Paul Bearer

Cost of living crisis

With the price of power (gas and electricity) cap being announced this morning at £3,549 in the UK, will you struggle to pay, join the refuse to pay brigade or just get on with it and pay these extortionate bills anyway? 

Is there anyone here who WONT struggle with these sorts of price rises?

If so, I accept bribes. :D

Projection was something like 75% of households to struggle on the estimate (which was below 3000!) so that must include most of us here.

• Like 1

Can I afford it? Yes. Am I petrified? Still yes. Petrified for the millions of households that are set to be pushed over the cliff edge, set to face a dark, cold and/or hungry winter.

A colleague of mine’s mother-in-law is on dialysis at home. They’ll be paying her electricity bill, else she’d not be able to afford to run the thing that’s keeping her going.

And let’s not forget the uncapped bills that are set to cripple schools, hospitals and small businesses.

I very much see a case for a general strike.

(I think) I'm one of the lucky ones as far as power is concerned.  Last year, my provider offered me a 2 year contract if I agreed to stay with them.  Thank fuck I did.  My prices are fixed until October '23.  I pay my final mortgage payment at the same time.  Looks like my mortgage payments will now go to paying the freekin lecky bills next year.   You just can't win.  

Government should be be seriously thinking about reducing VAT on commercial properties from 20% to about 5% and getting rid of the green levy's for maybe a year or two.  Cancelling VAT on domestic bills would be a good start too. 

• Like 1

Yes, I'm on a 2 year contract that has another year to run.  Although I was deceived by

Spoiler

OVO Energy

when sourcing quotes last year, and they have cheated me out of about £350 (long story).  The Energy Ombudsman has upheld my complaint against them and they have to pay me compensation for poor service, but not the money they have overcharged me.  However I am hopeful that the source of the problem is being dealt with and grateful that I have another year of relatively low rates.  Once my contract is up they won't see me for dust though, thieving lying untrustworthy incompetent bastards.

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, I'm on a 2 year contract that has another year to run.  Although I was deceived by

Reveal hidden contents

OVO Energy

when sourcing quotes last year, and they have cheated me out of about £350 (long story).  The Energy Ombudsman has upheld my complaint against them and they have to pay me compensation for poor service, but not the money they have overcharged me.  However I am hopeful that the source of the problem is being dealt with and grateful that I have another year of relatively low rates.  Once my contract is up they won't see me for dust though, thieving lying untrustworthy incompetent bastards.

They were the ones I was going to join on a one year contract until my present supplier called me and offered prices that were a fraction above what they were charging.

You dodged a bullet there then.

• Like 1

Someone’s letter to their water company. I feel this may catch on.

FAC57795-2EC4-4905-920E-0497DC08CF3E.thumb.jpeg.201369267591410da8298c1eae154b4d.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm sure the government will step in with subsidies eventually. Over here in Indonesia they pay 16% of the entire government budget for the year for fuel subsidies. From time to time they try to take away the subsidies, but invariably crowds of 10,000+ march on parliament and the whole place grinds to a halt, so then they back down and keep them. People need to get off their arses and protest!

• Like 1

So I now know what the government means by levelling up. Inflation, fuel poverty rising interest rates. Everyone is f**ked. I have had to buy a microwave and turn off my Aga.

My wife’s cat Susie has objected

• Angry 1

5 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Everyone is f**ked. I have had to buy a microwave and turn off my Aga.

Sounds like this was pulled straight from the Daily Mail comments section.

i don’t read that garbage, I currently read the New York Times  but the truth is that many normal people are affected by the lack of support and leadership from the current Peter Principle Government. Currently considering putting a futon in the kitchen for the winter.

897AD745-3185-43C3-87B3-F72F5E256145.thumb.jpeg.23af08b62bbd2416c6f995ea1cc08fd4.jpeg I 

• Like 3

On 27/08/2022 at 22:44, Charlotte's Controller said:

i don’t read that garbage, I currently read the New York Times  but the truth is that many normal people are affected by the lack of support and leadership from the current Peter Principle Government. Currently considering putting a futon in the kitchen for the winter.

897AD745-3185-43C3-87B3-F72F5E256145.thumb.jpeg.23af08b62bbd2416c6f995ea1cc08fd4.jpeg I 

Cute kitty. Tuxedo Cats are darling.

• Like 3

Well yea me and my family going to struggle and me & my wife are having a 3rd child aswell. Luckily there's a big support network with regards to family. Truth is though my wife and kids aren't skipping meals so energy companies can get more money.

Why doesn't Boris/Liz truss put their ego aside and admit these sanctions have backfired and do some diplomacy with Russia. End the war don't continue it with funding and arms deliveries.

Interesting thread. I was reading  comments on the BBC site earlier and someone was saying that the airports are still rammed with people going on holiday, shops are busy and they don't know anyone personally affected by this. I suspect that the full ramifications haven't kicked in for many people yet and we might not see those airports quite so busy in a couple of months.

I'm sure I can afford to ride the storm too. I live on my own, no mortgage and my bills have always been low - my last direct debit payment (to British Gas) was £63 - for gas and electric. I know that will be £100+ next month, but with a four-figure bank balance it's hardly my biggest worry. But I know people who, even now, are counting down the days 'til payday. For them, I'm not sure that switching lights off will make much difference. Other than increasing my direct debit to the Trussell Trust I'm not sure what I can do ... but I'm sure there will be some hard, sad stories to come in the next few months. 

I wish I was dead an dout of this shithole. It's only going to get worse.

1 hour ago, Cropsy said:

I wish I was dead an dout of this shithole. It's only going to get worse.

Out of this shithole? Yeah. Lots of beautiful countries in this world don’t have it as bad. But dead? Don’t even think it.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Out of this shithole? Yeah. Lots of beautiful countries in this world don’t have it as bad. But dead? Don’t even think it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Lot's of beautiful countries in the world true, but you need a nice amount of money to go to them. We literally waste our life working to keep the most wealthy people in luxury. I'm not even depressed, just awakend to the silliness of the way this world works.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cropsy said:

We literally waste our life working to keep the most wealthy people in luxury. I'm not even depressed, just awakend to the silliness of the way this world works.

This is why we push for change. Because it doesn’t have to be like that.

Never say you wish you were dead again.

Yes, I can afford it, but it is hard to hear from relatives, friends and colleagues, that they are struggling. But the record-breaking inflation mixed in with the surreal climate in Europe, I'm nervous about the future.

As our organisation's gas contract is ending shortly , the company has offered us new rates 

increasing the price per kWh from 3.7p to 25.3p - a 680% increase, in addition to which they want to charge £2.26 standing charge PER DAY, an increase of £2.26 over the current price!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, time said:

our organisation's

This is a block of flats? Communal heating? Some other form of collective? I only ask because I'm curious if this

6 minutes ago, time said:

£2.26 standing charge PER DAY,

Applies individually or collectively, because assuming a 30 day month, that's 67 quid odd before you use any gas at all.

22 minutes ago, En Passant said:

This is a block of flats? Communal heating? Some other form of collective? I only ask because I'm curious if this

Applies individually or collectively, because assuming a 30 day month, that's 67 quid odd before you use any gas at all.

Sports club

49 minutes ago, time said:

Sports club

So commercial then. 

There was no standing charge at all before? Don't really understand that. I don't like standing charges, nobody does, but I understand why they exist.

• Like 1