Gino Odjick

Lisa Marie Presley

Sgt. Stan Pepper

Karl Alexander Müller (?)

Paul Johnson (?)

Jim Molan (?)

...probably like 20 more names... 

George Pell for list of the missed. 

Stan Pepper died in 2021 so is he not a DQ pick like Berniece Baker Miracle was last year? 

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

George Pell for list of the missed. 

Stan Pepper died in 2021 so is he not a DQ pick like Berniece Baker Miracle was last year? 

He wasn't picked anyway, as far as I am aware. If he was, he'll be subbed.

Standard procedure has been that we'll replace dead people whose death we get to know of before the game goes live.

Lise Norgaard was a pick last year and got a Q/O so is either a hit or a List of the missed. 

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

He wasn't picked anyway, as far as I am aware. If he was, he'll be subbed.

Standard procedure has been that we'll replace dead people whose death we get to know of before the game goes live.

I ran out of subs LOL :lol:

I thought that Alan Bocking was a good shout but did he not go and die BEFORE I picked him.

DOH !! ! !!  

I think I will have 18 names in my list

Next year I think I will put in 10 subs :deathban:

I have a preliminary LotM page that will go up when we're up and running and currently have:

Gangsta Boo

Lise Norgaard

David Gold

Miiko Taka

K. Alex Muller

Patriarch Irenaios

George Pell

Lisa Marie Presley

Robbie Knievel

Gino Odjick

Jim Molan

As misses. One or two might've slipped by. Can't seem to find any record of Paul Johnson being a past pick?

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

I have a preliminary LotM page that will go up when we're up and running and currently have:

Gangsta Boo

Lise Norgaard

David Gold

Miiko Taka

K. Alex Muller

Patriarch Irenaios

George Pell

Lisa Marie Presley

Robbie Knievel

Gino Odjick

Jim Molan

As misses. One or two might've slipped by.

With Norgaard dying on New Year Day and having been picked last year I think she joins Helen Suzman as the quickest list of the missed candidate. Also probably one of the oldest list of the missed candidates. 

25 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

As misses. One or two might've slipped by. Can't seem to find any record of Paul Johnson being a past pick?

I just assumed he might have been. He has been mentioned on the forum a few times, but yeah, it was just a guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drunkasaskunk said:

I ran out of subs LOL :lol:

I thought that Alan Bocking was a good shout but did he not go and die BEFORE I picked him.

DOH !! ! !!  

I think I will have 18 names in my list

Next year I think I will put in 10 subs :deathban:

Yeah one suggestion I would for next year is more subs.I entered on the 30th I'm the afternoon and went through 2 subs in a day.

As with last year, keeping in with interests of transparency, here are names we DQed from the 2023 DDP, including names that were queried about but not actually submitted:

Elena Huelva - Mentioned upthread, although her social media following was sufficient, too much of that following was based on her illness

Natalie Fornasier - We already discussed her before as well, given multiple teams picked her. Does not meet our social media criteria

Roger Kliger - Doctor in a Massachusetts right-to-die case. There are a few too many right-to-die court cases now, that not every single plaintiff should count, especially when it's at the state level

Nicola Waters - Similar to above, an MND campaigner but without any extraordinarily high profile

Lubov Mihailivna - "Elderly Ukrainian woman who collects wood in Cherson". Not even Google could easily find this red carpet-er

Colette Soulages - Pierre's widow, with no real media profile or any claims to fame of her own

Nadja Seipel - Another that falls afoul of our social media rules

Eric Coulam - Young lad planning assisted suicide, not even a court case or activist

Georgie Allyn Barrett - Aspiring showjumper but with no recorded notability as a showjumper, and does not pass social media criteria

Sam Watson - Andy Murray's stepmother, that's about it

Grandma Joy Ryan - Grandmother crisscrossing the US to visit many of its national parks. A harmless pick, but another that doesn't pass social media rules

Marianne Simard - Terminally ill woman who published a few songs after her illness. But the attention the music received is near nonexistent

Past DQ Laura Nuttall was submitted on one team, which was also brought up in this thread. Also, one deadpooler submitted themselves as a pick! If you yourself are not at least vaguely notable, please do not do so.

• Like 5

We're up. Teams, celebs picked, Drop 40 all posted (I previously alluded to there being a joint tie at 40th, but two of these names had an inflated total due to a few duplicate teams - it's just 40 names). Obits posted for the first two weeks - Crosby and co will wait until next weekend. 2022 archived. List of the Missed up, as is a (currently blank) List of the Lost. TTL waits until later in the month.

There's obviously still kinks to be sorted out but that will be handled in due time. But for now, we're here.

