Sign in to follow this  
Lafaucheuse

In Memoriam Award 2022

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's just a really busy time for most people.  Things go a bit flat once January gets under way and people are often glad of something to do.  You'd probably get more entries.

True but I’m gonna stick to my guts for this time. Hopefully it works well and if not, then I’ll make some changes for next year ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

nevermind get it (i think..)

Gender-neutral awards are all the rage now. 

• Haha 1

Biggest female death: Queen Elizabeth 2

Biggest male death: Kevin Conroy 

Shocking: A number of good contenders here. I dunno Anne Heche I guess.

Saddest: Kevin Conroy. Huge batman fan

Best received: Jiang Zemin

Most awaited: Olivia Newton John. Knocking on deaths door for over 5 years.

Biggest survivor: Definitely Pele if he makes it to 2023. My other alternative would be Joanne Woodward.

Biggest miss: Olivia Newton John. Hands down

Most promising: Ruth Buzzi. 

50 spot: Ayatollah Ali Khomeini. Given everything that's happened in Iran this year he seems topical and has had health woes for years now.

On 28/11/2022 at 13:31, Lafaucheuse said:

whoever wants can vote by PM for the person who deserves to win in each category below explained.

54 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Biggest female death: Queen Elizabeth 2

Biggest male death: Kevin Conroy 

Shocking: A number of good contenders here. I dunno Anne Heche I guess.

Saddest: Kevin Conroy. Huge batman fan

Best received: Jiang Zemin

Most awaited: Olivia Newton John. Knocking on deaths door for over 5 years.

Biggest survivor: Definitely Pele if he makes it to 2023. My other alternative would be Joanne Woodward.

Biggest miss: Olivia Newton John. Hands down

Most promising: Ruth Buzzi. 

50 spot: Ayatollah Ali Khomeini. Given everything that's happened in Iran this year he seems topical and has had health woes for years now.

It's supposed to be by PM - if we all vote publicly then it kind of spoils the Awards Ceremony :D

• Like 1

Not yet ready to delve too deeply into creating a list but "most shocking" and "saddest" certainly go to comedians (imho, at least).

Most shocking (by far): Bob Saget

Saddest: Gilbert Gottfried

Both deaths came as a shock, honestly... especially considering that Artie Lange has somehow outlived both them and Norm

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Not yet ready to delve too deeply into creating a list but "most shocking" and "saddest" certainly go to comedians (imho, at least).

Both deaths came as a shock, honestly... especially considering that Artie Lange has somehow outlived both them and Norm

If we're actually able to canvas on this thread then Shane Warne would be hard to look beyond for most shocking (if most shocking is the death you heard about and couldn't digest).

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

If we're actually able to canvas on this thread then Shane Warne would be hard to look beyond for most shocking (if most shocking is the death you heard about and couldn't digest).

"Most shocking"? Really?! I remember the first thing my mate (who is a mad cricket fan) said to me was "Well I wasn't shocked mate. He's been off the wall for ages, boozing, chain smoking, was really heavy".

A quick search online reveals he had a pattern of destructive behaviour and people had tried to intervene at points to save him.

29 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I'd be shocked people knew the name.

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I'd be shocked people knew the name.

1461DBEB-6E27-426D-A873-0AC1EBE022DB.jpeg.0fbb6c904da7ecb4958be222d12258af.jpeg

I knew who Shane Warne was. I saw him on hair transplant adverts.

I probably won’t be voting but seeing as people are doing a modicum of canvassing, the best received has to be Mrs Queen doesn’t it? As sad as her death was, the laughter that came with it got us through the mourning (or the exhaustingly obsessive coverage, depending on your point of view) - taking the piss out of The Queue inc Phil & Holly, the memes, the gallows humour of Twitter. We stay funny in tragic times and that’s definitely well received.

4 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I agree with Saget. Also people were asking me for weeks about how he died as I'm a huge Full House fan, so that also created an impact on me.
The photos of all of them with Louie and Norm were eerie.

• Like 1

I've just voted. Best received death at chez time was Russell Bishop, no contest. The other categories (well, most of them) required too much thought to say categorically 'X' is the vote, so generally went with first name that I found on the list of the dead (but this did bias it towards the latter part of the year, so Bob Saget stood no chance).

many teams already received, some new ones have come in the last few days. Don"t forget that you can change any of your votes until the 2nd of january. 

