Paul Bearer

The deaD of 2023

Hugh Harris, the voice of NASA for more than two decades during his time as public affairs officer with the agency, has died. He was 90. He was known for his Shuttle launch commentary, which included the broadcast of the first space shuttle launch in 1981.

https://www.wuwf.org/florida-news/2023-02-15/the-voice-of-nasa-hugh-harris-has-died

• Like 1

Duangphet Phromthep, one of the youth footballers who was trapped in a Thai cave back in 2018 and briefly captured the world media's attention, has died aged 17 after sustaining a head injury. He was apparently on a football scholarship in the UK.

8 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Hugh Harris, the voice of NASA for more than two decades during his time as public affairs officer with the agency, has died. He was 90. He was known for his Shuttle launch commentary, which included the broadcast of the first space shuttle launch in 1981.

https://www.wuwf.org/florida-news/2023-02-15/the-voice-of-nasa-hugh-harris-has-died

Neighbor of mine mentioned this to me this morning (he works for NASA dealing with spacecraft communications - and has been in the control centre for a number of missions as a result). Didn't have a source to post here then, so thanks for finding one.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2023 at 11:14, The Old Crem said:

The Guardian published the following Other Lives obits in January....

per The Guardian, "Other Lives" obits are for "people less in the public eye, or lives lived beyond formal recognition."

• Like 1

On 26/08/2005 at 16:38, Guest Guest_guest said:

SDLP's first leader Gerry Fitt dies

Lord Fitt, one of Northern Ireland's fiercest critics of the IRA and the first leader of the SDLP, has died.

The 79-year-old peer, who served as MP for West Belfast for 17 years, had been cared for by his daughters in England after a long illness. He had been in declining health for several months and had been suffering from heart trouble.

Gerry Fitt's daughter Eileen Fitt, a TV researcher, editor and sometime producer, reportedly dead: 

• Like 1

South African born British based filmmaker Christopher Nupen, probably best known for his 1969 film of Schubert's The Trout featuring Du Pre, Barenboim and Mehta among others, Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/02/19/christoper-nupen-brilliant-classical-music-film-director-who/

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1824597/

On 17/02/2023 at 12:04, YoungWillz said:

Gerry Fitt's daughter Eileen Fitt, a TV researcher, editor and sometime producer, reportedly dead: 

One of the Miss Fitts 

8 hours ago, Deathrace said:

One of the Miss Fitts 

I guarantee she will Fitt in her coffin.

45 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I guarantee she will Fitt in her coffin.

And that she is going to be six fitt under 

Reports of the death of Charles Foster, best known as a continuity announcer for Granada but also an actor and voice over performer who had appearances In Coronation Street, Brookside, Emmerdale and Crown Court: 

Edit: His wife Meg Johnson is an actress (and current DDP pick) who appeared in many soaps and with Victoria Wood. She will probably be a popular pick from now on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports of the death of Charles Foster, best known as a continuity announcer for Granada but also an actor and voice over performer who had appearances In Coronation Street, Brookside, Emmerdale and Crown Court: 

Edit: His wife Meg Johnson is an actress who appeared in many soaps and with Victoria Wood. She will probably be a popular pick from now on.

I saw posts on another forum a while back saying Meg Johnson is now in a care home. She disappeared from Emmerdale when lockdown happened having looked frail and unwell in her last few appearances 

Nobody reported the death of John Motson?

• Shocked 1

On 17/02/2023 at 12:04, YoungWillz said:

Guardian obit.

They really ought to start giving us some credit.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

A good example of someone who really shouldn’t have a Wiki page.

It looks like it was created by an editor who is looking to level the gender bias on Wikipedia.

An honourable cause but I mean it’s two lines long.

Jesse Gress, guitarist known for working with Todd Rundgren among others has died at 67

18 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Was he related to Princess Di? 

Distantly by marriage but no blood relation. It's all a bit convoluted to explain.

Mind you, we are all related to royalty in some fashion. I myself have several queens in my history. :lol:

• Like 2