne; Got into Talking Heads early/mid-80s, just saw him duetting with Miley; still class.

• Like 2

I’m fairly sure we are the only two people on earth whose favourite cricketer is the decidedly unglamorous Dennis Amiss. I suspect even his own family preferred Alvin Kallicharran or Geoff Humpage. I actually supported Warks because of him, rather than any particular love for the county. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I’m fairly sure we are the only two people on earth whose favourite cricketer is the decidedly unglamorous Dennis Amiss. I suspect even his own family preferred Alvin Kallicharran or Geoff Humpage. I actually supported Warks because of him, rather than any particular love for the county. 

The Warks team I grew up with had some great players - Jameson & Kanhai as well as Amiss & Kalli, Murray rather than Humpage behind the sticks, MJK, Tom Cartwright (OK I'll stop now, its making me sound old).

Incidentally, Humpage was one of the last coppers to leave the old Birmingham City Police (they changed to WM police shortly after) and rejoined after his first-class career ended.

Interesting list Biblio.

Most of my major influences are long dead (W S Gilbert. Sullivan, Mozart, Rossini, Donizetti, Tchaikovsky. Rimsky-Korsakov, Wilde, Thomas Hardy, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Karen Carpenter, Tito Gobbi, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Frankie Howerd. Sid James, Morecambe & Wise) but I like a challenge so have come up with a list of 20 living inspirations, in no particular order

1 Cecilia Bartoli, talented mezzo who excels in a repertoire (bel canto) I love. Used to be gorgeous too, although rather less so now she's in her mid-late 50s. Seen her a few times, managed a few sentences in my best Italian after a concert in Bologna

2 Teresa Berganza, honey voiced Spanish mezzo

3 James Conroy-Ward, who played the G & S low comedy parts (most of which I have played on the amateur stage)  for DCOC in their latter years. Saw him/them live in 1981.

4 Mick Jagger. Genuine icon. Saw the Stones at St Marys 3 years ago.

5 Sally Carr, lead singer of Middle of the Road, first gig I ever went to , first celebrity I ever spoke to. first record I ever bought (Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep), first celebrity crush

6 Sally Geeson (Sid James' daughter in Bless this House and appeared in a couple  of carry on films), 2nd celebrity crush

7 Olivia Newton-John (another mid 70s crush, bought one of her albums once purely for the cover) Makin' a good thing better, as you ask.

8 Nastassja Kinski - another , slightly later, figure of lust. Watch Cat People and enjoy.

9 Andy Scott, I grew up with Sweet, their music matured as I did from the bubble gum stuff of my adolescence to the rock stuff of my older teens. Sadly Scott is the only survivor.

10 Noddy Holder - Slade, one of the best gigs I ever went to. Still got the T shirt.Great frontman.

11 Anniello Iannone - Weymouth FC's star player of the 1970s

12 Mick Channon - my favourite top league player of the 70s. Got his autograph when he opened a local supermarket

13 Martin Yeates - Weymouth Wildcats (speedway)  leading rider of the 1970s

14 Peter Collins - the most exciting top class speedway rider of the 1970s, was World Champion in 1976

15 Ben Elton - mostly remembered as an edgy alternative comedian from 30 years ago but has written some excellent books

16 Milton Jones - very good live, always good value on Mock the Week etc

17 Tim Vine - another comedian very good live

18 Brendan Foster - all the family liked athletics growing up. There was an olympics in the 1970s when he got our only track and field medal.

19 Denise Lewis - talented athlete and very nice when I met her 25 years ago (also gorgeous)

20 Ray Davies - love the Kinks' stuff  up to the mid 70s. Some of his relatively recent solo stuff is great too. Saw them live 40+ year sago.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Interesting list Biblio.

Most of my major influences are long dead (W S Gilbert. Sullivan, Mozart, Rossini, Donizetti, Tchaikovsky. Rimsky-Korsakov, Wilde, Thomas Hardy, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Karen Carpenter, Tito Gobbi, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Frankie Howerd. Sid James, Morecambe & Wise) but I like a challenge so have come up with a list of 20 living inspirations, in no particular order

1 Cecilia Bartoli, talented mezzo who excels in a repertoire (bel canto) I love. Used to be gorgeous too, although rather less so now she's in her mid-late 50s. Seen her a few times, managed a few sentences in my best Italian after a concert in Bologna

2 Teresa Berganza, honey voiced Spanish mezzo

3 James Conroy-Ward, who played the G & S low comedy parts (most of which I have played on the amateur stage)  for DCOC in their latter years. Saw him/them live in 1981.

