Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool V

Actually, since Biblio hasn't yet uploaded the master lists for this round, I'll take the lull as an opportunity to do a quick review of previous games.

R4

There have been two deaths since John Aniston put me over the top in November, but neither death has resulted in anybody else taking a podium place as yet. There were 48 hits before I won, which was by far the highest for any round so far (34 in R2 was the previous highest - also won by me. :D). Highest mortality was Olympians (14), closely followed by Star Trek (13). Staggeringly, only 1 Cabinet Minister fell across the entire 17 months the game lasted.

R3

Some exciting action since August here. Anatoly Filipchenko (Astronaut) dying put Champion @Banana over the top for the second time (technically the third - he'd won by losing all his Bond picks, then won again the same way by losing all his World Cup players!) for a hit in all 5 categories. Olivia Newton-John's (Eurovision) demise put me and @Toast over the top, with a hit in all 5 categories, meaning we finished joint-9th. I had been 1st and 2nd on Rounds 1 and 2, while Toast had been 2nd and 3rd - quite a fall from grace! Particularly for Toast, who actually got herself into a winning position before anybody else with the death of her 4th Bond actor, relying on the demise of Robbie Coltrane to win the day. Instead, he died 2 months after ONJ, meaning Toast had now won 2 ways (Whole Category), as have @Grim Up North and @An Fear Beag the same way at the same time. Finally, in December, Israeli guitarist Yitzhak Klepter (Eurovision) passed, picked only by Banana, who incredibly had now won by Unique Picks, meaning he's now technically completed the round 4 times over! There remain 9 players from R3, which finished in May 2021 who are yet to finish.

R2

Two deaths have put people over the top for the first time since I last rounded up: Boxer Johnny Famechon was one of 3 deaths in that category in August, September and October this year, and gave @time hits in all 5 categories. And Jerry Lee Lewis's death (Grammy Winners) was enough to make @YoungWillz the 13th person to complete the round, just the 28 months after it originally finished! That was via Unique Picks. Only 2 players have failed to complete thus far, @Spade_Cooley, who needs an EU Leader to go or one of his 3 Unique Picks to croak, and @FixedBusiness, who needs a Grammy Winner to die. Spade is somewhat unlucky: he picked Ugo Mifsud Bonnici, former Maltese President who is still breathing, but his cousin Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici, former PM of the same country has died - he was a Unique Pick by gcreptile. Fixed Business has both Tony Bennett and Yoko Ono among his Grammy picks, so has a chance of completing this year.

R1

Absolutely nobody picked in Round 1 has died since Bernard Cribbins (Dr Who) back in July! That means @RadGuy and Time remain the only players from the first round yet to complete it, just over 5 years after it finished! However, 2023 deaths for the increasingly frail William Russell and Richard Franklin would be enough to put that right.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Verification is taking a little longer than expected

I have completed 19 out of the 27 entries so hopefully today or tomorrow.

Should speed up as the same names keep coming up

Everyone who have Pope Benedict has at least got a sub to replace him with but if they have not updated me then they will be starting the game without a sub

This is an educational experience

• Like 3

The teams are up. This is not the free for all of Round IV where there were vast numbers of uniques

I think quantity is going to be important and I think to win this on unique picks will be very very lucky (but not impossible)

The number of picks in each category is

Corrie - 49

Brits - 47

Oscars - 47

F1 - 48

TIME - 50

Poor old Phil Collins has been picked in 22 out of 28 teams so I hope it doesn't come down to him being a winning pick

You have until 18th January to submit any challenges with evidence. I am hoping that I have not made any mistakes but it has been quite a stressful start to the new year especially as someone had both Pope Benedict and Barbara Walters in their TIME teams.

Will this game wrap up in 2023 or will the next round be in 2024?

Do keep an eye out for your own picks because not all of these will be front page news especially some of the smaller players in The Street and the F1 drivers from the early years

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Not my categories at ALL.

But three uniques in the Time 100 category (plus Vince Clarke). These three uniques are actually pretty good. It's the only category I can get an advantage, I think.

Still, some expert must surely be pulling ahead with the Coronation Street actors.

As expected, not nearly as many unique picks for me this time. Most surprising one is Gene Hackman. I realize he’s in pretty good health but he does turn 93 this year and is very well known.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Not my categories at ALL.

But three uniques in the Time 100 category (plus Vince Clarke). These three uniques are actually pretty good. It's the only category I can get an advantage, I think.

