Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

Iconic lebanese singer and actress Fairuz turns 89 this year. One to Watch. 

9FBD702D-4C53-49EF-AE34-782420701CE9.jpeg

• Like 3

Some folks turning/have already turned 90 this year

Amartya Sen - Diagnosed with throat/oral cancer and given an 15% survival in 1952. The radiation he got during the treatment had severe effect on his bones and in 1971 he suffered severe bone necrosis. In 2018 he had prostate cancer and was still undergoing radiation therapy in 2020. Also has been decrepit for years now. 

William Kahan - Computer scientist looking more and more frail

Cormac McCarthy - I tend to forget he's still alive.

Bill Hayden - Former GovGen of Australia. Suffered a massive stroke in 2014 that put him into hospital for more than seven months and suffering from complications since.

Ben Nighthorse Campbell - US politician who retired in 2004 due to prostate cancer and other ailments. 

Itzhak Fintzi - Bulgarian actor who seems to live in poverty but in local news a lot. Looks frail

H. D. Deve Gowda - Former Indian Prime Minister who has had covid twice and suffered from some unknown ailment that made him look half dead around mid-2022. Recovered mysteriously.

Rubén Darío Paredes - Panama military dictator who was born before and came before Manuel Noriega. Also a bit fat.

Abel Pacheco - Former Costa Rica president. History of heart problems.

Paul Biya - Demented despot.

T. Cullen Davis - Oil heir/murderer. Looked pretty frail already in 2016.

Philip Zimbardo - Stanford prison experiment guy. Doesn't look very great.

Ilia II of Georgia - respected religious leader of Georgia (country) Suffering from parkinson's for more than a decade, heart ailments, everything! They even tried to kill him because he's dying too slowly.

Bertram Turetzky - Ancient contrabass master

Rein Taagepera - a bit frail but hasn't been mentioned here in eight years.

Bob Cole - Canada's hockey announcer, allegedly suffering from dementia

I have done my annual trawl of the DDP picks vs my own longlist and have a list of 21 names that were not picked all of whom are at least 90 this year

1.       Gloria Whelan (b.1923) – Writer

2.       Timothy Dudley-Smith (b.1926) – Former Bishop & Hymn Writer

3.       Valdus Adamkus (b.1926) – Politician

4.       Margaret Stuart-Barry (b.1927) – Writer

5.       William Smithers (b.1927) – Actor

6.       Hans Blix (b.1928) – Weapons Inspector

7.       Peter Easterby (b.1929) – Horse Trainer

8.       Joy Whitby (b.1930) – TV Producer

9.       Larry Merchant (b.1931) – Boxing Commentator

10.   Caroline Graham (b.1931) – Writer

11.   Maurice Gee (b.1931) – Writer

12.   Katherine Paterson (b.1932) – Writer

13.   Roy Lynk (b.1932) - Scabby Scummy Bastard Union Leader

14.   Jeremy Isaacs (b.1932) – Media Executive

15.   Alf Dubs (b.1932) – Politician

16.   Shirley Conran (b.1932) – Writer

17.   Yuri Organessian (b.1933) – Scientist

18.   Johnathan Gash (b.1933) – Writer

19.   Michael Frayn (b.1933) – Writer

20.   Sylvia Engdahl  (b.1933) - Writer

I am not saying these would be better picks and my areas of interest are quite clear from the names selected

I lost a lot of data last year so my list of those names that has not been picked for eight years of so is gone but I might be able to update last year's top 20

All of these would be good 20/20+3 names

• Like 1

Always surprised that Hans Blix never appeared on the DL, but again maybe he falls foul of the "nobody who found fame after 1992" rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Always surprised that Hans Blix never appeared on the DL, but again maybe he falls foul of the "nobody who found fame after 1992" rule.

He’s already dead… Kim fed him to his sharks.

https://youtu.be/UIPSvIz9NDs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I have done my annual trawl of the DDP picks vs my own longlist and have a list of 22 names that were not picked all of whom are at least 90 this year

19.   Quincey Jones (b.1933) – Music Producer

On 10 teams actually.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

On 10 teams actually.

Thanks

Probably got lost in a mass of Joneses

I will edit my list

actually watching La Piscine with Alain Delon and Romy Schneider for the first time, I discovered a few cast members still alive (in addition to the obvious Alain Delon and Jane Birkin who, as mentioned elsewhere, had a stroke one or two years ago)

• Paul Laffargue (b. 1925) : decorator 

• Jean Emmanuel Conil (b. 1929) : scripwriter 

• Alan Bergman (b. 1925) : musician 

• Maddly Bamy (b. 1943) : actress 

• Jean Marie Perrier (b. 1942) : photographer

• Like 1

Chabelo, Mexican actor and entertainer who the Mexican press call "Immortal", clinically died twice in the 1990s, was in a serious car accident in 2008, survived a fall and agressive metastatic gastrointestinal cancer last year, suffering from some kind of a nervous system disorder that affects his limbs and is also rumored to suffer from dementia. Also rumored dead multiple times. 88 this month.

Survivors from OoO's list in Ideas & Possibilities - The Names (2006) with descriptions used

A

Steven Adler (1965) has had 2 strokes, a h/a & has a long standing drugs habit, and has been quite ill lately.

B

Bob Barker (1923-2023) US  game show host. Slight chance of no obit, but I expect he will get at least a BBC mention. B. 1923 - health problems in recent  years, include 4 strokes & prostate surgery. But has come through okay each time & now retired.

E

Joseph Estrada (1937) Phillippine ex-President, possibly facing the death sentence. Currently still under house arrest.

