Josco

The Kings Of Tonga

The King's nephew and his wife have been killed in a car crash in California. They can check out any time they like, but they can never leave

That is a sad story. Hopefully the King will hold on until Jan 1st, 2007 so that he can be considered for next year's list. I don't see him making his 89th birthday.

I don't think the death of his nephew will have any result on the Knig's health.

His nephew was one of those democracy freaks and as far as I'm aware T4 only gives in to democracy when he has to.

Can't wait for the conspiracy stories...

I don't think the death of his nephew will have any result on the Knig's health.

His nephew was one of those democracy freaks and as far as I'm aware T4 only gives in to democracy when he has to.

He has been ailing for a long time and was too sick to attend his 88th birthday celebration, according to this article.

He has been ailing for a long time and was too sick to attend his 88th birthday celebration, according to this article.

Yes, I know about that. I was just saying that the death of his nephew is not likely to be the final nail in the coffin for him.

And another thing, I've read this more than once:

Now the last monarchy in the Pacific, Tonga has been a Polynesian kingdom and was a protectorate of Britain until it acquired independence in 1970.

Tonga is not the last monarchy in the Pacific.

There's Japan, Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand (unless the last three are in the Indian Ocean).

And another thing, I've read this more than once:
Now the last monarchy in the Pacific, Tonga has been a Polynesian kingdom and was a protectorate of Britain until it acquired independence in 1970.

Tonga is not the last monarchy in the Pacific.

There's Japan, Papua New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand (unless the last three are in the Indian Ocean).

The word "last" implies that the Pacific Nations once had many Monarchs. This is far from the case and royalty as we know it would have been an alien concept in much of ancient Micronesia and Melanesia, where tribal chiefs ruled over very small villages, usually at war with their near neighbours. For example, Nauru always had 12 tribal leaders for a population of little over a thousand.

It is only in parts of Polynesia where the more traditional idea of monarchy took hold. Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga for instance all had recognised leaders of the whole nation. This was not the case in other Polynesian nations such as The Marquesas Islands and Easter Island, who both had their own unique ideas of leadership.

Here endeth the lesson. :lol:

Many thousands of Tongans are returning from overseas for the funeral of Prince Tu'ipelehake and Princess Kaimana. It would save on air fares if King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV was to choose to expire whilst they were all still in the country.

The burial of Prince Tu'ipelehake, 55, who was killed on July 5 along with his wife, Princess Kaimana Aleamotu'a Tuku'aho, 46, will take place on July 21st.

The burial of the royal couple will take place in Tonga on July 21. The country will then enter a 100-day mourning period, during which the whole kingdom will wear black.

100 days in black? Oh well, they do say that black is slimming. :D

The burial of Prince Tu'ipelehake, 55, who was killed on July 5 along with his wife, Princess Kaimana Aleamotu'a Tuku'aho, 46, will take place on July 21st.

It will be interesting to see whether or not King T4 attends the funeral on the 21st.

Go ahead - someont put in a joke that if T4 does go to the funeral, it'll be to scout out a nice plot for himself. (oh, I guess I just tossed the joke out there)

100 days in black? Oh well, they do say that black is slimming. :D

The Tongan's are probably hoping the King goes now so that his 100 days of mourning coinsides with that of his nephew. I would imagine that black would be unbearable in that climate.

Strangely enough, I work with somebody from NZ who is friends with the King of Tonga's doctor - apparently he's got severe diabetes and could keel over at any minute, due to the nature of an absolute monarchy the actual seriousness of his illnesses don't get reported on.........

Strangely enough, I work with somebody from NZ who is friends with the King of Tonga's doctor - apparently he's got severe diabetes and could keel over at any minute, due to the nature of an absolute monarchy the actual seriousness of his illnesses don't get reported on.........

Excellent.

I love all this insider information. Just a pity your friends name isn't Shipman...

On the advice of his doctor, the King will not attend the double funeral of his nephew and his nephew's wife on Friday. Link.

Given the popularity of that Prince and the nature of his tragic death, I'd imagine the King is now living his last days.

(I know that last bit sounded iainish but at least I have good reason, backed up with information from the King's doctor (through Cowboy Ronnie) to back my statement up (therefore TF cannot accuse me of hypocrisy as he has tried to do on previous occassions)).

Amusing recollections of a doctor who treated the King's mother, Queen Salote can be found here

Cowboy Ronnie knows the King's doctor as well? It's a small world.........

We are all only 4 people removed from knowing everyone on the planet. (I think that was the correct figure.)

We are all only 4 people removed from knowing everyone on the planet. (I think that was the correct figure.)

Does that include Kevin Bacon?

...6 degrees of separation. Four's good enough for most people though.

Is that so? I think I will write Cowboy Ronnie a few lines that he will act out. He would begin the conversation with Taufa'ahau Tupou IV's docter by saying ... O my dear friend how is he lately?

The King did not attend the burial of his nephew today. Radio Tonga reports that this is believed to be due to the king’s poor health condition and doctors’ advice.

Guest u dn't need 2 knw me
King of Tonga

This fat old bugger was born in 1918. At 87 therefore, and considerably over weight, must soon be a goner.

Any thoughts?

FAT OLD BUGGER AYY!

I'd tke that bck if i wer u! cos u dn't knw wat his dun 4 his country you ass!

FAT OLD BUGGER AYY!

If nothing else, King Taufa'toldbugger IV has evidently invested significantly in the Tongan education system.

King of Tonga

This fat old bugger was born in 1918. At 87 therefore, and considerably over weight, must soon be a goner.

Any thoughts?

FAT OLD BUGGER AYY!

I believe you can still do work for your country and be a fat old bugger, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Winston Churchill springs to mind, for one.

Also, were you under the impression this was a text message forum? :(

ps If we did know what he's done for his country, would that make him thin again? He'd still be a thin old bugger though.

That would probably be the ultimate insult in Tonga... 'Sir, I may have buggered your wife AND your mother-in-law before embezzling half the state treasury, but you are still a thin bugger!'