Still, some expert must surely be pulling ahead with the Coronation Street actors.

Three ways to win (one more than last time for me) - 3 uniques exactly, but one of them is Adam Ant! There's at least one old or very ill person per group. But yes, Corrie is the group to watch - my group of 5 there include a Joanne Woodward case, a long term COPD sufferer, a very old dementia case and 2 old/frailish names, and I'm sure others more on the nose with research have even better teams tbh.

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised to have 6 uniques - I can't see myself winning by this way, but at least I've a live chance.

Very surprised that Jane Fonda is unique - I don't think that she will actually be a hit, but still, an 85 year old recent cancer sufferer is not a bad pick to have.

Corrie actors Ioan Meredith and Alan Partington are complete wildcards as I've no idea about Corrie actors at all. They are 94 and 89 respectively, so could go tomorrow, or could last 10 years. Same goes for TIME pick Amartya Sen.

Brit winners Kirk Pengilly and Beverly Craven have both successfully beaten cancer, so at their age, they are extreme outside shots. But I am guessing that most players will be relying on Taylor and Collins for a hit in this category, and after that who knows.

I've got one more unique than I expected, i.e. one.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Not surprised I have no uniques. More surprised that I took uniques from three other teams.

• Like 2

Well, "shocked" to see that my last minute team has got no unique picks. :lol:  Guess I'm slightly surprised that Aung San Suu Kyi was only stopped from being a unique by Commtech Sio Bibble - 78 in June, back under house arrest, there's got to be a sense of futility about her chances of getting out again, and if she becomes a figurehead for resistance again, surely you could see the unhinged junta decide to be done with her once and for all, if not by execution but by starvation or poisoning or something. Worth a punt. But in part, I picked her because I only had time to do some research over the lists from 2004-2010, and even then it wasn't comprehensive.

Going to be really interesting to see how this develops: chances are quantity of hits is going to be vital, as Biblio says, as it's probably perfectly plausible for 2 or 3 people to reach the target with the same 5 hits across each category. Winner could well come down to who has seen enough other hits go. And, while there are lots of doddery people and a few quite ill people on this list, you couldn't say there are many that are guaranteed to go in the next 12 months, which could make for an exciting game. Will do some number crunching later.

Oh, and loving the new-look scoreboard Biblio! :D

• Thanks 1

Surprisingly (a) unique(s) in 4 categories, so in theory I could win that way.

Thanks for hard work Biblio, appreciate the effort and dedication!

• Like 2

Two uniques: Thelma Ruby for Coronation Street and Kanye West for Brit Awards winners (one can hope) :D 

Just missed out on a unique in F1 as @arghton and I both have Keke Rosberg. Of the living world champions born mid-1940's and later he seems to be the frailest (since we don't know anything concrete about Schumacher).

2 minutes ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Two uniques: Thelma Ruby for Coronation Street and Kanye West for Brit Awards winners (one can hope) :D 

Just missed out on a unique in F1 as @arghton and I both have Keke Rosberg. Of the living world champions born mid-1940's and later he seems to be the frailest (since we don't know anything concrete about Schumacher).

Kayne West is also a unique in the TIME category

• Like 1

There is an update for the masterlist for the Time category

I incorrectly rejected a pick from @BuffaloPhil which would have given them a unique pick rather than use their sub so I will include Katie Couric as a unique and remove one of the picks of  Jurgen Habermas

• Like 1

My team was put together in around 30 minutes, the Corrie research entailed going to IMDB, looking at the show's entire cast history and picking anyone who was a) still alive but b) had a headshot that looked like it was taken in the 1970s. Brit Awards uniques were based around: a) you don't ever really hear much from Dire Straits' drummer these days; b) Prince's drummer had a heart attack a few years ago c) DJ Minutemix is a nonce.

Did we all look at OoO's info for the F1 drivers? I went through the thread and had never seen such carnage anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

There is an update for the masterlist for the Time category

I incorrectly rejected a pick from @BuffaloPhil which would have given them a unique pick rather than use their sub so I will include Katie Couric as a unique and remove one of the picks of  Jurgen Habermas

My only unique across the game, so I don't think it'll make much difference either way - but you never know! :lol:

• Like 1

Oooo noticed I got unique pick for Terry Moore.

• Like 1

Ok, let's crunch some numbers.

