Death Impends

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2023

I have all of these teams entered. If you do not see your name here and you had either PMed me your team or posted it inthread BEFORE this post, please let me know:

1. An Fear Beag

2. arghton

3. BabyBlue

4. Banana

5. Book

6. BuffaloPhil

7. CalebH

8. CaptainChorizo

9. Charles De Gaulle

10. chilean way

11. Clarence

12. Death Impends

13. DeathBecomesThem

14. DeathByArsenic

15. DevonDeathTrip

16. diego

17. drol

18. Etushispushingupdaisies

19. Famous6Eva

20. Funeralopolis

21. gcreptile

22. Gooseberry Crumble

23. Great Uncle Bulgaria

24. GuyFromFuture

25. Hell

26. JoeMoneypenny

27. Joey Russ

28. John "요한" Sulu

29. John Key

30. justonecornetto

31. LizLemon

32. Lord Fellatio Nelson

33. MariNisia

34. markb4

35. maryportfuncity

36. msc

37. Murdoc

38. nantonian2013

39. Pedro67

40. Perhaps

41. RadGuy

42. Sean

43. Thatcher

44. The Old Crem

45. The Unknown Man

46. TheDumbReaper

47. TheKillingTime

48. theoldlady

49. ThereWillBeDeaths7

50. time

51. Toast

52. Torva Messor

53. wannamaker

54. WEP

55. YorkshireBanker

56. Young One

57. YoungWillz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SUBSTITUTIONS

Any teams who still have outstanding substitutions to carry out have until 23:59 GMT on January 2nd to give me information on new names to put in their teams. Once that deadline is crossed, all survivors below the relevant deceased name will be bumped up one by default, and the team will not be playing at the full barrel of 10 main picks and 2 subs.

The following teams still haven't gotten back to me on Pele: @Charles De Gaulle

The following teams still need to sort out Pope Benedict XVI: @Clarence @BabyBlue @Charles De Gaulle @Young One @YorkshireBanker

@nantonian2013 needs to sort out Jeremiah Green.

Plus several PMed teams who I reached out to in the appropriate PM.

If any of you listed did reach out to me, I apologize given it's understandably been a very hectic period. Just make sure to remind me of what your team adjustments are.

Edited by Death Impends
Several sorted teams removed
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Man said:

I'll take Randy Jackson (b. 1956) as my sub to replace Pele.

Will that be at the bottom of your team or somewhere else? As Jackson is promoted from your subs bench you can now select a new name for your second sub.

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Will that be at the bottom of your team or somewhere else? As Jackson is promoted from your subs bench you can now select a new name for your second sub.

Jackson will be at the bottom position. I'll take Kate Keltie as my second sub.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Unknown Man said:

Jackson will be at the bottom position. I'll take Kate Keltie as my second sub.

Keltie is already on your team:

Kate Keltie

Gianluca Vialli

Roberta Flack

Jonnie Irwin

Giorgio Napolitano

George Alagiah

Ted Kaczynski

Isabel Peron

Andy Taylor

Randy Jackson

SUBS

Shane MacGowan

[currently empty]

@Death Impends I would like to keep it simple and move everyone up one, including my subs. My new list would be;

1. Rolf Harris
  2. Randy Jackson 
  3. Anastasia Zavorotnyuk 
  4. Frank Field
  5. George Alagiah
  6. Ted Kaczynski
  7. Rowshan Ershad
  8. Andy Taylor
  9. David J. Linden
  10. Jonnie Irwin

Rhod Gilbert

Hope that fits with this, let me know if there's anything else for me to do. So many big deaths at the end of 2022 made Deathlist competitions a bit harder! 

1 minute ago, John Key said:

@Death Impends I would like to keep it simple and move everyone up one, including my subs. My new list would be;

1. Rolf Harris
  2. Randy Jackson 
  3. Anastasia Zavorotnyuk 
  4. Frank Field
  5. George Alagiah
  6. Ted Kaczynski
  7. Rowshan Ershad
  8. Andy Taylor
  9. David J. Linden
  10. Jonnie Irwin

Rhod Gilbert

Hope that fits with this, let me know if there's anything else for me to do. So many big deaths at the end of 2022 made Deathlist competitions a bit harder! 

Got it. You are also allowed to add a new name to your subs bench (as subs can still score points).

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Keltie is already on your team:

Kate Keltie

Gianluca Vialli

Roberta Flack

Jonnie Irwin

Giorgio Napolitano

George Alagiah

Ted Kaczynski

Isabel Peron

Andy Taylor

Randy Jackson

SUBS

Shane MacGowan

[currently empty]

I'll take Rolf Harris as by second sub then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Got it. You are also allowed to add a new name to your subs bench (as subs can still score points).

OH, you got me - I'll definitely add in another sub. 

For integrities sake, the next person on my regular list is James whale. 

