Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

Not sure about this, but the team named Well, Somebody Ate All The Pies would appear to be a theme team of obese people.

• Like 1

There are two Christopher Benjamin entries for the same character actor that may need to be merged. Interestingly, neither is listed as a unique on the respective teams.

• Like 1

Awesome work guys! Actually quite impressed that 10 of my Theme Team picks are unique, particularly including my joker Chris Spedding. What was a joke might actually end up with some points!

This is minor and really doesn’t matter a toss, but I’m now showing as ‘first year in the DDP’ because I changed my main team’s name this year (from Quite Unwell Illustrious Mortals to Beat the Cost of Living Crisis with One Simple Trick!). No bother if this is the done thing when one changes their name; this is my third year and my previous best was only 28th so my stats were nothing to shout about.

This year, my main team has 15 in the Drop 40 (because I’m such a basic bitch) and 1 unique pick, unique I’m assuming because it might be risky as far as QOs are concerned.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Fantastic work huge thank  you !!

I have 58 Unique Picks!!! 44 last year and while I hoped to meet or surpass  it I never thought I would reach 58 out of 60 names as Unique with one team all Unique picks!!

I am delighted. 

One small error , I picked William Gage the British judge who presided over the Jill Dando murder trial  not the William  Gage who is at the opposite ends of of the spectrum who is listed on DDP  the convicted  criminal !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gage_(judge)

This guy!

Many thanks again to @gcreptile @Death Impends and @Banana for their phenomenal  effort and dedication .

Sorry for taking one of them with Polly Perkins. 

• Like 1

I saw website got updated so can finally announce who I have as I forgot, lol.

Frail or cancerous (I couldn't think of a decent team name)

1. George Alagiah  (drop 40)
  2. Shannen Doherty (drop 40)
  3. Pope Francis
  4. Rolf Harris (drop 40)
  5. Jonnie Irwin (drop 40)
  6. Kate Keltie (drop 40)
  7. Duke of Kent (Prince Edward)
  8. Shane MacGowan (drop 40)
  9. Kenneth McAlpine
  10. Virginia Halas McCaskey
  11. Linda Nolan (drop 40)
  12. Yoko Ono (drop 40)
  13. Vladimir Putin (drop 40)
  14. Patricia Routledge
  15. William Russell
  16. Eva Marie Saint (drop 40)
  17. June Spencer
  18. Andy Taylor (joker)(drop 40)
  19. Shoichiro Toyoda (unique pick apparently)
  20. Dick Van Dyke (drop 40)

Why I added Putin I don't know but hey ho.

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Thank you @Whitehouse too ! I guess I kept you particularly busy with my influx of new names!!

Much appreciated 

Well yeah, some celebs were more obscure than others. DOB and POB were sometimes hard to find but with some choice key words some results were made, though there still are some gaps. First thing I did was I employed my tablet and simply recorded the name out load. When a celeb popped  up you had most of the details on hand. Filled in the spreadsheet with some details and done.

Some times the tablet didn't understand what I said, dumb thing. Or the celeb was a bit obscure, like a council woman in Suffolk I never heard of (but one of you did, and you know she's sick....). That was challenging but I managed to do a lot of work. I hope next year to contribute some more. I came in a bit later but It was a blast.

But.....

Where's my theme list?

Edit; found it.

• Like 4

Me looking for mine 

1 minute ago, Insane said:

Me looking for mine 

Find a celeb name that's on your list and see if your team is listed there. It could be that the name of your team slightly changed.

My world leaders team doesn't seem to appear in this year's database. 

Most teams are actually in. But there are about 10-20 where there's a name glitch. Sorry, I have to redo it. Scores will disappear again, but most of your teams are actually in even if you don't see them.

Give me a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My two theme teams don't seem to have made it - probably my faulty due to adding them as second and third sheets in the Excel spreadsheet I submitted, instead of sending them as separate sheets. My main team is there and with all picks correct.

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

As with last year, keeping in with interests of transparency, here are names we DQed from the 2023 DDP, including names that were queried about but not actually submitted:

Elena Huelva - Mentioned upthread, although her social media following was sufficient, too much of that following was based on her illness

Natalie Fornasier - We already discussed her before as well, given multiple teams picked her. Does not meet our social media criteria

Roger Kliger - Doctor in a Massachusetts right-to-die case. There are a few too many right-to-die court cases now, that not every single plaintiff should count, especially when it's at the state level

Nicola Waters - Similar to above, an MND campaigner but without any extraordinarily high profile

Lubov Mihailivna - "Elderly Ukrainian woman who collects wood in Cherson". Not even Google could easily find this red carpet-er

Colette Soulages - Pierre's widow, with no real media profile or any claims to fame of her own

Nadja Seipel - Another that falls afoul of our social media rules

Eric Coulam - Young lad planning assisted suicide, not even a court case or activist

Georgie Allyn Barrett - Aspiring showjumper but with no recorded notability as a showjumper, and does not pass social media criteria

Sam Watson - Andy Murray's stepmother, that's about it

Grandma Joy Ryan - Grandmother crisscrossing the US to visit many of its national parks. A harmless pick, but another that doesn't pass social media rules

Marianne Simard - Terminally ill woman who published a few songs after her illness. But the attention the music received is near nonexistent

Past DQ Laura Nuttall was submitted on one team, which was also brought up in this thread. Also, one deadpooler submitted themselves as a pick! If you yourself are not at least vaguely notable, please do not do so.

