Hartnell 1999

Each year's most significant Deathlist miss

With the Deathlist rules only allowing 50 candidates per year, it is inevitable that each year will contain some sort of miss - or in other words the death of a celebrity who was not on that year's deathlist. The thing is though, that could be just about anyone bar 50 people, therefore criteria has to be defined as to what makes someone's death a Deathlist miss. The definition of "significant" in this context is rather subjective, but generally I would say that for a DL miss to be significant, it must meet either of the following criteria:

1: The candidate has made several consecutive appearances on previous Deathlists

2: The candidate is a very high-profile celebrity who is aged 90+ or has a known serious health condition

Working it out based on both of the above would take months, therefore I have compiled a rough list of who I believe was each year's most significant miss, based on the most DL appearances for the earlier years while moving towards the most high-profile of these for latter years

1987 - N/A

1988 - N/A

1989 - Bette Davis

1990 - Malcolm Muggeridge

1991 - John Arlott

1992 - Alexander Dubeck

1993 - Kenneth Connor

1994 - Doris Speed

1995 - Harold Wilson

1996 - Jon Pertwee

1997 - Stefan Grappelli

1998 - Fred Davis

1999 - Robert Dougall

2000 - Alec Guinness

2001 - Geoffrey Dickens

2002 - Princess Margaret

2003 - Paul Getty

2004 - Brian Clough

2005 - Prince Rainier

2006 - Saddam Hussein

2007 - Boris Yeltsin

2008 - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

2009 - Corazon Aquino

2010 - Tony Curtis

2011 - Osama bin Laden

2012 - Patrick Moore

2013 - Bob Godfrey

2014 - Ariel Sharon

2015 - Terry Pratchett

2016 - Harper Lee

2017 - Chuck Berry

2018 - Aretha Franklin

2019 - Peter Tork

2020 - Sean Connery

2021 - Desmond Tutu

2022 - Pope Benedict XVI

• Like 5

Surely 2022 belongs to QE2

• Like 1

Just now, Steve said:

Surely 2022 belongs to QE2

How QE2 can be a miss while being on the list ? Interesting !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

How QE2 can be a miss while being on the list ? Interesting !

My fault, I didn't read the full title of the thread and didn't read the miss - my bad!! Apologies

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Steve said:

My fault, I didn't read the full title of the thread and didn't read the miss - my bad!! Apologies

Ahah no problem ! But agree, she’s obviously the biggest death this year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hartnell 1999 said:

2010 - Claude Levi-Strauss

He died 2009, and was a hit then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

2008: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi? 

2009: Corazon Aquino. 

2010: Tony Curtis. 

2011: Osama bin Laden. 

Have added these to the opening post to fill the gaps… for now.

• Like 2

I’d say Randolph Scott for 1987. Also, I think Ernest Borgnine was the biggest 2012 miss by far.

• Like 1

One piece of trivia relating to this topic I should mention is that Patrick Moore is the candidate who made the most DL appearances out of the pool of misses. Similarly, I would say that Alec Guinness and Desmond Tutu are significant enough solely for the fact that they made numerous consecutive DL appearances before eventually becoming misses.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hartnell 1999 said:

One piece of trivia relating to this topic I should mention is that Patrick Moore is the candidate who made the most DL appearances out of the pool of misses.

Guinness predated the forum, but there was a LOT of swearing, especially in the old chatroom, when Patrick Moore was a miss. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

I’d say Randolph Scott for 1987. Also, I think Ernest Borgnine was the biggest 2012 miss by far.

I'd have said either Rita Haworth or Liberace. 

I was going to say Dennis Potter for 1994 but it seems he didn't reveal his illness until February that year. He died in June that year, just 9 days after his wife.

• Like 1

For me the biggest miss of 1989 definitely Hirohito who was reported to be gravely ill with duodenal cancer and suffering internal bleeding in October 1988.

• Like 3

Coretta Scott King who was MLKs wife and was a noted civil rights activist in her own right was the biggest miss in 2006. There was consistent coverage of her increasingly frail health in 2005. 

• Like 1

I’m trying to think of who might have been potential misses in 1988, if we had the actual list to compare it to. There were a lot of notable deaths that year that couldn’t have been easily anticipated, either because of deadly accidents or falls (Charles Hawtrey, Roy Kinnear), acute health incidents (Andy Gibb, Kenneth Williams), or cold war politics (Kim Philby). The biggest names I can come up with who weren’t on 1987’s list and might have warranted serious consideration going into ‘88 due to age and/or infirmity are Richard Feynman, Barbara Wootton, Alan Paton, and Enzo Ferrari, but other than Feynman who had known health problems going all the way back to the late 1970s, I don’t know how much news was out there about the other three before they passed.

Of course, without the real list to know who was actually on it or not, that’s all just an exercise in speculation anyway.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 18:39, Hartnell 1999 said:

With the Deathlist rules only allowing 50 candidates per year, it is inevitable that each year will contain some sort of miss - or in other words the death of a celebrity who was not on that year's deathlist. The thing is though, that could be just about anyone bar 50 people, therefore criteria has to be defined as to what makes someone's death a Deathlist miss. The definition of "significant" in this context is rather subjective, but generally I would say that for a DL miss to be significant, it must meet either of the following criteria:

1: The candidate has made several consecutive appearances on previous Deathlists

2: The candidate is a very high-profile celebrity who is aged 90+ or has a known serious health condition

Working it out based on both of the above would take months, therefore I have compiled a rough list of who I believe was each year's most significant miss, based on the most DL appearances for the earlier years while moving towards the most high-profile of these for latter years

1987 - N/A

1988 - N/A

1989 - Bette Davis

1990 - Malcolm Muggeridge

1991 - John Arlott

1992 - Alexander Dubeck

1993 - Kenneth Connor

1994 - Doris Speed

1995 - Harold Wilson

1996 - Jon Pertwee

1997 - Stefan Grappelli

1998 - Fred Davis

1999 - Robert Dougall

2000 - Alec Guinness

2001 - Geoffrey Dickens

2002 - Princess Margaret

2003 - Paul Getty

2004 - Brian Clough

2005 - Prince Rainier

2006 - Saddam Hussein

2007 - Boris Yeltsin

2008 - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

2009 - Corazon Aquino

2010 - Tony Curtis

2011 - Osama bin Laden

2012 - Patrick Moore

2013 - Bob Godfrey

2014 - Ariel Sharon

2015 - Terry Pratchett

2016 - Harper Lee

2017 - Chuck Berry

2018 - Aretha Franklin

2019 - Peter Tork

2020 - Sean Connery

2021 - Desmond Tutu

2022 - Barbara Walters

Barbara Walters now trumps Bernard Cribbins as the most significant miss of 2022.

Not sure Jon Pertwee can be considered that big a miss as he was still doing TV appearances and conventions right up to his death. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hartnell 1999 said:

Barbara Walters now trumps Bernard Cribbins as the most significant miss of 2022.

I think you are going to have to re-post….again!!!

Pope Benny surely trumps Barbara

• Like 2

Why is one DL miss more significant than any other DL miss? I don't get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1