• Like 1

I have now sent my picks. Thanks for doing this.

• Like 1

I’ll let you until tomorrow to submit your team by pm or to change them. The results will be published before the end of the week :) 

• Thanks 1

Ladies and Gentlemen… 

! Here are the results of the first ever In Memoriam Award Ceremony ! 

Biggest Female Death

92832112_B9729595628Z.1_20220111132938_000GOUJM1K1L.1-0.jpg.143d109238914e12e4208e96e4b7f857.jpg

Of course, her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second collected all the votes. Not a single other woman was nominated ! An evident choice. 

Biggest Male Death

160527131020-gorbachev-1.thumb.jpg.62d69c5cd00f87849f333795c1e28f0f.jpg

Here again, Gorbachev, last president of the USSR, received a vast majority of votes. Worth noting that Pelé and Robbie Coltrane were nominated with one vote each.

Most Socking One

shinzo-abe-lors-de-l-annonce-de-sa-demission-en-2020-photo-sipa-ap-kaname-yoneyama-1657263225.thumb.jpg.c32c8c6c0bcbfb452f3342b72693434b.jpg

Now this was a category with very split votes. Shinzo Abe is, however, the winner here with only 7 votes. Kirsti Alley and Shane Warne are tying for the 2nd place. Christine McVie, Coolio, Irene Cara, Bob Saget or Leslie Jordans were also considered with one vote each.

The Saddest One

__thumbnail-post-379273-dcs-de-bernard-cribbins--93-ans-justabouttv.thumb.jpg.2206ecdf49487b5f81e7521b4b6a5de3.jpgolivia-newton-john.thumb.jpg.8890f639cbdf6c9f51dd366080619f9d.jpg

Well, it's a tie ! Olivia Newton John and Bernard Cribbins both received 3 votes. A very split category. Honorable mentions : Sidney Poitier, QEII, Deborah James, Loretta Lynn, Tom Parker… 

The Best Received One 

0_PETER-TOBIN-May-2007.thumb.jpg.d51d4d111f35d9eb1a829c625b1c4c0d.jpg

The most infamous death this year was attributed to Peter Tobin with 6 votes. Robert Durst was a close second with 5 votes. Also nominated in this category Vladimir Zhirinovsky, Russell Bishop, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Margot Eskens, Jerry Lee Lewis and somehow, her majesty the queen… 

The Most Awaited One 

casanova_73_henry.jpg.3e73d63727c8058a2913c081b53e0d60.jpg

Here, the votes were quite unanime. Leslie Phillips is the winner of the most awaited death of 2022 with 12 votes. Meatloaf, Tom Smith, QEII, Peter Tobin and Satya Mohan Joshi were mentioned once.  

The Biggest Survivor 

_121185144_frank_field_mp_pa.jpg.3ee2d672f08d4488b7e80116a5fe16c0.jpg

282087-5x3-topteaser1260x756.thumb.jpg.8d897163855d283a9fadfe2c1db766d3.jpg

Another tie in this category with 4 votes each for Kissinger and Field. Deathlist favorites have been considered the biggest survivor of the year. Will they also survive 2023 ? Let's see… 

Violetta Chamorro got two votes and several lingerers such as Carter, Barker and Whale got 1. 

The Biggest Miss

20719348lpw-20719477-article-benoit-xvi-religion-vatican-jpg_7326365_1250x625.thumb.jpg.8683568a7ba7d64061a61571b7dc8e31.jpg

With the very late passing of Pope Benedict, a lot of you changed your votes from Olivia Newton John or Nichell Nichols to Bennie. He then wins this category with more than 10 votes. Worth noting that Meatloaf, Madeleine Albright and Bernard Cribbins were mentionned once each. 

The Most Promising One 

_75947453_fwbrkg9a.jpg.833194a74fc264631f4910e55861782e.jpg

Well, Rolf Harris wins this category with a quick advantage on Constantine II and Jonnie Irwin. Let's see if this promise turns out to be successful. 

The 50 spot

Putin-Vladivostok.jpg.716d88cc2e01bac099b17a9d25c7377c.jpg

And finally, you chose Putin to be the n°50 spot. Rolf Harris, Ozzy Osbourne were just behind him and Hazal McCallion, Andy Taylor or Liza Minelli (among others) received one vote each. 

Well, that's all for this year folks, see you in early 2024 for the next In Memoriam Award of 2023.

Thanks for your participation ! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7