Joey Russ

Who Should Make The Deathlist 2023?

James Earl Jones and Robert Wagner might be worthy of a place, both are in their nineties and worsening in health. Bob Newhart mightn't be a bad pick either

• Like 1

Brian Murphy is getting on a bit, and rather well-known. Definitely famous enough for the DeathList. I think that, after the Peter Bowles miss back in March, and the sudden emptiness of the "Comedy Actor" slot, he would fit right in, although I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Brian Murphy is getting on a bit, and rather well-known. Definitely famous enough for the DeathList. I think that, after the Peter Bowles miss back in March, and the sudden emptiness of the "Comedy Actor" slot, he would fit right in, although I hope I'm wrong. 

Richard Wilson or Patricia Routledge also strike me as worthy contenders for the Comedy Actor slot. 

• Like 1

Did strike me earlier that 2023 is a perfect opportunity for the Cmme to utterly smash their record if they wanted to.

The likely holdovers from 2022 are either notoriously old (Kissinger, Carter), ill (Charlton, Starmer-Smith, Pele, Whale), or known frail people (Tebbit). 

The potential returnees include Joanne Woodward (very ill for a decade), Linda Nolan (Stage IV cancer), Pope Benedict (looks like a corpse), Willie Nelson (seriously ill earlier this year, and 90 next year), Nigel Lawson (last legs for ages now), and Liza Minelli (very badly il at the Oscars)

Gravely ill people who feel very DLy include George Alagiah, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Frank Field, Rolf Harris, Roberta Flack, and Johnnie Irwin. Not been so many "yeah they're obviously DL" dying names to my mind since 2009. 

Ill folk they could easily go for include Andy Taylor, Frank McGarvey, Steve McMichael. (I dont care about your fame thoughts, they picked Bill Gate's dad, case closed.)

Then there's your frail/sick/just old names who feel DLy: Fay Weldon, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, David Graham, William Russell, Pat Robertson, Sandra Day O'Connor, Dennis Skinner, Topol, Ruth Buzzi, Sonny Rollins, etc etc.

Def feel like over 20 is possible with a great, well chosen, list. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Did strike me earlier that 2023 is a perfect opportunity for the Cmme to utterly smash their record if they wanted to.

The likely holdovers from 2022 are either notoriously old (Kissinger, Carter), ill (Charlton, Starmer-Smith, Pele, Whale), or known frail people (Tebbit). 

The potential returnees include Joanne Woodward (very ill for a decade), Linda Nolan (Stage IV cancer), Pope Benedict (looks like a corpse), Willie Nelson (seriously ill earlier this year, and 90 next year), Nigel Lawson (last legs for ages now), and Liza Minelli (very badly il at the Oscars)

Gravely ill people who feel very DLy include George Alagiah, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Frank Field, Rolf Harris, Roberta Flack, and Johnnie Irwin. Not been so many "yeah they're obviously DL" dying names to my mind since 2009. 

Ill folk they could easily go for include Andy Taylor, Frank McGarvey, Steve McMichael. (I dont care about your fame thoughts, they picked Bill Gate's dad, case closed.)

Then there's your frail/sick/just old names who feel DLy: Fay Weldon, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, David Graham, William Russell, Pat Robertson, Sandra Day O'Connor, Dennis Skinner, Topol, Ruth Buzzi, Sonny Rollins, etc etc.

Def feel like over 20 is possible with a great, well chosen, list. 

I’d be suprised if Johnnie Irwin is selected and I would be very surprised if they picked Frank McGravey or Steve McMichael.

On 24/11/2022 at 19:38, Spade_Cooley said:

Mary Quant and Chris Rea.

Mary Quant feels such a deathlisty name

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Mary Quant feels such a deathlisty name

Patricia Routledge, Thelma Barlow and Joan Plowright (all English actresses born in 1929) also feel such Deathlisty names. I can almost guarantee at least one of them will make up one of the fifty next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

Patricia Routledge, Thelma Barlow and Joan Plowright (all English actresses born in 1929) also feel such Deathlisty names. I can almost guarantee at least one of them will make up one of the fifty next year.

Starting to seriously question whether you have Alzheimer's disease.

You posted an almost identical post about proposing these exact three actresses several months ago.

In another instance on Ideas and Possibilities you suggested Yvonne Furneaux, then several weeks later said "what about Yvonne Furneaux?". You did the same with Robert Wagner several times etc. etc. 

Seeing loads of examples of you doing this. Therein lies the question... are you Peter Falk?

56 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Starting to seriously question whether you have Alzheimer's disease.

You posted an almost identical post about proposing these exact three actresses several months ago.

In another instance on Ideas and Possibilities you suggested Yvonne Furneaux, then several weeks later said "what about Yvonne Furneaux?". You did the same with Robert Wagner several times etc. etc. 

Seeing loads of examples of you doing this. Therein lies the question... are you Peter Falk?

You should tally up the posts he’s done advocating for the omission of Clint Eastwood from the deathlist on the grounds that he’s apparently miraculously healthy. He’s been blowing that horn for over a year in dozens of posts. 

• Like 1

Probably General Pervs and the Ayatollah will be back. Surely pope Benny deserves a top 5 spot.

