Dick Van Dyke

Milos Zeman

Subs:

Alan Greenspan

Tony Bennett

Shane MacGowan

Prunella Scales

Buzz Aldrin

FOR FUCK SAKE! I SAID APHABETICAL ORDER. ITS NOT THAT FUCKING HARD - A, then B, then C etc.

Thanks for the entry Unknown Man. As Pele couldn't keep it up for long enough to start the action, Alan Greenspan moves up. As the first name on your (non-alphabetical) list, George Alagiah becomes your Joker by default. Which is quite frankly more than you deserve. 

Just now, An Fear Beag said:

FOR FUCK SAKE! I SAID APHABETICAL ORDER. ITS NOT THAT FUCKING HARD - A, then B, then C etc.

Thanks for the entry Unknown Man. As Pele couldn't keep it up for long enough to start the action, Alan Greenspan moves up. As the first name on your (non-alphabetical) list, George Alagiah becomes your Joker by default. Which is quite frankly more than you deserve. 

Tbf, it is alphabetical, just by last name rather than first names

• Like 3

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Tbf, it is alphabetical, just by last name rather than first names

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

Whoops, I thought it said last name too. When can I expect my lashing :ninja:

On 23/12/2022 at 11:21, TQR said:

Andy Taylor

Bobby Charlton

Dennis Skinner

Douglas Hurd

Eileen Derbyshire

George Alagiah

Janey Godley

Jimmy Carter

Joanne Woodward

Jonnie Irwin

Katie Keltie

Linda Nolan

Liza Minnelli

Malcolm Hebden

Michael Parkinson

Nigel Lawson

Norman Tebbit

Pete Murray

Pope Benedict XVI (DNS)

Rhod Gilbert

Rob Burrow

Roberta Flack (JOKER)

Shannen Doherty

Tony Bennett

SUBS:

Harry Belafonte (IN PLAY)

Mohamed al-Fayed

Prunella Scales

Robert Wagner

Tina Turner

Another one who could do with numbers on their list (but not if using @Sean's numbering system.

Mohamed Al-Fayed moves up to make a team of 25.

2 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

RTFR

Fair point, but this is, afaik, the only pool that asks for alphabetical order by first name so we are kind of programmed to put them in order by surname.

10 hours ago, Toast said:

Fair point, but this is, afaik, the only pool that asks for alphabetical order by first name so we are kind of programmed to put them in order by surname.

That may well be true, but what you must remember is that I am right, and everyone else in the entire world is wrong!:biggrin:

That is important. Don't forget it!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, tracy said:

Whoops, I thought it said last name too. When can I expect my lashing :ninja:

Listen here, this is a clean, family site, dedicated to sickness and death.

If you want any of that kinky shit, there are plenty of other sites out there ;)

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2022 at 06:07, WhoamI said:

Here is my list from a beautiful day here Downunder.

Agnes Keleti

Andy Taylor

Bam Margera

Eric Tweedale

Glynis Johns

Henry Kissinger

Iris Apfel - U.S. Fashion (Joker)

Janis Paige

Jimmy Carter

Joanne Woodward

Joyce Randolph (In place of Pope)

Józef Hen (Polish Writer)                                            

June Lockhart

Kenneth "Ken" Alan Archer

Normal Lear

Patricia Routledge

Pope Benedict XVI  Died 31 Dec 2022

Ted Kaczynski

Than Shwe

Thelma McKenzie (Aussie woman cricketer)

Yuriko, Princess Mikasa

Reserves:

Stella Stevens

Ethel Skakel Kennedy

Isabel Peron

Pete Murray (British DJ)

Ray Lawer

Good luck to all.

Christ on a fucking bike, WhoamI. You've been playing this pool literally from Day 1, and still Rule 1.1 eludes you:

1) Your Team

1. All teams must contain 25 people

All 5 subs move up to the main team, and you can count yourself lucky that I guessed you meant Ray Lawler.

(But thanks for playing again and best of luck, from a cold, wet and miserable Ireland).

• Like 1

An early hit, ok, but a hit!

