weatherman90

Sherwood Schwartz?

Sherwood Schwartz, Creator of the Brady Bunch TV Series. He'll be 90 just in time for the 2006 list.

This is a good test for the "are they famous enough" standard. We've all seen Sherwood Schwartz' name, hundreds of times if you're American, probably at least 20 times for everyone else, just by sitting through the closing credits of the Brady Bunch. But if someone asked me 5 minutes ago, "Who's Sherwood Schwartz?" or "Who was the creator of the Brady Bunch?" I couldn't have told you. However, in real life the dad was gay, and Greg shagged the mom. That I know.

I'd vote no for Sherwood for the DL.

This is a good test for the "are they famous enough" standard.  We've all seen Sherwood Schwartz' name, hundreds of times if you're American, probably at least 20 times for everyone else, just by sitting through the closing credits of the Brady Bunch.  But if someone asked me 5 minutes ago, "Who's Sherwood Schwartz?" or "Who was the creator of the Brady Bunch?" I couldn't have told you.  However, in real life the dad was gay, and Greg shagged the mom.  That I know.

I'd vote no for Sherwood for the DL.

No, the factuals being factuals Greg (Barry Williams) did not actually and factually screw his step-mom Carol Brady (Florence Henderson). He wanted to and they have both discussed this to a point of annoyance. The factuals are that she was actually and factually interested in Sam the butcher (Allan Melvin) however he only had eyes for Jan (Eve Plumb) who was busy ogling all the guests especially Davy Jones, Joe Namath and others. There is also the incestuous (sort of) relationship between Greg (Williams) and Marcia (Maureen McCormick). Schwartz has indicated several times that he had to pry them apart.

As for Sherwood Schwartz let's not forget his wonderful work of that other timeless classic Gilligan's Island. And let us never forget It's About Time Who remembers the theme song? It's about time, it's about space, it's about two men...

Will he bite the big one this year? Anything's possible now ain't it?

Maybe I'm a little too old,

maybe I'm a little insular,

Perhaps I don't get out enough, (or perhaps I'm out too much)

I read newspapers,

I watch the news regularly,

politics, religion and current affairs are discussed on social occasions (together with the interesting 'nether region' stuff).

Culture, the arts, music are all in my vocabulary

but...........

Who (or what) are "The Brady Bunch"?

As for Sherwood Schwartz let's not forget his wonderful work of that other timeless classic Gilligan's Island.

Ditto.......

And let us never forget It's About Time Who remembers the theme song? It's about time, it's about space, it's about two men...

The theme song sounds rather rude.

Josco---

Brady Bunch----story of a widower with 3 sons and a woman (widow?) with 3 daughters who get married. Episode 1 they have an outdoor wedding the boys dog chases the girls cat and chaos erupts. The parents yell at the children and then leave for the honeymoon but feel bad and then go home and get them and bring them on the honeymoon along with the maid. Strange family. They were Robert Reed as Mike Brady the father, an architecht. Florence Henderson as Carol Brady, the mother. Ann B. Davis as Alice Nelson the maid (she had been Schultzie in an earlier series) the children, Barry Williams as Greg, Christopher Knight as Peter, Mike Lookinland as Bobby, Maureen McCormick as Marcia Marcia Marcia. Eve Plumb as Jan. Susan Olsen as Cindy. Also appearing was Allan Melvin as Sam the Butcher (a recurring role) he liked to go bowling with Alice and lock employees in the freezer. Used to air Friday night at 8p.m. on ABC network.

Gilligans Island, 7 people head out for a 3 hour tour (a 3 hour tour) from a Hawaiian dock and well the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost (the Minnow would be lost). Well the ship landed on an uncharted 'desert' isle and the characters lived for a couple of seasons before being mercifully cancelled. They were (in no particular order) The skipper, Jonas Quimby (Alan Hale Jr. who had also been Casey Jones in the 50s series of that name), Gilligan, (Bob Denver fresh out of Dobie Gillis series), The Professor (Russell Johnson), The movie star, Ginger Grant (Tina Louise), the millionaire, Thurston Howell; the 3rd (Jim Backus also known as the voice of Mr.McGoo, the nearly blind guy of cartoon fame), the millionaire's wife Lovey (Natalie Schaffer) and Mary Ann a farm girl (Dawn Wells).

