Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

Within the last 10 years (2014 - 2023) there was an Oscar winning actress (Leading Actress, Supporting Actress, Honorary Award) on every DeathList :

2023 Joanne Woodward (Leading)

2022 Angela Lansbury (Honorary)

2021 Angela Lansbury

Joanne Woodward

Vanessa Redgrave (Supporting)

2020 Olivia de Havilland (2x Leading)

Angela Lansbury

Joanne Woodward

2019 Olivia de Havilland

Vanessa Redgrave

2018 Olivia de Havilland

2017 Olivia de Havilland

2016 Olivia de Havilland

2015 Olivia de Havilland

Maureen O'Hara (Honorary)

2014 Luise Rainer (2x Leading)

Olivia de Havilland

Lauren Bacall (Honorary)

So which Oscar winning actress could be on next year's list if Joanne Woodward would die this year ?

Here is a list of the most likely choices because of age or health reasons:

Eva Marie Saint *1924, Supporting

Lee Grant *1925, Supporting

Estelle Parsons *1927, Supporting

Gena Rowlands *1930, Honorary

Rita Moreno *1931, Supporting

Ellen Burstyn *1932, Leading

Shirley Jones *1934, Supporting

Shirley MacLaine *1934, Leading

Sophia Loren *1934, Leading

Judi Dench *1934, Supporting

Maggie Smith *1934, Leading and Supporting

Julie Andrews *1935, Leading

Glenda Jackson *1936, 2x Leading

Jane Fonda *1937, 2x Leading

Liza Minnelli *1946, Leading

Liza with a Z would be the only re-entry, the others would be newbies on the list.

• Like 13

still think it was a bad choice to not bring back Liza with a Z. 

Also, if they were interested Eva Marie Saint, I think they'd already put her in. The ones I can see on the list are  Loren, Dench, Andrews and Jackson. I feel like Parsons could surprise us and appear at some point, this is the kind of more obscure pick they go for sometimes (remember Estelle Harris). Also, I don't think they're interested in MacLaine or Maggie Smith, they could have put them already… 

• Like 2

Smith and MacLaine are only in their late 80s and seem pretty active. Why would they have already been added to the list?

I think Moreno, Burstyn, and Loren are high profile enough to appear soon enough, although none of them seem unhealthy. Doubt they'll ever go for Saint or Grant at this rate. I feel like Estelle Harris only made the list because Stiller also did so I'm not sure I'd classify her as completely random.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tracy said:

Smith and MacLaine are only in their late 80s and seem pretty active. Why would they have already been added to the list?

I think Moreno, Burstyn, and Loren are high profile enough to appear soon enough, although none of them seem unhealthy. Doubt they'll ever go for Saint or Grant at this rate. I feel like Estelle Harris only made the list because Stiller also did so I'm not sure I'd classify her as completely random.

No I agree, she wasn’t random but I mean, I can’t figure out why they put her on the list. This isn’t usually the Kind of picks they care for and how can they justify they choice of Harris over Liz Sheridan ? Either put them both because you love Seinfeld or don’t put any of them. There was sicker and more A-listy actresses out there (nichelle Nichols and Monica Vitti to only quote 2) 

• Like 1

Harris got a BBC obituary (probably because of Toy Story) and Sheridan didn't, so I think it's fair to say she was the more high-profile of the pair. Unless you're a big fan of ALF.

• Like 2

A letter in today's Guardian pays tribute to the chess columnist Leonard Barden - he's not dead, and might be going anywhere for a while, but I was surprised to find he's in his 90s. He'll be 94 in August, and eminently obitable.

• Like 3

Germaine Greer - Australian outspoken feminist. She will be 85 next year and she is in a care home. Link behind a paywall but she describes it as being an inmate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading on Shecky Greene, impressive he's made it to 97. Sarcoma of the ribs in 1976 that resulted in the removal of three ribs, cancer, hip transplant, throat surgery in the 1990s, manic depression, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, gambling addiction, severe alcoholism (and atleast one drunken car crash), drug addiction (nardil, SPAM and other benzos), total hip replacement around 2002, leg fracture in 2017 and other stuff. Someone on Facebook says he's still in good spirits.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, arghton said:

Reading on Shecky Greene, impressive he's made it to 97. Sarcoma of the ribs in 1976 that resulted in the removal of three ribs, cancer, hip transplant, throat surgery in the 1990s, manic depression, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, gambling addiction, severe alcoholism (and atleast one drunken car crash), drug addiction (nardil, SPAM and other benzos), total hip replacement around 2002, leg fracture in 2017 and other stuff. Someone on Facebook says he's still in good spirits.

Reminds me of the old joke about the dog named Lucky.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Edouard Balladur would be a great contender for the official list

We'll see, he didn't look that bad last year - compared to Giscard at the same age for example

• Like 1

legendary designer Bob Mackie turned 83 some weeks ago. Definitely famous enough to be on the list. Looked a little frail at the RuPaul’s drag race finale this week end. 

on a side note, a cameo of Carol Burnett shows that she’s rather in great shape. 

• Like 3

french perfumer Jean Kerléo (wiki) who founded the Osmothèque (a museum of perfume) in Versailles and worked for Jean Patou is still alive at 91. A niche name but I'm currently doing a thesis on perfume and tried to get in contact with him for my researches. Quite a brillant person though. 

• Like 2

have thought about adding the actors of 2001 Odysea in the space
Keir Dullea (1936)
Gary Lockwood (1937)
They are close to 90 and the last photos of Gary Lockwood do not look good in health

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 17:52, Captain Hemlock said:

Michigan congressman Dan Kildee has been diagnosed with cancer.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/31/politics/dan-kildee-cancer

He had surgery. It's squamous cell carcinoma and it was found on his tonsil:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3956004-rep-dan-kildee-undergoes-cancer-surgery/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

He had surgery. It's squamous cell carcinoma and it was found on his tonsil:

:( Our dog had that. It wasn't operable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 08/04/2023 at 14:54, arghton said:

I have a question for you. When you posted this, did you actually type the word 'SPAM' in the text or did you type in the name of a drug. I ask because I just tried posting an item with names of two drugs and it posted with the substituted word 'SPAM'. (Or am I the only one seeing this?)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

I have a question for you. When you posted this, did you actually type the word 'SPAM' in the text or did you type in the name of a drug. I ask because I just tried posting an item with names of two drugs and it posted with the substituted word 'SPAM'. (Or am I the only one seeing this?)

let me try: SPAM.

yeah the word doesn't work: x.a.n.a.x

• Like 3

Jean Sorel (wiki), french actor who starred as leading role in Belle de Jour along with Catherine Deneuve and Germinal will be 90 next year. Surely famous enough for a qualifying obit right ?

From that movie (which I'm justing watching right now), Genevieve Page (wiki) will turn 96 this year and Françoise Fabian (wiki), 90. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2023 at 01:07, ladyfiona said:

Germaine Greer - Australian outspoken feminist. She will be 85 next year and she is in a care home. Link behind a paywall but she describes it as being an inmate.

Good find.  I had no idea that Germaine Greer is in a care home although  I had noticed she wasn't a  media talking  head in the way she was so regularly not that many years ago.

• Like 2