Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

4 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Here are all the names people think should have been on the list. Feel free to recommend more. At the end of the week they get locked in the vault.

Vladimir Putin

The health concerns about him seem to be speculative more then anything else. Imo no better or worse a pick then say a Trump,Biden,Amanda Bynes,Daniella Westbrook or Nikocado Avocado type punt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Wasn't Shannon Doherty on the list too or did I imagine that?

On the 2021 list, taken off for 2022, not returned for 2023. Will she see 2024? :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

On the 2021 list, taken off for 2022, not returned for 2023. Will she see 2024? :rolleyes:

The way things is going I don’t know

• Haha 4

A bit of sleep and I think the list is okay. So maybe not Larry David "eh", but okay. One always focuses on the 3-4 things that don't work well, but doesn't look at the 45 things that are okay. The list will get its' hits, but we'll complain a couple of times that it could have been just slightly better. And Henry Kissinger or Rolf Harris should have been no. 1.

I don't know whether Gooseberry's enema is infectious or not, but I've been having this strong feeling for a while this is going to be Attenborough's year. But aside from some potentially obvious drops (Whale and Hurd), decent list otherwise.

I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed about the fact aside of Delors the top 12 of this year is literally the same top 16 of last year, but without the 5 people that died.

2 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Actually if some of you wouldn’t mind, could you please just take a quick glance at my Shadowlist on my signature and maybe give just some brief feedback on whether you think my list will go any better than the Committee’s?

If it was my Shadowlist that was the main list, would you be more optimistic about the end result?

Much appreciated.

@Lafaucheuse I know you particularly must be satisfied with my last minute addition of Bernadette Chirac. You can thank Pope Benedict for that.

Just because of Chirac inclusion, i’ll have a look and let you know ;) 

I think that the list can actually top last year's list, the selection of candidates is not fundamentally bad or wrong.

There are the usual suspects who stay on the list until they die (Kissinger, Barker, van Dyke, Greenspan etc) which is ok.

There are good returnees (Woodward, Musharraf, Nolan, Turner) and good newcomers (Wagner, Harris, Sakamoto, Taylor).

My problem with the list is quite simply that it's a little boring.

The top 10 is almost static, there are hardly any big jumps or deep falls. Dick van Dyck could have dropped dramatically from 1 to 30 and would still have stayed on the list.

There could have been a new entry or a re-entry to first place.

The top 10 consists only of men; the first woman only comes in 15th place!

Where are the younger but really very sick candidates like Vialli, Whale or Irwin? It makes no sense to exclude such candidates, after all, the DL also wants to collect points and break their own records. As you can see, things went really well this year...

The whole list looks like it was put together by the so-called "white old men", with no desire for change or effort. And it probably was. It would be nice if something could change here in the future, so that both the selection of candidates and their placement are a bit more diverse, open and up-to-date.

• Like 5

Maybe something that would be Nice would be to have one pick that could be left to the vote of forum members. Putting a pole in december and including the winner onto the main list.

• Like 4

Could Michael have Parkinsons? Like Alan Alda didn't make it known publicly for 3 years. I'm not making a cheap gag as there was a mention of him being on tv and looking suddenly frail

Also if Jimmy and Roselyn die together I'm sure they will die happy (although Jack will be twice as devastated) :ghost3::ghost3:Bobby Charlton is likely in how recent football players went at similar ages 

Don't think Alda is a good shout for this year. Yeah he has Parkinson's but he's still very sharp and active with his podcast and centre for communication. I have him as minimal danger.

2 hours ago, Book said:

The whole list looks like it was put together by the so-called "white old men"

Why have you brought race into it?  The list is pretty diverse, including South Asian, Middle Eastern, Japanese,  Black people .....

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm surprised that Topol isn't on this list. :)

16 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that Topol isn't on this list. :)

If he were a picked man

Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only thing I really criticize is Vialli being left out as he is a dead cert with the appropriate level of fame.

It seems too early for Linden, Duvall (why not Gene Hackman then?) and Dickinson, who is still unsinkable. Wagner is not that bad too if you watch him on Instagram.

34 minutes ago, drol said:

The only thing I really criticize is Vialli being left out as he is a dead cert with the appropriate level of fame.

