TQR

Falling Fauna

This thread means that no more will one enter the extra-curricular Animal Antics thread to be amused/uplifted by, er, what the thread title promised, only to exit it more depressed having just read about a precious creature’s cancer death. Those posts can go here.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Tuan Tuan, giant panda of Taipei Zoo, who died recently aged 18.

• Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

This thread means that no more will one enter the extra-curricular Animal Antics thread to be amused/uplifted by, er, what the thread title promised, only to exit it more depressed having just read about a precious creature’s cancer death. Those posts can go here.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Tuan Tuan, giant panda of Taipei Zoo, who died recently aged 18.

Good idea. The number of Animal Antics posts that would go something like  "the funny dog that said Hi to people on Twitter" :D "died of terminal sadness today after its owner shot themselves" :huh: was a bit depressing!

• Like 3

9C6F041E-2EE7-4448-BE4C-B5D0594079D9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deadsox said:

I wish you'd used spoiler tags, some of us still haven't seen Bambi.

• Haha 2

Well I thought, finally here is a thread I can contribute to.  I think it qualifies as "fauna" and "falling".

4 hours ago, deadsox said:

What were you using? I've a .243 and use 100gn soft points, big enough for anything about here.

• Like 1

50 caliber muzzleloader hollow point slug that was 295 grains.  Used 150 grains of pyrodex powder 

• Like 1

At first I read Falling Fauja in the title and thought it was the thread about Fauja Singh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Biff, the trampolining dog from the 2016 John Lewis Christmas advert has died. He was 12.

• Sad 3

Berlin's AquaDom aquarium has exploded, releasing over a million litres of water and over 1500 fish, many of which have died.

There's no truth in the rumour that police are seeking information into the whereabouts of a Mr. E. Hunt.

• Sad 3

My stepdaughters Rottweiler died this morning aged under two years.  Lung cancer. :(

• Sad 13

7 hours ago, chel said:

There was an event on 14 December:

"Azerbaijan's peaceful environmentalists released 44 doves into the sky as a sign of peace on the Khankendi-Lachin road".

Videos from different angles:

Shorts https://youtube.com/shorts/dJ3xumblRck

(3:44) https://youtu.be/ad0udbOhIL4

(1:12-3:42) https://youtu.be/sl3JW1H2IeA

:(

Omg I’m sorry but the woman shacking that poor dove and then throwing it in the air is just hilarious to me. Poor dove tho

PewDiePie's pug Maya has died at 17.

You might recognize her from this song he made about her:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Two stallions have been killed by a swarm of bees at a stud farm in India.

Berlin, the polar bear who captured the hearts of many, has died. Berlin, at 33, was the oldest polar bear in human care in the United States. For the last 10 years, she had been living at the Kansas City Zoo.

Berlin was one of two polar bears at the Lake Superior Zoo. She came to Duluth in 1990 when she was one years old.

While at the Kansas City Zoo, staff hoped to mate Berlin with a 6-year-old male polar bear named Nikita. The two hit it off, but at 23 years old, Berlin was never able to conceive.

Zoo officials say for the past several months she had been treated for systemic hypertension, and there is no cure for the disease.

Berlin’s health had significantly declined Wednesday morning and staff determined there were no other medical options to improve her condition. She was peacefully euthanized surrounded by her caregivers.

SC

628D3765-2086-4CFD-9C2E-320C4A447C63.jpeg

Edited by Death Impends
Moved to appropriate thread
  • Sad 1

The world’s largest toad, Toadzilla, weighing pert near 6 pounds, has been euthanised (primarily for being an invasive species to Australia).

SC

• Sad 1

On 22/01/2023 at 11:40, Sir Creep said:

O maior sapo do mundo, Toadzilla, pesando cerca de 6 quilos, foi sacrificado (principalmente por ser uma espécie invasora da Austrália).

SC

What sad and regretful news, certainly there was another way to take it from the Australian wild, or they could put it in a zoo, but killing the poor animal is very cruel

On 22/01/2023 at 14:40, Sir Creep said:

The world’s largest toad, Toadzilla, weighing pert near 6 pounds, has been euthanised (primarily for being an invasive species to Australia).

SC

Thought that was you pal.

• Shocked 1

Has anyone been following the GWR Oldest Living Dog dogpile? It's riveting.

Guinness went a few years without verifying the age of a dog. That changed in April last year when TobyKeith, born on 9th January 2001, was given the title of oldest living dog.

90877138.thumb.jpg.e12391cc45dd976d73395f0b71a20c56.jpg

Then, only a month later, Pebbles (b. 28th March 2000) stole the title and even got a certificate. Sadly she crossed the rainbow bridge in October.

oldest-dog-living-split-image_tcm25-706130.thumb.jpg.b96d951a0c5278da8f54b9ce7441f6b8.jpg

The title went back to TobyKeith, right? Wrong! Gino (b. 24th September 2000) was given the title in December.

split-image-of-Gino-Wolf-in-a-car-and-lying-down-at-home_tcm25-729417.thumb.jpg.7404ac336704bd83f81981fdc86e8f7c.jpg

Just a fortnight ago, it was Spike's turn to claim the title. He was born in 1999, making him older than all of the above dogs. However, there was some controversy around his age as he was 'discovered' by his current owners in 2009 and there was some estimation involved in his age. Notice that the verification dates don't line up on the certificates? Must mean that they send certificates before fully validating their ages, so the dogs can pose with them in case they cark it beforehand.

spike-1.thumb.jpg.a782b4cc7b8583d4818c888ae0367a8f.jpg

Today we saw the greatest upset of all time. Bobi from Portugal was born on 11th May 1992, making him the oldest dog ever to be verified. The record had stood since 1939.

This dog is 30 YEARS OLD!!!! Bet some of you younger millennials thought you'd outlived all the dogs in the world.

0_Bobi.jpg.6dd71290258ad4fd531e89b1005da9b2.jpg

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2023/2/oldest-dog-ever-record-broken-by-30-year-old-bobi-from-portugal-736224 (this article explains how his age was proven, but the owners' parents were puppy murderers so don't read it)

• Like 7
  • Shocked 1

what I wonder is how can one be sure that there is no other unknown older dogs ? similarly to oldest people by the way

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

what I wonder is how can one be sure that there is no other unknown older dogs ? similarly to oldest people by the way

Loads of people lie about their pets' ages. It's harder to disprove than folk saying their granny in Burkina Faso is 165, as we have a good idea of the max lifespan of humans. There's more variation in animals and different breeds. People with genuinely old dogs are less likely to realise they have a record holder on their hands.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Loads of people lie about their pets' ages. It's harder to disprove than folk saying their granny in Burkina Faso is 165, as we have a good idea of the max lifespan of humans. There's more variation in animals and different breeds. People with genuinely old dogs are less likely to realise they have a record holder on their hands.

yes that's what I thought. I mean 22 is old for a dog but it doesn't ring a bell to me as "groundbreaking". I'm sure I already heard someone around me telling me his/her dog was 18-19 or something like that. 

When you adopt a dog from a rescue there isn't always a known history. I don't know the age of my dog for sure.

• Like 1