Marianne Simard is listed on the DDP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Amazing work, thank you all.

I almost hate to say it, but @Banana and @Death Impends Just to say that I picked the wildlife Simon Cowell, not the X factor one. Pleasantly surprised to get two uniques although fully admit I'm chancing it a bit with Tongo's QO chances. But you've got to take risks sometimes..

Also learnt from last year and have 14 drop 40. Delighted Winnie Ewing wasn't drop 40 which made the decision to drop her a wise tactical move.

PS let me know if I can help in any form 

I would also like to point out that I too picked the wildlife Simon Cowell, not the X factor one that is attributed to my team.

I have TEN unique picks.

We shall see if that is a good thing or not.

Thanks to the organisers for their hard work.

1. John Morris of Aberavon
  2. Robin Bridgeman Unique pick
  3. Simon Cowell 
  4. Rupert de Larrinaga Unique pick Joker!
  5. Freddie Foreman Unique pick
  6. Rolf Harris Drop Forty bonus
  7. Doug Hoyle
  8. Hugh Hudson Unique pick
  9. Douglas Hurd
  10. Jonnie Irwin Drop Forty bonus
  11. Michael Jopling Unique pick
  12. Jackie Lee
  13. Sheila Lerwill
  14. Mark Schreiber Unique pick
  15. Joan Seccombe Unique pick
  16. Susan Stranks Unique pick
  17. Dick Van Dyke Drop Forty bonus
  18. Nigel Vinson Unique pick
  19. Peter Watkins Unique pick
  20. Bobby Welch

Just having a butchers at the theme teams this year and I’ve noticed that Who Goes Before The 5-0 Arrives? (the theme being people under 50) has Rhod Gilbert (54), Andy Taylor (62), Bill Nighy (73), Ozzy Osbourne (74), Kiri Te Kanawa (78) and Billy Connolly (80) in it.

• Haha 1

I do see an error with my theme team "The DOA Tour": Designated Peter Oosterhuis as my joker in the email submission but the site has the joker icon next to Al Geiberger instead.

6 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I do see an error with my theme team "The DOA Tour": Designated Peter Oosterhuis as my joker in the email submission but the site has the joker icon next to Al Geiberger instead.

In amongst 500 entries where the instruction is to submit your joker as the number 1 pick you can see how the error occurred :D

Theme: Golf
Team Name: The DOA Tour

Al Geiberger
Betsy Rawls
Bobby Nichols
Chi-Chi Rodríguez
Don January
Ivor Robson
Jack Burke Jr
Peter Oosterhuis
Jack Nicklaus
Michael Bonallack
Tony Jacklin
Gary Player
Neil Coles
Brian Huggett
Tommy Aaron
JoAnne Carner
Verne Lundquist
Frank Beard
David Joy
Tiger Woods

SUBS
Bob Charles
Johnny Miller
Bruce Devlin

Info:
Peter Oosterhuis - JOKER
Al Geiberger - first pro to shoot 59 in competition
Ivor Robson - long time starter at The Open
Frank Beard - 11 time PGA Tour winner
David Joy - golf historian/Old Tom Morris impersonator
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

In amongst 500 entries where the instruction is to submit your joker as the number 1 pick you can see how the error occurred :D

I've made too many idiotic reading comprehension errors born from laziness.  Glossed over the basics in favor of researching names.  My apologies.  Maybe I'll finally have the basics of this down by late December... when I'll no longer have any time to research.

Well.. I hope the team issues are resolved now.

That said, 

54 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just having a butchers at the theme teams this year and I’ve noticed that Who Goes Before The 5-0 Arrives? (the theme being people under 50) has Rhod Gilbert (54), Andy Taylor (62), Bill Nighy (73), Ozzy Osbourne (74), Kiri Te Kanawa (78) and Billy Connolly (80) in it.

Yes, this is still weird, but it seems to be the way it is.

Please complain (to me) if you still can't find your team. Hopefully, the two Pazuzu teams are the only ones missing now.

• Thanks 3

This theme team is also a bit confusing:

7AC9288B-C7DE-4A86-9211-696D01748820.thumb.jpeg.6582c298b1b46d182422ce1eca14969c.jpeg

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

This theme team is also a bit confusing:

7AC9288B-C7DE-4A86-9211-696D01748820.thumb.jpeg.6582c298b1b46d182422ce1eca14969c.jpeg

Ah, yes! They had a theme (and name) change actually. They are now "Clerically Dead". Thanks, that's easy.

It's probably what's wrong with the other one also.

• Like 1

Expiry Date has been updated to 2023 but my dames team still has the old name. 

Something buggy with team notes? Noticed a few of them that were listed earlier have turned into 0s.

Looks like my themes (DCAU/Family Guy/MST3K) are 20/60 unique. Feel free to take me to task if you think they're stupid. :D

Sorry to add to the list of booboos, but the John Scott on my Life Got Cold team is the wrong one. It was meant to be Scottish politician John Scott (wiki) and not the British composer.

I did add a wiki link to his page in my submission so it was clear which John Scott it was. Maybe I should have put (politician) John Scott in my entry? If it's my fault that I didn't include that information, it's totally fine.

Massive props to the sexy people that have dedicated the last month or so of their lives to make this pool happen. You all deserve the sloppiest of fellatio tonight! Or a 'lil strum.

• Haha 1

I think I’m correct in saying all members of the death list and crowd sourced list are picks?

• Like 1