Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

1 hour ago, Kenny said:

No Janey Godley?

Not famous enough plus may well see 2024 and maybe even 2025 at a push.

• Like 1

No Glynis Johns or June Lockhart?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sean said:

15 hits I reckon

0% chance 15 hits 

I say 5-10 hits at best

4 minutes ago, Insane said:

0% chance 15 hits 

I say 5-10 hits at best

I would sat that is overly pessimistic and harsh.

Sakamoto and Rollins are very much circling the drain by all accounts as are Starmer_Smith and Woodward.Plus statistically on age grounds alone one would expect a greater number.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Insane said:

0% chance 15 hits 

I say 5-10 hits at best

I bet you £10 to your chosen charity that there are at least 14 hits this year?

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I would sat that is overly pessimistic and harsh.

Sakamoto and Rollins are very much circling the drain by all accounts as are Starmer_Smith and Woodward.Plus statistically on age grounds alone one would expect a greater number.

It might be harsh but with a list like this I say 5-10 is somewhat realistic to me. 
the committee missed huge names this year like Whale,Putin and others people have mentioned but the bottom half looks better then the top half of this list. I’m still mad at Dyke being #1 should be at like #25 with Kissinger or Carter being #1 even whale should of been #1

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Insane said:

0% chance 15 hits 

I say 5-10 hits at best

They already said that thing on 2022 death list but see what happened in the end. Slow  beginning but lot of famous people from the list died in the last quarter of the year! Stay optimistic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I bet you £10 to your chosen charity that there are at least 14 hits this year?

You got a deal my friend and if this gets over 14 I’ll do a charity of ur choice 

• Like 2

Just now, Insane said:

It might be harsh but with a list like this I say 5-10 is somewhat realistic to me. 
the committee missed huge names this year like Whale,Putin and others people have mentioned but the bottom half looks better then the top half of this list. I’m still mad at Dyke being #1 should be at like #25 with Kissinger or Carter being #1 even whale should of been #1

There are faults with this list for sure but statistically I think you are being slightly pessimistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Insane said:

You got a deal my friend and if this gets over 14 I’ll do a charity of ur choice 

Deal!

• Like 1

Yeah, I think an improvement on last year is pretty feasible. Lot of people on here who surely can't have much longer left (Ackland, Barker, Bennett, the Carters, Delors, Harris, Kissinger, Kundera, Le Pen, Rollins, Tebbit, Wagner), along with a few who are generically old enough to realistically bite it (Baxter, Gall, Laine, Lear, Newhart) and younger ill ones (Musharraf, Nolan, Sakamoto, Taylor).

Sure, the additions like Dickinson over Glynis Johns/Eva Marie Saint and Alda, Duvall, and Linden are a little bizarre, and dropping guys like Kaczynski/Whale and failing to add Roberta Flack are headscratchers, but the list we have mostly plays it pretty safe. (And hell, maybe one of the four I just mention will bite the dust. Don't think many thought Loretta Lynn was an especially good pick this time last year.)

• Like 7

There are 9 Kennedy Center Honorees on this year’s list - DvD, Bennett, Belafonte, Brooks, Woodward, Lear, Nelson, Rollins and Turner.

Traditionally 2-5 Kennedy Center Honorees die each year. On the 2022 list, of the 8 Honorees 3 died so I’d say the odds are that we lost at least one of the 9 this year, if not more..

Given that the Kennedy Center award is a lifetime achievement award, the recipients tend to be old anyway but it’s always a decent guess that one of that list will shuffle off this year…

I wish they picked more famous heads and took some more risks but overall a smart list this year. Let's break that 2020 record!!!

Will they go in 2023?

Dick Van Dyke: No, looked magnificent for 96 a couple of weeks ago, still walking unaided, cracking jokes, driving, smiling, out and about. Not the worst pick, but should have been dropped over Whale and Kaczynski (two terminal cancer sufferers). Also would have been a much better drop than Hurd.

