Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

Probably the most infamous instance of that is with msc back in 2018

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Come on.

Hits of 36 Years Ago... = 1987 hits, not 1985.

;)

Amended on both the page and in my Excel lookup file

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Amended on both the page and in my Excel lookup file

Cheers!

Both my teams in the top 35. Huzzah!

Also, biggest letdown with a theme team IMO is that there's a theme revolving around people with penis slang in their names (famous Dicks, people with "Hard" in their surname, etc) but no Peter Bonerz on it.

• Haha 3

My jazz and cycling teams are most likely to receive qualifying obituaries from the same journalist, the Guardian's Richard Williams.

42 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Come on.

Hits of 36 Years Ago... = 1987 hits, not 1985.

;)

Remember a few years ago when I said the idea of that theme teams year getting near my age of birth was disturbing. Well, more so now its younger than me.

• Haha 1

On 28/01/2023 at 10:20, Evil Grimace said:

D40 vs Unique Points

Currently at D40 is +3 points and a Unique is +4 points.  My proposal is to give a 2 point differential:

D40 remains at +3 but Unique increases to +5 or D40 decreases to +2 and Unique remains at +4.

My preference is for 2/4 as it reduces the reward of being part of the herd and justifies the research into that Unique hit.  It does not inflate scores either.

I resent that D40 names—which present a complete lack of research or ingenuity—are rewarded at all.  They weren’t before. It’s Deathlist’s version of a Millenial participation trophy. It’s damn near impossible (once theme teams are included in the stats, which they probably shouldn’t be) in landing a unique hit, and they should be rewarded handsomely. 

• Like 1

I would be happy to see the drop 40 bonus go altogether.  Created with the best of intentions, but the... 'groupthink' (is that the right word?) it inspires is a bad thing in my opinion, as it is an antidote for more considered and independent thought. 

Drop 40 names should be worth a point less than normal names, and five less than uniques. I say this as someone with one unique in my team and more than half in the D40.

Leave Drop 40 as +3, increase Unique to +5 (problem with going higher is that random olds are the most likely to be unique, these days, and I don't feel picking random olds shows a great deal of extra effort), and then adopt something similar to what's done over at alt obits: reward a pick that only two teams share with a +4 and a pick that only 3 share with a +3.  The numbers can be adjusted but this would be my basic proposal.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Leave Drop 40 as +3, increase Unique to +5 (problem with going higher is that random olds are the most likely to be unique, these days, and I don't feel picking random olds shows a great deal of extra effort), and then adopt something similar to what's done over at alt obits: reward a pick that only two teams share with a +4 and a pick that only 3 share with a +3.  The numbers can be adjusted but this would be my basic proposal.

Maybe trial the unique pick suggestion this year by picking a unique individual as the only 5 pointer, y'know - like Aussie boxing legend Billy Dib!

Just spotted that the photo for my pick William Gage (judge) has come up with no photo just  the word licensed in a picture? Not sure what that is about  unless whatever photo was chosen to be uploaded had copyright issues? Anyway  not sure how to resolve that? I hate the thought of one of my picks being one of the very few without a photo!

I spotted that Jill Forster one of my picks is one of the few  F names without a photo so if needed hope this helps !

image.png.55a3d9181127e47c995b17b7bf50810f.png

Yeah, all the photos for William Gage I found were "licensable" or whatever it's called. I was hesitant to use these.

As you can see, we're almost done. Some missing photos are even just spelling errors for the file names. These will be corrected. We're not done yet.

• Thanks 2

The death of Dennis Lotis got a mention on a BBC news bulletin yesterday here.

It's at 2:10. Take it this doesn't count as it's not in written form?

58 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The death of Dennis Lotis got a mention on a BBC news bulletin yesterday here.

It's at 2:10. Take it this doesn't count as it's not in written form?

Bit harsh if he doesn't get a q/o, lived so long everyone who really cared has probably beaten him into the grave. Think a broadsheet will come good on this in a day or two.

• Like 1

Eek! I picked him. We'll see, I guess.

Incidentally, I entered two teams, one unthemed titled "Tragic, Our Maurice" and one a music theme team titled "Funk Pop a Roll".

I can see Funk Pop a Roll is up with the name Tragic, Our Maurice but the other team isn't. I was wondering if this was a mistake? 

If not and if I've not played by the rules, let me know as I have never entered two teams before. :)

35 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Eek! I picked him. We'll see, I guess.

Incidentally, I entered two teams, one unthemed titled "Tragic, Our Maurice" and one a music theme team titled "Funk Pop a Roll".

I can see Funk Pop a Roll is up with the name Tragic, Our Maurice but the other team isn't. I was wondering if this was a mistake? 

If not and if I've not played by the rules, let me know as I have never entered two teams before. :)

I'll have a look on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Estuarian Float said:

Has any host ever posted a screenshot of the name database? Must be massive...

There are currently 15800 Full Celebrity Records including the dead but the Vlookup file has 16680 entries - I would have thought they should match but whichever is correct I think that would fall into your definition of 'massive'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1