Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

Zigged when I should have zagged with the 2022 picks regarding who would be kept and who would be dropped. Foolishly, I predicted they'd keep the ones more likely to die, but that's not really the Commitee's usual tactic is it? :lol:

Thought Vialli was a certainty, and Whale's not getting better so why would you take him off? Thought they'd pick Alagiah having picked Turnbull, and having been shrewd enough to know he wouldn't go last year. But maybe they're being shrewd again and he'll see off another year. Hope so, seems a nice fella and is a good journalist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No George Alagiah, no Rhod Gilbert, no James Whale....absolute certainties for 2023. I thought an old Royal such as Duchess of Kent might have been in there too. 

• Like 2

I think some of you over-estimate the amount of research and preparation put into this by the Committee.  :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

When the Committee gets tired of making a decent list, they should give up the job. There are certainly enough people who would be happy to do it.

• Like 2

If Shane can escape the 50 curse 2 years in a row, he will be crowned the second coming of Clive Dunn.

13 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I don’t get it. Where are Whale, Chirac, Vialli, Alagiah, Minnelli, Farrakhan. They seem quite tired of doing it, it seems…

Did you mean Chirac? Unless there's another famous person with that surname Jacques Chirac died over 3 years ago.

I agree the others should have been added/kept.

No Eva Marie Saint this year either. :( Looks like we only have Angie Dickinson in the category of classic film actress. Isn't she in good health for her age?

Surprised but delighted at the additions of Angie Dickinson and Ethel  Kennedy.  An interesting combo in a way given the rumours Angie had dalliance with one or both of the Kennedy brothers including Ethels hubby Bobby Kennedy...

Andy Fairweather Low is on Jools Holland's show tonight but looks and sounds ill, possibly as a result of a stroke.

Surprised but delighted at the additions of Angie Dickinson and Ethel  Kennedy.  An interesting combo in a way given the rumours Angie had dalliance with one or both of the Kennedy brothers including Ethels hubby Bobby Kennedy...

Good to see Tina Turner selected. Can see her going this year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It took me 10 mins to compile a list of 20, it took the 'committee' 5 mins to pick 50.

• Like 1

Silvio Berlusconi & David Attenborough could be huge misses. Have a gut feeling that one of them will be gone this year. Other than that a good list.

I'm not ready to see Tina go yet :(

• Like 1

The committee don’t give a cunt what sort of score they get and it shows dunnit

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Would only argue with dropping Whale and Hurd from that list. 

Not Kaczynski? Doesn't he have some terminal cancer or other?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Would only argue with dropping Whale and Hurd from that list. 

Not Kaczynski? Doesn't he have some terminal cancer or other?

At the risk of being accused of hypocrisy again…a bit old, aren’t they?  

Opinions.

1. DVD - Still a bad pick in my opinion. Looks thin but I think he could live another year or two. Yawn.

2. Henry Kissinger - slowly getting frailer and nobody is actually immortal. Good pick.

3. Bob Barker - perennial coffin tease, of course he's kept, but good pick anyways.

4. Alan Greenspan - "Hasn't been seen in a while"-pick. Not good or bad.

5. Nigel Starmer-Smith - Suprised he's still alive, I doubt he'll live to 2024. Good pick.

6. Jimmy Carter - Of course he's kept, good pick.

7. Tony Bennett - Alzheimer's and 96. Good pick.

8. Dick Cheney - David Crosby type. Mostly bad pick.

9. Harry Belafonte - Very frail in 2021 and as far as I know failed to make an appearance this year. Good pick.

10. Mel Brooks - Not as frail as thought apparently. Mostly bad pick. 

11. Jacques Delors - Said to have been ill or very frail for ages and I have no idea how he's still alive. Good pick.

12. Bobby Charlton - Good-ish pick.

13. Robert Wagner - Rumored very ill and the rumors seem true. Good to see him on the list.

14. Norman Tebbit - either ill or just quite frail, not really sure. Good-ish pick.

15. Rosalynn Carter - Increasingly frail and looking very decrepit. Good pick.

16. Sandy Gall - Is he ill?

17. Joanne Woodward - Good to see her back on the list. Late stage dementia and suprised she's still alive.

18. Ethel Kennedy - Decrepit but I've not heard that she'd be ill. 50/50, could live another few years.

19. Desmond Morris - See Sandy Gall.

20. Stanley Baxter - No idea on his condition.

21. Joss Ackland - Looked ancient the last 30 years and looked half dead in that 2020 video. Good pick.

22. Jean-Marie Le Pen - Looking more and more frail, seemingly wheelchairbound now and usually strokes leave some effects on nonagenarians. Mostly good pick.

