An Fear Beag

HARE'S DEATH POOL 2023

It seems that while I got busy living, a lot of picks got busy dying. This is what I have - if some other obscure picks have escaped my attention,, please be a dear and let me know. 

1st January: Frank McGarvey

4th January: Fay Weldon

6th January: Gianluca Vialli

8th January: Bernard Kalb

9th January: William Consovoy

10th January: King Constantine II

11th January: Carole Cook

11th January: Rafiq Nishonov

11th January Shimon Baadani

14th January: Natalie Fornasier

16th January: Gina Lollobrigida

17th January: Lucille Randon

17th January: Michael Lehrer

18th January: David Crosby

29th January: Hazel McCallion

1st February:  Leonard Pietraszak

5th February: Pervez Musharraf

5th February: Hsing Yun

Firstly lets all pause to have our traditional laugh at those players who bagged a January 1st hit, thus scoring nul points. @Grim Up North @The Old Crem @RadGuy @Salmon Mousse and @wannamaker all selected Frank McGarvey, who made it to the starting gun , then tripped over his laces in the first strides, landed on his arse,  and out of the race. Grim, Old Crem and Salmon had all done a football double, so Gianluca Vialli's demise on 6th January left them all 2 down with only 5 on the board, if I can mix my sports a little.

Vialli was the biggest hit so far, somehow making it onto 17 teams, despite being in hospital in the end-stages of pancreatic cancer a week before the pool started. You do know how this pool works, right? At least I had the excuse of having to submit my team early, before the bad news hit, and all of his family came to say their final goodbyes!

Salmon Mousse has continued with last years tactic of getting the hits in early, not generally a successful strategy in this game! They are now 4 down, with ultra-marginal pick Natalie Fornasier proving only marginally more successful than Diane Berbarian last year. Still, at least someone noticed she had died, which is nice. 

36 players have entered the race properly, with 20 still limbering up in the changing rooms. 

Only one player has played their Joker early, with Hazel McCallion providing @Dying Probably with an unwanted early hit. The 56 points lands them in an early lead, followed by three others who have racked up a few early strikes. The top 10 is as follows, full scoreboard is on page 1.

Dying Probably (56 points) 1 hit

[Hazel McCallion*]

Drol (50 points) 3 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Pervez Musharraf, Shimon Baadani]

Buffalo Phil (49 points) 3 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Hazel McCallion, Lucille Randon]

Wannamaker (44 points) 3 hits

[Frank McGarvey, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf]

Captain Chorizo (35 points) 1 hit

[Pervez Musharraf]

JoeMoneypenny (35 points) 1 hit

[Hsing Yun]

Yorkshire Banker (35 points) 1 hit

[Hsing Yun]

Salmon Mousse (34 points) 4 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Gianluca Vialli, Michael Lehrer, Natalie Fornasier]

Joey Russ (33 points) 2 hits

[David Crosby, Lucille Randon]

BabyBlue (31 points) 1 hit

[Leonard Pietraszak]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (31 points) 2 hits

[Gina Lollobrigida, Lucille Randon]

• Like 7

I chose Felix Sienra here 

• Thanks 1

My joker Ivan Silayev has died. A bit too early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, arghton said:

My joker Ivan Silayev has died. A bit too early. 

Look on the bright side - you are currently in the lead. If no-one else dies for the rest of the year, you will be champion.

(Putting a reminder here to myself for the next update that Burt Bacharach was a  hit for 3 teams)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, When The said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Thanks also for indirectly pointing out that Miiko Taka had died (on January 4th), since @tracycouldn't be arsed to keep an eye on their own team and tell me when one of them snuffed it:angry:

Hey I would have if she ever got a confirmed death date outside of an IP edit on Wikipedia <_<

10 hours ago, tracy said:

Hey I would have if she ever got a confirmed death date outside of an IP edit on Wikipedia <_<

Don't you "Hey" me. Simple request - just tell me if they croak  it, and I'll look after it from there.:angry:

But thanks for letting me know that there was no official date of death. I glanced at the Wikipedia page, saw that the Hollywood Reporter mentioned her death, and gave you the princely sum of 3 points for a January 4th death.

Now that you have pointed out that we don't know the exact date of death, Rule 3(1)(b), the "Leah Bracknell" rule, applies. Her date of death for the purpose of this pool is taken as January 1st, and you get zero points. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Don't you "Hey" me. Simple request - just tell me if they croak  it, and I'll look after it from there.:angry:

Oh, well that reminds me. I had Ted Lerner!

Time for an update I reckon. Things have been a little slow of late, and what better way to stimulate a few hits than to post up an update to the scoreboard.

The following deaths have been noted since the last update - if I have missed any, please let me know. 

1st January: Miiko Taka

30th January: Felix Sienra

6th February: Greta Anderson

8th February: Burt Bacharach

8th February: Ivan Silayev

8th February: Miroslav "Ciro" Blasevic

12th February: Billy Two-Rivers

12th February: Ted Lerner

15th February: Raquel Welch

16th February: Tim Lobinger

18th February: Jim Broyhill

22nd February: Augie Nieto

So @arghtongets a chance to see their name on top of the leaderboard, with a Joker hit of Ivan Silayev and a Tim Lobinger hit putting them top of the podium with 4 hits. That shouldn't last for too long, but lets allow them to enjoy their day in the sun, before the chasing back hunt them down.