Ágnes Keleti

Barry Humphries   17.02.1934 - 22.04.2023

Bibi Johns

Bill Cosby

Burt Bacharach   12.05.1928 - 08.02.2023

Christiane F.

Earl Holliman

Edward, Duke of Kent

Estelle Parsons

Frances Sternhagen   13.01.1930 - 27.11.2023

Gina Lollobrigida    04.07.1927 – 16.01.2023

Horst Mahler

Inga Swenson  29.12.1932 - 23.07.2023

Iris Apfel

Isabel Perón

Jimmy Carter

Margot Leonard  02.10.1927 - 03.09.2014  <_<

Maria Riva  (Joker)

Maria Sebaldt   26.04.1930 - 04.04.2023

Peter Weck

Roger Corman

Rolf Schimpf

Rupert Murdoch

Valentino Garavani

Vic Seixas

5 hours ago, Book said:

Gina Lollobrigida    04.07.1927 – 16.01.2023

metoo

On 14/01/2023 at 19:20, An Fear Beag said:

Christ on a fucking bike, WhoamI. You've been playing this pool literally from Day 1, and still Rule 1.1 eludes you:

1) Your Team

1. All teams must contain 25 people

All 5 subs move up to the main team, and you can count yourself lucky that I guessed you meant Ray Lawler.

(But thanks for playing again and best of luck, from a cold, wet and miserable Ireland).

You're a good man, despite what others say!!!! Thanks mate. 

BOLLOCKS

I finally had it all sorted. Spreadsheets done. Masterlist posted on page 1. Write-up on the picks all finished. Everything ready to post. Just 1 final check ....

and then I realised I had completely missed the team from @time

and I say again, BOLLOCKS

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

BOLLOCKS

I finally had it all sorted. Spreadsheets done. Masterlist posted on page 1. Write-up on the picks all finished. Everything ready to post. Just 1 final check ....

and then I realised I had completely missed the team from @time

and I say again, BOLLOCKS

BOLLOCKS is a fair description of my entry too.

7 hours ago, time said:

BOLLOCKS is a fair description of my entry too.

It was certainly an interesting mix of names, full of people in their 80s with no known (to me at least) health issues. A bold strategy indeed, but will it prove to be a successful one?

Gordon Lee (Football Manager) has failed to make the starting line. In fact he never made it anywhere near the stadium, as he died in March 2022!

His place is taken by fellow manager Jimmy Melia.

Best of luck

Finally, we are in business. The list of players and pick masterlist is up on page 1, and the list of teams will follow later today.

Apologies for the slight delay in getting everything organised. Like a teenager who invites a few friends over for a party and is then surprised when 200 drunken strangers invade his house, I was a little overwhelmed by the number of teams, and picks that needed checking. But now we are ready to play, so sit back and have fun. Just don’t break the furniture, snort Granny’s ashes, or shag someone in my parents’ bed!

In total, we have 56 57 players on board, and increase of 10 11 on last year’s record total. 12 13 new players, who are warmly welcomed, although I seem to have frightened off Clarence with my rudeness before the start :lol:. Two welcome returnees to the game after a year’s absence in @Etushispushingupdaisiesand @Grim Up North. And we had an excellent retention rate, with only 4 non-returners: @Doulton who I know nothing about, Predictor who retired from deadpooling after a personal loss, Deathray who was sadly forced into retirement, and @Kenny who was incapacitated by a couple of viruses he managed to pick up somewhere. The filthy bugger.

In total, there were 717 different valid picks, and the need to check up on the status of all of them was a large contributory factor to the delay in the game. Of those, 534 were unique picks showing yet again that this pool is a dumping ground for those weird and wonderful picks that deadpoolers cannot find anywhere else for. Happy to have them here, but please, please, please keep a watch on them yourself and let me know if any of them go toes up. I generally do a full google search of the picks every quarter – after that it is up to yourselves.

