Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

Your DDP Salvage Lot 2023

Just post your list of would be regrets here. Did you also consider Jeremiah Green before taking him off your team? Post here and rue your misses

• Like 1

Waste of a post, ban this man! 

:scratchhead: Wait - you're not a newbie. 

I regret Rolf Harris, who upon deeper inspection seemed sicker than I thought he would be. 

Many octagenarians and nonagenarians were dropped simply because I didn't think they would make drop 40 so:

Giorgio Napolitano

Sonny Rollins

Malachy McCourt

Mahoman Singh

Harry Greenway

Alpha Conde

All made way for younger people, but I wouldn't be suprised if they all go.

Didn't pick Rolf Harris, Tom Oliver, Brian Reader, Ted Kaczynski, Carlos Bilardo, Horst-Dieter Hottges, Milos Zeman, Randy Jackson and Pervez Musharraf as I don't think they're as ill as suggested.

Simply had no space for Joe Kinnear, but wouldn't be surprised if he goes.

Doubted Bill Campbell would get an obit.

Almazbek Atambyev and Mikheil Saakashvili seem politically ill to me.

Rhod Gilbert... I eventually left off. Hopefully the surgery did the trick. Likewise Abi Phillips.

Graham Thorpe was too vague as to his illness, Stephen Darby's MND isn't that far gone and Johnny Ruffo..... Just couldn't really fit him in, nor did I really want to for some reason

Finally, Mark Stokes - I suspect he's already dead and would end up being a wasted DDP pick. I suspect Oxford Uni will announce he died before or around Christmas when they return in the New Year.

In everything I did I tried to maximize the number of hits, instead of their quality.

I pushed Andy Taylor onto the B-team because of that. Also Nigel Starmer-Smith and Faye Fantarrow.

Other people I couldn't convince myself to pick: Billy Dib, Rhod Gilbert, Janey Godley, Linda Nolan.

And I had to, very reluctantly decide against picking Zoleka Mandela, at least in the DDP. I'm surprised I haven't seen her anywhere else here so far.

There were also a couple of young people I rejected, like Rodion Amirov.

The Enkyboys guy seemed like one for 2024 to me.

Just missed

Ady Barkan- Already loaded with   ALS names

Randy Jackson-Could be a younger McCirrick,but kinda think he just might have lost a lot of weight.I have seen a lot of dudes in their 40's-50's kinda have a similiar face eating them look after major weight loss without it being cancer or another major health reason.

Simon Cowell (Wildlife)-  The thought of picking him and Randy Jackson as a duo via the other Cowell's American Idol connection was tempting

Andrea Gibson and Tim Lobinger- Think both are 80-90% to go this year,wasn't sure of their obit chances. Lobinger particularly I was worried it could be another  Hellstrom situation  as sports Obit's seem to get occasionally Pariochal.

Dennis Haskins- 4 years of a media blackout for a guy who would do any rinky dink autograph signing  and loved taking photo's with fans. Think he is ill,but not worth a spot on my main team for essentially a punt.

Perez Musharraf-Think he is gone this year but reluctant to ever bet on an ailing religious leader or head of state to finally kick the bucket

Carolyn Bryant Donham/Malachy McCourt/Sonny Rollins -On the way out,but due to age don't think  was close enough to drop 40 to make it a worthwhile pick

In no particular order, here are some people from my DDP semi-short list who didn’t make the cut, for various reasons:

Brian Grant , John Fetterman, Chris Van Hollen, Ben Ray Lujan, Sammy Basso, Lester Wright, Walter Orthmann, Myron Kandel, Nicholas Veliotes,  Efrain Guizar, Klaus Schwab

John Calvin - possibly wrongfully imprisoned murderer rather than the reformation cleric. Seemingly dying but not getting much traction outside of regional press without a Yahoo link.

Daniel N. Paul - pretty important First Nations historian, but again didn't want to be reliant on QOs that never came.

Eric Angle - no news whatsoever since his kidney cancer announcement. Did he get a transplant? Christ knows.

