Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

On 11/10/2023 at 15:01, manuel said:

Does this article about her grandson's wedding with a passing mention of her death count as an obit for Archduchess Yolande of Austria (A unique hit and joker for Not Gone Yet But Still Forgotten):

Austria's Archduke Alexander kisses new bride Countess Natacha Roumiantzoff-Pachkevitch after the couple tie the knot in lavish ceremony in Belgium | Daily Mail Online

Passing mentions shouldn’t count as ‘an obit’.  We all know what ‘an obit’ is.  But hey whoever runs this thing can water it down as much as they like. 

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Passing mentions shouldn’t count as ‘an obit’.  We all know what ‘an obit’ is.  But hey whoever runs this thing can water it down as much as they like. 

"OBITUARY QUALIFICATION:  To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity’s death on a national online news source"

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/ddp-rules/

I for one know what a obituary is, but the term is used loosely in deadpooling. 

However ....

From the OED:

A record or announcement of a death, esp. in a newspaper or similar publication; (in later use) (also) spec. an appreciation appearing in a newspaper or news broadcast, of an eminent or well-known person who has recently died, typically including a brief biography. Also in extended use.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Toast said:

"OBITUARY QUALIFICATION:  To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity’s death on a national online news source"

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/ddp-rules/

I for one know what a obituary is, but the term is used loosely in deadpooling. 

However ....

From the OED:

A record or announcement of a death, esp. in a newspaper or similar publication; (in later use) (also) spec. an appreciation appearing in a newspaper or news broadcast, of an eminent or well-known person who has recently died, typically including a brief biography. Also in extended use.

Tbf this counting as an obit is quite far-fatched. Putting my Game here but we had tons of obits for Claude Sarraute (still fed up with this), real articles from prominent newspaper such as Le Monde uk, Libération (in english) and others, and not a single one article in any newspaper from any language about Yolanda’s passing except this one line reference. This is not an obit

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Tbf this counting as an obit is quite far-fatched. Putting my Game here but we had tons of obits for Claude Sarraute (still fed up with this), real articles from prominent newspaper such as Le Monde uk, Libération (in english) and others, and not a single one article in any newspaper from any language about Yolanda’s passing except this one line reference. This is not an obit

I've been here a while.

The DDP rule here has been in force all that time, and yet nobody has bitched about it until now. And that was before the "wide open" Yahoo QOs were accepted.

A passing reference, a caption on a photo, all these things count provided they are from a qualifying source and they reference the death. True, they are not obits - but the rules that everyone signs up to are clear from the outset. Some may not like them, but they agree to the rules when they submit a team.

If you still can't get an obit, either you are incredibly unlucky or you have picked an obscure celeb so bloody obscure to the great unwashed British public that even the numerous sources aren't interested in covering them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@YoungWillz When I was in charge we did get complaints. Complaints that I wasn't lenient enough on that rule. Like saying Putin isn't enough of a warmonger!

The reference and spirit of the rule we inherited from Spade, who kept it from TMIB, who kept it from OOO, who kept it from Rude Kid. That's nearly twenty years now. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, msc said:

@YoungWillz When I was in charge we did get complaints. Complaints that I wasn't lenient enough on that rule. Like saying Putin isn't enough of a warmonger!

The reference and spirit of the rule we inherited from Spade, who kept it from TMIB, who kept it from OOO, who kept it from Rude Kid. That's nearly twenty years now. 

Folk take this far too seriously.

The interminable search for an unique. Such in fact that to the extent that people like Jane Birkin and Jimmy Buffett get missed.

I play along for a little distraction. I have no access to the resources some seem to have to pick up on those picks that might mean winning or doing well. I like my teams, I like my topics, and I also like learning about folk, even if I have never heard of them I have no interest however in actually picking folk that mean nothing to me except points on a board.. Winning/high scoring is the furthest thing from my mind. 

I roll with the punches, I live with not getting an unique obit (but I will still complain about it on here - see Philip Latham! who did finally obit) and move on.

Some folk are just good at this. If I'm not, my life isn't ruined. :lol:

• Like 7

With today's update on hits to the DDP the total is now 255.  At the 24th October and 68 days left in the year, only 26 more hits are required for a new record.  The only question is when it will happen. (Back of the envelope calculation estimates 1st December).

