Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Never really thought of Campbell as an obit risk, especially given the Yahoo expansion and the fact that UK media seem to be getting slightly more favorable towards American athletes in general. Plus his career was decently lengthy, not just some nobody who played 3 games in total

Well done Joey and Sir C (and anyone else who picked him).

Slight gnashing of teeth here, but at least it's a useful judge for obit-ability for future years.

• Like 1

Banana's Peel Slippers + analysis

1. Gianluca Vialli (JOKER) --- 24pt --- Pancreatic cancer and family called in? Goner.
  2. Tim Lobinger --- 9pt --- Cancer came back/got worse. Slight QO risk, but I feel pretty confident it'll come through.
  3. Frank Field --- 9pt --- Who knows what's really going on here, but should still be a cert. D40 lock.
  4. Jonnie Irwin --- 12.5pt --- Don't expect anything too imminent, but would be too many points to take the risk on not having. Almost guaranteed D40.
  5. Johnny Ruffo --- 10/13pt --- Same as above, but probably a tad more imminent. Outside chance at D40.
  6. James Whale --- 10pt --- Don't expect him to make it. Guaranteed D40.
  7. Rob Burrow --- 13pt --- Can go anytime.
  8. Steve McMichael --- 8/11pt --- Same as above. Slightly lower D40 chances.
  9. Simon Cowell --- 7/10pt --- Picked him over similar names as I believed he had the best chances at D40.
  10. Frank McGarvey --- 8/11pt --- Pancan QO-guarantee is hard to pass up. Let's see if my D40 plight was fulfilled.
  11. Chris Snow --- 12/16pt --- Around the 2yr ALS mark and was in a bad place to end the year. Believed he had higher solo-worthiness until UK media picked up on it.
  12. George Alagiah --- 11pt --- Cancer continues to get worse and worse. Even though it seems I've picked him for the last 4 years, it's difficult to not.
  13. Roberto Dinamite --- 8/12pt --- The new Pele. Brazilian Serie A scoring leader has colon cancer and looks real rough. Never mentioned on the forums, but still felt like too much of big name to not be picked.
  14. Kenny Collins --- 10/14pt --- The lead singer of Logan has a brain tumor which had him highly dependent in hospital. Had a shunt put in, but still seems like a delicate case. Figured he had a high shot at being a solo, but slightly low QO chances. These kinds of celebs seemingly always tend to get QOs however.
  15. Robert Zimmer --- 7/11pt --- The news of his glioblastoma diagnosis was picked up by Yahoo, so figured there's at least a 50/50 shot at his death getting picked up by Yahoo.
  16. Ryan Minor --- 10pt --- Cancer cannot be operated on, typically much worse odds but still young.
  17. Mike Sertich --- 7/11pt --- May or may not have pancan. Lowest QO chances of all my picks, but figured they'd be a solo guarantee.
  18. Rolf Harris --- 8pt --- Pretty easy pick.
  19. Teresa Taylor --- 8pt --- Slight obit risk, but dead cert.
  20. Mutulu Shakur --- 7pt --- Been eyeing him for a few years now. Never been huge on him as a pick even throughout last year, until later in the year when it was released and the news of his health seemed a bit more believable.

Pele and Jaysin Strife failed to make the starting line.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrsRachB said:

Terminal illness / death row should be excluded.

So should spammers, but thank you for signing up just to say that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 06/01/2023 at 15:22, drunkasaskunk said:

Are we now at  FIVE claimed hits so far?

Fay Weldon
Frank McGarvey
Gangsta Boo
Gianluca Vialli
Walter Cunningham.

Any more??

Bernard Kalb

39 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Bernard Kalb

Roberto Dinamite.

Thanks Captain Hemlock and Sly Ronnie

Do we KNOW that FOR A FACT Roberto Dinamite and Bernard Kalb have been picked in this year's DDP23?  ( I accept that have both got QOs) 

WHO is claiming that they get points in DDP23?

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Bernard Kalb was picked by me 

So current SCORING hits appear to be the EIGHT claimed hits (with QOs) . . . . 

Bill Campbell
Walter Cunningham
Bessie Hendricks
Bernard Kalb
Frank McGarvey
Dick Savitt
Gianluca Vialli
Fay Weldon

And we await QOs for . . .

Abdelsalam Majali

Sly Ronnie threw in the name Roberto Dinamite. without saying that they had picked him/her or providing a QO so I will ignore this one at the moment until he tells us why he made his contribution. .

So, unless we hear differently, there have been EIGHT picks who score points SO FAR this year?

Yes???

Dinamite is on Banana's submission up there.

6 minutes ago, tracy said:

Cheers  Tracy

So current SCORING hits appear to be the NINE claimed hits (with QOs) . . . . 

Bill Campbell
Walter Cunningham

Roberto Dinamite
Bessie Hendricks
Bernard Kalb
Frank McGarvey
Dick Savitt
Gianluca Vialli
Fay Weldon

And we await QOs for . . .

Abdelsalam Majali

1 hour ago, tracy said:

Presumably, he's jumped off to a nice early lead

2 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Presumably, he's jumped off to a nice early lead

Not quite, I believe Spade and Banana are only a point ahead of me since I had Bill Campbell (and we all share McGarvey and Vialli joker)

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Not quite, I believe Spade and Banana are only a point ahead of me since I had Bill Campbell (and we all share McGarvey and Vialli joker)

Well, either way, I'm already feeling left behind

So, what happens if 25 people die this year?  I guess that means the remaining 25 automatically qualify for next year?  I see that's never happened yet.   

5 hours ago, RyanandYodle said:

So, what happens if 25 people die this year?  I guess that means the remaining 25 automatically qualify for next year?  I see that's never happened yet.   

The 25 is a maximum not a minimum.  In theory the could get 50 new names each year

14 hours ago, RyanandYodle said:

You only pick 20 names on this pool

• Like 1

Well King Constantine is surely a hit. 

I wonder if George Pell is a hit or LOTM. He wasn’t picked last Year but he was picked in 2019 maybe other years. 

21 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Well King Constantine is surely a hit. 

I wonder if George Pell is a hit or LOTM. He wasn’t picked last Year but he was picked in 2019 maybe other years. 

QO if he was picked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64231261

QO for Constantine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/10/last-king-of-greece-constantine-ii-dies-aged-82

13 hours ago, drunkasaskunk said:
13 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

QO if he was picked

Pell is LOTM - last picked in 2019.

As 2019 doesn't have the nice alphabetical listing, the team that picked him was Dick Smith's OzEDeath List, '(THEME) Celebs and notables from Down Under.'

Just now, Evil Grimace said:

Pell is LOTM - last picked in 2019.

As 2019 doesn't have the nice alphabetical listing, the team that picked him was Dick Smith's OzEDeath List, '(THEME) Celebs and notables from Down Under.'

Can confirm he's LotM as none of the 2023 teams have him. 2019 was the only time he was ever picked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carole Cook gone ref Hollywood reporter. Was picked last year.