msc

The 2023 Crowdsourced Deathlist

Where the fuck has 2022 gone to?  Apparently it's the 1st November already, so time to set in motion another Crowdsourced Deathlist. The 2022 version looks set to finish ahead of the official Deathlist (though they lacked the help of Gary Burgess). 2022 has seen a massive clear out of many long term Crowdsourced favourites, from Mr Tibbs to the Queen (and never mind Olivia Newton-John, some of you liked Her Maj too), so let's see how a new crop of fresh names does.

Will the 2023 edition be able to top our current list? We will see, but for the time being let's go over the rules, shall we?

THE RULES

Rules

1. Please send a list of celebrities you wish to vote for to msc, during the time period of 1st November to the 31st December 2022. The list must have a minimum of 12 names on it, and a maximum of 50. Yes, this means we are open now, as I'll just forget to officially open it otherwise. For more evidence, note I actually opened this on the same day as the Deathrace thread after aiming to for half a decade and forgetting, so that's my ration of time keeping used for another decade...

Please send them by either PM or via Shadow List thread, not by email, semaphore, Morse code, Deathlist live chat, animated corpses, text messages, or any other means of communication you can think of. And you may only submit via 1 of those two methods above, NOT BOTH METHODS! 

2. Your 1st choice will gain 50 points, 2nd 49, etc etc to 50th which will gain 1 point. This is true even if you only send in 12 names, or 13 names, or 49 names. 

3. When the deadline passes, all of the points that an individual celebrity gain will be added together, and the top fifty celebrities with the most points overall will go on the Utterly Unofficial Forum List.

4. Feel free to add substitutes at the bottom of the list, which will only be counted if one of your fifty die before January 1st 2023. If for example your number one pick is such a smart one they die before January 1st, then I will give 50 points to your 2nd pick, and so on until 1 point is given to the first substitute.

4b) Anyone who wishes to avoid a Betty White Meltdown and just says "oh put my subs in at the number of the person who died" gets 5 post likes from diego. 

5. Do try to make the picks as "Deathlisty" as possible. More Jean Claude, less Miguel Van Damme, if you know what I mean. Someone likely to score an obit with one of the major English language news outlets.

6. The deadline for sending in entries is 31st December 2022 at 9 pm GMT. That's 4pm New York Time (31st December) and 8am (1st Jan) Melbourne time to help out non-Brits. This earlier deadline is so there's enough time to complete the list before the new year as well as enjoying some extra time off as well. I am keeping Joey's earlier cut off time for simplicity.

7. This is essentially a forum game without a winner. It does however put the longheld notion by some that the combined minds of the forum know better than the Committee to the test.

8. Who picked whom will remain anonymous. Unless the person announces it of course.

9. The paranoid probably shouldn't send in their DDP unique hopefuls. Whilst I do not intend to steal them away, it would make no sense: if the person then showed up on the list, their chances of being unique would be very slim indeed! 

9b. If you do wish to send your DDP unique hopefuls, I won't complain!

10. To keep to the Deathlist spirit, only the top 25 ranked celebrities from the current list of Crowdsourced Deathlist 2022 survivors will be used: Pele, Jimmy Carter, Frank Field, Leslie Phillips, Pope Benedict XVI, George Alagiah, Bob Barker, Glynis Johns, Henry Kissinger, James Whale, Linda Nolan, Harry Belafonte, Joanne Woodward, Shannen Doherty, Tony Bennett, Milos Zeman, Rosalynn Carter, Yoko Ono, James Watson, Barbara Walters, Norman Tebbit, Francoise Hardy, Bobby Charlton, Dick van Dyke, Norman Lear, Jiang Zemin, Douglas Hurd, Jake the Snake, Jacques Delors, Jean Marsh and David Graham.

As usual, this is something for me to worry about, not you. 

10a) Our actual collated list will stick to the "25 from the previous year" rule.

10b) As a result, if our top fifty, after all votes have been counted, has more than twenty-five of the 2022 survivors (named for ease in Rule 10), then the lowest ranked excess survivors will be axed from the list in favour of The Fifty-First ranked celebrity and so on...

