Joey Russ

Thoughts on 2023 Deathlist

41 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Interesting, I may well make the Same thing ! But then, you have to 1) remember every candidate in the list 2) open the deathlist site and not the forum first everytime you’re coming here 3) not see the first couple of picks of the list, something impossible When I open the list with my laptop fe, I can see the top 5 till the bottom of my screen

My suggestions to those issues are to make your list from least likely to most likely in advance (maybe today as if there has been a hit already) and to minimise your browser screen before coming to the DeathList site so it doesn’t show you anything you don’t want to see, only the _/50 dead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Jesus Christ. I hope you never answer honestly in a job interview when they ask what you do in your spare time.

Surely that question is put in the interview to see what a good liar you are. 

When I used to interview school leavers for lab jobs there was a section on the form for interests and pastimes. Generally the girls would write a huge paragraph about all sorts on things they said they did. Lads would put play video games and football.

I rapidly learnt that you do not put playing FRPGs on your application form

• Haha 5

Is this the first list where someone who has accused another member of pretty inappropriate behaviour. I’m referring to Linda Nolan accusing Rolf Harris of sexually assaulting her. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Is this the first list where someone who has accused another member of pretty inappropriate behaviour. I’m referring to Linda Nolan accusing Rolf Harris of sexually assaulting her. 

Yes, you wouldn’t want to put these 50 in a room together. At least Harris is now so incapacitated he couldn’t harm the other 49 in any way. But even if Harris could still do his dirty work, I can see Dick Van Dyke standing up for all candidates.

By the way, the 2023 DL has as of now fallen behind the 2005 DL, making this one of the worst DeathList starts ever in history.

• Like 1

Pervez Musharraf is an exception to the observation that almost all Deathlist names found fame before the 90s. He barely even counts as a 90s name, as he couped his way to power in 1999 but only really got notable in the aftermath of 9/11.

• Like 2

I tried to quit smoking for a while now. I decided to only allow myself a cig every time there's an official hit. So if it could happen soon, I'd be particularly grateful :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I tried to quit smoking for a while now. I decided to only allow myself a cig every time there's an official hit. So if it could happen soon, I'd be particularly grateful :) 

Slippery slope.  I gave up for 3 months once and then treated myself to a ciggy after a particularly memorable personal achievement.  The world didn't end, so I thought I could get away with the occasional ciggy.  In no time I was back on them. There came a point where they got way too expensive, so I just stopped buying them and haven't had one for 4 years now.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Slippery slope.  I gave up for 3 months once and then treated myself to a ciggy after a particularly memorable personal achievement.  The world didn't end, so I thought I could get away with the occasional ciggy.  In no time I was back on them. There came a point where they got way too expensive, so I just stopped buying them and haven't had one for 4 years now.

wow impressing, 4 years without a cig… congrats ! I used to smoke one pack a day last year and now just one or two cig a week so that's a big improvement but still…You're right on saying that if I allow myself one for special occasions, I'll never really quit, I know I have to do it once and for all. But the packs are so cheap in Italy (I'm there for a year) : 5€/pack… it doesn't help

55 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

wow impressing, 4 years without a cig… congrats ! I used to smoke one pack a day last year and now just one or two cig a week so that's a big improvement but still…You're right on saying that if I allow myself one for special occasions, I'll never really quit, I know I have to do it once and for all. But the packs are so cheap in Italy (I'm there for a year) : 5€/pack… it doesn't help

I don't miss it as much as I thought I would, but I know I could be back on them in no time if I allowed myself to have one. I'm not one of these ex-smokers who goes on about how disgusting it is and I like people smoking around me as I enjoy the smell of the smoke :D

2 hours ago, Toast said:

My father smoked 20 a day for a decade or so then quit 40 years ago.Last August I was with him when we were in a car crash ( no one injured) and he asked me for a cigarette and smoked one at the roadside.I was worried this would start his addiction off as he has an addictive personality bit he hasn't smoked one since or been tempted to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Yep, beware the slippery slope. I was just a ‘social smoker’ for years until, yeah, gradually ‘social’ went from meaning the odd couple on a night out to, er, successfully making it to the next half hour. Have been off cigs for almost a year, and now I only have cigars because they’re waaay too expensive to justify having any more often than the occasional weekend treat :D

• Like 3

I was a smoker of 16/17(?) years. I loved a cigarette, especially at work. I have always had an otherwise very healthy lifestyle – great diet and I exercise twice daily (swim or run at 6am then a weights session late afternoon). I’m a qualified nutritionist and personal trainer (though I’ve never actually used it in a profession). Despite all this, smoking REALLY did start to affect my health and I’m only in my early 30s. I was getting very bad chest infections towards the end, terrible sleep and crazy heart palpitations. Not to mention it kills your appetite, and impacts your mood/energy levels/motivation/happiness etc. 