Henry Kissinger: No, still regularly active in giving intellectual opinions on current events, a fair chance he’ll see 2024, but many oldies seem to fall around their big centenary, especially the big ones.

Bob Barker: No, reported to be in fine form of late, but approaching 100 like Kissinger and with a previous record of worrying health scares, undroppable and could conk out peacefully in his sleep one morning.

Alan Greenspan: No, still well and mentally sharp enough to write a commentary last month on likely direction of the American dollar into 2023; this boring pick will see 2024 and should have been pushed aside for Whale. 

Nigel Starmer-Smith: Yes, a sure hit, my 1st pick for this year’s first hit. His son revealed Nigel is unrecognisable, living in a care home, suffering from frontal lobe dementia, struggling to swallow and cannot walk or talk. This was 2021! 

Jimmy Carter: Yes, becoming increasingly frail and I see 98 as his age of death, his history of health issues and old age must be steadily catching up with him. 

Tony Bennett: Yes, wheelchair bound, been suffering Alzheimer’s for years and is at the dangerous age of 96, wonderful one to keep on. 

Dick Cheney: No, wasted pick, no health issues in years, potentially the healthiest candidate on the list, with only the possible exceptions of Alan Alda, Hal Linden, Michael Parkinson and Robert Duvall.

Harry Belafonte: Yes, actually it really wouldn’t surprise me if Belafonte conked out just short of 96. I have for a long time thought he would go at 95, and his recent staying out of the spotlight further suggests an upcoming demise. Great pick like Bennett.

Mel Brooks: No, still seemed spritely, active and full of life in a recent interview with his granddaughter. Just old, he could have been dropped for a year, a feeling he’ll hit at least 98 like his taller pal Carl Reiner did.

Jacques Delors: No, will soon be 98, but has always seemed in stable, surprisingly fit health for such a senior citizen. 

Bobby Charlton: Yes, he could squeak into 2024 (was still well enough to pay homage to Pelé) but my guess is one for the final stretch of 2023, not long after his 86th birthday.

Robert Wagner: Yes, brilliant, solid new addition, such a wise inclusion. 93 just feels right for his age of death, doesn’t it? Wagner has also been gaining considerable weight over recent years and memories of Natalie Wood’s tragic fate could not be helping.

Norman Tebbit: No, not the best carry over but it is understandable for him to rejoin the list all the same. Reportedly becoming increasingly frail and ill, but still publicly immerses in the world of politics occasionally and in thin shape (even if it is because he is frail).

Rosalynn Carter: No, in fine shape for her age. One for 2024 I am guessing, she won’t be leaving Jimmy’s side until he croaks. 

Sandy Gall: Yes, not many men who were once six foot one and a half inches make the 95 strand, a well thought out carry over by the Committee even if it was expected.

Joanne Woodward: Yes, one of the sickest and most worthy candidates on the list, great to see her back, pretty much a 2023 guarantee. She may very well get to 93, but it proved fatal for Barbara Walters who was battling a similar illness and I thought Woodward was in more danger than Walters...

Ethel Kennedy: Yes, incredibly frail and a strong feeling she’ll go at 95, sometime in 2023.

Desmond Morris: No, one 94 year old who did not deserve a carry over, especially ahead of Hurd, Kaczynski and particularly Whale.

Stanley Baxter: No, very quiet as of late but looked as fit as a fiddle for 94 in a photo he took with his newly published autobiography in 2020. I think he’ll do a Leslie Phillips on us next year, 2024 seems like Stanley’s year and 98 his age of death, but you never can be sure until it happens...

Joss Ackland: Yes, a cert this year. One of the best selected carry overs on the list. He is approaching 95, overweight and was rather frail in a video he did a few years ago, where even he admitted then that his health had been worsening.

Jean-Marie Le Pen: Yes, I see 95 as his age of death, like it was for Herbert Lom. Le Pen suffered a stroke last year and despite participating in many interviews since, he cannot hide his restricted breathing and borderline obesity. Le Pen’s health has deteriorated so much in the last twelve months. 