• Remarkable equality across all the groups - highest is the Time 100 with 51 different picks, and the lowest is the Brits and the Oscars with 47 apiece.
  • Most popular pick is, perhaps surprisingly, Phil Collins (Brits) with 22 out of 27, followed by a tie between Shirley Bassey (Brits), Andy Taylor (Brits), Glynis Johns (Oscars), Joanne Woodward (Oscars) and Kenneth MacAlpine (F1) with 14 picks apiece. The highest in the Coronation Street group is Eileen Derbyshire, on 13 teams.
  • There were 242 picks in total across the teams in this round, which is lower than Round 4 (281 picks), but higher than all previous rounds (224 in R3 then next highest).
  • However, there were the highest number of players we've ever had for this round (27), compared to 23 last time, 19 in R3 and 15 each in Rounds 1 and 2. This means the average picks per player is the lowest in this round (less than 9) compared to any other round.
  • We've gained 7 new players in R5, and lost 4 players from R4, including R3 champion Banana, who may not have liked the categories, or possibly had to withdraw due to the demands of taking on a key role in the DDP just before Christmas. We have one returning player, in the form of The Old Crem, who previous played R3 but missed R4.
  • 8 players (YoungWillz, Captain Chorizo, Time, Death Impends, Toast, gcreptile, msc and Rover and Out) have taken part in all 5 rounds of the Scavenger Hunt to date, while game runner Bibliogryphon did not participate in the first round, but has done so in addition to managing the game in all subsequent rounds. Spade Cooley also joined for R2 onwards.  
  • Despite the suggestions that Uniques were hard to come by, 120 of the 251 picks, so nearly half, were Uniques. But this is much lower than the 186/281 that were Uniques during the last round. 
  • Highest category for Uniques this time is the Brits with 29, lowest is Formula One with 19.
  • Last time , 3 players failed to meet the 3 Uniques required to win by that method, but this time that has jumped to a whopping 11 our of 27 who are already down to 2 methods of victory. They unfortunately include Death Impends, who has now failed to secure 3 Uniques on successive rounds, but the other unfortunates on the previous round, msc and Perhaps have both reached the threshold of exactly 3! 
  • msc became the first player to record 0 Uniques on the last round, but this time around, there are 2 more who've achieved this unlucky feat: Death Impends and me! Buffalo Phil nearly joined us, until Biblio reversed his rejection of Katie Couric in the Time 100 category giving him a single Unique.
  • Death by Arsenic sets a new record for Unique Picks in a single round of 18/25, besting Captain Hemlock's 16 from the previous round. Newcomer Famous6Eva matches that mark of 16, but the third highest are Time, Great Uncle Bulgaria and Thatcher with 7 apiece.
  • Lots of opportunities for cross-category picks in this round (actors or musicians who've appeared on Time 100 lists, Ian McKellen who appeared in Corrie, etc.), but only two made it in multiple categories and both for different people. Kanye West is a Unique for ThereWillBeDeaths7 in the Brit Awards category and for Death by Arsenic in the Time 100 list, while Clint Eastwood was picked as a Time 100 pick by The Old Crem and Thatcher and as an Oscar nominee by MortalCaso, Commtech Sio Bibble and Great Uncle Bulgaria. Barbra Streisand was picked by Lady Fiona and Great Uncle Bulgaria in the Brit Award Winners category, but nobody picked her as an Oscar nominee.
  • There were an impressive 15 picks who have appeared in previous rounds.
  • Kenneth Cope was a unique pick for gcreptile in the Doctor Who category of R1, and is now picked by 11 teams in the Coronation Street category, including by Reptile, who is at least consistent!
  • William Russell was also picked in the same Dr Who category by Death Impends, Captain Chorizo and Rover and Out (me) and is on 10 teams for his role in Coronation Street this time, among them my team but not Death Impends' or Chorizo's.
  • Biblio, Toast and Spade Cooley all picked Alice Munro in the Nobel Prize category in R3 but this time she was picked by 8 teams as a Time 100 pick by 8 teams, but only Toast of those who picked her before.
  • Eric Clapton and Phil Collins were Unique picks in the Grammys category in R2 for past player Fixed Business, but this time Collins received 22 picks and Clapton was a Unique for Arghton, both in the Brits category.
  • In the same group, Paul McCartney and Cliff Richard were previously picked in the #1 Artists category in R1, Richard by R1 champ Rotten Ali as a Unique and McCartney by Rad Guy and Deathray. This time Richard is on 10 teams and McCartney has been picked by Old Crem and Commtech Bibble.
  • Sinead O'Connor holds the distinction of being selected in all 3 categories she's been eligible for so far: as a Unique #1 Artist for Rad Guy in R1, as a Unique Grammy Winner for Time in R2 and by Buffalo Phil and Lady Fiona in the Brits category this time around.
  • As for the film actors, 7 of those picked in the Oscars category have previously been selected. Teri Garr is a carry over from R4 - she was a Unique Star Trek actress for Death Impends last time and is a Unique Oscar nominee for Captain Hemlock this time.
  • Barbara Barrie was selected in 5 teams as a Kevin Bacon co-star in R2, and is picked this time by 2 teams, Chorizo and Death Impends - Impends picked her last time but Chorizo did not.
  • George Chakiris was selected by YoungWillz and Grim Up North as a Dallas actor in R2, and is a Unique pick for Perhaps this time round.
  • Jack Nicholson was also picked as a Kevin Bacon co-star in R2, a Unique pick for Fixed Business, while this time he was selected by Arghton and Commtech Bibble.
  • Chaim Topol was a Unique pick in the James Bond category for YoungWillz in R3, and he is joined by 10 others this time in selecting him.
  • Joel Grey joins Sinead O'Connor as a pick in 3 separate categories. He was selected by Biblio and Fixed Business as a Dallas actor in R2, as a Unique pick by MariNisia in R4 as a Star Trek actor, and is picked by Biblio again and An Fear Beag this time as an Oscar nominee.
  • The shortest wait for a first death so far is 10 days before Diana Rigg began the Bond Massacre in R3. The longest wait for a first death was R2, when we were 4 days short of 2 months in before Charles Neville became the first Grammy Winner to die. The shortest game to date was R3, which was over and done in just over 8 months. The longest game so far was Round 2, which lasted 2 years and 4 months! So the possibilities are endless!