It’s just not worth it. I am not one of those ex smokers who is annoying and demands every one else quits, but if anyone were to ask advice I’d tell them to get off them ASAP, rather than say “do what you like” or “limit it to social smoking” etc. Vape if you must but only do it as a means to an end. Vaping is nowhere near as bad for you as smoking but it carries problems of its own!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TQR said:

I was just a ‘social smoker’ for years until, yeah, gradually ‘social’ went from meaning the odd couple on a night out to, er, successfully making it to the next half hour.

that's how if begins for everyone right ? I used to only smoked in parties then on break between classes and in the blink of an eye, I was at one pack a day. The first time you buy yourself a pack, it's already too late I think. 

I don't smoke (lung issues, it would be stupid) but my family tree is sobering. Can look right up the tree, and barring accidents/luck/cancers, the difference between smokers and non-smokers of the same generation can be well over thirty years. Insane.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Despite all this, smoking REALLY did start to affect my health and I’m only in my early 30s. I was getting very bad chest infections towards the end, terrible sleep and crazy heart palpitations. Not to mention it kills your appetite, and impacts your mood/energy levels/motivation/happiness etc

Yeah, that's why I wanted to quit, I'm asthmatic and had some bad bronchitis last year, basically every two or three months. I felt something was off. I must say I didn't smoke at all in december so that's quite a good start !

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sean said:

.I was worried this would start his addiction off as he has an addictive personality bit he hasn't smoked one since or been tempted to.

that's a big achievement. I'm too an "addictive" persona (former anorexic) so smoking was quite a bad idea from the start, just one cig and it all goes really quickly... Obviously addictive personalities are more likely to start smoking and less likely to ever stop but I'm confident in doing so. 

Ps : sorry for the spam of the 3 last posts, I wasn't able to quote each of you in the same post for whatever reason…

• Like 2

On 07/02/2023 at 14:10, Lafaucheuse said:

Well, thank you Burt :) 

Current statuses of all living candidates 

In grave danger: J. Carter, Woodward, Harris, Starmer-Smith, Kundera, Ackland, Charlton

Potentially in danger: Belafonte, R. Carter, Bennett, Kennedy, Dickinson, Gall, Laine, Sakamoto, Rollins, Nolan, Baxter, Murray, Al-Fayed, Lear, Faithfull, Turner, Tebbit, Lawson, Skinner, Ono, Nelson, Taylor, Barker, Kissinger, Delors

Safe for now: Van Dyke, Linden, Duvall, Le Pen, Wagner, MacGowan, Cheney, Greenspan, Scales, Marcos, Newhart, Brooks, Parkinson, Alda, Morris, Khamenei

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sounds like the Carters, Joanne Woodward and friends are in the...

• Like 1

Don’t think Newhart, Le Pen and McGowan are safe at all. Don’t think Faitfull or Turner are in danger.

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Sounds like the Carters, Joanne Woodward and friends are in the...

Funny how songs both immediately sprung into our heads.

I was thinking of "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six.

• Like 2

Looking at the graphs and stats of when the third death occurs in each year. If the death is early it is in a very narrow window (Day 35-38) A majority of third deaths have happened between Days 63-93)

Today we are on Day 73

Then there is a big gap to the late third hits which occur after Day 134

I am only using 14 key years for this

There has not been a third hit later than Day 166 which is sometime in June

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I genuinely believe we will have lift off soon with the pending deaths of Joanne Woodward, Jimmy Carter, Rolf Harris, Linda Nolan, Milan Kundera, Joss Ackland and Sonny Rollins.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

I genuinely believe we will have lift off soon with the pending deaths of Joanne Woodward, Jimmy Carter, Rolf Harris, Linda Nolan, Milan Kundera, Joss Ackland and Sonny Rollins.

That is going to be a busy day...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4