Milan Kundera: Yes, fantastic carry over. Reported as seriously ill almost a year ago, one of the first to go on the list I feel, maybe the third after Starmer-Smith and Ackland?

Cleo Laine: Yes, amazed she has made it this far. No doubt she has been active into her declining years but she has always struck me as a person who has lived life to the complete excess in all possible ways.

Alan Alda: No, still seemingly in good health, modestly overcoming non-life threatening Parkinson’s over the past years, The only thing going for this pick being selected is that he is tallest candidate on the list, 6’1” now and 6’2” at peak, so his blood has to travel further around his body than any other of the candidates, giving his body more work to do.

Prunella Scales: No, waste of an important position. Although she has had Alzheimer’s for close to a decade now, she still looks spritely, active and full of life in recent photos. One to revisit in 2024.

Yoko Ono: Yes, years ago I recall relatives thought she was coming up to her last Christmas. A death cert and 90 as her age of death sounds appropriate.

Norman Lear: No, a lazy oldie pick, no known health issues. All the same, very surprising the Committee is putting him on the DL only now, I’d thought he may have had UK eligibility problems for such an old celebrity to be overlooked for so long. It would be like Glynis Johns making her debut next year.

Burt Bacharach: No, understandably gradually getting frailer but I think he’ll squeak into 2024 like his ex-wife and position no. 31, Angie Dickinson. I feel Bacharach will probably predecease Dickinson though.

Marianne Faithfull: No, one of the youngest candidates on the list still and gave a lengthy, detailed interview in the past month. She should she 2024, and quite possibly 2025. 

Angie Dickinson: No, still looking independent in photos from a few years ago and has no known health issues. Just one of those luck of the draw picks in my opinion. 

Robert Duvall: No, one of the worst picks of the year. Genuinely shocked Duvall got preference by the Committee over Hackman and Eastwood (although those two seem to be more in the spotlight and in fair health for their age). Duvall will see 2024 only to be dropped. 

Imelda Marcos: No, lazy, playing it safe type risk. We knew she would have to return this year as she is a Committee favourite but someone like Roberta Flack or George Alagiah would have been such a better inclusion, even if Marcos does go before 2024.

General Pervez Musharraf: Yes, he was reported gravely ill, suffering from amyloidosis and then dead last June!

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: No, still in the top chair concerning political direction of his country despite the odd health trouble; will likely see 2024. 

Pete Murray: No, a boring, lazy, oldie pick, who seems to be incredibly healthy for 97 years old, just like Dick Van Dyke. One to revisit in 2024. 

Bob Newhart: No, another playing it safe pick, a bit frail but in good shape for his age at the same time. He also still gives the occasional interview. Revisit in 2024. 

Rolf Harris: Yes, my only dissatisfaction with this pick was why he was selected so low down. He should have swapped places with Van Dyke. Anyway, at least Harris made the cut, reported as gravely ill last October needing 24/7 around the clock care for neck cancer which has left him unable to eat and talk. Likely to be one of the DL’s first successes. He may make his 93rd birthday, but will not see 2024. 

Ryuichi Sakamoto: Yes, he has terminal rectal cancer so was obviously a quintessential pick. 

Willie Nelson: No, still very active in his work and touring, with no plans to head off the road soon. Still a good pick since he was gravely ill with COVID last year and has had a long history with emphysema and other lung issues, but I can see him returning on the DL in 2024. 

Dennis Skinner: Yes, a splendid pick, he has been battling health issues for years and has gone worryingly quiet in the last few years. Plus, 91 is a dangerous age for male celebrities these days.

Nigel Lawson: No, a healthier 1932 UK born politician alternative to Skinner, apparently only just retired from the House of Lords.

Michael Parkinson: No, wasted pick. What was wrong with Giorgio Napolitano or Gianluca Vialli instead? Parkinson has no real health challenges going on right now, he looks a little frail but that is common for any 87 year old male. 