In common with most other pools, it was absolute carnage before the start with pre-game deaths wreaking havoc on teams. The following selections did not manage to make the starting line:

Alexander Ponomarenko (Comedian)

Anita Pointer

Barbara Walters

Don West

Gordon Lee

Jeremiah Green

Kaikala Satyanarayana

Pele

Pope Benedict XVI

Sandra Weir (who would have been disqualified)

Subroto

All teams had enough subs to move up, so no team was left short on account of premature deaths. One player who will start with 24 picks is @Charles De Gaulle who selected James Earl Jones twice, and had no subs. They had been warned about the lack of subs in a PM before the game, so they get no leniency.

The “Who the fuck are they” award should be renamed “The CHEL Award” this year. @chel team was top heavy (and indeed middle and bottom heavy) with Russian scientists and “Academicians”, and if anyone has a suggestion as to how to judge the fame of those, then I am all ears. My initial thought was to disqualify them all, as all seemed to be just scientists writing scientific papers. However, I had two issues with that. Firstly, other scientists have been allowed into pools, largely based on their scientific careers. Mark Stokes is a case in point – allowed in the DDP, despite being “just” a scientist. In this pool, I have allowed scientists Brenda Millner and David J. Linden. Are those Russian scientists as “famous” in Russia as Millner and Linden are in the UK and US? Who the fuck knows! Secondly, if I disbarred all of Chel's Academicians, they would end up with a team of about 18 picks! So in the end, I moved up any of the subs who had “normal” fame like actors and writers, and filled the remaining spaces on the team with who I judged to be the slightly more prominent of his scientists.

As a result, THE CHEL (WTFAT?) AWARD, is given jointly to:

Dosmukhamed Kshibekov – Kazakh Geologist

Vladamir (VV) Boldyrev – Siberian Chemist

Yuri Kirilliovich Tolstoy – Russian Law Professor

And if you think those guys are obscure, remember they are the most famous ones- look down for a list of those I rejected!

The list of rejected picks (also known as the WEP File) has grown from 3 last year to a whopping 11 this year, boosted by the “No Criminals” rule, and the aforementioned Chel. They were as following:

Carolyn Bryant-Donham (GCREPTILE/HELL/DEATHBECOMESTHEM) – A victim of the “No Criminals” rule, even though she is not actually a criminal. However her “fame” is down to a criminal act, so that’s good enough for me.

John Cannon (ETUSH/BUFFALO PHIL) – Famous for being a criminal. A relatively famous criminal admittedly, but my wife never heard of him, so he is out.

Gloria Deukmejian (WHEN THE) – Family of the Famous. Widow of former California governor George Deukmejian. We do generally accept First Ladys of countries (e.g.Naina Yeltsin), but I have drawn the line at anything below nation level. Admittedly California is a pretty big place, bigger than most countries, but the line had to be drawn somewhere, and that’s where it is.

Nadia Seipel (WEP) – Cancer sufferer with a book.

Olivier Vandecasteele (WEP) – Victim of dodgy arrest in Iran. Like that is an achievement:rolleyes:

Eric Coulam (WEP) – Canadian nobody planning assisted suicide. To be fair, @WEP sheepishly tried to withdraw this pick, so I feel slightly bad about highlighting it. But only very slightly. - you all know the rule - DON’T PICK THEM.:angry:

And then there is Chels list. If anyone wants to google these guys and tell me I was harsh, then go ahead. Just don’t try and persuade me that the soil scientists should have been allowed. As far as I am concerned, they are just gardeners with ideas above their station.

Alexander Protasov (CHEL) - Russian Hydrobiologist

Dmitriy Kharkevich (CHEL) - Scientist ?Genetics

Farit Garifulin (CHEL) – Russian(?) Soil Scientist

Iya Zaboeva (CHEL) – Russian Soil Scientist

Radim Gorecki (Garetsky) (CHEL) Belarussian Geologist-Tectonist.

The one name that I allowed against my better judgement was Natalie Fornasier, who is essentially famous for her cancer. However, she is generally referred to as a writer, and seems to have written some articles and blogs on beauty matters. Admittedly the subject of the articles may have been “How to look beautiful while dying of cancer”, but I think she has just about done enough to sneak in here. I mainly accepted her in the hope of seeing @Salmon Mousse's head explode if she pegs it, and in Diane Berberian fashion, not even her friends care enough to post an obit about her.

