msc

How's Your 2023 Shortlist Looking?

Yes, I know, you were all waiting for someone else to open the annual thread. :lol:

Been down the Mitchell Library to hunt for clues? Got a good tip from your brother who works on Pointless Celebrities? Bumped into David Essex who swore you to secrecy about his terminal cancer? Or are you waiting for Spade's top December tips about rappers and Soprano guest stars? 

I just add names to a word doc all year, and come back to look at it in November, which I did last week. Far too long, so I cut the list down, and checked the forum for some names I'd missed, and ended up with a list which was five names longer than when I'd started.

• Like 4

Very nice.

I've got too many genuinely good names. It means more people will still die this year.

• Like 1

Jimmy Carter and Johnny Gilbert are coming back. I'll decide on the rest by Christmas. Have been sitting on a nice "WTF still alive" oldie for the past few months though.

Long list of around 80 at the moment, but this year's intake feels very... lot of gristle and not much meat. Either the illnesses aren't guaranteed 12-month killers or we're getting into the awkward area of Yahoo loopholes for QOs, which I never want to rely on. Don't think the 2023 champion will have 150+ points (but then I say that every year).

The main list is of about 40 at the moment. I'm not sure if one of them will gain a QO, and a couple of others may have died off radar. I've a theme team of what will mostly be unique picks to put in too.

My list is done and dusted but I have just had to update it because Ned Rorem was on it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My main 55-name list has been ready since late July, because I couldn't be patient enough to wait for November, when I made my first 2022 draft. So far, I have had to make eight substitutions, although six of these were on its 2022 incarnation (Cribbins, The Queen, Marsha Hunt, Lynn, Lansbury, Phillips). 

To be entirely honest, I don't have much faith in my list, I never do, but I will stick by this, watch as everyone else's does better, and be glad that some of the wonderful people on it are still with us. 

Edit: A teaser of my five top-ranked newcomers:

1. No prizes for guessing, a Dutch politician who I have suggested for multiple pools. Reveal: Bas de Gaay Fortman.

2. A current DeathListee, one of the less famous names. To me, at least. Reveal: Milan Kundera. 

3. Someone I guarantee will be on the Italian DeathList in 2023. Lando Buzzanca DEAD 18.12.2022

3 again. A musician clearly in failing health. Reveal: Roberta Flack. 

4. One of the less famous names, but a long-time cancer sufferer. Reveal: Andrés García. 

5. A politician who will probably be on the main list next year, but few expected them to make it this far, and they may not see the starting line. Reveal: Pervez Musharraf.

• Like 1

Haven`t done a shortlist only mentally who is getting dropped added or brought back on my DDP teams. There are some new names on  all my DDP teams that will be added definitely if they are still breathing on 31st December. Some names have been mentally penciled in for the can and others I`m keen to bring back.Haven`t done well this year so lots to choose from.I normally only think about it seriously in Decemeber. 

First name to go off my longlasting was Leslie Phillips.I was going to put him back on my main DDP again for the first time since 2016 purely for staying power ( thar and I figured he would make the Drop 40).

This will be my first year playing the game and currently have a shortlist of 42 for my main list and 26 for my theme team so come middle of December I should have trimmed both ready for submission.

• Like 2

Quite well. My main list will be the Death By Numbers 2023 but I plan to participate in most of the Death Pools for 2023. I will give a teaser for 5 names that you can expect to see in my Death By Numbers list and possibly quite a few of the other ones.

1. Well known UK TV celebrity recently diagnosed with terminal cancer.

2. Ex-FIFA World Cup German footballer, suffering from severe dementia for many years now.

3. South American politician and Legendary DeathList immortal.

4. American actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood who I am very surprised is still alive.

5. Somewhat well known UK author who is the spouse of a celebrity journalist.

• Like 1

Currently tightening up my shortlist and trying to recover from this year's embarrassing performance.  As a non-brit, my difficulty is still in figuring out who will and who won't get a QO.  DDP, DbN, and alt are my primary focus and I'll probably skip a lot of the other games next year.  The death of DSCDP continues to grind on me, though, as I'd still be killing it there.

