Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

Shall hope to get the LotM up to date this weekend. Busy past few days IRL.

• Like 5

(THEME) Great-Dead Britons
First year in DDP.
(THEME) A-List british people
  1. Julie Andrews
  2. David Attenborough Drop Forty bonus
  3. David Beckham Unique pick
  4. Tim Berners-Lee Unique pick
  5. Tony Blair
  6. (singer) Bono Unique pick
  7. Richard Branson
  8. Michael Crawford Joker!
  9. Terry Deary Unique pick
  10. Bob Geldof
  11. Boy George
  12. Eric Idle
  13. Mark Labbett Unique pick
  14. John Lydon
  15. Harry Maguire Unique pick
  16. Paul McCartney
  17. Steve Redgrave Unique pick
  18. Cliff Richard
  19. J. K. Rowling
  20. Robbie Williams 

I finally got around to looking through some of the Theme Teams, and this one caught my eye. Leaving aside the question of whether "British people" is really a theme in a British Dead Pool, the real issue is what are Bob Geldof and Bono doing on it? Of course you are welcome to the two insufferable cunts, but I'm fairly sure that they still count as paddies.

• Like 1

What’s shocking to me is that the incestuous quiz bloke from The Chase is considered A list. 

11 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

the real issue is what are Bob Geldof and Bono doing on it? Of course you are welcome to the two insufferable cunts, but I'm fairly sure that they still count as paddies.

Depends how you define British because technically the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles but yeah they probably shouldn't be on there considering it implies United Kingdom British not British Isles British.

Also the name of the team is Great Britons which doesn't include Northern Ireland let alone The Republic of.

I have noticed a couple of wrong attributions for a couple of my picks in my THEME TEAM "Jocks Away"

The James Harkness that I selected is NOT a Scottish Actor but is a former Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.

And the Ian McCulloch that I selected is the Actor, famous, to those of a certain age, as the star of the scary-as-fuck-for-the -time Sci Fi drama SURVIVORS, and not the bloke from Echo and the fanny men :-)

Of course, we all know that within a fortnight both the actor Harkness and the singer McCulloch will crash into each other on the M60 and be killed.

Cheers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

And the Ian McCulloch that I selected is the Actor, famous, to those of a certain age, as the star of the scary-as-fuck-for-the -time Sci Fi drama SURVIVORS, and not the bloke from Echo and the fanny men :-)

I know Ian McCulloch from the '80 video nasty 'Zombi' (aka 'Zombi 2') by Lucio Fulci.  It is also the origin of the shark vs zombie memes.

During lockdown I started watching 'Survivors' but I didn't finish it.  Can't recall why...

43 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

I know Ian McCulloch from the '80 video nasty 'Zombi' (aka 'Zombi 2') by Lucio Fulci.  It is also the origin of the shark vs zombie memes.

During lockdown I started watching 'Survivors' but I didn't finish it.  Can't recall why...

He also guest-starred in that rather ropey Doctor Who story with Dobbin from Rentaghost in it.

• Like 1

Think I have everything up to date for the Obit Watch/LotL/LotM. Everyone mentioned in this thread, plus Bert I. Gordon and Mystic Meg also misses. Napoleon XIV and Tongo also awaiting obits. That everyone?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Think I have everything up to date for the Obit Watch/LotL/LotM. Everyone mentioned in this thread, plus Bert I. Gordon and Mystic Meg also misses. Napoleon XIV and Tongo also awaiting obits. That everyone?

How about Otis (My Man) Taylor?

1 minute ago, deadsox said:

How about Otis (My Man) Taylor?

He is a scoring hit and has been updated appropriately by Reptile.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 19:11, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Depends how you define British because technically the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles but yeah they probably shouldn't be on there considering it implies United Kingdom British not British Isles British.

Also the name of the team is Great Britons which doesn't include Northern Ireland let alone The Republic of.

I don't think that there is any definition of British which includes "born and bred in Dublin". Being part of the geographical construct of the British Isles doesn't make Irish people British, in the same way that being part of North America doesn't make Canadian people American. 

Unless of course they are Nordies, in which case it depends on which foot they kick with. 

• Haha 1

For whatever reason, Kenzaburo Oe seems un-updateable. The program crashes when I try to mark him dead. First I wondered if the last name was too short, but it wasn't that. I'll try to figure it out, but at the moment I have no idea.

• Shocked 1

My pick Tom McLeish died in February but still no qualifying obituary, so it looks like he needs to be  put on  the list of the lost- but hopefully only temporarily. 

On 11/03/2023 at 13:24, Death Impends said:

Take it away @Death Impends, as you gain a QO for Jerry Samuels aka Napoleon XIV @gcreptilehttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/03/20/jerry-samuels-recording-engineer-who-napoleon-xiv-had-hit-coming/

• Thanks 1

Willie Bell Obit, a pick for me in one of my Theme Teams

• Like 3

On 11/03/2023 at 13:27, Sly Ronnie said:

There's a couple of "theme teams" which I can't work out the theme. Both similarly named..

Any ideas?

I submitted Nearly Dead Kennedys, and thought it was a unique idea. I was surprised to see someone submitted based on the same theme.

Sakamoto gives me the lead again.

Of course, it's early days, it's been a slow start, and I don't think I have enough differentials to maintain a lead in the long term, but definitely feels good that I've been toggling between 1st and 2nd place since late January.

Although it looks like begrudgingly picking Linda Nolan might end up working out for me...

• Like 1

Judge Roger Vinson awaits a tricky QO.  He’s been dead a few days already and not even a NYTimes obit, so maybe heading to the Lost list.

• Like 1