Mutulu Shakur - definitely feel like he's got another 12 months in him

Toon Greebe - darts player who had a foot amputated three years ago, and the opposite leg amputated in 2022. We've seen this pattern before and I'm not predicting a triumphant return to the oche for him.

relunctanly removed Salman Rushdie and Bam Margera (decided to take the risk with Phil Collins and Steven Tyler in theor place)

Rhod Gilbert ended up on my last DDP team and I regret to holy fuck not putting him on my shadow list and my other teams! Rolf Harris too.

• Like 1

Faye Fantarrow - Felt like if she was going to get the treatment in America, they have to be confident of her lasting 12 months.

Jo Wilson - Never did give the December scan update.

Billy Dib - No room, think he'll see 2024.

Dikembe Mutombo/Toni Hilland - too early

Teresa Taylor/Nervosa - major obit worries

Clarence Davis - felt unlikely to be a unique and just no room. Raiders accidentally announced his death few months ago so he presumably wont have long left.

Kat Bjelland - Again no room. 

Kate Keltie - Should see 2024.

That'll do it.

Mark Pilgrim - removed at the 11th hour after it struck me that there was no shot in hell of him receiving a QO.  Definitely isn't seeing 2024.  Had I not misread the rules page a couple years ago, and knew I could have more than 1 non-theme team (to quote a famous golfer: "What a stupid, I am"), he would've been in a secondary, more dangerous, lineup.

Kerri Parker - hopped in and out of my lineup over the last couple of days.  Describes her cancer as "aggressive" but she's still very active.  Decided on Godley over her when I removed Pilgrim and I'm sure I'll regret it.

Rolf Harris - seems to be the most popular man on this website but, even with Drop 40, he's light on points.  Still, turns out I should've used him over Denny Crum or probably Frank Field.

Malachy McCourt - just no room for old timers who are thin on point potential

Teresa Taylor - was firmly in my lineup before my holiday break but came back questioning her QO potential and 8 points didn't seem worth the risk

Dikembe Mutombo - just not enough information about the severity of his cancer

Non-returning survivors from last year's embarrassing effort:

Tim Bilton - his twitter gives the appearance of a vital, active, man.  was a bad pick last year and remains one this year.

Linda Nolan - firmly believe she'll be around for the 2030 Deathlist.

Larry Pressler - definitely won't see 2024 but just no point potential.

In this spoiler box is #1 Hitsmy regular theme team of UK #1 hitmakers. Below it are 20 more people who were in consideration for the team.

Spoiler

Last year's position on the team is given in brackets, where applicable.

1. (12) Rolf Harris
2. (new) Andy Taylor (Duran Duran)
3. (new) Anita Pointer (USA for Africa)
4. (4) Jane Morgan
5. (6) Tony Bennett
6. (7) Bobby Charlton (England World Cup Squad '70)
7. (16) Ian Bairnson (Pilot)
8. (re) Trevor Oakes (Showaddywaddy)
9. (10) David Graham (Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band)
10. (9) David Crosby (The Byrds)
11. (13) Harry Belafonte
12. (re) Lena Martell
13. (new) James Dunn (The Stylistics)
14. (re) Dave Edmunds
15. (new) J.J. Barrie
16. (8) Chris Farlowe
17. (re) Chris Rea (Band Aid II)
18. (new) Marilyn (Band Aid)
19. (new) Randy Jackson (The Jacksons)
20. (new) Young Thug

SUBSTITUTES:

Willie Nelson (USA for Africa)

#5 last year

^ will move to main team due to death of Anita Pointer  
22. Mike Peters (Ferry Aid)

Ray Walker (The Jordanaires)

24. Walter Parazaider (Chicago)  
25. Plas Johnson (B. Bumble and the Stingers)  
26. Ernest Ranglin (Commonwealth Band) #17 last year
27. Eddie 'Tan Tan' Thornton (Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames)  
28. Len 'Chip' Hawkes (The Tremeloes) #14 last year
29. Paul 'Bonehead' Arthurs (Oasis)  
30. Tim Commerford (Rage Against the Machine)  
31. Don Powell (Slade)  
32. Roy Wood (The Move, Wizzard)  
33. John Edwards (Detroit Spinners)  
34. Peter Asher (Peter and Gordon)  
35. Shane MacGowan ("Various artists")  
36. David Shilling (The Crowd)  
37. Tina Turner (USA for Africa)  
38. Hazel O'Connor (Ferry Aid)  
39. Marlon Jackson (The Jacksons)  
40. Celine Dion   

Four people I posted in the 2022 salvage lot thread proved to be misses for the #1 Hits team: Judith Durham (my 2nd substitute), Anita Pointer (24), Bernard Cribbins (25), and Meat Loaf (34).