Spoiler below compares 2023 to the years 2013-2022.  These are all years with more than 200 hits and with an average of more than 500 teams.

Spoiler
Year Total Hits
2022 280
2020 278
2021 275
2016 275
2023 255
2017 254
2019 253
2018 247
2014 247
2015 239
2013 219

• Like 3

On 17/10/2023 at 00:56, YoungWillz said:

Folk take this far too seriously.

The interminable search for an unique. Such in fact that to the extent that people like Jane Birkin and Jimmy Buffett get missed.

I play along for a little distraction. I have no access to the resources some seem to have to pick up on those picks that might mean winning or doing well. I like my teams, I like my topics, and I also like learning about folk, even if I have never heard of them I have no interest however in actually picking folk that mean nothing to me except points on a board.. Winning/high scoring is the furthest thing from my mind. 

I roll with the punches, I live with not getting an unique obit (but I will still complain about it on here - see Philip Latham! who did finally obit) and move on.

Some folk are just good at this. If I'm not, my life isn't ruined. :lol:

Well I am a hybrid of this. I l really love having unique picks in my teams but I don't do it to be competitive as I'm sure you can tell and I only pick people who I am interested in either for themselves,  the genre  or even sub genre they fall under or news story/topic that brought them a noteworthy level of fame. 

Infact  I like so many of the probable unique picks that I have a   terrible job wittlingly  it down to a manageable list! Team submission time is both an agony and a thrill!

I couldn't resist including June Kenton,   a businesswoman who provides underwear to female British royals but lost the royal warrant and seal of approval for being very indiscrete! It was too delicious but at the same time more worthy people like sociologists and philsophers tickle my  interest too.

Never would I include someone who I didn't find interesting in some way.

• Like 4

On 24/10/2023 at 17:07, YoungWillz said:

As Kenwright is the most recent entry at hit 256 for the DDP,  it has created a 'triple bill' with Bill Hayden (21 Oct), Bill Gates (footballer) (22 Oct) and Bill Kenwright (23 Oct).  

With regards to @YoungWillz comments re: uniques, Kenwright has to be an example of research/lucky pick/recall.  Kudos to the team 'The Cobbles Toll for Thee' for the unique hit, but more importantly for bringing him back to the DDP after a 7 year absence.

2015:  diagnosed with liver cancer

2016:  DDP pick for three teams https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2016/celebs_K.html#kenwb0

2017-2022: falls off the radar*

2023: unique hit 

*the only other references I can find is mention and DDP Salvage comments by @DevonDeathTrip at the start of 2016 and in 2017 he's listed on @Rotten Ali Shadow List in his signature (edit: name does appear in pools on the forum)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Why on earth anyone would have had a largely forgotten nondescript 80-yr old guy on their DDP team - even a theme team - is stunning.  An incredible selection imho.  Possibly as incredible as him getting a QO (though it’s Yahoo so generic).

On 16/10/2023 at 18:27, Lafaucheuse said:

Of course it’s not.  Again, to keep it to brass tacks: “we all know what an obit is”.  Be as stilted as you like.  Sad that the collective herein reached the point where ‘mention of death’ equates to “obituary”.

21 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Why on earth anyone would have had a largely forgotten nondescript 80-yr old guy on their DDP team - even a theme team - is stunning.  An incredible selection imho.  Possibly as incredible as him getting a QO (though it’s Yahoo so generic).

He has gotten Daily Mail and The Independent as well as non Q/O New York Times. 

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@Sir Creep I have to agree with the bolded sentence.  Richard Moll was making is debut in the DDP this year and was a hit.  For comparison, his 'Night Court' castmate and former alcoholic John Larroquette has appeared four times (2020, 2017, 2016, 2015).

Yeah, why would you have an 80-year-old on your team?

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Guardian Obituary for Alan JW Bell, TV producer and director for Last Of The Summer Wine: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/oct/31/alan-jw-bell-obituary

Also Call My Bluff, Ripping Yarns and Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0068007/

Cross-posting Alan JW Bell QO.