4 Mick Jagger. Genuine icon. Saw the Stones at St Marys 3 years ago.

5 Sally Carr, lead singer of Middle of the Road, first gig I ever went to , first celebrity I ever spoke to. first record I ever bought (Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep), first celebrity crush

6 Sally Geeson (Sid James' daughter in Bless this House and appeared in a couple  of carry on films), 2nd celebrity crush

7 Olivia Newton-John (another mid 70s crush, bought one of her albums once purely for the cover) Makin' a good thing better, as you ask.

8 Nastassja Kinski - another , slightly later, figure of lust. Watch Cat People and enjoy.

9 Andy Scott, I grew up with Sweet, their music matured as I did from the bubble gum stuff of my adolescence to the rock stuff of my older teens. Sadly Scott is the only survivor.

10 Noddy Holder - Slade, one of the best gigs I ever went to. Still got the T shirt.Great frontman.

11 Anniello Iannone - Weymouth FC's star player of the 1970s

12 Mick Channon - my favourite top league player of the 70s. Got his autograph when he opened a local supermarket

13 Martin Yeates - Weymouth Wildcats (speedway)  leading rider of the 1970s

14 Peter Collins - the most exciting top class speedway rider of the 1970s, was World Champion in 1976

15 Ben Elton - mostly remembered as an edgy alternative comedian from 30 years ago but has written some excellent books

16 Milton Jones - very good live, always good value on Mock the Week etc

17 Tim Vine - another comedian very good live

18 Brendan Foster - all the family liked athletics growing up. There was an olympics in the 1970s when he got our only track and field medal.

19 Denise Lewis - talented athlete and very nice when I met her 25 years ago (also gorgeous)

20 Ray Davies - love the Kinks' stuff  up to the mid 70s. Some of his relatively recent solo stuff is great too. Saw them live 40+ year sago.

Ben Elton was someone I considered.  Really loved his early stand up work, novels and The Thin Blue Line/Blackadder

20 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

1 Cecilia Bartoli

7B09A590-C05B-4E50-BC67-6EC5C2795B46.jpeg.bdae976e7e57b8237480b4a5562fe58b.jpeg

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Cecilia Bartoli, talented mezzo who excels in a repertoire (bel canto) I love. Used to be gorgeous too, although rather less so now she's in her mid-late 50s.

To be fair, the beard doesn't help.

Interesting topic. As with previous posters, a lot of my favourites are long dead and I am a bit superstitious about listing these as many of them are potential future DL picks. Any typos are intentional due to superstition.

1. T0m Lehrer - goes without saying really.

2. David Lynch - I have enjoyed most of his work and find him fascinating.

3. Eva Marie Saint - One of the last living links to one of my favourite films, North by Northwest.

4. Kate Bush - I don't think I really got music until I saw her on one of those Sounds of the 70s shows.

5. Gary Burghoff - Could have been any of the M*A*S*H gang really but he has the link to the film and is indirectly responsible for getting me into pen pal writing.

6. Martin Parr - love his postcard books, fond memories of laughing with my dad over them.

7. Werner Herzog - I don't like all his stuff but The Enigma of Kasper Hauser is one of my favourite films.

8. Grant Naylor - cheating a bit here by selecting a duo, but I prefer their collaborative Red Dwarf to Doug's solo efforts.

9. T!m Curry - I know Rocky Horror was Richard O'Brien 's creation, but it was T!m as Frank that piqued my interest.

10. Patricia Quinn - Another Rocky Horror cast member. I was Magenta in our Shadow Cast. Loved it.

11. Andy Hamilton  - Shelley, Old Harry's Game, Drop the Dead Donkey. All comedy classics for me.

12. Kenneth Cope - Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) is comfort telly for me and he was in every episode, though I prefer Annette Andre generally.

13. Neil Hannon - I just enjoy his music and it reminds me of my friends.

14. Derek Griffiths - A charismatic performer. Always a joy to watch.

15. Allan Ahlberg - Really enjoyed his books as a youngster.

16. Michael Praed - For shallow reasons :)

17. David Yip  - Just really like him as an actor, always found him a reassuring presence in films as a kid.

18. Loren Coleman - I like cryptozoology and fin his books very accessible.

19. Kim Gordon  - Possibly the only person more obsessed with Karen Carpenter than I am.

20. Richard Carpenter  - Okay, maybe there is one more person who is more obsessed. While Karen was always the main focus, credit where it's due, he was good at what he did.