In this spoiler box is Unpersons, my regular theme team of Big Brother housemates. Below it are 20 more people who were in consideration for the team.

Spoiler

Last year's position on the team is given in brackets, where applicable.

1. (2) James Whale
2. (1) Linda Nolan
3. (new) Andrew Tate
4. (new) Chris Ellison
5. (5) Julie Goodyear
6. (7) Ron Atkinson
7. (9) Gary Busey
8. (8) Amanda Barrie
9. (11) Germaine Greer
10. (10) Dirk Benedict
11. (re) Paddy Doherty
12. (re) Danniella Westbrook
13. (new) Jenna Jameson
14. (new) Farrah Abraham
15. (re) Stephen Bear
16. (re) Marco Pierre White Jr.
17. (re) Kim Woodburn
18. (new) Angie Bowie
19. (new) Michael Madsen
20. (20) Lauren Harries

SUBSTITUTES:

21. Ken Morley #6 last year
22. Jessica Alves  
23. Jackiey Budden  

24. Becki Seddiki #3 last year
25. Adele Roberts #4 last year
26. Christopher Biggins #12 last year
27. Bruce Jones  
28. Michael Barrymore  
29. Wayne Sleep  
30. Winston McKenzie #14 last year
31. Kellie Maloney  
32. Tila Tequila  
33. Carole Vincent  
34. James Cosmo  
35. Alexander O'Neal  
36. Ann Widdecombe  
37. Daniel Baldwin #15 last year
38. Renee Graziano #18 last year
39. Paul Danan  
40. Kavana  

None of the people I posted in the 2022 salvage lot thread proved to be misses for the Unpersons team.

In this spoiler box is Special:RandomInCategory/Living_people, my regular theme team of 20 people whittled down from 4000 random biographies on Wikipedia. Below it are 20 more people who were in consideration for the team.

Spoiler

Names are presented as they are in their Wikipedia article titles, bracketed segments included; nevertheless, given the broad range of claims to fame and relative obscurity of the picks, I've included an extra column to clarify what they're known for.

1. Karl Bushby Adventurer trying to walk an unbroken path around the world; planning to swim the Caspian Sea in 2023
2. Micheline Bernardini First ever bikini model in 1946
3. Blueface American rapper
4. Simon Townsend Australian TV presenter (Simon Townsend's Wonder World)
5. Joe Scarborough (artist) Sheffield painter
6. Bill Rasmussen ESPN founder
7. Arthur Fry Inventor of the Post-It note
8. Sonja de Lennart Inventor of capri pants
9. Sidney J. Furie Film director (The Ipcress File, Iron Eagle, Superman IV)
10. Frank Bruno Boxer
11. Valentine Strasser Ousted leader of Sierra Leone
12. Stephen Trombley British-American author, filmmaker, songwriter
13. Melker Schörling Swedish billionaire
14. Ron Medich Australian businessman, in prison for ordering a contract murder
15. Ghairat Baheer Afghan politician, CIA torture victim
16. Johnny Rodz Pro wrestler
17. Mike Nussbaum Really old actor
18. Muthoni Likimani Kenyan author
19. Benjamin Blech American rabbi
20. Jesse Horn American author and illustrator

SUBSTITUTES:

21. Maurice Robert Johnston British Army officer
22. Nasser Fahimi Iranian political prisoner
23. Norman Lloyd-Edwards Lord Lieutenant of South Glamorgan 1990-2008