23. Milan Kundera - Very ill. Good pick and suprised he isn't dead already. 

24. Cleo Laine - (Still) No idea on her health

25. Alan Alda - Too early. Bad pick. 

26. Prunella Scales - Boringly healthy physically. 50/50

27. Yoko Ono - Ill according to forum posters and reportedly in 24-hour care. Good pick.

28. Norman Lear - Well, 100 years old. However seemingly healthy. Mostly good pick. 

29. Burt Bacharach - Looked very frail in those recent pictures and had a red eye. Good pick.

30. Marianne Faithfull - On oxygen after covid fucked up her lungs and in 24/7 care, right? That's what I heard the last time. Good pick.

31. Angie Dickinson - Not sure.

32. Robert Duvall - Still active. Bad pick. 

33. Imelda Marcos - Fat, 93, prior health issues. Well enough to stand at her son's presidential inauguration. 50/50, but beware of Filipino hitmen.

34. General Pervez Musharraf - wheelchairbound in early 2022, very ill suffering from cardiac amyloidosis. I expect him to die, mostly good pick. 

35. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei - Not really sure what to think about this, but I expected it'd be either him or Mad Vlad on the list. 50/50

36. Pete Murray - Ancient and looks ancient, good pick.

37. Bob Newhart - People say he's frail but he's always looked thin. Boring pick, is he ill? 

38. Rolf Harris - Good and expected pick.

39. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Terminally ill, good pick.

40. Willie Nelson - Ill for a longer time and somehow survived a severe bout of covid last year. Also lost his sister last year and has been singing about death for around ten years now. He's certainly prepared for it. Good pick.

41. Dennis Skinner - Because the forum takes so long to load I can't search info on his health. But I recall he's not the most ill out of the perennially ill British politicians in their 90s? 50/50

42. Nigel Lawson - Lawson was one of the more ill perennially ill British politicians with Hurd if I remember correctly. Good pick.

43. Michael Parkinson - Has been ill before, but I don't have enough knowledge on this one to judge if he's a good pick or not. Skipping.

44. Sonny Rollins - Pulmonary fibrosis for twice the average life expectancy, plus he's 92. Good pick, how the hell is he still alive?

45. Mohamed Al-Fayed - Ill with dementia or something mysterious? Good-ish pick.

46. Hal Linden - Still active. Bad pick.

47. Linda Nolan - Good pick? At this point I don't know anymore, she's been very ill for a long time.

48. Tina Turner - Long health history and lost his son in 2022. Good pick.

49. Andy Taylor - Some say too early. Personally, not sure. Skipping.

50. Shane Macgowan - Looked ghastly in those pictures taken after his recent hospitalisation. However, young. Good-ish pick.

The drops:

1. Attenborough - old, but not frail. Understandable.

2. Akihito - Good drop. I'd bet the goby researcher will live a few more years.

3. Ted Kaczynski - He said he's ill, but I am still not sure if he's actually ill or not. 50/50 

4. James Whale - Terminally ill, should not have been dropped. 

5. Denis Law - Not sure.

6. Noam Chomsky - I think he could end up being one of those picks that are dropped but survive another year or two. We don't actually know if he's ill with anything, do we?

7. David Crosby - Good drop. Doesn't seem too ill despite his advanced health history. 

8. Michael Gambon - Not that old and nothing but dementia rumors. Good drop.

9. Douglas Hurd - supposed to be very frail and people are suprised he's still alive. BAD drop.

10. Silvio Berlusconi - Good drop. Put him back when he's actually ill.

11. Linda Ronstadt - Not sure.

• Like 5

No Roberta Flack, James Whale, Ted Kaczynski, Gianluca Vialli, Rhod Gilbert, etc. 

Hurd, Whale, and Kaczynski should have been kept. 

Had no idea Sakamoto and Rollins were famous enough, but I'm not a music person. Good calls by the committee. 

Nice to see Norman Lear on the list, and, speaking of Normans, I see Norman Tebbit has moved up a fair few (25) places. That's more than any move for last year's list. 

Dick Van Dyke at #1 was to be expected, but maybe not the best choice. I think I voted Kissinger or Harris in the prediction game. 

Surprised to see the Ayatollah instead of someone like Flack or Gilbert. Musharraf is a good pick, though. 

These are some of my main takes from a first glance at the list. It has potential, but I don't think it will do as well as in 2020. Will edit some more in later. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Windsor said:

At the risk of being accused of hypocrisy again…a bit old, aren’t they?  

"Well the old ones are best ones, Rodney."

• Like 2