There are a load of nearlies   - Jarvis Cocker, Ken Deighton, Mary Quant, Ray Davies and loads more.

• Like 4

I've added 5. Maggie Smith and 6. Michael Caine to my list; two of my favourites over the years that are still alive (I almost included Gambon as well but he's apparently not very well-known outside a very limited circle).

Most of the actor-types I would like to have included are dead - Paul Scofield, Pete Postlethwaite, Patricia Hayes, Richard Harris would all have made it in the past.

Edited by time
Nine months after the entry, I spot a rogue apostrophe.
  • Like 1

Most of mine have gone and snuffed it already (thank you Michael Bond, Jon Pertwee, John Lambie, Curt Hennig and Peter Green, for example), but having a think.

1. Bernard Cribbins (a man who has brought my life joy since before I could string sentences together as a wean)

2. Tom Baker

3. Sylvester McCoy (self-explanatory, Sir Tom of TARDIS is pretty much an icon. McCoy's my favourite living Doctor, and I met him once. He was great!)

4. Bret Hart (limiting pro-wrestlers to just one name, it had to be Bret, survivor of far too many personal tragedies, seems to be in a good place now but in his 60s and already took on cancer and is a severe stroke survivor)

5. David Butler (a brilliant man who opened my eyes to a whole new interest in psephology)

6. RL Stine (one of my favourites as a kid. Too many of my favourite kids authors are long gone, Stine is still writing in his late 70s.)

7. Michael Palin (one of the nicest celebs around,  and another long time favourite. Also very encouraging to a nervous young writer once.)

8. Angela Lansbury (TV gran)

9. Jean Marsh (as previously mentioned, an old favourite)

10. Michael Caine (seems a popular choice for folks favourite actor and I'm no exception - been fond of him ever since Muppet Christmas Carol)

11. Vernon Dobtcheff (standing in for all those near 90 year old character actors I am ludicrously fond of. Dobtcheff was in Dr Who and Father Ted and James Bond, and fun in all of them so another name I've known since childhood. He did so many "I have a spare few days so can be this 5 minute role for you" TV and film parts that I'm still coming across random Vernon appearances all the time. Plus how can you not like someone who spent so much on trying to encourage other actors and writers? 

12. Mary Danby (edited all those Fontana Book of Ghost type anthologies in the 70s!)

13. Joe Don Baker (he camps it up in the Bond films, he steals every scene in Edge of Darkness, another old fave)

14. Ozzy

• Like 2

Most of mine have long since shuffled off....

People who still excite me include:

1) Angela Lansbury (what a career!)

2). Sherrill Milnes (stirring impressive baritone)

3.  Richard Howard (poet:  "not / Death but a fruit-stand)

4.  Anne Tyler (American novelist)

5.  Leontyne Price (oh, that warm voice)

6.  I believe Diana Ross is still purring!

7.  Imelda Staunton (Just a kid, really)

8. Joan Baez (she sang me through elementary school)

9.  Stewart O'Nan (fine novelist)

10.  Donna Leon (every word she says is addictive)

11.  Wendell Berry (poet)

12.  Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter

I have (mostly) avoided politics, Zelensky is swiftly climbing into the very small, modest list of political leaders

• Like 2

Since I think I'm on the younger side of the forum most of the people that were important to me are alive. Also, since I'm not from the UK nor the US some of my picks are probably more well known in Latin America.

1 "Weird Al" Yankovic (Just find him to be a funny guy and I always loved his parodies, I want to watch the biopic that comes later this year)

2 Tom Lehrer (Brilliant)

3 Michael J. Fox (Just really like the Back to The Future trilogy)

4 Alexis Sánchez (Probably won't die soon, but he gave me such a happy moment when he scored the winning penalty in the 2015 Copa America final)