24. Tariq Ramadan Swiss Islamic academic
25. Tikhon (Shevkunov) Russian bishop, Putin's “personal confessor”
26. Béla Kovács (politician, 1960) Hungarian politician/Russian spy
27. Willie Benegas Mountaineer
28. Frances Manners, Duchess of Rutland Dowager
29. Bob Quinn (filmmaker) Irish director (Poitín, Atlantean)
30. Janette Oke Canadian “inspirational fiction” author (When Calls the Heart)
31. Elsie Kelly Noreen in Benidorm
32. Tony Kay English footballer of 1964 betting scandal notoriety
33. Chan Ho-tin Hong Kong independence activist
34. Jay Garner US army general, de facto leader of Iraq post-Saddam
35. Stan Brittain 1950s British cyclist
36. Joseph Herbert (neuroscientist) Cambridge professor
37. Matthew Katz Lawsuit-loving music manager (Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape)
38. Allen Weisselberg Jailed CFO of Trump Organization
39. Frank Kabui Solomon Islands Governor General (2009-2019)
40. Peter Schlesinger David Hockney's muse

None of the people I posted in the 2022 salvage lot thread proved to be misses for the Living_people team.

Nigel Starmer Smith only made subs bench - no real current info and sadly you can last a long time in the terrible state Starmer Smith was already in over 12 months ago.

Mutulu Shakur only made subs bench - people who get released from prison on health grounds seem to last longer than I would expect them to.

Dick Caine - didn't want him in my team and again accused people claiming terminal illnesses always seems a risky route.

Tim Keller - presumed won't get a QO

Steve Woodmore - couldn't quite fast talk his way into my team - QO felt risky

Dikembe Mutombo - not enough info on his brain tumour

Don West - don't know enough about wrestling for QOs so stay clear (but they all seem to get one!) - obviously got really lucky here with his 31/12 death

Jeremiah Green - haha hit the jackpot with him dying on 31st too :-)

Ady Barkan - two ALS already in my team was enough

Jimmy Carter and Larry Pressler - old and will die soon but how soon? (as they were both in my team last year likelihood is they'll both die in 2023).

On 01/01/2023 at 20:37, Spade_Cooley said:

Toon Greebe - darts player who had a foot amputated three years ago, and the opposite leg amputated in 2022. We've seen this pattern before and I'm not predicting a triumphant return to the oche for him.

I wonder if they have wheelchair darts and they could lower the board?

Banana Bruises:

1. Henry Dickerson --- Slight QO risk, Yahoo likely. Wouldn't have been D40. Being in hospice for as long as he has with no clear diagnosis might make this a Bill Freehan/Rembert Weakland type situation.
  2. Michael Tilson Thomas --- 7-pointer, 50/50 D40, just didn't quite make it.
  3. Steve DiMeglio --- His treatment seems to be intense, but still very active on socials, so ultimately decided against it. Would probably obit.
  4. David Linden --- 8-pointer that wouldn't D40. Wasn't too intrigued.
  5. Dick Caine --- Same as above, but less points.
  6. Lloyd Clark Fletcher --- Didn't know if I'm getting bamboozled again by these fuckers.
  7. Christopher Fowler --- Was a solo last year for me, so higher likelihood would remain so. His terminal cancer further spread, but still doesn't seems quite bad. Good blog.
  8. Richard Holliday --- Stage 4 Hodgkin's with unknown spread (tmk), so couldn't really be too confident
  9. Alan Dean Foster --- MIA
  10. Toni Hilland --- 1-2 year prognosis, not quite there
  11. Denny Crum --- Hospice, but only 6 points
  12. Kate Keltie --- Probably one of my biggest flubs. On second look should have picked. Just compared her too heavily to the likes of ONJ and Doherty, but didn't consider the spread to the blood. Who knows.
  13. Michael Silverblatt --- Somebody mentioned him on the forums in the last couple months. Went and looked at his Wiki page edits and people seem to really not understand wtf is going on here, so actually seems quite serious whatever is going on.
  14. Ted Kaczynski --- fuck it why not
  15. Andy Taylor --- D40 basically guaranteed, prostate cancer can take a long ass time as Bill Turnbull demonstrates
  16. Zoleka Mandela --- On paper her cancer spread would make you think she's a sure thing, but looks way too healthy and active on socials
  17. Miroslav Blazevic --- Probably like a 80% chance at going but that 20% is more like a 50%. No bonuses either, was a sub.
  18. Rodion Amirov --- The whole thing seems pretty fishy. Leaves his NA team to go back home for more treatment. You'd think treatment from a top professional organization would be better than whatever is available in Russia, so makes me think it has something to do with being closer to family. Terrible situation.
  19. Nick Anderton --- Assuming no spread, he should make it but osteosarcoma is not good.