There were also a few movies in the 80's and 90s--Rescue from G.I. and Harlem Globetrotters on G.I. Gilligan loved eating coconuts and laying underneath the skippers hammock. The skipper liked women. The professor liked looking puzzled. MaryAnn liked looking frustrated. Ginger liked men. The millionaire LOVED money, his wife loved him.

As to It's about time the original lyrics were "It's about time it's about space, it's about two men in the strangest place." The lyrics offended some so they were re-tooled to "It's about time, it's about space, about strange people in the strangest place. It's about time, it's about flight, traveling faster than the speed of light.

The show was about 2 astronauts who got caught in a time warp of some sort and landed in a prehistoric earth. The show was sinking fast and got a new look where the astronauts came back to present day (around 1966 or 67) and brought the prehistoric Gronkd (Imogene Coca, formerly from Your Show of Shows with Sid Ceaser, note, Coca also went on to play an Aunt on the Brady Bunch, in a 1 show only appearance). It was supposed to be funny but it wasn't. I seem to recall it airing the same season as My Mother The Car (Jerry Van Dyke had a car possessed by the spirit of his late mother) another failure show.

Mercifully all these shows died quickly but are for some reason still rebroadcast constantly on television stations throughout the world.

Josco---

Brady Bunch----story of a widower with 3 sons and a woman (widow?) with 3 daughters who get married.  Episode 1 they have an outdoor wedding the boys dog chases the girls cat  and chaos erupts.  The parents yell at the children and then leave for the honeymoon but feel bad and then go home and get them and bring them on the honeymoon along with the maid.  Strange family.  They were Robert Reed as Mike Brady the father, an architecht.  Florence Henderson as Carol Brady, the mother.  Ann B. Davis as Alice Nelson the maid (she had been Schultzie in an earlier series) the children, Barry Williams as Greg, Christopher Knight as Peter, Mike Lookinland as Bobby, Maureen McCormick as Marcia Marcia Marcia.  Eve Plumb as Jan.  Susan Olsen as Cindy.  Also appearing was Allan Melvin as Sam the Butcher (a recurring role) he liked to go bowling with Alice and lock employees in the freezer.  Used to air Friday night at 8p.m. on ABC network.

Gilligans Island, 7 people head out for a 3 hour tour (a 3 hour tour) from a Hawaiian dock and well the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost (the Minnow would be lost).  Well the ship landed on an uncharted 'desert' isle and the characters lived for a couple of seasons before being mercifully cancelled.  They were (in no particular order) The skipper, Jonas Quimby (Alan Hale Jr. who had also been Casey Jones in the 50s series of that name), Gilligan, (Bob Denver fresh out of Dobie Gillis series), The Professor (Russell Johnson), The movie star, Ginger Grant (Tina Louise), the millionaire, Thurston Howell; the 3rd (Jim Backus also known as the voice of Mr.McGoo, the nearly blind guy of cartoon fame), the millionaire's wife Lovey (Natalie Schaffer) and Mary Ann a farm girl (Dawn Wells).

There were also a few movies in the 80's and 90s--Rescue from G.I. and Harlem Globetrotters on G.I.  Gilligan loved eating coconuts and laying underneath the skippers hammock.  The skipper liked women.  The professor liked looking puzzled. MaryAnn liked looking frustrated.  Ginger liked men.  The millionaire LOVED money, his wife loved him.

As to It's about time the original lyrics were "It's about time it's about space, it's about two men in the strangest place."  The lyrics offended some so they were re-tooled to "It's about time, it's about space,  about strange people in the strangest place.  It's about time, it's about flight, traveling faster than the speed of light.

