maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2023

This is a reminder to myself that I need to keep track of more sick or gone awol famous people who are not over 80.

• Like 2

So, tradition does dictate a period of due diligence just in case major deaths have eluded us and will prove to pre-date the winning score, that said Banana's leap over the line will take an unprecedented collection of corpses at this stage of the game to stop a worthy win, or summat. 

As we close the first week the scoreboard looks like this: 

Banana - 2174

An Fear Beag - 1818

RadGuy - 1811

Drol - 1454

Hell - 1454

Book - 1453

msc - 1453

SummerinTransilvania - 1453

The Old Crem - 1453

Captain Chorizo - 1452

gcreptile - 1451

Nantionian2013 - 1448

Deadsox - 1092

Death Impends - 1089

MariNisia - 1089

Maryportfuncity - 1089

TheOldLady - 1089

TQR - 1089

Ethushispushingupdaisies - 1088

JoeyRuss - 1088

DeathBecomesThem - 1083

ThereWillBeDeaths7 - 1083

John Key - 730

Liz Lemon - 730

YorksshireBanker - 730

BabyBlue - 724

Diego - 724

Toast - 724

Dying Probably - 365

Gooseberry Crumble - 365

LadyFiona - 365

Pedro67 - 365

WEP - 365

Famous6Eva - 364

CalebH - 359

GuyFromFuture - 359

JoeMoneypenny - 359

• Like 6

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Congratulations @Banana

I myself did a lot better than I expected I would. 

Aye, 22 teams into four figures - decent dead pooling all round, I'm sure the crowds loved it - just negotiating TV rights for 2024!

• Like 1

Congratulations Banana.  You are a truly great deadpooler!

• Like 1

Congtratulations @Bananaon yet another fantastic victory. Too good for me, yet again :bow:

(If this carries on, I may have to consider changing my complete avoidance of all social media, as Twitter etc seems to be a useful deadpooling tool. It's either that or learn Spanish! Or both)

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 08:32, An Fear Beag said:

Congtratulations @Bananaon yet another fantastic victory. Too good for me, yet again :bow:

(If this carries on, I may have to consider changing my complete avoidance of all social media, as Twitter etc seems to be a useful deadpooling tool. It's either that or learn Spanish! Or both)

Aye, well...

Speaking of valued dead pooling tools, after lengthy negotiation with Banana the traditional charitable donation in honour of the winner has been made to Wikipedia, a worthy charity and an institution of great use to dead poolers in general and Deathrace entrants in particular. 

You've sent a payment of £10.00 GBP to Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 

• Like 5

So before the thread sinks out of sight and clears the decks for the year-long pools MC Elvira would like to announce a couple of observations regarding the intentions assuming there's another Deathrace in 2024

e801204461a6f033c7e0cdb474c2bbc1.png

1 - To be totally honest the point of kicking off on New Year's Eve was to avoid having to recalibrate if one of the conspicuous totterers carked before the start. Looking at the shit shovelling faced by everyone else hauling in subs on an industrial scale to replace the ex-Pope I've no regrets but a side-effect, I think, was to give this veritable knee-trembler of a dead pool a little more usp, I'm minded to make New Year's Eve count and therefore offer up every calendar day as a points fest, making 2024 slightly more of a bonanza, because it's a leap year. 

2 - The fondness for utterly low-profile life support cases meant a few picks died off radar, bringing in rapid subs and leaving a team or two down on numbers. My instant solution of getting no answers from team managers or being faced with having to field subs once the game is live was to award a "random" sub, based on the sub fielded by the previous team to need one (assuming said sub wasn't already on the team receiving them). I'm thinking the very randomness of the act makes it fair, so might add it to the rules meaning such subs will come into play if I don't hear back from a team manager within 24 hours before play starts, or if a team need a sub once the game is live. 

Feel free to disagree constructively and if there's no disagreement or not much of anything, consider the rules changed. 

Be seeing yers!

19 hours ago, gcreptile said:

My pick Chas Wetherbee, a music teacher with a Wikipedia page in german, but not english, has died:

https://www.thestrad.com/news/violinist-charles-wetherbee-dies-aged-57/15958.article

Inconsiderate sod, too late for Deathrace, too early for DLCup - and capable of snagging the level of obit both pools would allow. 

Obviously doesn’t make the fuckingest bit of difference now but Randon was a hit for eight of us and would’ve put Book within a whisker and DI and I on a pretty healthy score.

10 hours ago, TQR said:

Obviously doesn’t make the fuckingest bit of difference now but Randon was a hit for eight of us and would’ve put Book within a whisker and DI and I on a pretty healthy score.

Aye, a popular pick indeed - for the record she was fielded by eight teams and the qo was always a shoo-in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64314673

Lucile Randon – bk, di, ds, f6, n5, p6, to, tq

800px-LRandon.webp.png

• Like 1

On 13/11/2022 at 05:17, BabyBlue said:

Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike Kawānanakoa

Alexandre do Nascimento

Burt Bacharach

Don King

Emilio Fede

Franca Pilla

Francoise Gilot

Gianlucca Vialli

Giorgio Forattini 

Johnny Ruffo

Jose Mujica

Leonard Pietraszak

Michael Tilson Thomas 

Pope Benedict

Rolf Harris(joker)

Ruth Buzzi

Sandra Weir

Sheik Salem Al Ali Al-Sabah Of Kuwait

Vicky Phelan

Violeta Chamorro

subs

Yoko Ono,June Spencer,Alice Munro,Bobby Vinton,Amanda Bynes

Leonard Pietraszak dead aged 86. Obit (In Polish). 

Thanks for hauling this back - last chance for anyone with an opinion to comment on the post not far above this about proposed rule changes, and seeing the thread in view has reminded me I haven't done anything about re-writing the rules.

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@maryportfuncity  Sorry edit didn't realise this pool had concluded! Sorry!

Aye, just  a bit - nice budgie smugglers in your mug shot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/11/2022 at 21:02, CaptainChorizo said:

Deathrace Form Guide #5

image.thumb.png.9240b617b803f3ae6b5842940db5e661.png

Wei Wei

You might be pissed at yourself if you miss out a potential hit from the Centenarian Chinese Actress

Actually one of the better suggestions in this list! Just died 2 days ago.

On 02/11/2022 at 13:51, Spade_Cooley said:

Deathrace Form Guide #15

De9H0g3UYAAKhlX.jpg

Billy Two Rivers

An 87-year-old professional wrestler, which in normal people terms is the equivalent of being roughly 150. A major draw in both Canada and the UK during the 60s and 70s, never forget he is - and this isn't Wikipedia vandalism no matter how much it looks like it - the father of 1990s British fashion designer and TV talking head show regular Wayne Hemmingway. 

Looks like that was the best suggestion in this thread! Dead in February 

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Actually one of the better suggestions in this list! Just died 2 days ago.

Yeah, but we had a winner in this competition inside a week

Doubtless there'll be some lingering talent barely hanging on in the final days of 2023 to help us along with the scoring. Leap year next year so potentially 732 points for a New Year's Eve joker stiff.  

So, ahem, because @Spade_Cooley cannot receive any PMs right now, I assume it is okay if I open up a thread for the DeathList Cup 2024?

Are there any ideas for improving the competition or other comments?

I will open up the thread in a few hours. First, people will have to "sign up", so we can determine the first round match-ups.

And that's the first good rule/advice for a new Cup runner to remember, is to always keep your inbox empty (of course you can open up a thread).

• Like 1