Genfærd

Bruce Willis

10 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

According to his family he's deterioting fast, can't talk ofc but can't understand anymore either. They're praying for a christmas miracle. 

Can aphasia kill you ? 

This article is just quoting Radar Online, so probably tabloid fiction.

I can believe he's out of it (Sylvester Stallone commented in an interview last month that he's now "incommunicado"), but I doubt he's wasting away or anything like that. He appeared as recently as yesterday on his childrens' social media, so not like he's at the point where they need to hide him from the world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Depends on when he was diagnosed.Most people apparently live for 12 years however Terry Jones of Monty Python died 4 and a half years after diagnosis.

Most PPA cases we've seen tap out on a 4-5 year time frame. 

They've never said Bruce had PPA tbf. 

Wow, after all the news coming from all sides this year I hadn't even retained that Bruce Willis got dementia.

It's not often that someone is both a true legend of the big screen, and a total badass. Will be very sad to see him go.

• Like 2

I don't really think he should be on the list in the next few years as his dementia is probably mainly effecting his speech centre right now and it's not clear weither or not his memory is affected yet. People say that he was disorientated and didn't knew where he was at a movie set but I question that. He allegedly said to the production team of one of his latest thrash movies: "I know why you're here and I know why you're here but I don't know why I am here" That doesn't sound like he literally forgot where he was but more like he questioned why he as an A-List actor was filming that low budget movie which probably only had 2 scenes he appeared in.

You could see that very well in the case of Terry Jones that Sean has mentioned before. Terry Jones had troubles too articulate himself since about 2007 if you listen to his interviews closely and had a lot of "Ehms" in between his sentences but his memory still seemed sharp until about 2015. Even in his last interview from October 2015 he still recalls the plot of his latest movie even though he has problems finding the right words. He also mentions the names of young actors and actresses that appeared in his newest film and tells about a phone call he had with Robin Williams a few days before he passed away so he doesn't seem to had troubles too store new memories back than. When he received an award in 2016 he doesn't appear to be confused about the whole event like an Alzheimer patient would be in his situation.

In the case of Bruce Willis we have a similar siuation, he can't really deliver his lines in movies anymore because his speech centre is severly damaged by the disease but he still does TikTok dances with his granddaughter which shows us that he's miles away from the final FTD stage Terry Jones was in during his last two years where he probably had swallowing issues and was bedbound. He didn't showed any difficulties communicating in an interview from 2019 when the movies Glas came out so his disease seems to be faster progressing than it did in Terry Jones case who could still appear in talk shows 4 years after showing first symptoms of FTD and talked about complex topics like his opposition of the Iraq War. According to unconfirmed reports by close friends Bruce Willis cannot verbally communicate at all at this point. I give him another 5-8 years because he's in excellent physical condition. I also work with dementia patients in my job as a caretaker and one thing you really notice in the more progressed cases or dementia are the empty eyes that they have. They seem to live in their own world. I don't really see that look in the latest photos and videos of Bruce Willis.

• Like 2

Could still have a few years left (Average is 8-10 years after symptoms start.) but I could see him getting on the list within a year or two and being D40 on the DDP.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Could still have a few years left (Average is 8-10 years after symptoms start.) but I could see him getting on the list within a year or two and being D40 on the DDP.

Average is that, though in terms of the DDP, Terry Jones's near 5 years is about normal.

A relative died of it last year - tbh it's something you don't want them to linger with.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Considering he has been having dementia-like issues for a while now, I don't think he has anywhere near 8-10 years.

• Like 3

He's been appearing in some pretty shitty movies recently.  I assume he's making sure his kids are well looked after financially when he croaks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

He's been appearing in some pretty shitty movies recently.  I assume he's making sure his kids are well looked after financially when he croaks. 

He needed the money, they needed the tax write-off... win-win

34 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Considering he has been having dementia-like issues for a while now, I don't think he has anywhere near 8-10 years.

The way the statement is worded in the past tense on several occasions makes me think he is now at quite an advanced stage..

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

People I know in the film industry have said Bruce had problems that were dementia-like since 2013, and especially 2017 or so. So even if we're charitable and say 2018 or 19, that's still not a hell of a lot of time left. Especially as even the new statement says Bruce's health is deteriorating...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

The way the statement is worded in the past tense on several occasions makes me think he is now at quite an advanced stage..

Through we had social media footage of him only a couple of months ago and he didn’t look like his death is particularly likely this year. 

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Through we had social media footage of him only a couple of months ago and he didn’t look like his death is particularly likely this year. 

