Paul Bearer

The deaD of 2023

53 minutes ago, six feet blunder said:

For some reason 1990s Belgian all female house music group were called Ian Van Dahl whoever he is

I don't think such a person existed.  Whereas Marshall Tucker did.  That's what I'm looking for - a real person, not otherwise famous, whose name was used in the name of a band, but who wasn't in the band. 

• Like 1

Sigur Ros are named after one of the bandmembers' sister, iirc, but few people outside Iceland would process "Sigur Ros" as a person's name. 

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't think such a person existed.  Whereas Marshall Tucker did.  That's what I'm looking for - a real person, not otherwise famous, whose name was used in the name of a band, but who wasn't in the band. 

Greta van Fleet?
The band name was created when Kyle Hauck heard a relative mention Gretna Van Fleet, a resident of Frankenmuth; their use of the variation on her name was done with her (subsequent) blessing.[11][12] Van Fleet also stated in a later interview that while the band's music is not her type, she supports the band and thinks they are very talented.[13][14]

21 hours ago, Toast said:

Is this the only example of a band named after someone who was not a band member?

The point above about Lynyrd Skynyrd is true - Leonard Skinner, a gym teacher much disliked by some of the band, who weren't exactly keen on gym. 

Jethro Tull was an agriculturalist who invented the seed drill. Tull himself was prevented from  joining the band Jethro Tull by virtue of having died 226 years before they formed. Tull are about to release their 23rd album.

Another British band Capability Brown only lasted two albums and were gone by the end of 1974, their name coming from a British landscape gardener who died in 1783. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Toast said:

Is this the only example of a band named after someone who was not a band member?

I should have phrased this differently. I meant someone who might reasonably have been assumed to be in the band.

I get it, you mean more "The [x] Band" or "The [y] Five", rather than "here is a band named after a boxer from the 30s". Would Lord Rockingham's XI count?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I get it, you mean more "The [x] Band" or "The [y] Five", rather than "here is a band named after a boxer from the 30s". Would Lord Rockingham's XI count?

That's exactly what I mean, cheers Spade. 

Not unless there was a Lord Rockingham at the time.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I should have phrased this differently. I meant someone who might reasonably have been assumed to be in the band.

Alice Cooper. Vincent Furnier changed his name to that after the band split up.

Enough examples now to just accept OP's assumption was incorrect 

CourageousQuickItaliangreyhound-max-1mb.gif

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, j0neseur0 said:

Enough examples now to just accept OP's assumption was incorrect 

CourageousQuickItaliangreyhound-max-1mb.gif

B,b,but...does that mean Molly Hatchet (allegedly named after a prostitute prone to maiming and - possibly - decapitating clients) doesn't get named?

Ooh aye, and...Mookie Blaylock (basically named after a successful basketball player who could - theoretically - have joined them onstage) made their live debut supporting Alice in Chains. Changed their name soon after to Pearl Jam.

44 minutes ago, heiheiheihei said:

The Yardbirds founding guitarist, Anthony Topham dead at 75. 

Oh, crumbs.

Are we getting less notable deaths than normal for January. There has only been a few deaths in the last couple of weeks of people I’ve heard of before. 

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Are we getting less notable deaths than normal for January. There has only been a few deaths in the last couple of weeks of people I’ve heard of before. 

Yes. It's already been pointed out that the Grim Reaper is on his late January holidays. He goes every year and returns at some point in February.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Do you mean fewer notable deaths, or that the people who have died are less notable?  :evil2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Haven’t seen it yet, but Sylvia Syms had died. 

Edited to say Tom Tom had posted it in the Hollywood possibilities thread.  ( wasn’t aware she was a Hollywood actress)

Edited by Paul Bearer

https://extratv.com/2023/01/29/lisa-loring-original-wednesday-addams-dies/

Just now, Sideik said:

Wikipedia updater be like:

He’s only on IMDb!

• Like 1