heiheiheihei

King Constantine II of Greece

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

His death could be crossposted in the Olympic thread, as he won Olympic sailing gold in 1960.

I didn't know that.   He could have won me the Scavenger Hunt 4 if it was still going!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

83 would be pretty young for a European Royal, wouldn't it? They all now seem to reach ages of 85 and older. 

How come 83 is a young age to die? I always thought it was a good innings

14 minutes ago, tiagosccarvalho said:

How come 83 is a young age to die? I always thought it was a good innings

Indeed it is a good innings. I would argue 75 or above is a good innings. Only under 70 is a young age to die IMO. 

I wonder if King Charles will go to the funeral as they were close.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think Constantine was one of William's godfathers.

• Like 2

Just now, Toast said:

I think Constantine was one of William's godfathers.

He was and that fact leads Sky’s obituary of him. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

His death could be crossposted in the Olympic thread, as he won Olympic sailing gold in 1960.

He won gold in sailing, Dragon class, in which 3 athletes competed on the boat, this class was disputed between 48 and 72 and he was the oldest living champion of it, a position that passes to the Danish Ole Poulsen, champion in 64, he has 81 years old
He was the 62nd to die of the 81 athletes enrolled in this modality in 1960

• Like 2

Glad I eventually picked him, close one

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Well, HIS dad was a frigging Greek, so almost certain.

11 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Indeed it is a good innings. I would argue 75 or above is a good innings. Only under 70 is a young age to die IMO. 

I would consider 80+ to be a good innings but 75 isn't absurdly young 

Number 3 for me. That’ll be it until August now. :D

• Like 2

Just to explain what I meant with the list age, nowadays every european monarch seems to reach 90 or get close to it.

While I didn't systematically check it, he might be the youngest monarch to die since King Baudoin of Belgium?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Just to explain what I meant with the list age, nowadays every european monarch seems to reach 90 or get close to it.

While I didn't systematically check it, he might be the youngest monarch to die since King Baudoin of Belgium?

I was reminded of Prince Rainier of Monaco after he was mentioned upthread, and he died at 81 in 2005.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

King Hussain of Jordan was 63 when he died in 1999.

• Like 1

Neither Rainier nor Hussain are part of the ...uhh... European interbreeding bunch of families though.

Just look at all the usual families, Simeon of Bulgaria, King Michael of Romania, all the recently deceased or still living scandinavian monarchs. I kind of think that the breeding problem (+ the best health care money can buy and having a pretty stress-free life) helped with their life expectancy.

• Like 1

Compare to the Asian and African monarchs - Has anyone else made it to 90 in the last 30 or 100 years expect eternal Jamshid of Zanzibar, Saudi King Abdullah and Kuwait's Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah? Lots of them have died before 70. Some of those families do have some longevity however. Imagine if Kuwait's old fat (please don't sue me) Sheikh Salem would've won the power struggles around sixty years ago...And probably half of Japan's royal family is over 85 at this point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Neither Rainier nor Hussain are part of the ...uhh... European interbreeding bunch of families though.

Just look at all the usual families, Simeon of Bulgaria, King Michael of Romania, all the recently deceased or still living scandinavian monarchs. I kind of think that the breeding problem (+ the best health care money can buy and having a pretty stress-free life) helped with their life expectancy.

Monaco is European so Rainier counts. Hussain doesn't, if you're going to be all racist about it... ;)

• Like 1