F

Louis Farrakhan (1933) US religious leader, now possibly suffering from cancer. Whatever the truth is, he's not a well chap.

G

Terri Garr (1944) Has had MS for yrs & possibly the "Gene Wilder Curse" too...

Brian Glanville (1931) Now quite wizened, he smokes a lot & likes his wine. There's a general impression by BG & many others, he's already lived too long.

H

John Hogan (?) UK father who killed his son, tried to kill his daughter and himself in a suicide attempt on holiday. Not famous at all, but the publicity surrounding the tragedies mean if he did kill himself in his cell, he might well get a UK obit.

K

Joan Kennedy (1936) ex-wife of Ted Kennedy. Fighting breast cancer (successfully) & alcoholism (unsuccessfully). Obit not 100% guaranteed, but she is a (ex) Kennedy, after all.

L

Greg Louganis (1960) legendary diver. Has full-blown AIDS, and has since 1998. 

M

Shane MacGowan (1957-2023) Pogues frontman, who is just as famous for his hard living as his music. Now bloated, pale, on all drugs bar heroin, no teeth and is an alcoholic. And yet Kirsty McColl died first....

N

Hassan Nasrallah (1960) head of Hezbollah. Need I say more?

O

Paul O'Grady (1955-2023) recently had his second heart-attack. b. 1955. Lifelong smoker.

Teodoro Obiang Nguema (1942) Pres of Eq. Guinea, has prostate cancer and heart problems, and may stand down soon.

S

Shih Ming Teh (1941-2024) Taiwanese politican, b. 1941, has liver cancer. May get UK obit, probably in the Guardian if nowhere else.

Debra Shipley (1957) former Labour MP, battling breast cancer.

15 survivors out of a very long list of names and most of them still good pool picks. 

• Like 3

Glanville has all but retired now so I don't think he's long for the world.

37 minutes ago, arghton said:

Bob Barker (1923) US  game show host. Slight chance of no obit, but I expect he will get at least a BBC mention.

won't Barker score a UK obit when he goes ?

11 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

won't Barker score a UK obit when he goes ?

Yes.Wont get one on all sites but a fair few.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

damn ! I thought he would be a big death outside of the US. I guess he's really a US-centric celeb

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

If he makes 100, which is not impossible, it might add to his fame and earn him a few more obits outside the US.

I actually surveyed European users recently on Barker on another site I run, mostly because he's in the deadpool there too. Almost all of them knew who he was (game show guy, fought Adam Sandler, played himself on Futurama/Family Guy/HIMYM/SpongeBob and such). Did the same with Lear and got mostly blank stares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Barker is like Trebek. Their shows didn't appear here, but they've shown up in enough American pop culture which did for folk of a certain age to know of them. Eg, Trebek was in the X-Files, Barker in Happy Gilmore. Both made WWE appearances. Trebek got a BBC obit and so will Barker.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

damn ! I thought he would be a big death outside of the US. I guess he's really a US-centric celeb

He is US centric but will get a fair amount of coverage over here just not universal coverage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Barker is like Trebek. Their shows didn't appear here, but they've shown up in enough American pop culture which did for folk of a certain age to know of them. Eg, Trebek was in the X-Files, Barker in Happy Gilmore. Both made WWE appearances. Trebek got a BBC obit and so will Barker.

I would never bet on the BBC these days though.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I would never bet on the BBC these days though.

More chance a high trender like Barker than most stars of actual BBC shows it seems!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tracy said:

I actually surveyed European users recently on Barker on another site I run, mostly because he's in the deadpool there too. Almost all of them knew who he was (game show guy, fought Adam Sandler, played himself on Futurama/Family Guy/HIMYM/SpongeBob and such). Did the same with Lear and got mostly blank stares. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lear is one of those names though that is known for his work rather than as a  celebrity much like Sam Simon was.I bet most people of a certain age have heard of a lot of his shows.

Barker will get the Mail, Mirror, Sun, Daily Star and Yahoo at a minimum, 

• Like 1

A few people who are turning 89-90-91 this year and who are scarcely mentioned here

• Kim Novac (b. 1933) : hitchock legend

• Ornella Vanoni (b.1934) : italian singer

• Clive Davis (b. 1932) producer

• Jane Goodall (b. 1932) : gorilla's friend

• Carol Burnett (b. 1933) : actress and comedian 

• Dame Edna (b. 1934) : drag queen 

• John Williams (b. 1932) : composer 

• Rita Moreno (b. 1931) : actress legend

• Nadine de Rotschild (b. 1932) : socialite 

• Costa Gavras (b. 1933) : screenwriter and director

• Claude Zidi (b. 1934)  screenwriter and director

• Nadine Trintignant (b. 1934) : screenwriter and director

• Jean Paul Rappeneau (b. 1932) screenwriter and director

I think they would be famous enough to be included into the official list (or at least your personal one). 

Ion Illiescu (b.1930) and John Stafford (b. 1930) are not mentioned enough here also. 

• Like 3

I could see Kim Novak,  Clive Davis, Jane Goodall, Carol Burnett, Barry Humphries, John Williams and Rita Moreno on future lists but I’m not sure the rest are famous enough. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I’m not sure the rest are famous enough. 

Costa-Gavras is definitely famous enough, he made Z! Whether he gets picked, given the general lack of interest they seem to have in filmmakers, is another story.

17 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I could see Kim Novak,  Clive Davis, Jane Goodall, Carol Burnett, Barry Humphries, John Williams and Rita Moreno on future lists but I’m not sure the rest are famous enough. 

That doesn't usually stop them from picking names. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1