Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Sandi Toksvig

There's been talk about her, but no thread yet.  So here it is. 

Sandi Toksvig has cancelled a string of tour dates after being admitted to hospital in Australia with bronchial pneumonia.

The 64-year-old presenter and comedian, known for hosting the Great British Bake Off and QI, was due to begin the New Zealand leg of her tour on Sunday, visiting Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland.

A statement on Toksvig’s Twitter account said she hopes to return to the UK as soon as she becomes well enough to travel.

It said: “Due to illness, Sandi has cancelled the New Zealand leg of her tour.

“She has been admitted to hospital with bronchial pneumonia while still in Australia and is unable to travel & perform.

“Our main priority is getting her home to the UK as soon as she is well enough.”

Bronchial pneumonia is a type of pneumonia featuring acute inflammation of the bronchi, the two large tubes that carry air from the windpipe to the lungs, and is often accompanied by inflamed patches in the nearby lobules.

Toksvig has just completed a string of live dates in Australia, visiting cities including Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Her show, titled Sandi Toksvig Live!, is described as being “an evening of comedy and curiosities” in which she shares “little known facts” and tells “tall tales” alongside some “really silly jokes”.

Toksvig announced her departure as co-host of Bake Off in January 2020, saying she wanted to focus on other projects.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Surely no need for this? How often has her name come up in the Presenters thread?  She's currently ill but relatively young and likely to recover.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Toast said:

Surely no need for this? How often has her name come up in the Presenters thread?  She's currently ill but relatively young and likely to recover.

I just might put the Paul Bearer curse on her. 

I dunno this thread is quite interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Sean said:

I dunno this thread is quite interesting.

You proud of that one?

Not particularly.

• Haha 1

While yes "she is still young". My mum had pneumonia where she was just in bed at home and it took her about a month to recover. With the times we are in Sandi may get Covid and got to figure out how to get out of the country at same time on a trip that for any normal person takes about 24 hours with a pit stop in somewhere like Dubai. So there's that stress as well.

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

While yes "she is still young". My mum had pneumonia where she was just in bed at home and it took her about a month to recover. With the times we are in Sandi may get Covid and got to figure out how to get out of the country at same time on a trip that for any normal person takes about 24 hours with a pit stop in somewhere like Dubai. So there's that stress as well.

Oh, I do realise that I've probably killed her.

• Like 1

Or bake her a nice cake.

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

Or bake her a nice cake.

27 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think she just needs someone to make her a nice (Victoria) sandwich 

Sorted!

Not that I'm one to suck up to the mods or to be a doom and gloom merchant  but a close family friend suffered persistently with bronchial pneumonia,  at the sane age as Sandy 64, and further investigation found it was persisting because they had advanced lung cancer that killed them 5 months later.

It could be more serious than we think.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Not that I'm one to suckk up to the mods or to be a doom and gloom merchant  but a close family friend suffered persistently with bronchial pneumonia,  at the sane age as Sandy 64, and further investigation found it was persisting because they had advanced lung cancer that killed them 5 months later.

It could be more serious than we think.

I fucking hope not. Sandi is wonderful.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TQR said:

I fucking hope not. Sandi is wonderful.

Agreed. Never thought anyone could bring the same charm and wit to QI as Stephen Fry did but I actually prefer Sandi. Charming, witty, sweet, full of anecdotes and sharp as a tack, hope she's got many more years in her yet.

• Like 2

It’s good news: she’s out of hospital and recovering.

• Like 3

On 03/12/2022 at 20:03, ladyfiona said:

Not to forget that Jeremy Beadle was only 59 and pneumonia carried him off. 

And in case anyone thinks I'm being awful, I was hospitalised (aged 51) with pneumonia in February 2020 and it looked a bit dicey for me for a moment. Took a long while to recover too. 

• Like 1