maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2023

Oh aye, and...

Someone's had a good New Year's Eve

Drol - 1095

An Fear Beag - 730

Banana - 730...etc.

• Like 1

I think you have Linda Ronstadt assigned incorrectly. She's on my team which is ck, not ch. Also, Georgia Holt should be a DNS as she died earlier this month.

I've got Tony Bennett but I'm missed off your list.

Natalie Fornasier might be marked as my joker on the masterlist.

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Less popular than  you might imagine - masterlist is up, from which comes...

Khandaker Mahbub – ba, dr, gr

He was a little more popular than that. I had him as well, but with his full name

Khandaker Mahbub Hossain - af

Damn, I've just realised that I put in the wrong Thai princess:facepalm:

Did a quick last minute google search of "thai princess heart" to find her name, and first name that came up was Princess Sirindhorn who has a minor heart irregularity rather than Princess Bajrakitiyabha who is apparently dying after a heart attack. In the rush to get a team in, I didn't cop that it was the wrong princess:banghead:

Reet - all changes in posts above made (I've got the original teams saved so I can always check my mistakes). It does make the point that there are so many picks it's easy to miss a death - like Holt. I'm assuming Gooseberry Crumble is supportive of the last minute rule change that means Pointer is worth 365 points.Bibliogryphon's ability to pick people incapable of starting means the new random subs rule discussed a few posts back now gifts him 101 year old Iris Apfel and the big development is that An Fear Beag correction puts him joint top. Game - fucking - on!

An Fear Beag - 1095

Drol - 1095

iris-apfel-albert-maysles-fanfair.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Damn, I've just realised that I put in the wrong Thai princess:facepalm:

Did a quick last minute google search of "thai princess heart" to find her name, and first name that came up was Princess Sirindhorn who has a minor heart irregularity rather than Princess Bajrakitiyabha who is apparently dying after a heart attack. In the rush to get a team in, I didn't cop that it was the wrong princess:banghead:

Aye, but you're still over halfway to a winning total :D Spare a thought for those not on the board yet.

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, but you're still over halfway to a winning total :D Spare a thought for those not on the board yet.

F*** the lot of them - I'm in this to win:tantrum:

I'm just looking through my inbox and saw I had put in Kaikala Satyanarayana. But they died before game started and so I should have Putin as my sub?

Edit - I also did a double check and found you didn't add Patricia Routledge for me.

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

N. C. Debbarma is a hit for me and four others here. 

He is now this high profile q/o has surfaced: https://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsDisplay?newsID=1035359

On it re the other corrections requested above

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

I'm just looking through my inbox and saw I had put in Kaikala Satyanarayana. But they died before game started and so I should have Putin as my sub?

Edit - I also did a double check and found you didn't add Patricia Routledge for me.

Routledge has your initials next to her, so - now - does Putin. 

Incidentally, Satyanarayana's death also brings the Aga Khan into play for Argton

• Like 1

SamParkinLeytonOrient2008_2477941.jpg?20

So, we're bringing in highly experienced football pundit Sam Parkin (known to those watching EFL highlights every week) for a quick round up. His usual level of depth and insight says

"Well, An Fear Beag has a decent lead at the moment but the others over 1000 points will be looking to score, and everyone else will be hoping to get more points, so it's still all to play for"

An Fear Beag - 1459

Drol - 1095

SummerinTransilvania - 1094

Captain Chorizo - 1093

On 01/11/2022 at 13:18, maryportfuncity said:

Frank McGarvey – ba, bk, et, f6, ms, rg, tc

Frank McGarvey is a hit here, too:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63270990

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

Frank McGarvey is a hit here, too:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63270990

Had clocked that, just looking for confirmation of date - today by the looks of it. 

If this dead pool lasts over a week I'll be amazed.

Updated for McGarvey and Sam Parkin has decided to add more penetrating analysis

An Fear Beag - 1459

Drol - 1095

Banana - 1094

Book - 1094

msc - 1094

The Old Crem - 1094

SummerinTransilvania - 1094

Captain Chorizo - 1093

RadGuy - 1093

SamParkinLeytonOrient2008_2477941.jpg?20

"Well, An Fear Beag has a decent lead at the moment but the others over 1000 points will be looking to score, and everyone else will be hoping to get more points, so it's still all to play fo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, here's a ruling based on intensive research etc...significant because it could have put An Fear Beag within touching distance. 

1dba22f0-7fa6-11ed-beb6-cb032492e6d1

Mark Stokes - selected by An Fear Beag, RadGuy and msc Tweeted on 18 that he was not only leaving Twitter but also "the whole show" (i.e."I'm about to die") - scientifically significant to the point qo's at the extremely permissive level Deathrace counts them are a shoo-in. Emerging now that he died 19 Dec. The complex Deathrace issue here is whether it's a Raymond Hewlitt Memorial Award (i.e. 365 points on the basis he was widely believed alive when the Deathrace kicked off). Tough one, frankly, but at the moment I'm minded NOT to award the points thinking first off, the severity of his cancer was known, secondly he was sharing enough for people to know that, and thirdly signing off on 18 Dec meant his survival for a fortnight was unlikely from that point and finally that the lack of swift confirmation is as much about Christmas as anything else. I'll also cop for the fact I was so busy I didn't look into that in enough detail until today. I'm fielding subs for teams who picked him and marking him down as a DNS. Feel free to unleash strong opinions both ways so's this hot topic can get a good kicking about whilst the points on offer aren't clinching of the title. Link to death discussion https://www.spieltimes.com/news/what-was-scientist-mark-stokes-final-tweet-cause-of-death/#.Y7IX1XbP1D8

Subs fielded

An Fear Beag - Nigel Starmer-Smith

RadGuy - Frank Field

msc - Billy Dib

FWIW, assuming Mark Stokes did die on 19th December (and that's by no means certain, judging by the DDP 2023 thread), then I agree 100% with the decision not to award points, but not necessarily for the reasons you give.

When, I was putting together my DDP team on 31st December, I read that article, assumed he was dead, and didn't include him on my DDP team). If I had the time to recheck his name on 30th December when I was putting together my Deathrace team, I would have seen the same article, and probably not included him. Given that only 3 players chose him, I would guess that others did not pick him for that reason. So I can't see any reason why he would qualify for the Raymond Hewlitt Memorial Award if he died on December 19th- the evidence that he was dead was there.

Yea gonna be real honest here, I saw that article about him a few days ago and assumed he was already dead idk how RHME can apply

Thanks for the responses - I'm feeling for other dead pool managers here, Stokes may well appear on teams across most of the main pools, and they have enough to deal with weeding out Pope Benedict. Onwards and upwards, or summat.

Modest Mouse drummer Jeremiah Green didn't make it into 2023 (a fact now confirmed by Wikipedia after some early announcements failed to specify a date) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Green

Hell moves into third place

An Fear Beag - 1459

Drol - 1095

Hell - 1095

800px-Jeremiah_Green_at_Frost_Revival_(7

Back later on, just in case anyone dies, or owt, like...

giant-tumbleweed-on-the-highway-with-san

• Haha 1

Elena Huelva would be a hit for Banana and me, once an english obit appears.

• Like 1