Paul Bearer

The deaD of 2023

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Death notice for Raymond Monbiot, father of journalist George Monbiot and a former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/264460/monibot

You'd think the Torygraph would spell his surname right, but...

In full:

MONIBOT

Peacefully at home on 31st May 2023. Raymond Geoffrey CBE, aged 85. Beloved husband of the late Rosalie, loving father to George and Eleanor and the late Katherine. Grandfather to Hanna and Martha. Donations, if desired, to RNLI.

Telegraph and Times don't write the announcements. They're done by an external agency then sent to them.

• Like 2

Astrud Gilberto, the Brazilian singer, songwriter and entertainer whose off-hand, English-language cameo on “The Girl from Ipanema” made her a worldwide voice of bossa nova, has died at age 83.

SC

• Facepalm 1

Stunt performer Dinny Powell, younger brother of Nosher, reported dead via twitter. Aged 90.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, time said:

Stunt performer Dinny Powell, younger brother of Nosher, reported dead via twitter. Aged 90.

In Terror of the Autons he played one of the two Auton policemen. (The one that wasn't Terry Walsh, who did the famous drop down the cliff stunt, but I think Powell was the one the UNIT car accidentally crashed into for real.)

On 06/06/2023 at 00:23, YoungWillz said:

Death notice for Raymond Monbiot, father of journalist George Monbiot and a former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/264460/monibot

You'd think the Torygraph would spell his surname right, but...

In full:

MONIBOT

Peacefully at home on 31st May 2023. Raymond Geoffrey CBE, aged 85. Beloved husband of the late Rosalie, loving father to George and Eleanor and the late Katherine. Grandfather to Hanna and Martha. Donations, if desired, to RNLI.

I recall Raymond Monbiot speaking about how Conservative Party members who knew George Monbiot was his son, used to go up to Raymond and say words to the effect that they were so sorry for his son's politics. To which Raymond told them that although they disagreed on politics, he loved his son and was proud of him. Apparently they got on well which is refreshing given the amount of polarisation about. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

I recall Raymond Monbiot speaking about how Conservative Party members who knew George Monbiot was his son, used to go up to Raymond and say words to the effect that they were so sorry for his son's politics. To which Raymond told them that although they disagreed on politics, he loved his son and was proud of him. Apparently they got on well which is refreshing given the amount of polarisation about. 

Aye, Liz Truss's parents were way to the left of her, her mum campaigned unsuccessfully as a Lib Dem (despite having previously campaigned for her daughter), her dad refused to campaign for his Conservative daughter. Her folks split up years ago. So, not exactly the Mobiots, then

A journalist once mentioned to Tony Benn of all people how disappointing it must be for him that one of Tony's sons was right wing. Benn told them never to disparage his children and wouldn't speak to the journalist for years afterwards. Family trumping politics tends to be the norm I find. Certainly is in my family.

• Like 2

The husband of Diane Jones, whose body was found in a copse in Martlesham almost 40 years ago, has died aged 80.

Dr Robert Jones died several weeks ago at his home in France, according to MailOnline.

His pregnant wife was 35 when she last seen at a pub in her town of Coggeshall in Essex on July 23, 1983, being reported missing nine days later.

Mrs Jones' body was eventually discovered three months after her disappearance in a copse adjacent to the A1093 road at Martlesham. She was found to have a fractured skull, with Suffolk and Essex police launching a joint murder investigation.

The case captured national headlines, but no killer has ever been brought to justice.

SC

Turkish violinist Suna Kan (Wikidead at 86

image.thumb.png.a077978de266aa337fdcf19782369563.png

• Like 1

Prolific crossword setter once popular with @time, Roger Squires reportedly dead: https://www.fifteensquared.net/2023/06/10/roger-squires-rip/

Last picked for the DDP in 2014 I believe @Death Impends, so List of the Missed: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2014/celebs_S.html#squiro

Former actor and magician also, so IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1533093/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not sure where to post this but Lindsay Jarrett who took part in the British Transplant Games and has competed in cycling and also done rock climbing has died.

Seen a few posts on Facebook and the one from Ian Blackford MP is the most reliable. It seems she was a truly inspirational woman.

On 11/06/2023 at 20:31, YoungWillz said:

Prolific crossword setter once popular with @time, Roger Squires reportedly dead: https://www.fifteensquared.net/2023/06/10/roger-squires-rip/

Last picked for the DDP in 2014 I believe @Death Impends, so List of the Missed: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2014/celebs_S.html#squiro

Former actor and magician also, so IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1533093/

Proper obituary for Rufus

Polish Righteous Among the Nations recipient (1998) and Order of Polonia Restituta Third Class, Commander's Cross (2017) Anna Wołowska, who saved Jewish children during WWII, dead at 98.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Diane Rowe was a table tennis player born in Marylebone,(ENG),From 1951 to 1972, she won several medals in singles, doubles and team events at the European Table Tennis Championships and the World Table Tennis Championships. died at age 90 on jun/19.She was the oldest living world champion

Tischtennis-Legende Diane Schöler mit 90 Jahren gestorben (tz.de)

Diane Rowe (1962).jpg

• Like 2

On 13/06/2023 at 16:03, justonecornetto said:

Not sure where to post this but Lindsay Jarrett who took part in the British Transplant Games and has competed in cycling and also done rock climbing has died.

Seen a few posts on Facebook and the one from Ian Blackford MP is the most reliable. It seems she was a truly inspirational woman.

That would be a first! :lol:

• Haha 1

In what I'm sure will be a very exciting newsflash for you, I can exclusively reveal that 1984 "Britain's Strongest Man" Allan Crossley is dead. No source, but trust me on this groundbreaking piece of information.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2023 at 01:22, diego said:

Diane Rowe was a table tennis player born in Marylebone,(ENG),From 1951 to 1972, she won several medals in singles, doubles and team events at the European Table Tennis Championships and the World Table Tennis Championships. died at age 90 on jun/19.She was the oldest living world champion

Tischtennis-Legende Diane Schöler mit 90 Jahren gestorben (tz.de)

Diane Rowe (1962).jpg

I thought that name sounded familiar.  I posted about her twin sister's death eight years ago! 

• Like 3

Billionaire philanthropist James Crown died in a car crash.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

He was 70 but outlived by both of his parents - Lester Crown is 98.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

17 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Sad to hear. My father had fond memories of the Crown family growing up.