Sonny Rollins: Yes, he has always lived life to the excess, was very tall for most of his life (six foot one and a half) and has had recent run ins with pulmonary fibrosis. 

Mohamed Al-Fayed: No, granted a bit ill, but has the financial resources to afford top quality medical care. 

Hal Linden: No, ageist pick, still in good shape with no plans for slowing down. Another who will get to 2024 only to be dropped. Many of us would have preferred Michael Caine to take Linden’s spot here this year. 

Linda Nolan: Yes, although so determined to fight and beat her cancer, I cannot see her going before the end of 2023. 

Tina Turner: No, losing her son has added to the possibility of her checking out soon following years of health crises, but I can still see her around in a year or two. 

Andy Taylor: Yes, stage 4 metastatic cancer is a death sign for anyone, especially for someone like Taylor who has had it for nearly half a decade, even if it is only prostate.

Shane MacGowan: No, the Committee just obviously likes having MacGowan as its no. 50 bedblocker, becoming a better pick each year but he could realistically still be alive in 2027. 

So this equates to a potential score of 21/50 for the 2023 DL

• Like 3
  • Shocked 2

Here are all the names people think should have been on the list. Feel free to recommend more. At the end of the week they get locked in the vault.

1. Emperor Akihito
  2. George Alagiah
  3. Buzz Aldrin
  4. David Attenborough
  5. Thelma Barlow
  6. Silvio Berlusconi
  7. Rob Burrow
  8. Michael Caine
  9. Bernadette Chirac
  10. Sandra Day O'Connor
  11. Clint Eastwood
  12. Frank Field
  13. Roberta Flack
  14. Jane Fonda
  15. Janey Godley
  16. Gene Hackman
  17. Jonnie Irwin
  18. Randy Jackson
  19. Glynis Johns
  20. Ted Kaczynski
  21. Val Kilmer
  22. Don King
  23. June Lockhart
  24. Vladimir Putin
  25. William Roache
  26. Marion Ross
  27. William Russell
  28. Eva Marie Saint
  29. Frankie Valli
  30. Gianluca Vialli
  31. James Whale

And if you have the audacity to give it "why were they not on the list?" when a B-lister dies suddenly in August, then I'll hold you accountable. This post will prove whether bragging rights are yours, or you're a scheming little opportunist. You have been warned. :evil2:

Edited by Clorox Bleachman
  • Like 1

There seems to be quite a few relationships amongst candidates on this year’s list.

As well as the Carters, there are

- Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward (they played lovers in A Kiss Before Dying and Winning)

- Burt Bacharach and Angie Dickinson (were husband and wife from 1965-1981)

- Rolf Harris and Linda Nolan (The Nolans supported Harris in a tour of South Africa, where he assaulted her)

It's a good choice bringing Joanne Woodward back. However, I wish Shannen Doherty would've made a return. Also, I was hoping that Alberto Fujimori made it on the list.

Dick van Dyke is still driving - in Los Angeles! Still active.

• Like 1

Decent list, I also updated my 2023 list.

9 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

The drops:

1. David Attenborough
  2. Emperor Akihito
  3. Ted Kaczynski
  4. James Whale
  5. Denis Law
  6. Noam Chomsky
  7. David Crosby
  8. Michael Gambon
  9. Douglas Hurd
  10. Silvio Berlusconi
  11. Linda Ronstadt

Wasn't Shannon Doherty on the list too or did I imagine that?

and nothing makes me madder than the spelling mistake on Robert Duvall, I do not want to see that for a whole year.

A lot of very old people with a smattering of terminally ill people. There should have been more of the latter category. 

Actually if some of you wouldn’t mind, could you please just take a quick glance at my Shadowlist on my signature and maybe give just some brief feedback on whether you think my list will go any better than the Committee’s?

If it was my Shadowlist that was the main list, would you be more optimistic about the end result?

Much appreciated.

@Lafaucheuse I know you particularly must be satisfied with my last minute addition of Bernadette Chirac. You can thank Pope Benedict for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1