Let the games begin! I'm sure it will be as slow and ponderous and then as chaotic and unpredictable as always!

Right, I'm going for a lie down... :lol:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wait wait wait wait... Nobody picked 102-year-old Arnold Yarrow??? Edit: AND NO DAVID GRAHAM???

I started on a team earlier in the month, but never got around to picking the easiest category for picks due to DDP, but here's what would have been my team.

Time's 100:

1. Pope Benedict XVI
  2. David Hockney
  3. Stephen Lewis
  4. Amartya Sen
  5. Manmohan Singh

F1:

1. Slim Borgudd
  2. Kenneth McAlpine
  3. David Piper
  4. John Rhodes
  5. Gaetano Starrabba

Coronation Street:

1. David Graham
  2. Elizabeth Kelly
  3. Prunella Scales
  4. Bill Steel
  5. Arnold Yarrow

Brit Awards:

1. Shirley Bassey
  2. Phil Collins
  3. Nick Hallam
  4. Zubin Metha
  5. Andy Taylor
  • Like 3

One for the list of the missed - Wyllie Longmore, who had appeared as Dr. McKinnon in 1992 has died aged 82.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Banana said:

Wait wait wait wait... Nobody picked 102-year-old Arnold Yarrow??? Edit: AND NO DAVID GRAHAM???

I started on a team earlier in the month, but never got around to picking the easiest category for picks due to DDP, but here's what would have been my team.

Time's 100:

1. Pope Benedict XVI
  2. David Hockney
  3. Stephen Lewis
  4. Amartya Sen
  5. Manmohan Singh

F1:

1. Slim Borgudd
  2. Kenneth McAlpine
  3. David Piper
  4. John Rhodes
  5. Gaetano Starrabba

Coronation Street:

1. David Graham
  2. Elizabeth Kelly
  3. Prunella Scales
  4. Bill Steel
  5. Arnold Yarrow

Brit Awards:

1. Shirley Bassey
  2. Phil Collins
  3. Nick Hallam
  4. Zubin Metha
  5. Andy Taylor

Sorry you missed out, Banana, hope you can take part in Round 6. It will be interesting to see if you'd have got close!

No hits yet in this round, but Gianluca Vialli's demise puts @An Fear Beag over the top for Unique Picks (yes, Vialli was only a unique pick for World Cup Footballers, although his illness was not necessarily terminal back then) and means he becomes the second player after Banana to complete by all 3 methods. Fitting, as he finished 2nd overall to Banana too!

• Like 1