So, on with the game, and best of luck to everyone, not least the poor buggers who are among the 717 names picked!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

It was certainly an interesting mix of names, full of people in their 80s with no known (to me at least) health issues. A bold strategy indeed, but will it prove to be a successful one?

Gordon Lee (Football Manager) has failed to make the starting line. In fact he never made it anywhere near the stadium, as he died in March 2022!

His place is taken by fellow manager Jimmy Melia.

Best of luck

Thanks @An Fear Beag Mea culpa - I see now Gordon Lee (RIP) was only a sub in my previous team, and I didn't check those. Sorry about the extra extra work! My strategy is that even people with no known health issues die eventually.

14 minutes ago, time said:

My strategy is that even people with no known health issues die eventually.

Punt Pool begs to differ.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

The one name that I allowed against my better judgement was Natalie Fornasier, who is essentially famous for her cancer. However, she is generally referred to as a writer, and seems to have written some articles and blogs on beauty matters. Admittedly the subject of the articles may have been “How to look beautiful while dying of cancer”, but I think she has just about done enough to sneak in here. I mainly accepted her in the hope of seeing @Salmon Mousse's head explode if she pegs it, and in Diane Berberian fashion, not even her friends care enough to post an obit about her.

Still a bit perplexed by Diane, admittedly.

Well, in an effort to once again blow my wad way too early, I've already had my third hit: comedian Michael Lehrer at 44

Joins McGarvey and Vialli.

Also noticed I forgot to designate a joker in my team submission PM.  I assume this means the first name I listed is taken as joker?

16 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Well, in an effort to once again blow my wad way too early, I've already had my third hit: comedian Michael Lehrer at 44

Joins McGarvey and Vialli.

Also noticed I forgot to designate a joker in my team submission PM.  I assume this means the first name I listed is taken as joker?

I think you are finally losing the plot! 

You PM’d me shortly after you submitted your team to tell me you had forgotten to nominate a Joker, and to select Jeanette Lee. 

Ring any bells? 

7 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I think you are finally losing the plot! 

You PM’d me shortly after you submitted your team to tell me you had forgotten to nominate a Joker, and to select Jeanette Lee. 

Ring any bells? 

Only now that you mention it.  Perhaps I need to start sleeping.  I imagine my brain might work better on rest.

• Like 1

A few quick bits of housekeeping, before I get around to a score update.

For anyone who is interested, ZZZ- Boring Predicable Team, the team of most popular picks (and last years honorary winner)  is as follows:

Andy Taylor (22 Picks)

Bob Barker (13 Picks)

Francoise Hardy (11 Picks)

Frank Field (17 Picks)

George Alagiah (25 Picks)

Gianluca Vialli (17 Picks)

Henry Kissinger (11 Picks)

James Whale (13 Picks)

Janey Godley (9 Picks)

Jimmy Carter (27 Picks)

Joanne Woodward (10 Picks)

Johnny Ruffo (9 Picks)

Jonnie Irwin (23 Picks)

June Spencer (10 Picks)

Kate Keltie (10 Picks)

Linda Nolan (12 Picks)

Nigel Starmer-Smith (10 Picks)

Randy Jackson (11 Picks)

Rhod Gilbert (11 Picks)

Rob Burrow (16 Picks)

Roberta Flack (JOKER) (28 Picks)

RoIf Harris (17 Picks)

Shannen Doherty (9 Picks)

Steve McMichael (13 Picks)

Tony Bennett  (10 Picks)

Of absolutely no interest to anyone is the fact that after noticing a few duplicates in the masterlist, the number of different picks is reduced down to 714, of which 528 are unique picks!

And finally, I note that @WhoamI selected Aussie cricketer Thelma McKenzie. General consensus is that she is long dead, and as there is no statute of limitations in this game, a sub should move up. However as WhoamI only submitted 20 names and used all 5 subs to make a team, they effectively start with 24 players.

• Like 1