Bibliogryphon

Deaths of the Silver Screen III

10 hours ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Wasn't Kareem also in a Bruce Lee movie?

I don't know, but he's had other acting roles since Airplane!, so its a moot point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

I don't know, but he's had other acting roles since Airplane!, so its a moot point.

To be clear, I have no objection if the person is genuinely playing a role in the nominated film, as opposed to appearing as themself. 

("Themself" sounds wrong but so does the plural.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

To be clear, I have no objection if the person is genuinely playing a role in the nominated film, as opposed to appearing as themself. 

If it were a contemporary drama and a character appears on a daytime chat show and they get a real life chat show host to play themselves to add authenticity to a scene it seems a legitimate pick likewise if a well known person appears in a comedy to provide a significant joke. Imagine Bill Gates being the customer at an IT helpdesk for example I don't see a problem with it in this context

Also there are occasions where actors play exaggerated versions of themselves (more often on TV then film though) In particular I am thinking of Wil Wheaton in The Big Bang Theory

I also do not see that it gives a player a particular advantage as getting a film combination with three drain circlers on one play bill who are all famous for other reasons is not easy

I will think on it during this round but my inclination is to allow it in future rounds

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Toast said:

This feels really difficult to police as Biblio has said. By this measure, you'd still be allowing the pick of Jim Lovell in Apollo 13, because he has a cameo as a captain of a navy boat and not as himself.

Two other inconsequential examples to throw into the mix (inconsequential as they're very recent films and the people concerned are all fairly young - and I'm picking these examples simply to illustrate the point as they came to mind):

1. In a recent Ryan Reynolds film 'Free Guy' set in the world of video games, the actor Chris Evans (not the ginger DJ) has a brief cameo as himself reacting to a character wielding Captain America's shield - I assume that despite being an actor with several credits to his name, he would not be a legit pick for this film because it is only a cameo as himself? What about Claudia Schiffer's cameo in 'Love Actually' when Liam Neeson's character has been going on about how much he likes Claudia Schiffer and he meets a woman who is the exact spit of her called Carol at the airport?

2. In the 2018 film 'The 15:17 to Paris' about the American tourists who disarmed a knife-wielding terrorist  on a train, all the Americans on the train were played by themselves, despite not being trained actors. An extreme example, perhaps, but would they be suitable picks as they're playing themselves?

In my last round, I picked Gwyneth Jones in the film 'Quartet'. She's an opera singer and has never appeared in another film, but played the role of one of the musical residents at the care home, but she'd be fine by this measure.

It feels a very grey area, and I do see your point, it can be frustrating when you see some left field choices that don't feel in the spirit of the game, but that's part of the fun of dead pooling, thinking outside the box, trying to creatively interpret the rules. When we start complicating things to allow some actors and not others, it becomes very open to interpretation. Biblio's rules are fairly straightforward: the film has to have been cinematically released (even that's under strain now with streaming) and they must have a confirmed appearance in the film - otherwise, it's up to you! Personally, I'd leave it as it is, but just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Anyone who has watched any 1960s pop based movies knows there are a bunch of musicians essentially playing themselves. The 1970s movie Never Too Young To Rock has a bunch of glam rock stars of the time.

These are not cameos, but rather vehicles for the bands/artistes. 

I was going to say what about documentary features? Full of folk being themselves. Maybe documentaries could be excluded entirely as a sop to the nay sayers?

Otherwise, who cares? Only those who want to win I'd say. :P:tomatododge:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I was going to say what about documentary features? Full of folk being themselves. Maybe documentaries could be excluded entirely as a sop to the nay sayers?

Yeah, I considered documentaries too. During this round, I checked out Hitsville: The Making of Motown, but wasn't inspired by the options. But in a documentary film, as you say, it's all real people.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Yeah, I considered documentaries too. During this round, I checked out Hitsville: The Making of Motown, but wasn't inspired by the options. But in a documentary film, as you say, it's all real people.

The number of documentaries that get a cinema release is relatively small so it would have to be something very significant like Supersize Me or An Inconvenient Truth to be eligible in the first place.

• Like 1

Entries are now closed so if you have a good idea save it for 2023

Assuming this game is going to be done sooner than the last one

With many more picks and some frail looking performers this could be done by Christmas but I suspect it will drag into next year. I mean  Alain Delon isn't even dead yet.

I am minded to exclude documentaries from Game IV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 07/04/2022 at 10:59, Bibliogryphon said:

Master List

41.   Rachel, Rachel (The Old Crem)

Joanne Woodward
Estelle Parsons
James Olson

@Bibliogryphon... James Olson is a hit too.

He died on April 17 but his death was announced this week:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/james-r-olson-dead-andromeda-strain-rachel-rachel-1235143789/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@YoungWillz and @The Old Crem are first off the mark in this game. James Olson only just got over the start line but it did not come to light until today. 

Not panicking this will be over too quickly until we get a second hit in a group but Joanne Woodward.....

• Like 3

If Frank Williams has indeed died (and no reason to doubt it), @Handrejka joins myself and two others on a hit.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

If Frank Williams has indeed died (and no reason to doubt it), @Handrejka joins myself and two others on a hit.

Indeed Frank Williams is a hit for @Handrejka for another wonderfully British film One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

Who will be first to 2?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Three of us gets points from Jimmy Caan.

Yes James Caan is a hit for @TQR, @Spade_Cooley and @gcreptile

The versatility of the gentleman is clearly on display as we have a family favourite, WWII Classic and Full on comedy

Still noone on two hits yet

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Larry Storch is a hit here for @ajlposh lots of people off the starting blocks now

Obviously a huge name in the US, but let's not forget the link only me and @drol remember - yes, one of the dwindling cast of Silence of the Hams, the greatest terrible spoof movie of all time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Larry Storch is a hit here for @ajlposh lots of people off the starting blocks now

If only he died in the last game, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bernard Cribbins is a hit here for  @En Passant starring in a film alongside Leslie Phillips who by some miracle has outlived him

• Like 3

On 07/04/2022 at 10:59, Bibliogryphon said:

20.   Star Trek III : The Search for Spock (1984)
William Shatner
Nichelle Nichols
James Sikking

Nichelle Nichols is a hit for @RoverAndOut:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-star-trek-actress-nichelle-27622399

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2