Pointless to do it. If nobody steps up to do GUN's job, the DDP is dead.

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Pointless to do it. If nobody steps up to do GUN's job, the DDP is dead.

We're currently in talks with a potential successor and should have an announcement in due time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Death Impends said:

We're currently in talks with a potential successor and should have an announcement in due time.

In that case, in due time I'll see about a shortlist. :lol:

35 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

In that case, in due time I'll see about a shortlist. :lol:

You better! I'm all ready to go "Oh feck, Hits of 36 years ago is now AFTER the year of my birth!"

(By "you better" read it would be nice to see.)

2 minutes ago, msc said:

You better! I'm all ready to go "Oh feck, Hits of 36 years ago is now AFTER the year of my birth!"

(By "you better" read it would be nice to see.)

Given my team is still noted as 1985 hits in the Theme Team and the main game, frozen in time, I'm thinking about changing the name. But it means changing the name every year. :sherlock:

But hey, I've just realised my arrogance in this thread, for which I apologise. I may not see January, depending on how harsh this winter is. I've spent most of today in bed where it's warm, and I'm mainly living off porridge and sandwiches. :P

(The cold doesn't kill people, Tory policies do!) :lol:

Too many repeats from last year, I'll have to cut it down and make sure it's under half of them. 

• Like 1

I've been keeping a list on my Echo Dot thing, i.e "Alexa, add Rolf Harris to my shortlist".  I think it's worked quite well.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I've been keeping a list on my Echo Dot thing, i.e "Alexa, add Rolf Harris to my shortlist".  I think it's worked quite well.

You can expect Bezos to have a go in '23 then, making use of that precious insider info.

You won't know for certain of course because he's bound to use a pseudonym. 

I am currently doing a lot of mental juggling trying to figure ou if I can and  if so how I can match or exceed  my current unique pick DDP total of 44 unique picks out of the 60 names for my three Crumble Teams. Its a big task and I don't want to say too much/give too much away incase I compromise this mission!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Long list of around 80 at the moment, but this year's intake feels very... lot of gristle and not much meat. Either the illnesses aren't guaranteed 12-month killers or we're getting into the awkward area of Yahoo loopholes for QOs, which I never want to rely on. Don't think the 2023 champion will have 150+ points (but then I say that every year).

I'm going heavy on Yahoo loopholes

• Like 1

I greatly admire the dedication of players who keep longlists during the year and start working on shortlists in November. I usually start drawing up a shortlist the day before I submit the team. It normally gets up to about 30 names that I have scavenged from a quick hunt through my previous year's team, the previous year's top-10 teams, and a quick perusal of this site. Then I spend about an hour trimming down the team, and a year regretting my decisions! It will probably never be a winning strategy, but it's done ok so far. But major kudos to those of you who work hard at this - you have my utmost respect!. 

For all you players who are worried about people on your shortlist not getting a QO, can I say that the Hare's Pool 2023 will be opening for business in about 10 days time, and that would be an excellent place to offload your dodgy, slightly obscure, not-sure-of-a-QO picks. We have extremely low standards over there - pretty much anything is acceptable as a QO. There is virtually no possibility that your selection won't score (unless you pick Diane Berberian:lol:, @Salmon Mousse). So, if you haven't played the Hare's before, maybe give it a go this year. If you are worried about me nicking a potential pick for the DDP, just PM your team late on New Year's Eve - unlike the previous host, I won't bite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've trimmed the list a little, dropping those who most likely won't QO, and a few others whose health has improved since the beginning of the year. 

I've still got three picks who I suspect have all left positions this year due to ill health, but at the moment I don't have any definite proof, and they may have all stood down for other reasons. As far as I'm aware none of these people have been discussed on here this year.

• Like 1