An Fear Beag

HARE'S DEATH POOL 2023

19 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

@John Keygets a first hit of the game with Harris, to finally enter the race properly

Disappointing year for me, good to be reminded of my failure, but also my success :D 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 12:25, An Fear Beag said:

It all seems to have gone very quiet around here. Unless of course a whole heap of obscure picks have carked it, but you scamps have not informed me! I will be doing my quarterly google search of all the names at the end of the month, but in the meantime please be a dear and check you own teams. 

Emlain Kabua who died in April would've been a hit for me, but seems she never got an obituary of any kind despite having designed her country's flag, being the widow of the founding president and the mother of the incumbent president. Damn you, Marshall Islands Journal!

Albert Ndele (picked by When The) is also dead, died already on April 1st. Can't find if his death was mentioned here but he did get some death mentions.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Key said:

Disappointing year for me, good to be reminded of my failure, but also my success :D 

Far too early in the year to consider it disappointing in this pool - this pool only starts getting going in September. Last year, The Old Crem was in last place on 7th August, yet finished in 4th by the years end. At this time of year, disappointing is when you have racked up 6 or 7 hits for a mere 400-500 points!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, arghton said:

Emlain Kabua who died in April would've been a hit for me, but seems she never got an obituary of any kind despite having designed her country's flag, being the widow of the founding president and the mother of the incumbent president. Damn you, Marshall Islands Journal!

Now this is interesting! I think this might be a good time to invoke Rule 2.1:

"

"The Hare’s Pool has always been extremely lenient when it comes to accepting “obits” and that will be continued. Unlike other pools, a QO is not used as a barometer of fame – the weeding out process is carried out before the game begins.

Basically, anything that convinces the host that the person is actually dead will be accepted"

On her Wikipedia page, the 3rd reference is a link to a YouTube video, OF HER ACTUAL FUNERAL SERVICE, made by the Marshall IslandsTelecommunications Authority.

I think that's fairly convincing evidence that the woman is actually dead!

(Either that or you have really gone out of your way to make a convincing fake video in the hope of bagging the hundred-odd points on offer, in which case you frankly deserve the points!)

I will award you the points in the next update. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Françoise Gilot is a hit for me and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see that my Hare's Entry Noreen Nash died June 6. The Hollywood Reporter Obituary here

• Thanks 1

There seems to have been a little flurry of activity over the past week which has shaken up the leaderboard, so let's have an update. 

Firstly we have the two backdated deaths to note:

1st April: Albert Ndele

11th April: Emlain Kabua

And three more in the past week:

6th June: Francoise Gilot

6th June: Noreen Nash

11th June: Ted Kacsynski

And with that, @theoldladyascends from 3rd place to 1st. She currently leads by 2 hits,, but that will of course drop down to 1 in a few days time. She is 7 picks down to get to that score, but still has a Joker to play. @Torva Messorand @Wormfarmermake up the rest of the top-3, with 6 and 5 hits respectively, but both have played their Joker.

Meanwhile, current champion, and twice winner @Death Impendslurks ominously in 4th place with 5 down, and with the Joker still to play. I think we have all seen this show before!

Here is the top-10. Full Scoreboard on Page 1. Let me know if I've missed anyone. You all know the drill by now!

The Old Lady (751 points) 7 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Francoise Gilot, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Tina Turner]

Torva Messor (586 points) 6 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook, Francoise Gilot, Menahem Pressler, Noreen Nash]

Wormfarmer (553 points) 5 hits

[AL Jaffee*, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Gianluca Vialli, Ted Kaczynski]

Death Impends (514 points) 5 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Lucille Randon]

Buffalo Phil (507 points) 7 hits

[Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Gianluca Vialli, Guido Gorgatti, Hazel McCallion, Lucille Randon, Tim Keller]

Hell (446 points) 5 hits

[Chaim Topol, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

An Fear Beag (439 points) 6 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mary Quant, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

Thatcher (438 points) 4 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski]

Wannamaker (419 points) 6 hits

[Frank McGarvey, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

The Old Crem (322 points) 5 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also had Kaczynski but doesn't appear to be replicated on the front page leaderboard (not that I expect to challenge)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nantonian2013 said:

I also had Kaczynski but doesn't appear to be replicated on the front page leaderboard (not that I expect to challenge)

Mea culpa - oversight on my part. Thanks for letting me now.

You sneak into the top 10  on 381 points, and with as good a chance as anyone of mounting a challenge in the second half. Only 3 down and a joker still to play admittedly it's the seemingly immortal Frank Field, but he has to go eventually!)

