Paul Bearer

The deaD of 2023

On 06/03/2023 at 12:59, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Is this that big of a problem? It’s only bumping a thread. If you don’t find those deaths interesting, that’s fine - no user on here is gonna be enthralled by every new post. 

The issue for me is that the person posting the deaths doesn't necessarily find them interesting, either. I would prefer if they posted particular deaths of people they were familiar with prior to reading about them in an obituary, and discuss those people. I want to be made to be interested in what's being posted, rather than having to have been interested prior to clicking. I don't want to have to see a list of names and generate the discussion myself. It's not an issue of being enthralled; I have no idea who Mystic Meg was, but at least people have something to say about her, which I found at least somewhat interesting to read despite having no disposition to care.

Let me randomly pick a name on one of those lists and try and generate some discussion. Well let's see. Michael Sayers, the lawyer, died age 88 apparently. If I Google Michael Sayers, I can not find a single thing about this man to even begin to discuss who he was. The first two results are a Michael Sayers who was moderately famous who died in 2010. The third result for me is a family practice doctor in Lincoln Nebraska, even though I do not live anywhere near Nebraska. The results get more obscure from there. 4th result is a Linkedin of some random sales professional.  Even so, apparently some lawyer who died last month was worth a mention because he appeared in some obituary, despite the fact that I can't find any information about him outside of said obituary. Nah, that guy is NOT enthralling to ANYONE on this site. I don't believe it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Syabda Perkasa Belawa died at the age of 21 in a traffic accident in which his mother also died, and his father is in serious condition, he was a badminton player in Indonesia, being called up for the national team of his country, he won 4 tournaments, 3 in 2022 and 1 in 2023

https://www.suara.com/sport/2023/03/20/114111/ibu-syabda-perkasa-belawa-turut-meninggal-dalam-kecelakaan-ayah-kritis-kakak-dan-adik-luka-luka

Spent 30 minutes mocking the terrible performance of Anna on this week's episode of Mastermind, and then the episode ends with this:

FrsK6c8XgAA-Rnl?format=jpg&name=large

To be fair, they were all pretty terrible tonight, until the winner got all the easy General Knowledge questions.

I saw Anna in her qualifying round, even then I was rather concerned she wouldn't make the semi-final tonight. Bit of a shaker though when that pops up without warning.

55 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Spent 30 minutes mocking the terrible performance of Anna on this week's episode of Mastermind, and then the episode ends with this:

FrsK6c8XgAA-Rnl?format=jpg&name=large

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

To be fair, they were all pretty terrible tonight, until the winner got all the easy General Knowledge questions.

I saw Anna in her qualifying round, even then I was rather concerned she wouldn't make the semi-final tonight. Bit of a shaker though when that pops up without warning.

She was also the author Anna Milford, a friend of Magnus Magnusson. She competed on Mastermind in 1976 but was ill so couldn't make the Semis, so this was her comeback attempt. Oh dear.

• Shocked 1

I wonder if she was invited back with the producers knowing she was maybe terminally ill. 

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Bit of a shaker though when that pops up without warning.

Reminds me of a vaguely viral clip I've been trying to find online but failing. I'm pretty sure it's from the US gameshow Beat Shazam, where the contestant guesses the intro to "Drops of Jupiter" by Train in two seconds, there's massive celebrations on-screen and then it immediately cuts to "Contestant X, 1970-2015" or whatever, but no joy. It's not this guy, I'm pretty sure they were white and it was definitely a few years ago rather than recent. Anyone else remember?

On 20/03/2023 at 21:04, YoungWillz said:

Old ladies are always hopeless at AC/DC albums. 

I'm surprised at how often they let former contestants back, the talent pool must be pretty shallow. Not like 15-1, when you had to wait 57 years for another go, which of course led to the Trevor Montague Debacle (not a free jazz combo).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Old ladies are always hopeless at AC/DC albums. 

I'm surprised at how often they let former contestants back, the talent pool must be pretty shallow. Not like 15-1, when you had to wait 57 years for another go, which of course led to the Trevor Montague Debacle (not a free jazz combo).

Same with Countdown these days.

"So, you were on 14 years ago and how did you get on?" 

"Oh, I got put out first time!"

"Good, well, welcome back for another try, you are up against our Series 17 Champion, also returning for another go."

9 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11885763/The-Chase-contestant-dies-breast-cancer.html
Just last week an episode of the The Chase aired and it now emerges the contestant has died a week after it aired. 

Fringes of fame, at best. And there really is no need to post every death you read about. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, time said:

no need to post every death you read about. 

He spends all day every day tracking them down, then thoughtfully appends the actual language of the site he found them on for our edification. How dedicated do you have to be to run out of English sites?

Stopped paying any real attention a very long time ago. Even abuse is only met with a dispassionate response  - impossible even to wind up for sport, so I gave up. 

46 minutes ago, time said:

Fringes of fame, at best. And there really is no need to post every death you read about. 

I posted it as it fitted in with the recent discussion about game show contestants dying. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I posted it as it fitted in with the recent discussion about game show contestants dying. 

Apart from 'Celebrity' editions, and except for rare occurrences (Major Ingram for example), they're only fringes of fame as well. 

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

He spends all day every day tracking them down, then thoughtfully appends the actual language of the site he found them on for our edification. How dedicated do you have to be to run out of English sites?

TOC’s internet service provider must worry about him.

54 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

1204618995_NoOneCares.thumb.jpg.50b1fadbb0da640611df5c8542b3934c.jpg

• Facepalm 1

tbh Crem posts so many obits now I worry I'm going to wake up one morning and find out he's posted my obit and I've just gone all Sixth Sense and not noticed yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, time said:

Franjas de fama, na melhor das hipóteses. E realmente não há necessidade de postar todas as mortes sobre as quais você lê. 

I think it's interesting, if you don't think so, just ignore it, don't speak for everyone here, after all, this is a forum that serves that purpose, if it's to report only famous deaths, it wouldn't be necessary, because this already appears on the cover of every news site, the interesting thing here are these stories, let him post

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

1204618995_NoOneCares.thumb.jpg.50b1fadbb0da640611df5c8542b3934c.jpg

I care

While the mods are at it with TOC’s avatar, can they please also change Diego’s name to ‘O Velho Crematório’?

2 hours ago, diego said:

I think it's interesting, if you don't think so, just ignore it, don't speak for everyone here, after all, this is a forum that serves that purpose, if it's to report only famous deaths, it wouldn't be necessary, because this already appears on the cover of every news site, the interesting thing here are these stories, let him post

It is not surprising in the slightest that you jump to the defence of someone that posts as much horseshit as you on here. Maybe you two should PM each other all the dogwater posts you love subjecting everyone else to. 

You and Crem should go finger eachother in the back alley of this forum. 

There also needs to be an inquiry as to who taught TOC to crosspost. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

YoungWillz, gcreptile, drol, tracy, Thatcher, arghton, Summer in Transylvania and ladyfiona are my favourite posters on this forum. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, diego said:

I care

It was worth posting for you not to "like" my post.

Is this a first?

• Like 1