Sign in to follow this  
natquen

John Farnham

Just heard the news on Aussie radio. A 12-hour operation! That's quite big, isn't it?

Interesting that he only found out about the cancer "quite recently" - that suggests he wasn't feeling particularly ill or anything beforehand, which maybe narrows down what kind of cancer it is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Just heard the news on Aussie radio. A 12-hour operation! That's quite big, isn't it?

Interesting that he only found out about the cancer "quite recently" - that suggests he wasn't feeling particularly ill or anything beforehand, which maybe narrows down what kind of cancer it is. 

12 hours makes it sound like one of the serious ops like the Whipple or the one to slow mesothelioma tbh. Some brain surgeries too. One to watch.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, msc said:

12 hours makes it sound like one of the serious ops like the Whipple or the one to slow mesothelioma tbh. Some brain surgeries too. One to watch.

Head and neck cancers typically have a long operation also.

55 minutes ago, Sean said:

Head and neck cancers typically have a long operation also.

My mother said she heard on the radio Tuesday morning that it was 'throat' (which could mean larynx, pharynx, tonsil or oesophagus) cancer, but I can't find any reference to that online, so wonder if she misheard or they announced inaccurate/unverified information.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't imagine a 'throat' operation would take 12 hours, unless it was something very major.

ABC are reporting it's 'mouth' cancer, without specifying where exactly.  That can be lip, tongue, floor of mouth, cheek, palate, salivary gland, tonsil, or perhaps even jaw.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-24/john-farnham-cancer-surgery-tumour-removed-from-mouth/101365740

Given the 12 hour op, I am guessing that there was a reconstruction (muscle or bone graft from elsewhere) as part of the procedure.

Reports now that John's had part of his jaw removed. Yikes.

1 hour ago, natquen said:

Reports now that John's had part of his jaw removed. Yikes.

Here's an article which goes into more details. https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/john-farnhams-cancer-diagnosis-came-after-wife-jill-forced-him-to-go-to-the-doctor/news-story/115069bbb4148c2e7d1639b16ea1db92

Apparently there were 26 surgeons involved in this operation, which was to remove part of his jaw in order to remove the tumor, and then perform reconstructive surgery on the jaw, the operation itself went successfully according to a family friend. Only time will tell how things go from here though.

• Like 2

I'm getting Roger Ebert vibes here.

1 minute ago, Hartnell 1999 said:

And on the same day the songwriter dies…

https://mol.im/a/11923777

Keith Reid I believe died on 21 March.....reports of his death circulated a few days ago.

Farnham - I'll wait for the usual "discharged" in due course.

Not sure what others read but this trip to hospital seemed pretty reasonable and take.  I never once considered him for my April Cup team for instance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11987769/Barry-Humphries-rushed-hospital-major-health-setback-Dame-Edna.html

Rushed back to hospital due to complications and health has now worsened according to this new article. 

This article also references that John Farnham is still in hospital.

• Like 1

John has been re-admitted for to hospital due to re infections around his cancer surgery