Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

Alright, I've added two more teams that were still out there, including yours, @TheKeysOfMarinus.

These two teams actually lead to an expansion of the Drop 40. Glynis Johns and Stanley Baxter are now also in. The Drop 40 consists of 43 names now.

Unfortunately for some, there are 3-4 names that have lost their uniqueness because a late added team has picked them as well.

And with that, I'd like to close the gates shut for 2023. 519 teams, this is it. Admittedly, there was a personnel turnover and some need for getting accustomed to the teams submission process. But now in mid-February, I hope everyone has checked their teams, and so there is no more forgotten team out there.

However, I will still check for name changes, and an update of the statistics. While one CAN do it all manually, I'd like to try a more automatic approach, meaning that in the ideal world, once the new game is up, the teams and celebrity info is perfect, and I can plug this new database for the year into a file that updates "name", "years in DDP" and "best rank" automatically. But since that is not required for the game to run smoothly, a rush to finish that is not needed (and not many people complained that some stats were outdated last year).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Also, work on the photos for the first-time picks of 2023 has been finished.

A big thank you to @time, @Toast, @Book, @Octopus of Odstock@wannamaker and @Estuarian Float for their contributions. The game grew again this year, and all you people were very creative in your choices. Lots of fields are covered, lots of people from all kinds of backgrounds are included.

Not everyone had a photo on the web, so occasionally we got creative, and occasionally not. If you happen to have a photo for our invisible people, feel free to tell.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Checked all my picks and all but one have a photo or relevant image. Ian Ure is the one missing a photo which surprises me as he is not some second rate footballer who played all his football in the 2nd tier in Scotland but a successful centre half winning the League title with Dundee before playing over 200 games for Arsenal in a 6 year spell then a couple of seasons at Manchester United as well as winning 8 caps for Scotland. 

I know photos need a particular size format but here's one which I hope is suitable

image.jpeg.b7ede68640db6eb51053fc90d98781ea.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, justonecornetto said:

Checked all my picks and all but one have a photo or relevant image. Ian Ure is the one missing a photo which surprises me as he is not some second rate footballer who played all his football in the 2nd tier in Scotland but a successful centre half winning the League title with Dundee before playing over 200 games for Arsenal in a 6 year spell then a couple of seasons at Manchester United as well as winning 8 caps for Scotland. 

I know photos need a particular size format but here's one which I hope is suitable

image.jpeg.b7ede68640db6eb51053fc90d98781ea.jpeg

Aye, an amazing life - top-flight football both sides of the border, a subsequent career as a social worker in some of Scotland's toughest beats and two series starring as Super Gran!

• Haha 2

Le Monde is not a qualifying obit for DDP ? Asking for Marcel Zanini’s qualification 

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Le Monde is not a qualifying obit for DDP ? Asking for Marcel Zanini’s qualification 

No, you can check the rules page for the obits.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

France hasn't been British for several hundred years now, so, no.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

"Rena, with whom he had three sons, Damon, Kim and Gareth, died in 1997. He is survived by his second wife, Bronwen, who was Rena’s niece."

What a randy old bastard!!

Well, I don't know but depending on various ages how do we know she was that much younger than him. I know someone who is older than her uncle.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well, I don't know but depending on various ages how do we know she was that much younger than him. I know someone who is older than her uncle.

I was more so referring to the fact that after his first wife died he started shagging her niece!!!

I see Mark Stokes has been added the list of the lost. Not that surprising to me he hasn’t obited and probably won’t now.

I think there's still a good month window for him in Guardian's "Other Lives" tbh. Nowhere near writing him off as a scorer yet.

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I think there's still a good month window for him in Guardian's "Other Lives" tbh. Nowhere near writing him off as a scorer yet.

I fully expect an obit on the 29th December which starts with..

"My former colleague Mark Stokes, who died in January" writes S.Cooley, "was a brilliant...."

:P 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yahoo very likely has a licensing deal with CBC for copy/pasting. So every nationally prominent canadian should QO. But that lasts only as long as this deal.

Still, maybe I should have thought more about suitable canadians.

19 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

This is the Wikipedia article with photo for Sam Bankman-Fried. I’m not sure why he doesn’t have a picture on DDP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Bankman-Fried

Here's the formatted image I sent in for him, as I did the B's. Don't know if it got lost along the way.

bankmanfrieds023.png

Maybe it's just a naming issue, no biggie.

You'd think a European 50 year old world champion track and field athlete who received UK coverage of initial diagnosis and later diagnosis would then receive a QO when they die.

Tim Hellstrom.

Edit: Well never fucking mind. Did not see the Sun QO.

Tim Lobinger's passing reminds me of the old, joke from before the fall of the Soviet Union . . . 

"and in sports news, the East German pole Vault champion has just become, erm, well, the West German pole vault champion."

• Like 1