Bibliogryphon

Deaths of the Silver Screen III

2 hours ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

It's not that musical. Just like any other cartoon, or cartoon/live action cross.

Cabaret was the musical!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Cabaret was the musical!

Oh ok, yeah, that makes more sense. lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

And we have all four.

Seemed only sensible you'd probably seen your own pick. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

We took a group of Kids to see HP & The Philosopher's Stone. My sister-in-law fell asleep.

Your sister-in-law is not alone with the films of Harry Potter.

I fell asleep like a log with "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone".

I went to the cinema with my future husband.

He was already at his home with two other family members when I woke up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vanity Fair -2004

Dir. Mira Nair

Meg Wynn Owen

John Woodvine

David Sterne

• Like 1

Entries close tomorrow we already have 17 more entries in this game than in round II

• Like 5

On 07/04/2022 at 07:25, MortalCaso said:

My first time as well:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

Jesús Guzmán

John Bartha Clint Eastwood

Rada Rassimov

Risky pick as all of the above could be dead already. + Not going with Eastwood!

I have decided to replace John Bartha with Clint Eastwood due to mystery surrounding whether he lives or not!

Debated going with Antoñito Ruiz, but alas I shall pick my hero Mr. Eastwood. Thank you @Bibliogryphon

• Thanks 1

The Official Entry period is now closed and the masterlist on page 1 is the definitive article.

Late entries are permitted but no duplicate picks are allowed. You may be better off waiting for Round IV.

With a much higher number of players it is possible this will be a shorter game

Leslie Phillips is picked by 4 teams and there are a number of picks who are on two teams but it is a wide field and some interesting choices

Thank you all for playing

• Thanks 16

Thank you for organising.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2022 at 13:24, Bibliogryphon said:

The Official Entry period is now closed and the masterlist on page 1 is the definitive article.

Late entries are permitted but no duplicate picks are allowed. You may be better off waiting for Round IV.

Absolutely not trying to tell you how to run your own pool Biblio, but it would seem to me that there could potentially be a big advantage to anyone entering the pool late.

If were announced tomorrow that an actor/actress who is not currently picked in this pool, had just entered a hospice, then a late-comer could put him/her in a team and get a quick hit in a week or two. In a pool where only three hits are needed, that could give them a huge head-start over the rest of the field. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Absolutely not trying to tell you how to run your own pool Biblio, but it would seem to me that there could potentially be a big advantage to anyone entering the pool late.

If were announced tomorrow that an actor/actress who is not currently picked in this pool, had just entered a hospice, then a late-comer could put him/her in a team and get a quick hit in a week or two. In a pool where only three hits are needed, that could give them a huge head-start over the rest of the field. 

I do see that and there have been no late entries it is really intended for the stragglers rather than the gamers so the late entry period will close on Thursday after that the Masterlist will stand. Also if anyone wants to challenge other players picks on reasonable grounds then please do this by Thursday as well.

Acceptable Challenges

1. No theatrical release

2. Actor not appearing in film

3. Actor already dead

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Acceptable Challenges

1. No theatrical release

2. Actor not appearing in film

3. Actor already dead

How about

4.  Not an actor

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

How about

4.  Not an actor

There are a number of people who appear as themselves in some movies so difficult to police.

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

There are a number of people who appear as themselves in some movies so difficult to police.

Yes, exactly.  I don't think picking such people is in the spirit of the game.

You could specify that they must have appeared in x other roles to qualify as bona fide actors.

39 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

36 minutes ago, Toast said:

You could specify that they must have appeared in x other roles to qualify as bona fide actors.

It's a difficult one - appearing as oneself in a film ought to disqualify them, but I don't know about appearing in X other roles is the right criterion. If Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had only ever appeared in Airplane, and was selected, would he be disqualified because he hasn't appeared in enough other roles? Murdock is undoubtedly an acting role & Kareem is definitely acting! Stan Lee and Alfred Hitchcock were by no stretch of the imagination actors, but both appeared in have numerous acting credits to their name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I actually don't mind these picks. They show creativity and lateral thinking.  Both winners have come from traditional picks so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Both winners have come from traditional picks so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

As it turns out, only by 10 days was it not a problem.