10c) Since we don't know if that'll be an issue until I actually do the counting, voters don't need to worry about limiting their personal lists to 25 survivors. It'd be nice if they did, but that's life.

11) Please pick living people. Folk do die before 1st January, but there were a few cases of people dead for a number of years chosen last time. Please do not pick animals, or ISIS prisoners, or kids, or any of the usual no go areas.

12) The Deathray Rule. If Deathers is reading this, he is more than welcome to find some way to get his usual 50 points for that bloody weatherman in! 

Anyhow, enjoy. Or not.

20190417T0827-26048-CNS-POPE-BENEDICT-FRANCIS.jpg

Pope's never die, only the actors who play them...

(It's a Simpsons gag.)

• Like 13

Official list

1.       Jimmy Carter 1807 (8th, 2nd)

2.       :rip:Rolf Harris 1600 (NEW)

3.       :rip:Bob Barker 1410 (5th, 8th)

4.       :rip:Henry Kissinger 1285 (4th, 13th)

5.       :rip:George Alagiah 1246 (5th, 7th)

6.       Joanne Woodward 1124 (6th, 20th)

7.       Glynis Johns 1084 (7th, 9th)

8.       Roberta Flack 1037 (NEW)

9.       James Whale 963 (3rd, 14th)

10.   Frank Field 988 (2nd, 3rd)

11.   :rip: Gianluca Vialli 957 (NEW)

12.   :rip:Harry Belafonte 916 (3rd, 17th)

13.   :rip:Rosalynn Carter 915 (5th, 27th)

14.   :rip:Tony Bennett 890 (2nd, 22nd)

15.   Jonnie Irwin 874 (NEW)

16.   Linda Nolan 799 (4th, 15th)

17.   Eva Marie Saint 769 (3rd, -)

18.   June Spencer 736 (2nd, -)

19.   Dick van Dyke 681 (2nd, 39th)

20.   Ruth Buzzi 641 (NEW)

21.   Nigel Starmer Smith 623 (NEW)

22.   Andy Taylor 614 (NEW)

23.   Mel Brooks 573 (NEW)

24.  :rip: Constantine II 567 (NEW)

25.   :rip:Milan Kundera 566 (NEW)

26.   :rip:Ted Kaczyinski 560 (NEW)

27.   Yoko Ono 552 (4th, 28th)

28.   :rip:Sandra Day O’Connor 544 (NEW)

29.   :rip:Bobby Charlton 536 (2nd, 36th)

30.   Jean marie le pen 535 (NEW)

31.   Rob Burrow 534 (NEW)

32.   Shannen Doherty 528 (3rd, 21st)

33.   :rip:Giorgio Napolitano 526 (NEW)

34.   Norman Tebbit 516 (2nd, 32nd)

35.   Jacques Delors 511 (2nd, 46th)

36.   David Attenborough 499 (NEW)

37.   Noam Chomsky 488 (2nd, -)

38.  :rip: Ryuichi Sakamoto 486 (NEW)

39.   Marianne Faithfull 477 (NEW)

40.   Sonny Rollins 457 (NEW)

41.   Stanley Baxter 448 (NEW)

42.   Randy Jackson 448 (NEW)

43.   :rip:Norman Lear 443 (2nd, 40th)

44.   James Earl Jones 409 (NEW)

45.   :rip: Topol 408 (NEW)

46.   Francoise Hardy 407 (2nd, 33rd)

47.   James Watson 397 (2nd, 29th)

48.   Vera Miles 395 (NEW)

49.   Duke of Kent 392 (NEW)

50.   David Graham 391 (2nd, 47th)

democratic-candidate-jimmy-carter-is-in-a-serious-mood-as-news-photo-1664467180.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.670xh;0,0.0850xh&resize=640:*

"I'm an everpresent!"

casanova_73_henry.jpg

"I was scheduled to be on this list but I forgot to take me immortality tablets! Ding gone!"

• Like 8

Crowdsource Form Guide 1:

Tomasz Schafernaker

Tomasz Schafernaker popularity & fame | YouGov

Going to appear on a schafernakerillion lists next year, I can tell.