Others I didn't feel like picking:

1. Randy Jackson (didn't feel too keen on buying into speculation, regardless of his appearance)
  2. Ryuichi Sakamoto (should have bought in, didn't realize his popularity was quite as high, still think will make it to 2024 but I'm not as confident as I once was)
  3. Chris Stone
  4. Dikembe Mutombo
  5. Janey Godley
  6. Rhod Gilbert (I like him)

People I regret not picking:

1. Princess Bajrakitiyabha (news came too late)
  2. Joe Doering

3. Stephen Rezza (found way too late and tmk no one found, the late Christina Grimmie's bf at the time, glioblastoma)

• Like 1

Those that didn't make it:

Survivors from last year

Shaun of the Dead 69

Milos Zeman :Risky drop as drop 40 but his health has been more stable over the last year.

Khaleda Zia :Biggest mistake on last year's list.Not convinced she is ill as she says 

Gordon McQueen:Read too much in December 2021 about his swallowing difficulties.Has deteriorates but still possible too soon for him to go as was diagnosed only 2 years ago.Also now 70 so worth less points.

Previous picks not brought back

Jimmy Carter:Although guaranteed Drop 40 just not enough points or indications he is highly likely to go this year.

Rosalyn Carter:Same as above 

Katherine Jackson:Frail but nothing to make me think it was sensible enough to bring her back especially at her age.

Queen Sirikit:No real news and same as the two above.Considered picking her granddaughter but figured she could still recover and become a wasted pick.

Suzanne Mubarak: Not ill enough publicly or likely to even be a unique.

Superstar Billy Graham : Lost toes last year but nearly 80 so about to slip down the points ladder plus has been ill for donkeys years and doesn't seem to be rapidly deteriorating.

Amy Price:Had her on the list then swapped her out as so many names I wanted to include plus seems dangerously close to being FFBI.

Jake The Snake Roberts: Won't make old bones but still out and about.

Mark Gastineau: No news but no room to bring back.Unlikely to be a unique.

Kenny Sansom : Still sober

Val Kilmer:No reason to believe he is in danger anymore.

Paul Gascoigne:No  negative news recently and has slipped down the popularity ladder of players in recent years.

Michael Schumacher:No news likely to go on for years.

Kris Hallenga:Still appwaears stable and unlikely to be a unique.

Amanda Bynes: Still unstable but not unstable enough to pick again

Potential new picks I decided against

Ronnie Atkins (Subs bench) Incurable cancer but could see the year out.Slight Qo concerns.

Carolyn Bryant Donham : Worried she would already be dead and it not be reported as due to the allegations surrounding her means family may hide it for a while.Simply not worth the risk especially for someone in their 80s.

Malachy McCourt:Too old.Will die but wouldn't make the Drop 40 pointless

Joanne Woodward: Figured she would make the Drop 40 bit already had too many older people.

Olivia Hussey:History of cancer which returned and potential unique seems prudent given recent news about the lawsuit

Patrick Murray:In remission from lung cancer but has COPD.Doubted he would be unique or was ill enough.

Vanessa Redgrave:Too old and not ill enough to pick.Wont drop 40

Chris Denning:Interesting name but figured Maryport would pick him so less points as not unique so not worth it.

Pasquall Maragall:Possible unique but too old and not guaranteed to he unique.

Neil Wolfe:As above

Larry Pressler:Now 80 and looked well recently but pancreatic cancer is lethal and relentless.Too old though 

Pervez Musharraf:Turns 80 in August and doesn't seem as ill as was suggested last summer.

Jim Sweeney:Comedian figured wouldn't be unique and MS is dodgy.

Mike Peters, Dave Myers and Rhod Gilbert ,Sarah Beeny , Malandra Burrows :Have cancer but prognosis unclear to ascertain making them too risky.

Mutulu Shakur :No room

Jeremiah Green:Wasn't convinced he would due.Right call made for the wrong reasons there.

