Grim Reaper

Hal Linden

I'll repeat myself: as far as actors in their early 90s go, this seems like a weak pick. Starred in an off-Broadway play last summer, still can walk without aid, travels frequently and clearly isn't senile either. I feel like he'll make 2024.

• Like 2

I've never heard of this guy. His birth name is very interesting though.

The committee LOVES their classic show business picks, a film star preferably with added theatre work. Problem is, these names are disappearing for natural reasons. The 60s are 60 years ago now! 

• Like 1

This pick could easily have been Stacy Keach - younger but with a health history.

I really don't remember Barney Miller much at all - and I thought I was of a similar age to DL committee members.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The committee LOVES their classic show business picks, a film star preferably with added theatre work. Problem is, these names are disappearing for natural reasons. The 60s are 60 years ago now! 

Shame they didn't pick Glynis Johns or Eva Marie Saint who are much older equally famous and no longer active.

• Like 7

Question for the UK folks: How popular is/was the sitcom, Barney Miller, in the UK?

31 minutes ago, markb4 said:

Question for the UK folks: How popular is/was the sitcom, Barney Miller, in the UK?

Don't know.  I never watched it.  

• Like 1

My parents don’t remember it- was it even shown. USA sitcoms were not always shown in the UK in the 1970’s. 

• Like 1

Never heard of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markb4 said:

I'd heard of it when I used to live in the UK, but I don't recall them ever showing an episode on TV. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gcreptile said:

No disrespect to his career,but this is more like the Estelle Harris pick.Someone on the committee had to have been a really big fan of the Show Barney Miller. His notability in the Us is entirely tied to his starring role on this show. All his non theatre credits are guest spot gigs with a few secondary supporting charecter film roles.          That said, I am not down on this pick like others. It is really well written funny show,and his co-stars Abe Vigoda and Jack Soo would have been Meme God's had the internet existed in the 70's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markb4 said:

Not at all, because it was never broadcast here. 

We had 3 channels until '82 when it increased to a massive 4 so there wasn't a great deal of space. At a guess, it simply didn't translate to a uk audience as well as other sitcoms that did make it across the pond.

• Like 1

The incomplete Radio Times archives tell me Hal Linden was a guest star on the Tom Jones Show and The Osmonds Show (the horror) on BBC in the 70s, plus had roles in some oft repeated films. So since they are notoriously incomplete, I'll assume he was sort of the name who you might recall if you were growing up in the 70s and happened to watch the right shows at the right time.

• Like 1

I am from the UK, never heard of Barney Miller or Linden.   A lot of American shows were shown but not this as far as I know.  

ITV regions would show the odd US import comedy as a late night schedule filler. I can't recall Barney Miller turning up in that slot here, but it may have gone out in another part of the country.

I may be wrong (it was a long time ago, early70s) but I'm sure I remember Barney Miller being shown around tea-time.

eta: I'm clearly wrong about the date as it didn't exist in the early 70s. Maybe I'm wrong about it being broadcast at tea-time - it might possibly have been later (maybe a regional opt-out?) Maybe I'm wrong about it being shown at all and I just remember it from seeing it in the USA!

• Like 1

I've never heard of it or him either.

Still, as long as he's famous in the US. I doubt many of our US friends know who Nigel Starmer-Smith is, for example...

• Haha 1

Fairly sure Barney Miller never made it here, but then I suppose I did rather enjoy the pub in the 80s and 90s so if it was at midnight...

Just for the giggle, here are the US sitcoms I can remember, in no particular order. Anyone add any?

Mash - earlier?

Happy Days -started earlier?

Laverne & Shirley - spinoff of the above I think and don't recall it being on much

Taxi

Soap

Diff'rent Strokes

Mork and Mindy

Cheers - later?

Alf - Kids? Don't know never watched it.

Can't think offhand of much else that got here.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Fairly sure Barney Miller never made it here, but then I suppose I did rather enjoy the pub in the 80s and 90s so if it was at midnight...

Just for the giggle, here are the US sitcoms I can remember, in no particular order. Anyone add any?

Mash - earlier?

Laverne & Shirley - spinoff of the above I think and don't recall it being on much

Taxi

Soap

Diff'rent Strokes

Mork and Mindy

Cheers - later?

I used to watch a fair bit of TV in the early 90s when I came home from working late. Usually early morning was stuff like Midnight Caller, Desperado, Highlander (Tv series), Night Court, WKRP Cincinnati 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, En Passant said:

Mash - earlier?

Taxi

Soap

Diff'rent Strokes

Mork and Mindy

Cheers - later?

Did they show The Golden Girls in the UK?  I know that Queen Elizabeth was a big fan, so much so that the main actresses did a live show for her in 1988.  Incidentally, Hal Linden guest starred on an episode of the show.  

10 hours ago, Phantom said:

I used to watch a fair bit of TV in the early 90s when I came home from working late. Usually early morning was stuff like Midnight Caller, Desperado, Highlander (Tv series), Night Court, WKRP Cincinnati 

Hm, now I know some of those were on, but not seen any of them, don't look like sitcoms which was all I was trying to think of earlier as an exhaustive list of US tv shows would be lengthy, well maybe WKRP was? 

16 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Did they show The Golden Girls in the UK?  I know that Queen Elizabeth was a big fan, so much so that the main actresses did a live show for her in 1988.  

Yes they did, saw a few episodes late at night, missed that one when dashing off a quick list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Hm, now I know some of those were on, but not seen any of them, don't look like sitcoms which was all I was trying to think of earlier as an exhaustive list of US tv shows would be lengthy, well maybe WKRP was? 

Yes they did, saw a few episodes late at night, missed that one when dashing off a quick list.

My favorite sitcom ever.  The acting talent and the writing were first-rate, so much so that the episodes still hold up remarkably well today on re-watch, and we're talking about a show that first came on the air almost 40 years ago.  

• Like 1