For a more serious choice...

Crowdsource Form Guide 2:

Rolf Harris

image.jpeg.052aeccc7ad334abec70bdd7cd066fbe.jpeg

Singer/actor turned-pedophile that is being kept alive via feeding tube due to neck cancer. Will very likely be within the top five spots of the list if he makes it to January.

• Like 5

Crowdsource Form Guide 3:

Sonny Rollins

image.thumb.png.03614542106e4ec28cb2fd36bb1eafae.png

One of the last living Jazz Legends of the 20th Century turns 93 next year. Has been suffering from pulmonary fibrosis for a decade now,also was a heroin addict for some years when he was younger. Overdue for a spot on CS

• Like 5

Crowdsource Form Guide 4:

Vladimir Putin

Someone in Finland has built a gay bar on Putin's holiday island and it's  glorious | indy100 | indy100

Russian leader currently allegedly suffering from pancreatic cancer, Parkinson's, lead poisoning and open window syndrome. A lovely addition to our list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

What happens if Rolf Harris makes the list but then we find out after a while he died in 2022 and it was reported for a bit. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

What happens if Rolf Harris makes the list but then we find out after a while he died in 2022 and it was reported for a bit. 

This will not happen.

But should any of the fifty fail to make the starting line, they'll be replaced by the next in line.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, msc said:

This will not happen.

But should any of the fifty fail to make the starting line, they'll be replaced by the next in line.

Thanks. 

Just think had Betty White died a few hours later that would have happened this year.

• Like 2

I have sent my team but included a whopping five subs just in case there is carnage in December

• Like 2

I submitted a lot of people over 90 because I made an excel spreadsheet last year to help me with another pool. I got a bit enthusiastic. So someone better die.

4 teams in already in the very early going - and around 150 celebs in those teams.

Well, I think some of them are celebs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Team in. I used my provisional 2023 shadow list, but moved three picks I'd especially like to see on the list into the Top 3.

On 01/11/2022 at 15:19, msc said:

8th November to the 31st December 2022. The list must have a minimum of 12 names on it, and a maximum of 50. Yes, this means we are open now,

I don't understand, does this mean that we can send you our lists ?

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I don't understand, does this mean that we can send you our lists ?

I changed the sodding dates 7 times, there's always one!

Yes. Open for business. On the basis I forget to officially announce it's open and people tend to just send in lists from the second the thread opens!

Will be starring work on my list shortly!

But may I take this chance to recommend a few names to others...

The Duchess of  Kent, 90 early next year and the only senior royal absent from the Queens funeral in September. 

image.png.f7bea3a70ebeb8d929dd1d4e6f3d8eca.png

89 year old Yoko Ono 

image.png.c74d444f04d737e08b5dc29434144a83.png

Reclusive 93 year old american actress Vera Miles, a star of the golden age of Hollywood and one of Hitchcocks blondes. 

image.thumb.png.2188e80835c131f2e9597b0dd559b1af.png

Coronation Street legend  80 year old actress Julie Goodyear who had to be assisted onto a celebrity game show several years seeming a bit short of breath. 

image.png

• Thanks 1

I submitted my list. I refreshed the page on accident twice so I had to keep rewriting it lol.

8 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Reclusive 93 year old american actress Vera Miles, a star of the golden age of Hollywood and one of Hitchcocks blondes. 

image.thumb.png.2188e80835c131f2e9597b0dd559b1af.png

Vera Miles is a great "new" recommendation, I really like.

@Gooseberry Crumble, thank you very much. :P;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With 11 teams in already the most popular newcomers to date are:

1. Popular TV star

2. Royal figure

3. Former TV name

4. Popular director

5. Drol favourite

6. WTF still alive pick

7. Another Drol favourite

:D

This will all change long before Hogmanay, of course.

• Like 4

Copies from Lady Fiona in the Deathrace thread

image.png.23b78b84a2a09052bcb4ac444ebcf9d6.png

June Spencer - 103

Longest (and oldest) member of The Archers BBC Radio 4 show. She retired this year after playing the character from 1950 to 1954, and again from 1961 to 2022.

• Like 2