1. Rolf Harris
  2. Randy Jackson 
  3. Anastasia Zavorotnyuk 
  4. Frank Field
  5. George Alagiah
  6. Ted Kaczynski
  7. Rowshan Ershad
  8. Andy Taylor
  9. David J. Linden
  10. Jonnie Irwin

Rhod Gilbert

James Whale

^ my new list would be like that with James Whale as my second sub

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Death Impends said:

SUBSTITUTIONS

Any teams who still have outstanding substitutions to carry out have until 23:59 GMT on January 2nd to give me information on new names to put in their teams. Once that deadline is crossed, all survivors below the relevant deceased name will be bumped up one by default, and the team will not be playing at the full barrel of 10 main picks and 2 subs.

The following teams still haven't gotten back to me on Pele: @Charles De Gaulle

The following teams still need to sort out Pope Benedict XVI: @Clarence @BabyBlue @Charles De Gaulle @Young One @YorkshireBanker

@nantonian2013 needs to sort out Jeremiah Green.

Plus several PMed teams who I reached out to in the appropriate PM.

If any of you listed did reach out to me, I apologize given it's understandably been a very hectic period. Just make sure to remind me of what your team adjustments are.

Princess Bajrakitiyabha promoted from subs bench to Pope's spot on the main steam

*back up  back up's *Queen Sirikit and *Jango Edwards to replace Princess and Pele on subs bench

• Like 1

Friendly PMs have been sent to those who I'm still waiting to hear back on subs. After the clock strikes midnight, anyone who doesn't respond will see everyone on their team below Pele/Benny/Green moved up one, and I will work on posting the masterlist of picks and teams, and hopefully hammer out the inaugural scoreboard for all the consolation points + Frank McGarvey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Friendly PMs have been sent to those who I'm still waiting to hear back on subs. After the clock strikes midnight, anyone who doesn't respond will see everyone on their team below Pele/Benny/Green moved up one, and I will work on posting the masterlist of picks and teams, and hopefully hammer out the inaugural scoreboard for all the consolation points + Frank McGarvey.

Everyone on main list move up a spot
Menotti from subs bench move to 10
add sub Gianluca Vialli

• Like 1

The deadline for consulting with me about your subs has passed. Only one team (Clarence) did not get back to me in time.

With that all of the picks and teams can be seen on page one. No teams mentioned next to each pick on the pick masterlist yet. Not sure if I'll have the time for that with all that's on my plate.

Without further ado, a first scoreboard.

I think this is all of the condolence points. If you had one of the names below at time of submission and don't see your name on the list please let me know.

Pele condolence points of 0.82 go to CalebH, Charles De Gaulle, chilean way, Clarence, DeathBecomesThem, diego, drol, Funeralopolis, GreatUncleBulgaria, GuyFromFuture, Joey Russ, LizLemon, msc, Murdoc, nantonian2013, RadGuy, Sean, The Unknown Man, ThereWillBeDeaths7, and YorkshireBanker.

Barbara Walters condolence points of 0.93 go to LizLemon and RadGuy.

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI condolence points of 0.95 go to An Fear Beag, BabyBlue, BuffaloPhil, Charles De Gaulle, Clarence, DeathBecomesThem, drol, gcreptile, GreatUncleBulgaria, John Key, justonecornetto, LizLemon, markb4, msc, Perhaps, RadGuy, The Old Crem, TheDumbReaper, Toast, and YorkshireBanker.

Jeremiah Green condolence points of 0.45 go to Etushispushingupdaisies and nantonian2013.

And, in a stunning departure for this update, someone who actually lingered into the new year, if by mere hours. Pancan-addled Scottish footballer Frank McGarvey was picked by six teams, meaning we well and truly have a game. A classic case of a "he was going to die at some point in 2023, but when in 2023?", his selectors were varied in their placements:

justonecornetto scores 45 points.

msc 40.

drol 35.

RadGuy 20.

Book 15.

and Banana hits his first sub for 25.

And so we are off. Although only the McGarvey pickers have anything substantial by way of points, that year-end insanity means almost half of the 57 teams are on the board in some form!

justonecornetto

msc

drol

Banana

RadGuy

Book

LizLemon

=8.

Charles De Gaulle

=8.

Clarence

=8.

DeathBecomesThem

=8.

Great Uncle Bulgaria

=8.

YorkshireBanker

Etushispushingupdaisies

nantonian2013

=15.

An Fear Beag

=15.

BabyBlue

=15.

BuffaloPhil

=15.

Funeralopolis

=15.

gcreptile

=15.

John Key

=15.

markb4

=15.

Perhaps

=15.

The Old Crem

=15.

TheDumbReaper

=15.

Toast

=15.

wannamaker

=27.

CalebH

=27.

chilean way

=27.

diego

=27.

GuyFromFuture

=27.

Joey Russ

=27.

Murdoc

=27.

Sean

=27.

The Unknown Man

=27.

ThereWillBeDeaths7

=36.

Everyone else

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks DI it's a good feeling to get off to a table topping start :)

• Like 1

Oh, this will be *fun*.

