Sign in to follow this  
Lafaucheuse

In Memoriam Award 2022

I present to you… the first annual In Memoriam Award 

Before the end of december (votes close on the 2 of january at 12pm english time), whoever wants can vote by PM for the person who deserves to win in each category below explained. I will then sum up all the votes and come with a winner for each category and two "honorable mentions". A candidate can be nominated and win in several categories. Results will be post on this thread in the first days of january 2023. Without further ado, here are the categories

The biggest female death : the most groundbreaking death of the year, the one which you think was the most influential, the most important, the most… the biggest. 

The biggest male death : read above… but with a man

Most shocking one : the death that you didn't expect, that made you feel like "omg what ?" 

The saddest one : that one death that, when you heard of, you suddenfly had a speck of durst in your eyes. 

The best received one : the one that you laughed at, that you acclaimed 

The most awaited one : the one that wasn't a shock, that was long overdue, that made you feel like "at last, finally !". Immortals and lingerer candidates mostly in here. 

The biggest survivor : the celeb that you're the most surprised to see have survived the year

The biggest miss : the one that the committee should have picked… but didn't

The most promising one : the prominent celeb that you think is the most promising to be a hit for your personal list or the official one in 2023

The 50 spot : the most deserving of the n°50 spot on the 2023 deathlist 

ps : if anyone has a better title, let me know it's currently the obvious and boring one that I went with... 

• Like 14

feel free to answer "no one" in a category if you don't feel like someone is deserving of the award or if you don't like to answer. The "no one" will be counted.

Just now, Summer in Transylvania said:

Just select someone you didn't predict, then. 

I misread the original post. I have since removed that comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

The biggest survivor : the celeb that you're the most surprised to see have survived the year. 

The most promising one : the prominent celeb that you think is the most promising to be a hit for your personal list or the official one in 2023

The 50 spot : the most deserving of the n°50 spot on the 2023 deathlist 

Just to be clear, if we submit nominations early, and our nominees in any of these categories die before the new year, are we allowed to submit a new name in the corresponding category(ies), or would our submission just not count? 

3 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Just to be clear, if we submit nominations early, and our nominees in any of these categories die before the new year, are we allowed to submit a new name in the corresponding category(ies), or would our submission just not count? 

Yes of course you’re able to change your submission until the 31th of december ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

The biggest death : Queen Elizabeth II

Most shocking one : Queen Elizabeth II

The saddest one : Queen Elizabeth II

The best received one : Queen Elizabeth II

The most awaited one : Queen Elizabeth II

The biggest survivor : Queen Elizabeth II (she lives on in our hearts)

The biggest miss : Queen Elizabeth II (I miss her)

The most promising one : Queen Elizabeth II (she wasn't really in that box)

The 50 spot : Queen Elizabeth II (just incase she wasn't really in that box)

So in answer to the question, Queen Elizabeth II.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surprised that there haven't been any awards like this in the past

Who'd be the biggest death if the Queen was still alive? Gorbachev for his global impact? 

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

So in answer to the question, Queen Elizabeth II.

I should have thought of that award idea last year, I fear her majesty will win a lot of them… 

I'd argue this is incomplete until the year is actually finished.

Deadline for submission should be the second or third week of January, as some deaths trickle in late (Betty White?). I would say anyone that submits a list now, has it incomplete inherently. Thus invalidates the awards altogether.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

I'd argue this is incomplete until the year is actually finished.

Deadline for submission should be the second or third week of January, as some deaths trickle in late (Betty White?). I would say anyone that submits a list now, has it incomplete inherently. Thus invalidates the awards altogether.

This is actually true. If you were doing this last year, Betty White wouldn't have a chance since she died on the 31st of December, but she's a Deathlist icon who would have been a popular choice. 

• Like 1

You’re right. I’ll change the date to 2nd of january 20pm for the closing. That way people dead on the 31st and only announced on the 1st or the 2nd would have a chance. 

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I should have thought of that award idea last year

I think there's still time to vote for 2021-2018 or so. The top 5, maybe even 6, categories don't seem to attract much, if any at all, hindsight bias so those can be used.

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

You’re right. I’ll change the date to 2nd of january 20pm for the closing. That way people dead on the 31st and only announced on the 1st or the 2nd would have a chance. 

Why don't you do as @MortalCaso suggested, and make it later in January?  31 January would give plenty of time for death announcements, and remove it from the end-of-year log jam.

People will have more time to think about it in the new year.

• Thanks 1

I agree that the final date of submission should be January, but there are a few categories that should still end with the year, such as the category predicting 2023's No.50, for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

I agree that the final date of submission should be January, but there are a few categories that should still end with the year, such as the category predicting 2023's No.50, for obvious reasons. 

Isn't that an opinion rather than a prediction?  Surely they're all opinions.

46 minutes ago, Toast said:

Why don't you do as @MortalCaso suggested, and make it later in January?  31 January would give plenty of time for death announcements, and remove it from the end-of-year log jam.

People will have more time to think about it in the new year.

I understand that it's in the busiest period of the year but I doubt postponing it at the end of january would change anything : I don't think anyone who could appear on any category would be announced death one month (or more) after the closing of the poll. Plus, it doesn't have any sense to have an "2022 award" thing one month after the end of the year does it ? Furthermore, "most promising one" category would be quite distorted... 

if everyone wants to postpone it at the end of january then we can do like that but I really think it's easier closing the thing on the 2nd at midnight. It's not like you need to have a full list of people, just a few categories and a lot of them can already be completed (we're not waiting someone who could top her majesty in december for example). 

Feel free to send a primary list when you want and to correct it in late late december or early january (I will post a reminder here) if a recent death comes to mind :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Isn't that an opinion rather than a prediction?  Surely they're all opinions.

You're right though, it's more an opinion than a prediction ! the goal is not to predict whoever will be on the 50 spot but much more who, in your opinion, is deserving of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoorSlammer said:

I think there's still time to vote for 2021-2018 or so. The top 5, maybe even 6, categories don't seem to attract much, if any at all, hindsight bias so those can be used.

the thing is, I don't feel like making those kind of award for previous years would be as interesting as no one is interested in searching for old infos and I think this has to be one in the moment, when the year wraps up

Just add a finale category to make it 10 awards : I have split "biggest death" into "biggest female death" and "biggest male death" to look more like Oscar, Cesar or others… and also to add a little suspense because her majesty the queen ruins it all :angry:

15 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I understand that it's in the busiest period of the year but I doubt postponing it at the end of january would change anything : I don't think anyone who could appear on any category would be announced death one month (or more) after the closing of the poll. Plus, it doesn't have any sense to have an "2022 award" thing one month after the end of the year does it ? Furthermore, "most promising one" category would be quite distorted... 

if everyone wants to postpone it at the end of january then we can do like that but I really think it's easier closing the thing on the 2nd at midnight. It's not like you need to have a full list of people, just a few categories and a lot of them can already be completed (we're not waiting someone who could top her majesty in december for example). 

Feel free to send a primary list when you want and to correct it in late late december or early january (I will post a reminder here) if a recent death comes to mind :) 

It's just a really busy time for most people.  Things go a bit flat once January gets under way and people are often glad of something to do.  You'd probably get more entries.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I have split "biggest death" into "biggest female death" and "biggest male death" to look more like Oscar, Cesar or others

can-of-worms.jpg.8b6293a5798a39106fedfdf3acb03ba3.jpg

• Like 1