Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

5 minutes ago, Kenny said:

No Janey Godley?

She’ll probably survive the year. Milking the cancer to fuck though. 

I only put her on my lists because I don’t like her. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

James Whale is a terrible drop, Dick Cheney and Robert Duval will not die this year

Some more fragments of more thoughts- Nigel Lawson and Dennis Skinner are EXCELLENT additions to the list.Credible rumours about Lawsons health in particular have been around for a while and Skinner had serious heart surgery 20 years ago  in 2003.I remember because I am pretty sure that is why he was not a big part of the Labour backbench revolt and disquiet over Tony Blairs Iraq war policy.

31 minutes ago, Windsor said:

She’ll probably survive the year. Milking the cancer to fuck though. 

I only put her on my lists because I don’t like her. :D

She blocked me on Twatter. :D

• Like 1

I really thought William Russell might turn up this year. 
Like others, I don’t think this is the year for Cheney, Duvall or Alda. If we need more Hollywood legends, I think Michael Caine deserves more traction. 

• Like 4

Above all, simply amazing Putin was not added by the Committee this year, he felt like their kind of pick in light of all his recent ill health rumours. I have a feeling the Committee played well there, which is much more than I can say for dropping James Whale and Ted Kaczynski but keeping on Dick Cheney and Prunella Scales. Emperor Akihito and David Attenborough feel like really surprising drops by the Committee, but brave and rewarding actions to take. 

Rolf Harris is much too low down. Vialli, Field and Alagiah should have been there and I could say the same about Jonnie Irwin, but he isn't on my shadowlist this year, I preferred to add Bernadette Chirac and play more risky, so I cannot complain about that obvious miss.

• Like 3

My thoughts are: *shrugs*

Honestly, does anyone look at the actual Deathlist past the day it comes out?  (I mean, aside from it's use in the Inverse game)

• Like 2

For a bunch of old and not-with-it committee members, I think the list is fairly ok for their mediocre level of skill. 

If people’s only gripes are the drops of James Whale and Kaczinski, that’s usually a lot less complaints than usual. 

Good list. Could be better but people say that every year. Their ignorance towards Glynis Johns will always perplex me though. 

I’ve learnt that you never get your hopes up with the original DL. You can pipe up all you like and advocate aggressively in the Ideas and Possibilities thread, but they’ll still pick whoever they want. It is not a democratic list. Of course the crowdsource list will perform much better than than the DL, same with every year. 

I am steaming but happy new year all!

• Like 3

Alan Alda, for one, doesn't look like someone who is about to die, nor does he have an illness that will kill him anytime soon.  Randy Jackson, on the other hand...

And I could say the same for many others who are much younger, but the committee tends to go for older, bigger names.  Disappointing.  

• Like 2

Can't believe they missed Frankie Valli and Eastwood two of the luckier ones to survive into old age 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad252 said:

Did you mean Chirac? Unless there's another famous person with that surname Jacques Chirac died over 3 years ago.

I agree the others should have been added/kept.

Maybe the intention was Jacques Delors?  

• Like 1

Did you mean Chirac? Unless there's another famous person with that surname Jacques Chirac died over 3 years ago.

Bernadette Chirac

2 minutes ago, Grim News said:

Can't believe they missed Frankie Valli and Eastwood two of the luckier ones to survive into old age 

Frankie Valli seems to have recovered okay from his health issues though, no? He was touring again last year. 

I agree the others should have been added/kept.

The French members of the forum wank themselves to death over the existence of Bernadette Chirac. That woman is like Beyoncé to them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My opinion is perfectly expressed by the "meh" meme of future DeathList member Larry David.

How on earth does the list not feature Peter Falk?!

• Haha 2

Can see a grand total of 21 hits this year/record breaker!

Likely hits: Starmer-Smith, Carter, Bennett, Belafonte, Charlton, Wagner, Gall, Woodward, Kennedy, Ackland, Le Pen, Kundera, Laine, Ono, Musharraf, Harris, Sakamoto, Skinner, Rollins, Nolan, Taylor.

This still doesn't excuse unnecessary picks like Parkinson, Alda, Linden, Duvall (really?). Honestly surprised and pleased Hackman and Eastwood missed the cut this year but from now on, I would say these two both deserve some consideration going forwards, especially Hackman.

1 minute ago, Dead Wait said:

How on earth does the list not feature Peter Falk?!

they forgot

Dropping James Whale is deadpooling malfeasance. You guys need a new impulse.

• Like 2

It looks alright to me 

Mediocre list.Some great new additions but some mind boggling omissions.I confidently predict my shadow list will do far better this year.DL 2023 will easily get double figures and may do better than last year but I think that getting near or breaking the record of 20 is out of the question.

Had the committee picked Whale, Vialli , Flack, Burrow  and Alagiah instead of some of their weaker picks the record would likely have been tied or broken.

We shall see though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

Silvio Berlusconi & David Attenborough could be huge misses. Have a gut feeling that one of them will be gone this year. Other than that a good list.

Berlusconi is worth the risk especially considering 11 names had to be dropped.The old bastard seems to be doing much better.Attenborough on the other hand is slightly reckless given he is 97 this year , is uber famous and has a coronary history.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I really thought William Russell might turn up this year. 
Like others, I don’t think this is the year for Cheney, Duvall or Alda. If we need more Hollywood legends, I think Michael Caine deserves more traction. 

Michael Caine recently tweeted a tribute to Mike Hodges but nothing for Pele.

Possibly not a strong friendship with his former co-star rather than him suddenly being incapacitated but when you see everyone else online bending over backwards to hype up their 10 seconds with Pele it’s maybe notable that Michael feels no need to acknowledge his passing. Levels, I suppose.

• Like 1

I find it inconeivable that anyone on the committee argued that the odds of Whale lasting another 12 months were anything but very slim or than Dick Van Dyke was the strongest candidate for the top spot.

• Like 1

15 hits I reckon

• Like 1