• Like 5

Rhod Gilbert needs to be considered for the 2023 list. Stage IV throat and neck cancer, his prognosis cannot be good.

I'd also like to see Alan Bennett on the list. He survived being diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 1997, but is now 88 and would be a good addition to the list.

2 hours ago, GEMINEYE said:

Rhod Gilbert needs to be considered for the 2023 list. Stage IV throat and neck cancer, his prognosis cannot be good.

I'd also like to see Alan Bennett on the list. He survived being diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 1997, but is now 88 and would be a good addition to the list.

Any Confirmation it is throat or neck?

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

Any Confirmation it is throat or neck?

It was diagnosed through throat issues but they've didn't say if it was throat cancer or if it had spread to his throat. Tbf both of those are bad signs for Stage IV cancer.

The 53-year-old from Carmarthen spoke to Eleri Sion on BBC Radio Wales on Friday, December 9, and shared how he recorded the DVD show during his performance in Cardiff's Millennium Centre in April. The BBC reports that he was struggling with his throat "straight after that."

He said: "I had a terribly sore throat, tightness through my neck. I was having to cancel shows because I couldn't breathe.

18 minutes ago, msc said:

It was diagnosed through throat issues but they've didn't say if it was throat cancer or if it had spread to his throat. Tbf both of those are bad signs for Stage IV cancer.

Was wondering if it was throat head and neck or Non Hodgkins lymphoma.

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

Was wondering if it was throat head and neck or Non Hodgkins lymphoma.

That we don't know and is why he's not a lock for me. Yet. 

• Like 1

I think the 2023 deathlist has the potential to be the best one.

I think the deathlist in 2023 should focus more on people who serious ill rather than just really old. Too many deathlist hits are just a random 90+ year old who just drops one day. That's boring. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

I think the deathlist in 2023 should focus more on people who serious ill rather than just really old. Too many deathlist hits are just a random 90+ year old who just drops one day. That's boring. 

I can remember that half of the 2020 deathlist were people that had dementia or terminal cancer. The 2020 deathlist was probably the most successful one because of that.

17 hours ago, When The said:

I can remember that half of the 2020 deathlist were people that had dementia or terminal cancer. The 2020 deathlist was probably the most successful one because of that.

Covid might have tipped that scale. Just a tidge cause we are never told shit. DLC knows all.

Putin has to be on it for shits and giggles, plus the stress of the war and growing urge to replace him. Zelensky for that matter too, still being in a war zone and all. Biden is undoubtedly senile and looks like he's made of partially dried paper mache, but a bit of a long shot regardless.
The Duke of Kent, Dennis Skinner, Neil Kinnock, maybe even Jeremy Corbyn or Jacob Zuma could be fair choices in the political sphere. Trump in pretty atrocious health too, actually.

Depending on how dramatically he continues to spiral and how many more enemies he makes, could Kanye be worth considering?

On 04/12/2022 at 19:05, Sean said:

Frank Field should also make an appearance.Not sure what is wrong with him but 80 terminally ill and was in a hospice over a year ago.Astounded he hasn't gone this year really.

Yes I remember there being a stir on here when the 2022 list was released regarding the fact Frank Field wasn't on it, so would be a good pick for next year, unless he does a Desmond Tutu and goes on Boxing Day.

19 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

The thing is some of the ill people are not famous enough. Sandra Weir for example. I doubt Jonnie Irwin is famous enough too. Same for chris stone. At this point it’s just like picking centenarian and supercentenarian Who are slightly famous like Marita Camacho Quiros for exemple. None of them would belong on the list.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I doubt Jonnie Irwin is famous enough too.

Regular TV presenter for 2 decades, passes the Mum Test (ie when Mum brings up someone being ill unprompted). 

You have to remember that, when the Cmme want to, they are known to chase terminally ill niche people (Gord Downie, Genesis Porridge) or not known that well outside of one country names (Robert  Novak, Bill Turnbull) so assuming they wont think of a current TV face getting a lot of TV coverage (or a notorious murderer/NFLer/politician etc etc) is a fools game.

For all we know, Grim is currently watching YouTube video after YouTube video of Valdas Adamkus...:lol:

1 minute ago, msc said:

Regular TV presenter for 2 decades, passes the Mum Test (ie when Mum brings up someone being ill unprompted). 

You have to remember that, when the Cmme want to, they are known to chase terminally ill niche people (Gord Downie, Genesis Porridge) or not known that well outside of one country names (Robert  Novak, Bill Turnbull) so assuming they wont think of a current TV face getting a lot of TV coverage (or a notorious murderer/NFLer/politician etc etc) is a fools game.

For all we know, Grim is currently watching YouTube video after YouTube video of Valdas Adamkus...:lol:

It’s not because they did a mistake with Gates Sr. That this mistake should be made again. I agree with you though that the one you mentionned were quite questionnable though. I would just like to see more notable people. There is a lot of them quite ill too.

19 hours ago, When The said:

Dementia is no guarantee of imminent death. See Woodward, Joanne and Scales, Prunella. 

I smell for 2023: 

Alain Delon

Amartya Sen

Buzz Aldrin

Charlie Munger

Elon Musk

George Soros

Kanye West

Tina Turner

• Like 1