• Like 1

My Hare's unique entry Max Morath, "Mr. Ragtine" and early television presenter, reportedly died 19 June 2023, at age 96 according to this newsroom-produced obituary by a Duluth, Minnesota, US newspaper

• Thanks 1

Here's potentially the most lazy-ass obit ever, a mention of Steve Woodmore, being described as "late" with a link to his Wikipedia page, in this article:

https://angioedemanews.com/columns/lessons-motormouth-moschitta-how-talk-your-doctor/

Edit: Maybe we can't even rule out that maybe the Daily Mail, or a similarly not-just-news-but-also-clickbait outfit mentions his passing in passing.

Edit2: If the obit counts, I guess I have to thank one of you for changing his Wikipedia page, which you possibly did because I mentioned his death on the forum ... so a very obit-by-myself kind of situation.

On 20/06/2023 at 16:06, gcreptile said:

Here's potentially the most lazy-ass obit ever, a mention of Steve Woodmore, being described as "late" with a link to his Wikipedia page, in this article:

https://angioedemanews.com/columns/lessons-motormouth-moschitta-how-talk-your-doctor/

Edit: Maybe we can't even rule out that maybe the Daily Mail, or a similarly not-just-news-but-also-clickbait outfit mentions his passing in passing.

Edit2: If the obit counts, I guess I have to thank one of you for changing his Wikipedia page, which you possibly did because I mentioned his death on the forum ... so a very obit-by-myself kind of situation.

I am going to have to think about this one a bit.

The obvious issue is that the Facebook page and Gazette mention which the Wikipedia page references are not enough, and this "obit" just links to the Wikipedia page, so by extension, it probably shouldn't count either. In addition, the "obit" makes no mention of the date of death, so again we are back to the Wikipedia page.

So my initial reaction is to say no on the grounds that we still do not really have a proper QO. On the other hand, he is almost certainly dead, which brings Rule 2.1 back into play. Most likely I will just stall in the hope that something better comes up and I don't actually have to make a decision!

• Like 2

Daniel N. Paul is a unique hit for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carmen Sevilla is a hit here for me and CalebH

• Thanks 1

Well, another hit for me. This time it's my joker pick, Horst-Dieter Hottges who died on June 22nd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have reached the half way point in the year. The shadow-boxing is over, and this pool can start to get moving. Time to have an update, so can all assess the health of our teams before the third quarter kicks into action.

Firstly, there were a few hits not noted in the last update:

30th April: Patricia Hamilton

30th April: Yyacheslav Zaitsev

8th June: Pat Robertson

In addition, the second half of June saw another cluster of hits:

15th June: Gordon McQueen

18th June: Teresa Taylor

19th June: Max Morath

20th June: Claude Sarraute

21st June: Winnie Taylor

22nd June: Horst-Dieter Hottges

23rd June: Frederic Forrest

27th June: Carmen Sevilla

27th June: Daniel N. Paul

29th June: Alan Arkin

29th June Angel Wagenstein

Unsurprisingly, that has shaken up the top-10 quite a bit. @Torva Messornow takes the lead with the Max Morath hit. @arghtonmoves back into the top 3 with a Sevilla/Ewing double - but are 8 first-half hits just too many to allow for a strong second half showing? @gcreptileand @nantonian2013move into strong positions ready to make their move, while @TheSpinosaurushas come from nowhere to enter the top 10.

At the bottom, @Famous6Evaand @TheKillingTimenotch their first hit of the game, to leave just 5 players lingering at the start line. Any chance you might like to join us @msc, @Bibliogryphon or @Pedro67?

This is the full scoreboard for those of you too lazy to go back to the first page. Let me know if I have missed any hits, and best of luck for the second half. 

Torva Messor (755 points) 7 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook, Francoise Gilot, Max Morath, Menahem Pressler, Noreen Nash]

[Betty Boothroyd, Francoise Gilot, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Tina Turner]

Arghton (652 points) 8 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Emlain Kabua, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

Gcreptile (579 points) 6 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Daniel N Paul, Frederic Forrest, Grant Turner, Menahem Pressler, William Consovoy]

Wormfarmer (553 points) 5 hits

[AL Jaffee*, Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Gianluca Vialli, Ted Kaczynski]

Nantonian (552 points) 4 hits

[Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski, Winnie Ewing]

Captain Chorizo (540 points) 5 hits

[Billy Two-Rivers, Pervez Musharraf, Siiri Ratnanen, Teresa Taylor, Winnie Ewing]