Steve Woodmore  and Tim Keller:QO concerns.

Christy Dignam:Professional coffin tease.

Michael Tilson Thomas:No room

Andy Dick, Bam Margera  and Artie Lange:Tempted but too risky as to whether they will die in 2023.

Ruth Buzzi, Stella Stevens ,Priscilla Pointer ,Frances Sternhagen , Valerie Perrine, Richard Franklin,Barry ,William Russell ( All eligible for Slippery Soap but not the room and didn't want the team to descend into a majority of guest stars)

Ysanne Churchman,Arnold Yarrow,Elizabeth Kelly and June Spencer :Old but not unique

William Roache and Barbara Knox ( Dropped from Slippery Soap as still active and looking OK.Similar story for Derek Martin.

Norman Bowler :Now 90 so less points plus read his Dad made 94 so am hoping he will last a bit longer.

Other drops Patricia Routledge and Doreen Mantle (Just on previously as old No room to retain them)

Subs for Slippery Soap:

Bryan Murray:Dementia but only 3 years since diagnosis and still working.

Cheryl Murray:MS but that can go on for ages and ages.

Lorraine Chase:Just a hunch based on appearance and previous ill health.Figured she could be a unique but too much of a hunch.

No more expenses 

Drops 

John Prescott :No new news of illness.

Michael Heseltine: Not making the Drop 40 and unique plus still active and looks well.

David Winnick :Not a unique last year and goes down in points mid 2023

James Mackay:Dropped due to lack of room.Looked good before he retired.Was first sub .May well regret this one.

Michael Jopling:Not unique and wanted to shake the list up.

Kenneth Baker:Still seemingly active so dropped

George Howarth:Was ill but nothing new on him.

Rosie Cooper:Terribly misjudged pick so Dropped.

Names not brought back

Dick Taverne:Still in the Lords looks good not unique.

Betty Boothroyd :Was on the draft but removed for Nigel Lawson due to space

Jane Campbell:I'll and on oxygen but relatively young.

Nick Boles: Still in remission as far as anyone knows.

David Steel:Retired from the Lords but still looks good as of last year.

Geoffrey Robinson:No new news and not unique.

Ken Clarke:Still active and not showing any signs of decline.

Subs:

Sir Roger Syms:Possible unique but didn't want to drop names to make room

Bill O'Brien:As above

• Like 1

Biggest mistake was forgetting  about Charlie Bird which I did yet again here.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2023 at 08:27, Octopus of Odstock said:

Finally, Mark Stokes - I suspect he's already dead and would end up being a wasted DDP pick. I suspect Oxford Uni will announce he died before or around Christmas when they return in the New Year.

BF1616BA-0B77-4953-8566-516A69303482.gif

On 01/01/2023 at 12:37, Spade_Cooley said:

Seemingly a correct assessment now he's reported dead. More than likely not to obit, do you think?

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Seemingly a correct assessment now he's reported dead. More than likely not to obit, do you think?

Not the biggest name in arrows history but I think dying at this time of the year, when there's a lot of darts tournaments going on, gives him a significantly higher chance of QOing than if he'd gone in March.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2023 at 12:37, Spade_Cooley said:

John Calvin - possibly wrongfully imprisoned murderer rather than the reformation cleric. Seemingly dying but not getting much traction outside of regional press without a Yahoo link.

Daniel N. Paul - pretty important First Nations historian, but again didn't want to be reliant on QOs that never came.

Eric Angle - no news whatsoever since his kidney cancer announcement. Did he get a transplant? Christ knows.

Mutulu Shakur - definitely feel like he's got another 12 months in him

Four dead and QOing so far, if I was Eric Angle I'd update my will.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Four dead and QOing so far, if I was Eric Angle I'd update my will.

When did Daniel N Paul get a QO. He’s still in the LOTL currently so if there’s a QO out there you know about that we don’t…

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Not the biggest name in arrows history but I think dying at this time of the year, when there's a lot of darts tournaments going on, gives him a significantly higher chance of QOing than if he'd gone in March.

Well well well: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/darts/toon-greebe-dead-van-gerwen-31203540

• Like 1