• Like 2

Dick Savitt, reportedly dead as of 6 January 2023,  is my ranked seventh entry for Hartlepool Deadlypool 2023, and a solo from the looks of it.

Should have an update over the next few days. Believe the hits since the last update are Elena Huelva, Dick Savitt, Gianluca Vialli, Bernard Kalb, King Constantine, Natalie Fornasier, Gina Lollobrigida, Lucile Randon, and I just saw that Spanish economist Juan Velarde Fuertes died and got an El Pais obit.

• Like 2

Getting the update out of the way now. First off, Elena Huelva. Sigh. She was Banana's second sub and has a base 50 points. But also rejected from the DDP as her social media following, though large, predicated on being ill. Thus I am applying a penalty of 30 points so the gain is only 20.

Up next was tennis star Dick Savitt whose death sees Torva Messor serve the little yellow ball onto the HPDP court and score her first points of the season. She gains 28 points (20 base + 8 bonus).

Savitt was overshadowed by another demise that day, however. Italy football great Gianluca Vialli was the second-most-popular pick of the entire pool. The part of the Pele/Benny squad of "please make 2023" who actually made it, he naturally was placed high on most teams.

An Fear Beag, Banana, CaptainChorizo, chilean way, diego, Famous6Eva, gcreptile, JoeMoneypenny, LizLemon, MariNisia, maryportfuncity, nantonian2013, Perhaps, Sean, Thatcher, TheDumbReaper, ThereWillBeDeaths7, wannamaker all get 50 points.

DeathBecomesThem, drol, Funeralopolis, Hell, justonecornetto, msc, RadGuy, The Unknown Man 45.

Toast 40.

Book, BuffaloPhil, Clarence, Pedro67, and theoldlady 35.

The Old Crem 30.

BabyBlue and Charles de Gaulle a first sub hit for 25.

Back to the low-key unique with US journalist Bernard Kalb. A unique for John "요한" Sulu who made 100 but didn't make 101, Sulu beams up 56 points (40 base + 16 bonus).

King Constantine II was moderately popular with 5 teams picking him though a bit of a Greece-y spoon as most of them were banking on him as a later-year death. wannamaker gains 15 points, Young One 10, Murdoc 5, and diego and Etushispushingupdaisies both get their first sub points for 25.

Natalie Fornasier. Another sigh. Again, she was rejected for DDP so instant penalty. Banana had her as a unique so the pre-penalty total is 56 (40 base + 16 bonus) but I will be subtracting 36 points from that so he only gains 20 points.

A little more famous is Italian screen diva Gina Lollobrigida. Surprisingly not picked on any previous HPDPs under my watch, the lucky timing for BabyBlue benefits them by 35 points (25 base + 10 bonus).

IIRC Kane Tanaka was a unique hit last year. Double checking, yes, she was. History repeats itself with the WOP unique once more. BuffaloPhil cloistered alone in picking 118-year-old French nun Lucile Randon, and is rewarded with 49 points (35 base + 14 bonus).

Spanish economist Juan Velarde Fuertes is now Juan Velarde Muertes. No doubt we will look back on 2023 as the year this towering figure died. At any rate one individual who was invested in this guy was WEP, whose eclectic mix is on the board with 49 points (35 base + 14 bonus).

And thus here is the second scoreboard, with all but nine teams all off the mark now. Defending champion Banana sees himself perched atop once again, however the FFBI penalties keep it close while we're still in the early days.

Banana

justonecornetto

msc

BuffaloPhil

drol

diego

RadGuy

wannamaker

BabyBlue

John "요한" Sulu

LizLemon

nantonian2013

=13.

An Fear Beag

=13.

gcreptile

=13.

Perhaps

=13.

TheDumbReaper

=17.

chilean way

=17.

Sean

=17.

ThereWillBeDeaths7

=20.

Book

=20.

CaptainChorizo

=20.

Famous6Eva

=20.

JoeMoneypenny

=20.

MariNisia

=20.

maryportfuncity

=20.

Thatcher

WEP

DeathBecomesThem

Funeralopolis

The Unknown Man

Hell

Toast

Clarence

=34.

Pedro67

=34.

theoldlady

The Old Crem

Torva Messor

Charles De Gaulle

Etushispushingupdaisies

Young One

Murdoc

=42.

Great Uncle Bulgaria

=42.

YorkshireBanker

=44.

John Key

=44.

markb4

=46.

CalebH

=46.

GuyFromFuture

=46.

Joey Russ

=49.

arghton

=49.

Death Impends

=49.

DeathByArsenic

=49.

DevonDeathTrip

=49.

Gooseberry Crumble

=49.

Lord Fellatio Nelson

=49.

TheKillingTime

=49.

time

=49.

YoungWillz

• Like 9

Tony Marshall is dead, also too early for me, but seemingly unique, at least:

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/tony-marshall-ist-tot-schoene-maid-schlagersaenger-gestorben-a-aff760c3-e111-44af-920e-b299e32294ab

Edit: He died in the evening, so most likely after Tim Lobinger. 

• Like 2