The Spinosaurus (532 points) 3 hits

[Alan Arkin, King Constantine, Horst-Dieter Hottges*]

Death Impends (514 points) 5 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Lucille Randon]

Buffalo Phil (507 points) 7 hits

[Ben Ferencs, Bill Butler, Gianluca Vialli, Guido Gorgatti, Hazel McCallion, Lucille Randon, Tim Keller]

Yorkshire Banker (478 points) 4 hits

[Dick Groat, Francoise Gilot, Hsing Yun, Winnie Ewing]

Salmon Mousse (468 points) 7 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Gianluca Vialli, Denny Crum, Michael Lehrer, Natalie Fornasier, Teresa Taylor, Tim Keller]

Toast (462 points) 7 hits

[Fay Weldon, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Hell (446 points) 5 hits

[Chaim Topol, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

An Fear Beag (439 points) 6 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Lucille Randon, Mary Quant, Nigel Lawson, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Keller]

Thatcher (438 points) 4 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski]

Wannamaker (419 points) 6 hits

[Frank McGarvey, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

CalebH (413 points) 3 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Mihai Sora*, Sonia Cervanes]

WEP (395 points) 4 hits

[Augie Nieto, Ralf Harris, Teresa Taylor, Tim Lobinger]

Sean (389 points) 4 hits

[Gina Lollobrigida, Gordon McQueen, Harry Belafonte, Nora Forster]

BabyBlue (369 points) 4 hits

[Greta Anderson, Guido Gorgatti, Horse-Dieter Hottges, Leonard Pietraszak]

Famous4Eva (358 points) 1 hit

[Angel Wagenstein*]

The Old Crem (322 points) 5 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Gianluca Vialli, Mary Quant, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

Dying Probably (318 points) 4 hits

[Betty Boothroyd, Harry Belafonte, Hazel McCallion*, Nigel Lawson]

WhoamI (310 points) 3 hits

[Ken Archer, Stella Stevens, Ted Kaczynski]

Etushispushingupdaisies (302 points) 3 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Teresa Taylor]

The Unknown Man (294 points) 3 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Joey Russ (279 points) 4 hits

[David Crosby, Lucille Randon, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

Im Not Hades (271 points) 4 hits

[David Crosby, Harry Belafonte, Mary Quant, Miroslav Blasevic]

Guy From Future (267 points) 5 hits

[Gordon Pinsent, Hazel McCallion, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Juan Velarde Fuertes, Patricia Hamilton]

Chel (264 points) 3 hits

[Jaak Lipso, Nikolai Dupak, Vyacheslav Zaitsev]

Book (257 points) 4 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Gina Lollobrigida, Harry Belafonte, Maria Sebaldt]

MariNisia (250 points) 3 hits

[Carole Cook, Don January, Harry Belafonte]

CharlesDeGaulle (242 points) 3 hits

[Chaim Topol, Rolf Harris, Stella Stevens]

YoungOne (230 points) 3 hits

[King Constantine, Nigel Lawson, Rolf Harris]

DeathBecomesThem (229 points) 3 hits

[Chaim Topol, Gianluca Vialli, Pat Robertson]

Lady Fiona (226 points) 2 hits

[Kenneth McAlpine, Rolf Harris]

Tracey (223 points) 4 hits

[AL Jaffee, Gordon Moore, Miiko Taka, Ted Lerner]

GrimUpNorth (220 points) 4 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto]

JoeMoneypenny (210 points) 3 hits

[Hsing Yun, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Wan Haifeng]

LizLemon (211 points) 2 hits

[Burt Bacharach, Frederic Forrest]

TQR (206 points) 2 hits

[Harry Belafonte, Nigel Lawson]

Drol (179 points) 4 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Pervez Musharraf, Rolf Harris, Shimon Baadani]

Diego (172 points) 4 hits

[Felix Sienra, Gianluca Vialli, King Constantine, Rolf Harris]

TheKillingTime (170 points) 1 hit

[Claude Sarraute]

WhenThe (138 points) 2 hits

[Albert Ndele, Jim Broyhill]

ZZZ - Boring Predictable Team (134 points) 2 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Rolf Harris]

The RadGuy (132 points) 3 hits

[Frank McGarvey, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Tim Lobinger]

John Key (129 points) 1 hit

[Rolf Harris]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (123 points) 3 hits

[Gina Lollobrigida, Lucille Randon, Nigel Lawson]

GooseberryCrumble (116 points) 2 hits

[Dick Fosbury, Raquel Welch]

Time (81 points) 1 hit

[Peter Shelley]

Etib80 (5 points) 1 hit

[Gianluca Vialli]

Bibliogryphon (0 points) 0 hit

ChckenCobra (0 points) 0 hit

Death By Arsenic (0 points) 0 hit

Msc (0 points) 0 hit

Pedro69 (0 points) 0 hit

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

My plan is for my team to all drop dead in the last week of December, giving me the win here, and causing meltdowns for the DDP and DL cmmes. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just had a review of my team. I deliberately went for those that I felt could last at least six months but I think I have been unlucky not to pick up a single hit.

