Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

Yeah he'll live for another while longer. I'd anticpate a resignation anytime from September onwards. He'll want to let a some time go by first. I don't expect him to still be the reigning Pope by 2025

• Like 2

Trevor McDonald. 84 this year. Not a top of the list type name (yet) but do think he'd be one of those names worth a punt towards the end of the list 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@gcreptile, is Steyn a 2023 DDP pick out of interest?

Not picked as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Pope resignations were unheard of until Benedict a decade ago. Why is everyone also expecting Francis to resign? Normally Popes just keep going until they pop their clogs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pfm18 said:

Pope resignations were unheard of until Benedict a decade ago. Why is everyone also expecting Francis to resign? Normally Popes just keep going until they pop their clogs. 

Because early in his term as Pope, Francis indicated that he would one day do the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Trevor McDonald. 84 this year. Not a top of the list type name (yet) but do think he'd be one of those names worth a punt towards the end of the list 

And finally, Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, thump!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pfm18 said:

He's indicated several times that he felt he would have a fairly brief tenure and yet he's already coming up on a decade (and, at 86, he's now older than Benedict was when he abdicated). He's also said he felt Benedict "opened a door" for popes to retire instead of carrying on until they drop. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tracy said:

He's indicated several times that he felt he would have a fairly brief tenure and yet he's already coming up on a decade (and, at 86, he's now older than Benedict was when he abdicated). He's also said he felt Benedict "opened a door" for popes to retire instead of carrying on until they drop. 

Lazy bastards. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

What about Marla Gibbs?

She's still been pretty active over the past year or two.  She had a recurring role on Days Of Our Lives, appeared in a couple of episodes of Grey's Anatomy last year, and has a role in the upcoming movie A Snowy Day In Oakland.  Still, at 91, she could certainly prove to be a worthy pick by the start of 2024, assuming she makes it that far.  

• Like 1

Josef Fritzl - 87 - Apparently has dementia and in declining health based on various reports.

26 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Josef Fritzl - 87 - Apparently has dementia and in declining health based on various reports.

I dropped him this year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Betty Boothroyd

Order, Order!

9 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Betty Boothroyd

That's out of order.

Journalists - 

Charles Osgood

Dan Rather

Both in the early 90s now.  

7 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

What about Piper Laurie?

She's up there in years, but any health issues? 

John Lydon's German wife Nora Forster has had Alzheimer's since at least 2018. John is her full time carer when he's not performing.

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

John Lydon's German wife Nora Forster has had Alzheimer's since at least 2018. John is her full time carer when he's not performing.

I’m not sure she would make the DDP threshold. She doesn’t really have any fame except through her husband and late Daughter. So I’m not sure she would be eligible for any pool. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

I’m not sure she would make the DDP threshold. She doesn’t really have any fame except through her husband and late Daughter. So I’m not sure she would be eligible for any pool. 

“And we don’t caaaaaaare”.

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She was a music promoter and heiress so she easily qualifies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

She was a music promoter and heiress so she easily qualifies.

Maybe. The committee seem strict on those type of picks.

She was accepted last year.

We already ruled on her for 2022 as she was picked then and she was an unanimous yes.

• Like 3