TQR

The Next Tory Leader

Who’ll Be The Next Tory Leader?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Concentration camps for Scottish Nationalists? 

Shame I don’t have a vote…

Awe I bet your an old softie at heart!!

According to the Sun Liz Truss is considering  the following cabinet

Kwarteng - Chancellor

Patel - Tory Chairman

Braverman - Home Secretary 

Sunak - Health

Clarke - Bussines 

Cleverly - Foreign 

Badenoch - Education

Mordaunt - Culture

Jayawardena - Environment

Tugendhat - Security 

Coffey - Cabinet office 

38 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

According to the Sun

…and your post ends there.

44 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Kwarteng - Chancellor

Patel - Tory Chairman

Sunak - Health

Clarke - Bussines 

Cleverly - Foreign 

Badenoch - Education

Mordaunt - Culture

Tugendhat - Security 

Coffey - Cabinet office 

They make Margaret Thatcher's 'vegetables' look positively meaty. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Kwarteng - Chancellor

Patel - Tory Chairman

Sunak - Health

Clarke - Bussines 

Cleverly - Foreign 

Badenoch - Education

Mordaunt - Culture

Tugendhat - Security 

Coffey - Cabinet office 

and Bojo as ethics advisor, right?

• Haha 3

Dim Lizzy here, sounding like she’s trying to avoid being thrown in the Gulag by Rishi.

A3FC2424-5444-4A8A-9E41-E0F62B236F15.thumb.jpeg.4e098d26d1f2667824a940a134ffdbd1.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

Dim Lizzy here, sounding like she’s trying to avoid being thrown in the Gulag by Rishi.

A3FC2424-5444-4A8A-9E41-E0F62B236F15.thumb.jpeg.4e098d26d1f2667824a940a134ffdbd1.jpeg

She’s a fucking idiot like.

Just about to settle down for 3 hours with Sky.

This is now a sham contest, Sunak has no chance. A lot of the voter base truly believe he was traitorous to Boris and that's all that matters to them. So if you are Sunak, the best thing to do now is throw in the towel, get the lame duck out of Downing Street and get in Truss who is not only not ready for the great office of state she aspires to, but also will not be able to deliver "from day one" all her promises about tax cuts, VAT alterations etc because Parliament isn't back for weeks.

All they truly are doing is ensuring Johnson has a few more weeks free PM pay and allowing Truss to take the necessary media classes to try and make her presentable to floaters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

All they truly are doing is ensuring Johnson has a few more weeks free PM pay and allowing Truss to take the necessary media classes to try and make her presentable to floaters.

Johnson's the floater, shurely?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

This is now a sham contest, Sunak has no chance. A lot of the voter base truly believe he was traitorous to Boris and that's all that matters to them. So if you are Sunak, the best thing to do now is throw in the towel, get the lame duck out of Downing Street and get in Truss who is not only not ready for the great office of state she aspires to, but also will not be able to deliver "from day one" all her promises about tax cuts, VAT alterations etc because Parliament isn't back for weeks.

Didn't read the article but did read a headline saying Sunak won't leave the contest despite the fact we all know he is too exotic for the average Tory voter.

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Sunak might actually be doing Liz Truss a favour by staying in the contest. One of the things that Theresa May had to contend with was resentment from the local Conservative associations that they had not had their say. They probably would have picked TM anyway but once Andrea Leadsom pulled out and it became a coronation the accusation could be made

On The World Tonight there was a suggestion of a Snap Election in the 'honeymoon' period but it was only the speculation of one Conservative commentator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

On The World Tonight there was a suggestion of a Snap Election in the 'honeymoon' period but it was only the speculation of one Conservative commentator

This would be excellent news, given that Truss’ honeymoon period will most likely be about as successful as Anni Dewani’s.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TQR said:

This would be excellent news, given that Truss’ honeymoon period will most likely be about as successful as Anni Dewani’s.

I am not so sure

She might pull something big out of the bag to temporarily for the cost of living crisis and the Tory press rally round her and exploit the divisions in Labour of strikes and Europe then if there is the possibility of the recession lasting all through 2023 then she might feel more confident going now than waiting until 2024

Braverman at the Home Office and Badenoch in charge of Education is chilling, even if it's only until the next General Election.  So, of course, it's exactly what will happen.

I don't see how Truss can get a honeymoon period. The Bank of England's projections yesterday were truly horrific. Nothing she's promising so far is going to make the slightest impact on the cost of living crisis for everyday voters, she's going to have to go further faster. Even if she does somehow manage to get a bump in the polls, how is she going to be able to argue that it's the right time for a General Election, especially when she has a 60+ working majority already (I don't know exactly what it is anymore after all the by-elections). I suspect she's also going to assume that the best conditions for an election will be giving the economy as long as possible to recover and the country as long as possible to get to know her. My hopes are she is very much mistaken on both counts.

• Like 1

the country as long as possible to get to know her

This to me sounds like the best argument for a snap election there is.

I think the more we find out about Liz Truss the less people will like her

• Like 1

Outrageous faux indignation from Northern Tory MPs about the "revelation" that Sunak repatriated money from deprived areas to affluent areas.

Hey, bitches, we already knew that - and bitches, you voted for it. :P

On 03/08/2022 at 21:54, The Old Crem said:

Kwarteng - Chancellor

Patel - Tory Chairman

Sunak - Health

Clarke - Bussines 

Cleverly - Foreign 

Badenoch - Education

Mordaunt - Culture

Tugendhat - Security 

Coffey - Cabinet office 

The gossip from LBC presenter  Iain  Dale is that Liz Truss is considering making Theresa Coffey Chancellor. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The gossip from LBC presenter  Iain  Dale is that Liz Truss is considering making Theresa Coffey Chancellor. 

Has she seen the price of Coffey?

The information hasn't percolated through, I guess...:P

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Has she seen the price of Coffey?

The information hasn't percolated through, I guess...:P

Coffey of the Coffers!

• Haha 1

In the meantime - there's some seriously scary stuff going on regarding the cost of living

Has anyone actually seen the current PM or chancellor this week?

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

In the meantime - there's some seriously scary stuff going on regarding the cost of living

Has anyone actually seen the current PM or chancellor this week?

In case you've not actually heard, they're both currently on holiday. No, really.

51 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

In case you've not actually heard, they're both currently on holiday. No, really.

I believe I have pointed out all the crucial times Bawjaws was on holiday at critical times for the country.  This time however he has an excuse, because he’s powerless anyway. Still believe this lot are still not laughing at you? :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I believe I have pointed out all the crucial times Bawjaws was on holiday at critical times for the country.  This time however he has an excuse, because he’s powerless anyway. Still believe this lot are still not laughing at you? :D

One might think in this situation, the lame duck Prime Minister, his backstabbing Chancellor, and the two leadership contenders (the ex-Chancellor and the loyal Foreign Secretary) would be capable of getting around a table and agreeing some emergency measures to come in now that they can all agree on, so we're not having to wait another month for anything to change. But that would require grown ups in the room, and any of them to actually like each other.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

After his comments about redirecting money from areas of deprivation to more affluent areas, Sunak would be as well pulling out.

He’ll never live that down in any election - even two years away.