I will be patient*

* and probably watch about half a dozen of them die in January 2024

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, msc said:

My plan is for my team to all drop dead in the last week of December, giving me the win here, and causing meltdowns for the DDP and DL cmmes. :D

I don't think that game runners could cope with that happening two years in a row - they still wake up at night with cold sweats, after dreaming of Pele and Pope Benedict. 

• Like 1

Time for a mini-update, as there would appear to have been some movement at the top of the leaderboard. Since the last update, the following picks have snuffed it.

6th July: Jimmy Weldon

6th July: Mutulu Shakur

11th July: Milan Kundera

One player had a double hit, with Weldon and Shakur, and so moves to the top of the leaderboard. Some newbie called @Death Impends - you may have heard of them. @Toast joins Arghton on highest number of hits, with their 8th hit, but still languishes in 4th place, while @Thatcherand @wannamakerboth enter the top 10. The top 7 is as follows, the full leaderboard is on page 1.

Death Impends (891 points) 7 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

Torva Messor (755 points) 7 hits

[Bernard Kalb, Bert I. Gordon*, Carole Cook, Francoise Gilot, Max Morath, Menahem Pressler, Noreen Nash]

Toast (653 points) 8 hits

[Fay Weldon, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Arghton (652 points) 8 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Emlain Kabua, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

Thatcher (629 points) 5 hits

[Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski]

Wannamaker (610 points) 7 hits

[Frank McGarvey, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

• Like 1

George Alagiah is a hit for me as well as Tony Bennett.

Only the two hits that I can see since the last update, but they are the two biggies of George Alagiah and Tony Bennett. Alagiah was the third most popular pick this year, with 25 players selecting him. Bennett was a lot less popular, but the 10 picks was enough to secure him a place on the ZZZ team of most popular picks. 

21st July: Tony Bennett

24th July: George Alagiah

None of the leading three players had selected either Alagiah or Bennett, which means that we have a new top 3. @Thatcher uses their double hit to become the first person to reach the 1000 points landmark and is the new leader. @WEP and @The Unknown Man both cashed in their Alagiah Jokers to climb into second and third respectively. @Lady_Fiona, @TQRand @Young One all scores a double hit to drag themselves out of the basement and into contention. In fact the popularity of the 2 picks means that there is plenty of bunching in the chasing pack, with 19 players within 2 hits (or a Joker hit) of the lead. All to play for!

@msc's cunning plan of having all of their picks die in December has come undone, as Bennett broke ranks to give them their first hit of the year. Only 4 players still to trouble the scorers now.

Here is the top 7 (everyone over 800 points). Check out the full scoreboard on page 1, and let me know if I have missed any obscure hits.

Thatcher (1034 points) 7 hits

[George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Gina Lollobrigida, Milan Kundera Rolf Harris*, Ted Kaczynski, Tony Bennett]

WEP (989 points) 6 hits

[Augie Nieto, George Alagiah*, Mutulu Shakur, Ralf Harris, Teresa Taylor, Tim Lobinger]

The Unknown Man (893 points) 5 hits

[George Alagiah*, Gianluca Vialli, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ted Kaczynski]

Death Impends (891 points) 7 hits

[Bert I Gordon, Billy Graham, Ed Ames, Francoise Gilot, Jimmy Weldon, Lucille Randon, Milan Kundera]

Toast (857 points) 9 hits

[Fay Weldon, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Just Fontaine, King Constantine, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Winnie Ewing]

Arghton (856 points) 9 hits

[Carmen Sevilla, Emlain Kabua, George Alagiah, Gianluca Vialli, Ivan Silayev*, Otis Taylor, Rafiq Nishonov, Tim Lobinger, Winnie Ewing)

Wannamaker (814 points) 8 hits

[Frank McGarvey, George Alagiah, King Constantine, Pervez Musharraf, Milan Kundera, Rolf Harris, Ryiuchi Sakamoto, Ted Kaczynski]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4