There's 1 Christmas-time bit of footage that I know of - and it could have been taken on a particularly good day.

I'm a little concerned that the panel may not have picked someone who's going down hill really fast, if that statement is to be believed. One for the missed I suppose.

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I still don't think it is likely to happen this year even with the latest news as he was still out and about recently looking reasonably well a couple of months back.He is one to watch closely going forward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Comped said:

I'm a little concerned that the panel may not have picked someone who's going down hill really fast, if that statement is to be believed. One for the missed I suppose.

This was him last month - can't judge much from two photos, but if he can still stand, he's definitely doing better than someone like Nigel Starmer-Smith, a fellow frontotemporal dementia sufferer who's been bedbound unable to talk for 3+ years. I'd say the miss talk should wait until he's not picked on the next list...

• Like 2

Reading through comments on Reddit about the news...now people reveal they've known about it for years, 2017, maybe even since 2013.

I assume all the blind items about an A-List actor with dementia were about him, and not about Jack Nicholson, who was frequently mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Reading through comments on Reddit about the news...now people reveal they've known about it for years, 2017, maybe even since 2013.

I assume all the blind items about an A-List actor with dementia were about him, and not about Jack Nicholson, who was frequently mentioned. 

I think Nicholson probably does have dementia as well. But more like Alzheimer’s or another slow form as he retired ten years ago due to memory issues. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Oh it's been in Hollywood for at least a decade, and he was forgetting things for years prior to that. Could be multiple A-listers under that item though...

I have a close family member who has suffered with FTD since around 2016-17. It likely started years before as diagnosing the symptoms can take some time. They aren't doing very good and I'm not sure how long they have left. That's about 8-10 years of lifespan, at least for my personal example.

This dementia can go fast or slow depending on the person. It usually happens in waves, as in the person suddenly gets much worse and then stays steady at that level before going downhill again. One thing I know for sure, you never get better with FTD....you just stop getting any worse for a few months/years. 

Given the gossip surrounding him and the initial misdiagnosis, my personal opinion places him around 3-4 years left. That being said, it really can take a turn with no warning. Bruce Willis should be on everyone's list by 2025.

This one hits close to home. I'm sorry for him and his family as it won't ever be the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

I have a close family member who has suffered with FTD since around 2016-17. It likely started years before as diagnosing the symptoms can take some time. They aren't doing very good and I'm not sure how long they have left. That's about 8-10 years of lifespan, at least for my personal example.

This dementia can go fast or slow depending on the person. It usually happens in waves, as in the person suddenly gets much worse and then stays steady at that level before going downhill again. One thing I know for sure, you never get better with FTD....you just stop getting any worse for a few months/years. 

Given the gossip surrounding him and the initial misdiagnosis, my personal opinion places him around 3-4 years left. That being said, it really can take a turn with no warning. Bruce Willis should be on everyone's list by 2025.

This one hits close to home. I'm sorry for him and his family as it won't ever be the same.

Sorry to hear about your family member.  From what I read, the average FTD lifespan from diagnosis is about 7.5 years.  I know that there have been whispers in the film industry (which was already pointed out) that something was going on with him at least by 2017, and possibly sooner.  But I will note that he seemed fine at his Comedy Central Roast, which aired in 2018, so even if you go by 2018, 7.5 years out puts us at 2025-26.  But perhaps his case won't be an average case and perhaps the onset is happening much quicker with him, who knows.  What I'll be watching for are statements made by the family, and trying to read tea leaves based on exact word choice they may use.  If they still release pictures of him, for example, his death may not be imminent.  But if all that stops and if the words look cryptic, look out.  

Bruce has always been one of my favorite actors.  This sucks.    

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tracy said:

This was him last month - can't judge much from two photos, but if he can still stand, he's definitely doing better than someone like Nigel Starmer-Smith, a fellow frontotemporal dementia sufferer who's been bedbound unable to talk for 3+ years. I'd say the miss talk should wait until he's not picked on the next list...

I think 2026-2027 is when we should really watch out. So far what I've observed with previous celeb FTD/Lewy Body/other non-Alzheimer's dementia cases, 3-4 years after diagnosis seems to be the time when the rapid decline (and death in most cases) takes place. If Bruce doesn't die within that time, he should at least become a DL regular by then.

• Like 1

There are reports that his family have stated his condition has deteriorated.

This could, obviously, be click bait bollocks but I'm not so sure.....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There are reports that his family have stated his condition has deteriorated.

This could, obviously, be click bait bollocks but I'm not so sure.....

Got a link?

• Like 1