@WEPscored a quick double with their first hits of the year  to lift hem up into second, with Captain Chorizo making up an early top-3.

@LizLemon, @Gooseberry Crumbleand @When Theall  join the race having sat out the first lap

@tracy loses out on a potentially vital 3 points due to Miiko Taka's family's strange reluctance to say when the hell she actually died. Should a definite date of death emerge later in the year, points will be awarded. If it turns out that she died in late 2022, a sub will be allowed.

@RadGuygets a first scoring hit to join their FrankMcGarvey duck-egg, to leave 17 players still sitting it out on the sidelines.

Here is the top-10. The full scoreboard is on Page 1.

Arghton (137 points) 4 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger)

WEP (98 points) 2 hits

[Augie Nieto, Tim Lobinger]

Captain Chorizo (77 points) 2 hits

[Billy Two-Rivers, Pervez Musharraf]

BabyBlue (67 points) 2 hits

[Greta Anderson, Leonard Pietraszak]

Dying Probably (56 points) 1 hit

[Hazel McCallion*]

Im Not Hades (55 points) 2 hits

[David Crosby, Miroslav Blasevic]

Book (53 points) 2 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Gina Lollobrigida]

Drol (50 points) 3 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Pervez Musharraf, Shimon Baadani]

Buffalo Phil (49 points) 3 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Hazel McCallion, Lucille Randon]

Gcreptile (46 points) 2 hits

[Burt Bacharach, William Consovoy]

The RadGuy (46 points) 2 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Tim Lobinger]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoeMoneypenny said:

@An Fear Beag

My pick Teh Hong Piow died Dec 12 after I had picked my 2023 team

Can he be replaced by backup Patrick Tse

I'm not sure how I missed that one, considering it seems to have been widely reported at the time. I think I must have checked over your team as soon as you submitted it, and so missed the death the following day. Now I know why I never try to be efficient!

No statute of limitations on subs in this pool - Patrick Tse moves up from the subs bench. 

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Duly noted.

I see you have mentioned elsewhere that Steve Woodmore likely died earlier this month. A pick for you and 2 others in this pool if some sort of an obit emerges.

And if you can find a QO for him for the Death by Numbers pool, that would be even better ;)

• Like 1

Just Fontaine scores for me.

• Thanks 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/08/movies/bert-gordon-dead.html

American mutant monster movie film director Bert I. Gordon, according to my local text file, is my Joker in the 2023 HARE'S DEATH POOL and, according to the New York Times, died on Wednesday, 8 March 2023, so, according to the rules, merits me a B.I.G. 132 points.

[grabs popcorn and watches trailers of coming attractions]

• Thanks 1

Update time again folks.

Firstly I have come across two hits from consecutive days at the beginning of February, which had not been brought to my attention:

2nd February: Jean-Pierre Jabouille

3rd February: Juan Velarde Fuertes

Both unique hits for @GuyFromFuturewho picks up some points, but also a place on the naughty step.

Since the last update, we have had the following hits:

25th February: Gordon Pinsent

2th February: Mihai Sora

26th February: Betty Boothroyd

28th February: Grant Turner

1st March: Just Fontaine

8th March: Bert I. Gordon

8th March: Chaim Topol

@Torva Messor's Joker hit of Bert I Gordon is enough to leap them into first place, narrowly ahead of GuyFromFuture who also neglected to mention that their hit Gordon Pinsent had died :angry:. Arghton's brief reign at the top has come to an end with them dropping down to third.

Here is the top 5 - full scoreboard is on Page 1.

Torva Messor (149 points) 3 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook]

Guy From Future (148 points) 4 hits

[Gordon Pinsent, Hazel McCallion, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Juan Velarde Fuertes]

Arghton (137 points) 4 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger)

Dying Probably (112 points) 2 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Hazel McCallion*]

CalebH (110 points) 1 hit

[Mihai Sora*]

I will be doing a quarterly trawl of all picks at the end of the month - however it would really speed that along if people would check their own teams and notify me of any missed hits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Otis Taylor is hit number five for me that should bounce me back to the first place. They are still dying too early. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 17:25, arghton said:

Otis Taylor is hit number five for me that should bounce me back to the first place. They are still dying too early. 

Yeah, generally not a great idea to be using up your picks so early. Still, as a consolation, have a look at yourself on top of the leaderboard again :D

Arghton (204 points) 5 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger)

Torva Messor (149 points) 3 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook]

Guy From Future (148 points) 4 hits

[Gordon Pinsent, Hazel McCallion, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Juan Velarde Fuertes]

Dying Probably (112 points) 2 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Hazel McCallion*]

CalebH (110 points) 1 hit

[Mihai Sora*]

• Like 2