It seems too early for Linden, Duvall (why not Gene Hackman then?) and Dickinson, who is still unsinkable. Wagner is not that bad too if you watch him on Instagram.

Vialli and Whale are wtf omissions

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Would only argue with dropping Whale and Hurd from that list. 

also think attenborough should not of been dropped. i know images cannot define when the end will be all the time; but based on this, i think it is pretty soon for attenboroughImage result for david attenborough 2022 video

Another fragment of my thoughts-I think the Duchess of Kent should have been included given she was the only member of the whole large  extended royal family working and non working not to attend the Queens  funeral when she has attended  these type of  events before . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Maybe something that would be Nice would be to have one pick that could be left to the vote of forum members. Putting a pole in december and including the winner onto the main list.

Surely the  crowdsourced  deathlist of 50 completely fulfills that need?

I don't think the official Deathlist needs to go hybrid  in that way regardless of whether their picks are good choices or not.

• Like 1

With the exception of Starmer-Smith, don’t the rest of the top 5 candidates seem ridiculously healthy to be up so high?

• Like 2

The annual overview...

Dick Van Dyke – Getting up in age but still quite active. He’s still dancing ffs. “I’d have taken better care of myself” he said recently. If he doesn’t see his century out it’ll be a huge shock.

Henry Kissinger – Looked frail, even by his standards, talking about Gorbachev. Even so, his schedule is busier than mine.

Bob Barker – In and out of hospital in 2017-18, allegedly in good health for his age on 99th birthday last month but has a sense of the Leslie Phillips about him.

Alan Greenspan – zzzzzz Reptile assures me this is a solid pick. But such a dull one.

Nigel Starmer-Smith – bedridden in 2021 after such a sudden decline, surviving 2022 was a shock. He wont see summer.

Jimmy Carter – Frailer than he once was (and notably had to miss a whole bunch of events in 2022 due to age/health). He’s in the departure lounge, waiting for his final plane.

Tony Bennett – Dementia but was fairly active till recently.

Dick Cheney – Wishful thinking. Wont die anytime soon.

Harry Belafonte – Old, frail and 96 next month. Will probably have a birthday bash you can judge form on.

Mel Brooks – Rob Reiner says Brooks has taken Carl Reiners death badly, and sleeps most of the time. Despite still being active – he is at least nominally producer of Young Frankenstein Live – he may be a better bet than expected, sadly.

Jacques Delors – Wife died in 2020 and the press announced it after the funeral, due to Jacques health. Missed a 25th anniversary dinner held in his own honour in 2021 due to poor health. Still hanging on, though.

Bobby Charlton – Ill with dementia, not longer able to make public appearances, and even his Pele comments seemed like they’d had help. Wont be too long.

Robert Wagner – His wife says he has dementia but going by his video last week, its very recent if it exists.

Norman Tebbit – Uitzer said he was in poor health and wouldn’t see 2023. He has, but would seem unlikely to go much further on. It’s the Lords retirement that stands out – when a workaholic just stops, something is up.

Ros Carter – If anything, looks frailer than Jimmy. Like the Bushes, they wont last long without the other.

Sandy Gall – Doing well for his age. Still travels, still writing, still giving public talks. He’s only here for his age.

Joanne Woodward – End stage dementia for years now. How is she still alive?

Ethel Kennedy – Frail, old Kennedy.

Desmond Morris – Still in good nick in interviews a few months ago, surprised he got kept on the list.

Stanley Baxter – “Worryingly quiet”, apparently. Yes, he is quiet, but he is 95…

Joss Ackland – Allegedly in frail health now.

Jean Marie le Pen – Frail old racist. Not frail enough for my liking. Wheelchair bound.

Milan Kundera – Best selling author with a weak heart, no longer active and got a tribute which was all but obituary from the Czech President.

Cleo Laine –  She had a BBC4 Special in 2022. All archive stuff, of course.

Alan Alda – Has Parkinsons but surely this is far, far too early for the MASH legend.

Prunella Scales – Have made too many grim predictions about her over the years. Yes, her mind is gone, but clearly her physical self is still fairly well. Could go tomorrow, or in 2027. It’s now 3 years since Canal Journeys had to end due to her health.

Yoko Ono – Never fully recovered from that stroke. Retired most of her business dealings. A matter of time.

Norman Lear – Very old.