5 Nice Peter & EpicLloyd (The Epic Rap Battles of History guys) (Made me more interested in history)

6 Tony Bennett (Enjoy his stuff, got to see his final performance on TV this year and I honestly loved it)

7 Herb Alpert (Very talented and made some of the best instrumentals in my opinion)

8 James Rolfe (The angry video game nerd, I think i learned a lot of English watching his videos)

9 El Bananero (Latin American internet legend)

10 Shigeru Miyamoto (Creator of a lot of my favorite video game franchises)

11 Tom Jones (My favorite English speaking singer)

12 Arnold Schwarzenegger (Like his movies and he's probably my biggest inspiration when working out)

13 Sylvester Stallone (The first Rocky movie is one of my favorites and means a lot to me)

14 Every Living Monty Python Member (Couldn't pick one, just very funny guys)

15 Angus Young (Love AC/DC)

16 Huey Lewis (Just a fan of his music)

17 ZUN (Created one of my favorite video game franchises and makes pretty good music)

18 Luis Miguel (My favorite spanish speaking singer, although not a big fan of his newer stuff)

19 Carlos Villagrán (My favorite actor from "El Chavo del 8" that's still alive)

20 Suggs (I like Madness a lot)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

20 Suggs (I like Madness a lot)

We had a work experience student where I used to work who was named Suggs by his parents because they were huge Madness fans

Interesting this, and tricky to do. This isn’t in any particular order, but the No.1 name is probably no.1.

1) Stephen Fry - Not just his comedy; what a mind. His openness about his mental ill-health inspired me to be open about mine. The way he constructs a sentence like no other. His anecdotes. His activism. Absolute hero of mine.

2) Bill Bailey - The way he combines music and comedy, my two favourite things, and does both so masterfully. My favourite comedian alive today, a personal accolade previously held by his late best mate, Sean Lock.

3) Miriam Margolyes - Not everyone likes her and I understand why. But she is so unashamedly her, so gloriously free with the language she uses - a trait that’s a horrendous spectacle when it’s a horrid, hateful person, but she isn’t. She’s great.

4) Susie Dent - Much like Fry, she made being intellectual cool. And she gets better with every passing (word of the) day.

5) James O’Brien - His books were both marvellous - the first being social commentary, the second being more about how opinions can be formed/changed based on life experiences. His LBC monologues are masterpieces too. I envy his unrivalled ability to deconstruct and analyse.

6) Dave Grohl - Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Them Crooked Vultures…but it’s not just about the bands he’s been in. I believe he’s the best drummer in history, he’s a genuine musical genius, and he’s simply a lovely guy, engaging with his fans (see Nandi Bushell drum battle) and using his platform for good (see his disco gatecrash of homophobic Westboro Baptist Church protest).

7) Olly Alexander - Very personal, this one; when I decided to brave it and be myself, it was bold, self-confident people like him who I looked up to. He exudes positive vibes. He’s not just on the list because I fancy him, honest. 

8) Jenson Button - At 8 years old, he got me screaming at the telly in his BAR Honda as he fought for podiums with what was ostensibly a shite F1 car. He secured what’s still the most amazing race win of all time (Canada 2011). He never seemed to let it all get to his head. He played a major, major part in getting me into my favourite sport.

9) Martin Brundle - I won’t lie, this probably would’ve been Murray Walker if he were still alive; he’s the next best thing IMO. His fair race analysis, grid walks and so on still earn him legend status today for me, and that’s before considering his actual racing career. LM24 at 57? Mighty impressive.

10) Dame Maggie Smith - She’s been covered by a couple of others. Too bloody right she has; she’s a national treasure. Of course, I’m of the generation where she’s primarily Professor McGonagall. But that’s enough.

Think I’ll just mention another 10 by name; thinking of people and putting into words why they have had such an influence on my life is something I found unexpectedly quite difficult. Maybe because it’s pretty personal.

Carol Vorderman
Elton John

Richard Ayoade

Suggs

James May

Kathy Burke

Sandi Toksvig

Frank Bruno

*shouts* Brian Blessed

Keith Richards

All 20 of these people have, to varying extends, had an influence on how I’ve turned out, how I think, even how I act in some cases. And yes, though I do bang on about politics a lot, political figures haven’t featured in my list. Much like many discussions that people brand political or lefty or whatever, it’s not a matter of politics to me, it’s a matter of decency.

• Like 2

Slightly offish-topic (no list, sorry), but the deaths that affect me most are often contemporaneous musicians I've either met or who've inspired me, especially if it's from something close to home (suicide, drugs, booze). Alex Chilton, Emitt Rhodes, Jason Molina, Marks Linkous & Lanegan, Vic Chestnutt, Jay Bennett are a few examples.

So I'll offer Paul Westerberg as someone living whose death would make me very sad. On the other hand, if Bono and Sting were bumped off by a  furious music lover, I'd be dancing in the streets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1