The show was about 2 astronauts who got caught in a time warp of some sort and landed in a prehistoric earth.  The show was sinking fast and got a new look where the astronauts came back to present day (around 1966 or 67) and brought the prehistoric Gronkd (Imogene Coca, formerly from Your Show of Shows with Sid Ceaser, note, Coca also went on to play an Aunt on the Brady Bunch, in a 1 show only appearance).  It was supposed to be funny but it wasn't.  I seem to recall it airing the same season as My Mother The Car (Jerry Van Dyke had a car possessed by the spirit of his late mother) another failure show.

Mercifully all these shows died quickly but are for some reason still rebroadcast constantly on television stations throughout the world.

I'm sure a transcription of the Brady Bunch theme lyrics would have been shorter! :rolleyes:

Not much more to add really. I think they did get a showing at some point in the UK, but I'm happy to report I haven't come across one for a while. Idealized neo-conservative smaltz.

Who (or what) are "The Brady Bunch"?

Oh dear, I must be old.

The Song Say It All

Heck, they even made two big screen films of the series in the late 90's.

I even know Gilligan's Island - they did get back home, but then were marooned on the same island again by the end of the episode.

Another Song, Another Tale

A Gold Mine

I hope he can hold on until November then he will have made it to 90 which as some may know is almost as good as 100

I hope he can hold on until November then he will have made it to 90 which as some may know is almost as good as 100

Reminds me of a commercial with Yogi Berra. Cash is just as good as money!

Is Yogi still with us Japser?

Gilligans Island, 7 people head out for a 3 hour tour (a 3 hour tour) from a Hawaiian dock and well the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost (the Minnow would be lost). Well the ship landed on an uncharted 'desert' isle and the characters lived for a couple of seasons before being mercifully cancelled. They were (in no particular order) The skipper, Jonas Quimby (Alan Hale Jr. who had also been Casey Jones in the 50s series of that name), Willy Gilligan, (Bob Denver fresh out of Dobie Gillis series), The Professor Dr. Roy Hinkley (Russell Johnson), The movie star, Ginger Grant (Tina Louise), the millionaire, Thurston J. Howell the 3rd (Jim Backus also known as the voice of Mr.McGoo, the nearly blind guy of cartoon fame), the millionaire's wife Eunice "Lovey" Wentworth Howell (Natalie Schaffer) and Mary Ann Summers a farm girl (Dawn Wells).

Just anal-retentively (is that a word?) getting the names straight.

...humming off into the sunset...

Yogi Berra is still with us, turned 81 on May 12th

And I have not a regret, that this man will live for many more years.

Good to know...thank you.

Thank you very much.

On Posting Strike
Come to England then, you'll be ideal working for the Post Office with that sort of attitude! :rolleyes:

On Posting Strike
Come to England then, you'll be ideal working for the Post Office with that sort of attitude! :banghead:

A stock broker would never think so low?

Guest idiot

he died last month!

On 28/01/2005 at 07:39, BrunoBrimley said:

Gilligans Island, 7 people head out for a 3 hour tour (a 3 hour tour) from a Hawaiian dock and well the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost (the Minnow would be lost). Well the ship landed on an uncharted 'desert' isle and the characters lived for a couple of seasons before being mercifully cancelled. They were (in no particular order) The skipper, Jonas Quimby (Alan Hale Jr. who had also been Casey Jones in the 50s series of that name), Gilligan, (Bob Denver fresh out of Dobie Gillis series), The Professor (Russell Johnson), The movie star, Ginger Grant (Tina Louise), the millionaire, Thurston Howell; the 3rd (Jim Backus also known as the voice of Mr.McGoo, the nearly blind guy of cartoon fame), the millionaire's wife Lovey (Natalie Schaffer) and Mary Ann a farm girl (Dawn Wells).

Wells has a gofundme set up to help pay for her medical bills.

EDIT: Probably should have a dead tag on this thread while we’re at it...

On 28/01/2005 at 07:39, BrunoBrimley said:

Mary Ann a farm girl (Dawn Wells).

Dawn Wells look to be dead of covid

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Dawn Wells look to be dead of covid

The Grim Reaper finally gives his answer to "Ginger or Mary Ann?"