And anyway isn't that a bit like saying not fitting seat belts in cars doesn't seem to be a problem because no car crashed yet?

Not that beyond a certain amount of amusement on my part poking fun at @gcreptile's picks for their lack of equity cards was it ever going to be anyway, at least between me and him, had somebody else won, or perhaps more pertinently 'nearly' won only to lose that way, I can't say.

I'm with Toast on the 'spirit of the game' but it still amuses me to have beaten a creative laterally thought out 'ringer'.

GCR himself has said he would almost have been embarrassed to win. It's all good in the end.....but only by 10 days :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, time said:

It's a difficult one - appearing as oneself in a film ought to disqualify them, but I don't know about appearing in X other roles is the right criterion. If Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had only ever appeared in Airplane, and was selected, would he be disqualified because he hasn't appeared in enough other roles? Murdock is undoubtedly an acting role & Kareem is definitely acting! Stan Lee and Alfred Hitchcock were by no stretch of the imagination actors, but both appeared in have numerous acting credits to their name.

Wasn't Kareem also in a Bruce Lee movie?

9 hours ago, En Passant said:

As it turns out, only by 10 days was it not a problem.

And anyway isn't that a bit like saying not fitting seat belts in cars doesn't seem to be a problem because no car crashed yet?

Not that beyond a certain amount of amusement on my part poking fun at @gcreptile's picks for their lack of equity cards was it ever going to be anyway, at least between me and him, had somebody else won, or perhaps more pertinently 'nearly' won only to lose that way, I can't say.

I'm with Toast on the 'spirit of the game' but it still amuses me to have beaten a creative laterally thought out 'ringer'.

GCR himself has said he would almost have been embarrassed to win. It's all good in the end.....but only by 10 days :)

But Liz Sheridan is an actor.  The issue came from the fact that it was an extremely minor role. She would not have been caught by this rule.

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

But Liz Sheridan is an actor.  The issue came from the fact that it was an extremely minor role. She would not have been caught by this rule.

You've sort of lost me with that Biblio mate.

I mean sure she is (cough, was), but the two prior to her that put gcr on the hill in the first place weren't. Surely it's the team performance that counts not the last individual that finally stumbles over the line?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Wasn't Kareem also in a Bruce Lee movie?

A quick google search tells me that you are correct (mostly). He was in The Game of Death which was unfinished at the time of Bruce Lee's death. Apparently Lee took a break from filming The Game of Death to order to make Enter the Dragon, but as he died shortly after the filming of Enter The Dragon, it was never finished. Fight scenes with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had already been shot before the break from filming. The original cast was to have included George Lazenby and Jackie Chan but their scenes were never shot.

In 1978 the film was "finished" by adding 11 minutes of the original footage to a completely new plot. This footage included both Lee and Abdul-Jabbar. The film also included footage of Lee's body in a casket from his actual funeral, to show his character faking his own death!

Even if you are not a film buff (and I'm not), it makes for interesting reading. 

34 minutes ago, En Passant said:

You've sort of lost me with that Biblio mate.

I mean sure she is (cough, was), but the two prior to her that put gcr on the hill in the first place weren't. Surely it's the team performance that counts not the last individual that finally stumbles over the line?

I was focusing purely on Liz Sheridan as I had forgotten how gcr had got to that stage but it is a conceit of that specific film to have guest cameos as themselves and there are only a handful of films that do that. It is still a game trying to pull three people out of a hat that will go in the game period.

No-one seems to have gone down that route in game 3 the closest is @ajlposh who has gone with The Aristocrats

31 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

No-one seems to have gone down that route in game 3 the closest is @ajlposh who has gone with The Aristocrats

:o

I hadn't spotted that one.  I thought it was a typo for The Aristocats .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1