Sign in to follow this  
Lafaucheuse

The Popes' Pool

Who will be the last Pope standing ?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was meant to happen at some point so here is the Benedict vs. Francis poll : between Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI) and Jorge Mario Bergoglio (current Pope Francis), who will be the last one standing ? 

Even if I can see Benedict going first due to his age and frailness, can Francis recent health scares surprise us all and kill him before his predecessor ? Let your voice be heard. 

Having two popes alive at the same time is a historical situation : it only happened during the Avignon Papacy even though the legitimacy and title of Avignon's popes is still questioned.

The only pope who stepped down before Benedict was Pope Gregory XII in 1315 but even back then, they waited for him to die in 1317 to elect a new pope. There was never two popes living at once. 

Could this brief summary (and Francis' frailness) be consistent enough to prove to the committee the need to have them both on the list for next year ? We'll see. 

• Like 4

I think Benedict will go first, at his age he could die basically any time and it wouldn't be a surprise. Francis will probably die within a few years but I feel like Benedict could die tomorrow.

Even though I'm not 100% convinced Francis will die next year I think he'd be a great choice for the main list, since he's very frail and he'd be a huge miss.

• Like 1

Benedict His health history is very long: stroke in 1991, fall in 1992, pacemaker implantation in the 1990s, mild stroke in 2005, bypass operation in 2006, rumored close to death in 2017, severe facial infection in 2020, high bp, arthritis and rumored to suffer from parkinson's disease. Already as a cardinal he tried to resign from the positions he held three times due to health problems. He's 95.

Francis has had some lung problems since his 20s, intestinal surgery a year ago and now has a lot of trouble walking. While I think a lung infection could kill or severely weaken him I don't think it's necessarily his year next year but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the list next year

• Like 2

I'll buck the horse and go the other way. Francis will be a shock death, and huge miss, in December.

• Like 2

Francis is definitely weaker than he used to be, but lately he's back to walking without assistance and has a planned trip to Bahrain in a few days. If he resigns in 2023, I can see him living a few more years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

The only pope who stepped down before Benedict was Pope Gregory XII in 1315 but even back then, they waited for him to die in 1317 to elect a new pope. There was never two popes living at once. 

What about Celestine V?

He resigned in December 1294 and lived until May 1296, so he was alive for one and a half year. At the same time his successor Boniface VIII was pope.

• Like 1

Ratzinger to go first. If he goes this year will be the biggest DL miss since Sir Patrick Moore .

• Like 2

Hopefully Benedict. 

• Like 1

Benedict will die before Francis and Francis will never reach Benedict's old age.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WEP said:

What about Celestine V?

He resigned in December 1294 and lived until May 1296, so he was alive for one and a half year. At the same time his successor Boniface VIII was pope.

Oh yes that was the one I was searching for, I knew that there already was two popes living at once but I couldn't remember when or who, my mistake thanks a lot, I'll correct my previous post ! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

I'll buck the horse and go the other way. Francis will be a shock death, and huge miss, in December.

As shocking as it would be, I don't think Francis would be a miss for the committee or anyone else : his health scare only came to light after the 1st of January and is still quite active despite all the rumors. I don't feel he should have been added to the list in 2022 but I wish he will be in 2023, only for the opportunity to have 2 popes on the same list ! 

Agree with all of you though, I feel like Benedict will go before Francis, even though a sudden turn for the worst is not unthinkable at this point 

• Like 1

I'm still amused by the fact that this is probably just the second verifiable time in history that two popes have been alive at once, and they are called Frankie and Benny. 

I voted Francis, by the way. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Oh yes that was the one I was searching for, I knew that there already was two popes living at once but I couldn't remember when or who, my mistake thanks a lot, I'll correct my previous post ! 

Benedikt XVI was praying at Celestine's tomb before he stepped down. Now after Francis was there as well, speculations on his resignation came up. So, maybe we will get a third name for this poll?

• Like 1

Well… expected but still… congrats to the 38 people who voted for Pope Francis !

• Like 1