Burt Bacharach – Frail but still performing.

Marianne Faithfull – In a nursing home because covid fucked her lungs. Memory issues. Probably a good pick for this year, alas.

Angie Dickinson – Old and very DLy, but that’s about it.

Robert Duvall – One of my favourite actors. Has said he will sleep when he’s dead. Hopefully premature addition. Is still acting, having taken a brief hiatus due to covid lockdown.

Imelda Marcos – Winner of this year “They’re still alive?” from mrs msc.

Pervez Musharraf – Fake news of his death last year, allegedly on a ventilator at the time, but I trust reports of his health as much as I trusted his U-turn into Strongman Ally of the West over 20 years ago.

Ayatollah Khamenei – Allegedly gravely ill last year. Not ill enough for me.

Pete Murray – Aged broadcaster. As a regular talking head for Channel 5 music docs he had notably got a lot frailer between 2020 and 2022. On age and that downward trek, a good punt for 2023.

Bob Newhart – Looked like shit in 2020. But is still alive. Might just look shit these days as an aging thing tbh.

Rolf Harris – Allegedly on his death bed.

Ryuichi Sakamoto – Best newcomer on the list. Given 6 months to live in 2020, made it this far, but not well enough to record his full farewell concert in one go. Not long left.

Willie Nelson – Was very ill with covid last year, to the point of nearly dying. Made a comeback to tour again because he’s Willie Nelson. Willie Nelson on the last encore, mind you.

Dennis Skinner – The way colleagues spoke of him on election night 2019 you’d think he wouldn’t see three months, let alone three years…

Nigel Lawson – Survived a cancer scare a decade ago. Has looked like a nasty cold would finish the job for years since.

Michael Parkinson – I mean, yes, he has aged, and his voice is much weaker, but I think its by his old standards.

Sonny Rollins – 93 this year, retired in 2014 due to lung problems. Great pick.

Mohamed Al-Fayed – Dying in 2021, “no health issues” in 2022. Which is the truth?

Hal Linden – Healthy active generian.

Linda Nolan – Missed she was back on the list. Stage IV cancer, spread a bit last year, had to pull out of some shows. She will go at some point. No idea when though.

Tina Turner – BBC did a huge tribute night to her at Christmas. What do they know? Her son died recently – another kick down for music’s great survivor.

Andy Taylor – Stage IV cancer for years, missed his HOF induction, and the reaction from the band made it seem worse than it sounds. Could be a very solid pick.

Shane MacGowan – Has looked like shite since 1980. Falling apart in every health manner except the living bit.

My thoughts – about 15 potential hits, so, keep in mind I tend to have more faith than is warranted, narrow that down to the annual 12 or 13 out of 50 and call it a year. It wont suck, but it had a chance to be amazing and they elected not to bother. Disappointing.

• Like 5

Most surprising rejections from the 2023 DL (knowing the Committee)

Carry overs

Emperor Akihito

James Whale

Ted Kaczynski

David Attenborough

Noam Chomsky

Returnees

Liza Minnelli

Louis Farrakhan

Vanessa Redgrave

Debutees

Vladimir Putin

George Alagiah

James Watson

Sandra Day O'Connor

Roberta Flack

Jonnie Irwin

Gianluca Vialli

Patricia Routledge

Thelma Barlow

Marion Ross

Buzz Aldrin

Gene Hackman

William Roache

Don King

Jane Fonda

Mediocre, but I've seen years with much worse lists produced.

James Whale was an awful drop.

• Like 1

In all fairness, I think this list has good to great potential. Far from perfect as always but for once, it has felt like the Committee has generally been keeping up to date with our suggestions (hence why Wagner is so high) and celebrity health news/setbacks (hence why Tina Turner made the cut). 

I really expected to see Jane Fonda included, great thing she wasn’t, perhaps the Committee took her recent announcement of remission of her cancer on board.

Potential dates for 2023 hits

5th January: Nigel Starmer-Smith

14th January: Joss Ackland

28th January: General Pervez Musharraf 

17th February: Milan Kundera

21st February: Harry Belafonte 

23rd March: Ryuichi Sakamoto 

2nd April: Joanne Woodward

4th May: Rolf Harris

26th May: Sandy Gall

18th June: Tony Bennett

7th July: Andy Taylor