MortalCaso

What's on the Telly?

St Elsewhere was my first choice then changed my mind, just as well.

Wee point about my pick Marcus Welby, MD it ran from 1969 to 1976, you have it down as 1995 @MortalCaso

Best of luck to all in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Please double check my list for any issues with your submission (spelling or birth date especially).

My entry is Tales of the Gold Monkey. I know this is a small error, but I just know it will bother me if it is not changed. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be interested to see who is crowned the winner sometime in early 2024.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lot of interesting teams indeed. Surprised no one picked Coronation Street or Last of the Summer Wine.

Best of luck to everyone playing.

10 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Please double check my list for any issues with your submission (spelling or birth date especially).

My pick Steve Halliwell is born in 1946. His birth date on IMDB is incorrect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Suggest, to get over a possible loophole, that we ban Match of the Day/Monday Night Football-type picks for the next round, lest anyone decides "any sportsman ever" is a valid option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grimgrass said:

Lot of interesting teams indeed. Surprised no one picked Coronation Street or Last of the Summer Wine.

They are so obvious they were almost definitely going to be repeated, so naturally nobody picked them, all with the same fears. 

Corrie was my backup, however.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

Best of luck to everyone playing.

My pick Steve Halliwell is born in 1946. His birth date on IMDB is incorrect.

Yes Coronation  Street  is a rich source of strong names, John Savident, Eileen Derbyshire, Julie Goodyear,  Geoff Hinsliff, Barbara Knox, Ken Morley etc but alas fear of being cancelled out would  have kept people from choosing it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Suggest, to get over a possible loophole, that we ban Match of the Day/Monday Night Football-type picks for the next round, lest anyone decides "any sportsman ever" is a valid option.

Good point! I will also need to add Talk Shows as that is a major loophole. Imagine someone says The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson for an endless amount of names. Wouldn't really be fair would it? Luckily, no one went that route or the sports shows. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I kind of expected more soap operas, but then Falcon Crest got banned... But yeah, where's Dynasty, Dallas, or my second choice Santa Barbara, The Bold and The Beautiful, Golden Girls, etc, etc..... I also thought The Love Boat would have been too risky to pick...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

20 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Good point! I will also need to add Talk Shows as that is a major loophole. Imagine someone says The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson for an endless amount of names. Wouldn't really be fair would it? Luckily, no one went that route or the sports shows. :rolleyes:

Very good point - Presenters/panelists should still be admissible IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MortalCaso said:

I am going to disagree on this one.

Television has a huge spread of programming, unlike film for example. So you have a range of everything from light entertainment to serious documentaries and hey, even the news.

Imo, folk picking shows with a huge range of guests have a problem in that the chances of their picks, only 3, are less likely to gain hits. I mean, there’s no uniques rule here. Where do you draw the line? Top of the Pops or Soul Train for example.

The rules do restrict some picks safely here. Unlike the Silver Screen which I thought intended fictional casted films, not documentaries, why keep an artificial restriction here?

Guests on Sunday Night At The London Palladium are no different to guests on Parkinson.

Anyhow, too late for the first round but certainly something for the runner to chew over for later rounds. :D

• Like 2

Luckily we, as noted above, have a very long time before the next round starts! Plenty of time to gather feedback

I'm interested in which show accumulates the highest # of misses. Anyone who died after the official game start will be added to the tally.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

I'm interested in which show accumulates the highest # of misses. Anyone who died after the official game start will be added to the tally.

Im hoping mine accumulates the highest misses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I kind of expected more soap operas, but then Falcon Crest got banned... But yeah, where's Dynasty, Dallas, or my second choice Santa Barbara, The Bold and The Beautiful, Golden Girls, etc, etc..... I also thought The Love Boat would have been too risky to pick...

I was considering a soap, not one of those mentioned, but thought it would have been chosen. I was also considering another programme which I am amazed wasn't chosen but I won't say what it is as I may use a theme for next year's DDP.

• Like 3

A little over a month into this game....and no hits yet -_-

That being said, I have updated the List of the Missed! Please let me know if you see anyone missing. I plan to do periodical updates on it.

I foresee some of those lists growing very long

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

A little over a month into this game....and no hits yet -_-

That being said, I have updated the List of the Missed! Please let me know if you see anyone missing. I plan to do periodical updates on it.

I foresee some of those lists growing very long

Bo Brundin (1937-2022), Tales of the Gold Monkey. 

Not sure whether he qualifies or not, but I think he does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Bo Brundin (1937-2022), Tales of the Gold Monkey. 

Not sure whether he qualifies or not, but I think he does. 

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you see it, he does not count as a miss.

In this case, he was only in one episode of the show. Thus, he would not have qualified as a pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As due course, the day after I mention no hits.....WE HAVE A HIT.

May the High Life of Miller Light us on our way.

This is not a drill, we are finally off to the races. I do not have a way with words as some on this site do, but I shall try my best.

(Wiki) Mark Miller died Sept. 9th of natural causes to give @justonecornetto his first hit and our first hit overall! Mr. Miller appeared in just 2 episodes of Marcus Welby, M.D so kudos for sniffing him out. At a young 97 years of age, it was quite a surprise to see him go so soon. In fact, if you can believe it, he was the third oldest selection by 14 days! I'll be quite honest, I've never heard of the fellow or most of his acclaimed titles. That being said, he is now going to go down in history, and never forgotten, as a significant milestone in this pool.

Which I must say, is quite the honor indeed. Hopefully I have hit the mark and will see you all again soon.

• Like 7

I was just wondering what had happened to this pool.  Seems we have still only had one hit!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I was just wondering what had happened to this pool.  Seems we have still only had one hit!

Yes! Seems a bit illogical with how many old/ill-health choices.

I've just recently gone through all the selections....no missed deaths!

I will be updating the List of the Missed before the end of the year.

• Like 3

It only took around five months....we have another hit! 

(Wiki) Ricou Browning died Feb. 27th of natural causes to give @gcreptile our second (and their first) hit of this pool

No fancy paragraph or puns this time, I just don't give a flip.

(The show was flipper....you get it? Flip? Flipper?...Ah nevermind)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1