I said it on the DDP site itself and I'll reiterate here: In addition to the 2023 committee of @gcreptile, @Banana, and I, @Grim Up North was also invaluable in helping during the entry period and first couple of weeks of the year, in both teaching Banana all the ins-and-outs of the team entry process and the many quirks of our system, as well as assisting the committee with new celeb data entry. Additionally @Whitehouse contributed to the new celebs in a voluntary capacity. Having that task divided between five people indubitably made it far less daunting than last year, and we thank the assistance. :clap:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 14

Well, I see that the only two picks I had hoped would be unique aren't and also that Tilson Thomas somehow isn't Drop 40, which essentially makes him a worthless pick.  Better luck next year, I guess.  DiMeglio not being a solo really pisses me off, though.

Having a look @Death Impends, first thing that strikes me is the celebrity picks by initial are still listed as being under DDP 2022 in the heading.

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

As with last year, keeping in with interests of transparency, here are names we DQed from the 2023 DDP, including names that were queried about but not actually submitted:

Also a deadpooler submitted themselves as a pick! If you yourself are not at least vaguely notable, please do not do so.

Ha! That reminds me when someone picked me for the 2009 DDP, presumably annoyed at how I ran 2008.

Irony is that back then I would be disqualified, nowadays I should pass the fame test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of my picks is wrongly attributed.  I picked Prince Edward, Duke of Kent but the link goes to Prince Edward (Earl of Wessex).

and feel free to give me a shout if you need help with images again.

19 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

We're up. Teams, celebs picked, Drop 40 all posted (I previously alluded to there being a joint tie at 40th, but two of these names had an inflated total due to a few duplicate teams - it's just 40 names). Obits posted for the first two weeks - Crosby and co will wait until next weekend. 2022 archived. List of the Missed up, as is a (currently blank) List of the Lost. TTL waits until later in the month.

There's obviously still kinks to be sorted out but that will be handled in due time. But for now, we're here.

I said it on the DDP site itself and I'll reiterate here: In addition to the 2023 committee of @gcreptile, @Banana, and I, @Grim Up North was also invaluable in helping during the entry period and first couple of weeks of the year, in both teaching Banana all the ins-and-outs of the team entry process and the many quirks of our system, as well as assisting the committee with new celeb data entry. Additionally @Whitehouse contributed to the new celebs in a voluntary capacity. Having that task divided between five people indubitably made it far less daunting than last year, and we thank the assistance. :clap:

Thank you for the mention DI - as a point of minor detail to me but only fair to banana the committee info on the site needs updated. Cheers 

• Thanks 2

Amazing work, thank you all.

I almost hate to say it, but @Banana and @Death Impends Just to say that I picked the wildlife Simon Cowell, not the X factor one. Pleasantly surprised to get two uniques although fully admit I'm chancing it a bit with Tongo's QO chances. But you've got to take risks sometimes..

Also learnt from last year and have 14 drop 40. Delighted Winnie Ewing wasn't drop 40 which made the decision to drop her a wise tactical move.

PS let me know if I can help in any form 

Thanks team - good stuff. Two errors on my "times-up team" however.

Jim Norton should be the Father Ted Jim Norton, not the one I've never heard of, & the Paul Young should be the Scottish Still Game actor, not the mediocre singer. Cheers!

All correct with the exception that my team names are still in 2022 mode ieExpiry Date 2022 and There is nothing like a dame (and the Women who gives them it) rather than Expiry Date 2023 and There is nothing like a dame. I note other teams with years in them still have 2022 as well. Also means the description of my dames team needs correcting. 

I am surprised Brian Croucher is a unique because it was mentioned on the forums that he was apparently ill. 

I noticed various celeb descriptions are now years out of date so that could be something later in the year I could help clear up for you? 

• Like 1

Fantastic work huge thank  you !!

I have 58 Unique Picks!!! 44 last year and while I hoped to meet or surpass  it I never thought I would reach 58 out of 60 names as Unique with one team all Unique picks!!

I am delighted. 

One small error , I picked William Gage the British judge who presided over the Jill Dando murder trial  not the William  Gage who is at the opposite ends of of the spectrum who is listed on DDP  the convicted  criminal !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gage_(judge)

This guy!

Many thanks again to @gcreptile @Death Impends and @Banana for their phenomenal  effort and dedication .

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

One of my picks is wrongly attributed.  I picked Prince Edward, Duke of Kent but the link goes to Prince Edward (Earl of Wessex).

and feel free to give me a shout if you need help with images again.

I think that has happened to a lot of teams.

"The Elders of Reality TV" theme team seems to have mixed up rosters with "Poor Little Ghoul" theme team.

Thanks to the host for keeping this game going!

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I have 58 Unique Picks!!!

Amazing, and I've actually heard of some of them :lol:  Are they all circling the drain?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1