Grim Reaper

46. Sonny Rollins

Nice choice, but it makes me wonder how marshall allen never got a place in the list.

He is quite possibly the best new pick on the list with the possible exception of Sakamoto.

Great pick committee!

• Like 1

It just occurred to me could his pulmonary fibrosis be linked to  him being very near ground zero during 9/11? Equally smoking heroin could have done it but an interesting thought.

• Like 1

Going to mention it here as I'll probably forget when it becomes pertinent: Rollins is one of only two people (out of 57) captured in the famous photograph A Great Day In Harlem still alive. The other is Benny Golson, also a DDP pick this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Going to mention it here as I'll probably forget when it becomes pertinent: Rollins is one of only two people (out of 57) captured in the famous photograph A Great Day In Harlem still alive. The other is Benny Golson, also a DDP pick this year.

Last time this was mentioned on here was a decade ago, and there were three then. Collins and Golson have been around for forever.

• Like 2

Sonny Rollins Birthday Broadcast

WKCR completed a 24-hour birthday celebration for Sonny Rollins’ 93rd birthday, broadcast on FM and HD radio and online all day on Thursday, September 7th.

• Like 1

In 1949, Sonny Rollins was one of the five musicians who took part in a Bud Powell recording session for Blue Note, which later appeared on the first side of the album The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 1. Rollins is not the only musician from that session still alive, as drummer Roy Haynes is also still with us. The trumpeter on that session, Fats Navarro, died back in 1950.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Podcast from earlier this year

Sounds much better than expected, members who picked Sonny as the 14th Death of 2023 will be disappointed...

What's the odds that me and 4 others are right about who dies next? (nobody) ^_^

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Sounds much better than expected, members who picked Sonny as the 14th Death of 2023 will be disappointed...

I'm sure they'll be truly, truly gutted. For those who did pick Sonny Rollins in the 14th Death of 2023, Samaritans are always available to help, just call free on 116 123 or visit their website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2